PDA

View Full Version : Possible reasons for backfiring?

werty
08-16-2004, 08:58 PM
I was wondering what might be the problem when a car starts to backfire. I guess i never thought about it before, and was recently wondering about it.

My friends 98 jeep wrangler started doing it yesterday and died out in the middle of nowhere and we were kinda scared, thankfully the jeep managed to get us back to the road. Anyways, does anyone know what makes the engine backfire?

Thanks, werty.

TheOne
08-16-2004, 09:19 PM
there's bad timing, bad spark/spark plug wires(had 2 change the spark plug wires on my eclipse cause it was startin to backfire, usually its cause of loose spark plug wire), but since i don't think your friend has changed the timing, then he might wanna check the wires...and maybe(maybe) the spark plugs.

lithuanianmafia
08-16-2004, 09:26 PM
potato lodged in the tailpipe? lol, j/k, what TheOne said is the probable reason for the backfiring

DodgeNitroBIRM
08-16-2004, 10:51 PM
If the timing chain/belt is worn or thrown, it can still affect the timing. Being a 98, it is OBD-II, so, you might want to get that fixed in a hurry!!! Bad timing=bent valves. Ask anyone who owned a Ford Probe 4cyl. that had it's belt thrown. :eek: :( :mad:

KnifeEdge_2K1
08-17-2004, 02:11 PM
if the timing belt breaks or snaps then the piston could strike a valve
thats bad ... to say the least

TheOne
08-17-2004, 02:26 PM
it is bad.....at least that happened to my 240sx(put bad timing, valves got hit by the pistons, almost 0 compression on each cylinder with a compression test)

KnifeEdge_2K1
08-19-2004, 03:36 PM
it is bad.....at least that happened to my 240sx(put bad timing, valves got hit by the pistons, almost 0 compression on each cylinder with a compression test)

dude if the valves got hit by the pistons usually the engine is dead ... well not as bad as the cracking the block but you'll have to replace like everything after that, did it still run !!?! :confused:

TheOne
08-19-2004, 05:12 PM
don't have to replace the block but i do have to replace the head.....and the valves and what not....and set the timing the RIGHT way. now....i trully don't think the pistons or the block got cracked as the engine was only cranked once or twice....till the valves got vent

werty
08-22-2004, 10:07 AM
well we finally got his jeep working again, the fuel pump had a short in it and was shuting off when ever he gave it gas, so we replaced it and now its back and running better than ever before, and has alot more power then it used to have :)