PDA

View Full Version : WRX STi vs. EVO VIII

jake21
08-29-2003, 08:49 AM
I would like to hear what you think about each of these cars. The cars a very close in price but which would you choose and why. include anything that you think would possibly help my decision. I plan on purchasing within the year. I'd apperciate any help.

r34_296kw
08-29-2003, 09:14 PM
get a skyline r34 involved n both will b smoked badly

Egg Nog
08-30-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by r34_296kw
get a skyline r34 involved n both will b smoked badly

Get a Top Fuel Dragster involved "n" both will "b" smoked badly...

He asked a very simple question. Shut up and answer it, or don't post. Sorry to sound like an ass, but this kind of thing really ticks me off.

Anyway...

Personally, I favour the Lancer EVO. It's less well-mannered and a slightly slower car than the STi despite being faster to 60 (because the Scooby requires an upshift to 3rd before it hits the mark). So why do I pick it? First off, I like the styling better, and secondly, it's more hard to control. And I love that in a car. :p

kinan.f
08-30-2003, 02:17 PM
The WRX Sti seems more civilized than the Evo to me especially after being facelifted recently..

more-boost1555
09-02-2003, 12:46 PM
I think I'd take the STI, just so I could say I had three hundred horse from a four-banger. I like the styling better too, with the ridiculously huge scoop ramming air into the intercooler.

r34_296kw
09-02-2003, 10:12 PM
umm yeah...get a lancer evo......kinda better.....but still im tellin u dont waste your money on these cars...just go and get a nissan skyline r34.....the handlings way better, the speeds way better and even the looks are better.

piledriver
09-03-2003, 05:58 AM
why do you compare different kinds of cars?
if he wanted to know if the skyline is better or faster, he must asked...

Technically, I prefer the subaru, cos I think is engine and all its mechanics are stronger than EVO...
but the looks of the EVO is more aggressive and I think itīs better than subaru....

Egg Nog
09-03-2003, 10:00 PM
umm yeah...get a lancer evo......kinda better.....but still im tellin u dont waste your money on these cars...just go and get a nissan skyline r34.....the handlings way better, the speeds way better and even the looks are better.

Okay, you are beyond obsessed. There are actually quite a few cars out there that you could get going much faster than those two or a Skyline. Also, that picture you posted wasn't of a stock skyline, or even an R34 for that matter.

And are you saying an R34 Skyline can outhandle either of these two cars? Doubtful. It's not even that much faster than either of them. Wait a second...

----------
Nissan R34 Skyline GT-R: 0-60 in 5.2 seconds (Supercarsite.com & Derek's Exotic Cars)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII: 0-60 in 4.6 seconds (Motor Trend)
Subaru Impreza WRX Sti: 0-60 in 4.9 seconds (Motor Trend)
----------

Okay, so it in fact is not faster than either of those two... and it's also not available to purchase for a huge portion of the members on this forum.

The Skyline is a car, albeit a nice car. However, it's not a deity. Or the subject of this thread. So shut up.

r34_296kw
09-03-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Egg Nog
Okay, you are beyond obsessed. There are actually quite a few cars out there that you could get going much faster than those two or a Skyline. Also, that picture you posted wasn't of a stock skyline, or even an R34 for that matter.

And are you saying an R34 Skyline can outhandle either of these two cars? Doubtful. It's not even that much faster than either of them. Wait a second...

----------
Nissan R34 Skyline GT-R: 0-60 in 5.2 seconds (Supercarsite.com & Derek's Exotic Cars)
----------

Okay, so it in fact is not faster than either of those two... and it's also not available to purchase for a huge portion of the members on this forum.

The Skyline is a car, albeit a nice car. However, it's not a deity. Or the subject of this thread. So shut up.

so wat? a skyline is a skyline and has proven to beat any subaru or evo in a street race........the skyline is known as a beast waiting to be unleashed.........the evo is a good example of the skylines minian......besides bishi makes beta cars dan subaru:p

crisis
09-04-2003, 01:03 AM
so wat? a skyline is a skyline and has proven to beat any subaru or evo in a street race........the skyline is known as a beast waiting to be unleashed.........the evo is a good example of the skylines minian......besides bishi makes beta cars dan subaru:p
If you want any credibility you might want to justify at least some of you comments with technical or recorded evidence. " A Skyline is a Skyline " isnt one. Also broad and sweeping generalisations leave themselves open to ridicule. ie " ... proven to beat any subaru or evo in a street race. " Maybe your street or your races but the world is full of streets and I cant beleive you've seen them all. Finally "bishi makes beta cars dan subaru" may need a little more explanation.

Falcon500
09-04-2003, 04:25 AM
Their both great i like the sube better as i want one to be my next econo car you know a dayly driver with balls (obviously not the model we are talking about) but yeah suberu make nice cars but mitsubishi supplys my pay packet so id have to say get the mitsu.:p

Misho
09-04-2003, 10:04 PM
this thread is another amazing example of the crap you get in these forums by either young kids or dedicated brand lovers that are too blind to see anything else !!

Anyways, both cars are more than amazing!! They are pretty much similar in every category so its up to personal prefrence i guess. in my case, ill take the WRX coz it looks better and has slightly better gas mileage.

r34_296kw
09-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by crisis
If you want any credibility you might want to justify at least some of you comments with technical or recorded evidence. " A Skyline is a Skyline " isnt one. Also broad and sweeping generalisations leave themselves open to ridicule. ie " ... proven to beat any subaru or evo in a street race. " Maybe your street or your races but the world is full of streets and I cant beleive you've seen them all. Finally "bishi makes beta cars dan subaru" may need a little more explanation. bishi aka mitsubishi

crisis
09-04-2003, 10:25 PM
bishi aka mitsubishi
Well I give up. Anyone else want to try?

r34_296kw
09-05-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Misho
this thread is another amazing example of the crap you get in these forums by either young kids or dedicated brand lovers that are too blind to see anything else !!

Anyways, both cars are more than amazing!! They are pretty much similar in every category so its up to personal prefrence i guess. in my case, ill take the WRX coz it looks better and has slightly better gas mileage. 2 b honest i dun give a shit if egg nog is pissed 4 all i care he can fertilize a rotten egg n die n i wont give a shit

fpv_gtho
09-05-2003, 03:18 AM
r34_296kw, i think the whole forum is getting sick of you right about now. whats so precious about skylines thats made u try and weave them intp most of the categories in this forum, shit, u even posted a forum in the australian cars section seeing whether a skyline was better than a ford or holden.

anyway, out of the wrx and evo, id take the evo, not cause the wrx is a gm product and im a ford fan, i just reckon the evo looks more aggresive on the road

fpv_gtho
09-05-2003, 03:20 AM
if i had my choice though out of every jap car made in the last 10 years, id probably take a twin turbo rx-7

r34_296kw
09-05-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by fpv_gtho
r34_296kw, i think the whole forum is getting sick of you right about now. whats so precious about skylines thats made u try and weave them intp most of the categories in this forum, shit, u even posted a forum in the australian cars section seeing whether a skyline was better than a ford or holden.

anyway, out of the wrx and evo, id take the evo, not cause the wrx is a gm product and im a ford fan, i just reckon the evo looks more aggresive on the road

go get ****ed......i dun give a shit bout losers like u

fpv_gtho
09-05-2003, 03:48 AM
well i got news for u........... nobody gives a shit about u either

Falcon500
09-05-2003, 03:58 AM
Thank you you sheep shagger you have really given me a good kick with all the crap you have been posting your ignorence makes me laugh keep it up:D ps we dont care about you for all we care you could eat shit and die and we would hardly notice have a nice day.

fpv_gtho
09-08-2003, 02:49 AM
i think we would notice if the forums lost their element of stupidity

Falcon500
09-08-2003, 03:32 AM
Yeah but it wouldent last if ive lernt anything in life its that once you get rid of an idiot one replaces it!

Egg Nog
09-08-2003, 08:58 PM
Well, I was among the first of the members on these forums, and I've noticed that it's actually quite predictable.

First off, you get one idiot who thinks he's the King of car knowledge. Apperently a prerequesite of being the village idiot is to claim ownership of some sort of a sweet car. He doesn't.

Soon, this user will be shut down by myself or another sane forum member. After about a moth or so, his arguments will be reduced to inappropriate commentary about the other users, and blatant insults.

Does anyone else notice this trend?

fpv_gtho
09-08-2003, 10:18 PM
yeah theres always got to be a village idiot, even on a forum

crisis
09-08-2003, 10:23 PM
I dont mind playing with idiots like this. But I wish he could progress with the subject and at least be creative with his abuse. In this case I think he has reached the limits of his intelligence.

r34_296kw
09-08-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Falcon500
Thank you you sheep shagger you have really given me a good kick with all the crap you have been posting your ignorence makes me laugh keep it up:D ps we dont care about you for all we care you could eat shit and die and we would hardly notice have a nice day. we shag em sheeps n send it 2 u bloody usless n good 4 nothing aussies 2 eat:p usless pieces of shit u aussies r

fpv_gtho
09-08-2003, 11:41 PM
so u do shag them sheeps then, im not a big eater of lamb anyway

r34_296kw
09-08-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by fpv_gtho
so u do shag them sheeps then, im not a big eater of lamb anyway but ur mum is:p

fpv_gtho
09-08-2003, 11:49 PM
omg only a 12 yesr old would come up with an insult that lame, grow up will ya

Egg Nog
09-09-2003, 09:37 PM
r34_296kw endlessly continues to further my point :)

r34_296kw
09-09-2003, 11:57 PM
yo jake21...just go n buy a freakin evo...end of story...besides i hear dat evo is a gud car...subaru is good for rally...so is evo...but an evo is beta...afta all the 'so called know-it-alls' here say dat evo can do 0 - 60 faster dan a wrx

Egg Nog
09-10-2003, 06:36 PM
...but an evo is beta...afta all the 'so called know-it-alls' here say dat evo can do 0 - 60 faster dan a wrx

First of all, it's not a huge claim without any substance. It's how Road and Track magazine reported it. Wow! A real reference. I didn't just say that "an evo iz fastAr cuz its a evo".

Secondly, nobody called me a know-it-all. This means that you can't call me a "so called" know-it-all. I don't claim to know more than anyone else on this forum, and if it appears that way, its because of how you perceive my posts. If you insist on calling me that, thank you.

r34_296kw
09-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Egg Nog
First of all, it's not a huge claim without any substance. It's how Road and Track magazine reported it. Wow! A real reference. I didn't just say that "an evo iz fastAr cuz its a evo".

Secondly, nobody called me a know-it-all. This means that you can't call me a "so called" know-it-all. I don't claim to know more than anyone else on this forum, and if it appears that way, its because of how you perceive my posts. If you insist on calling me that, thank you. Did i call u a "so called no-it-all"? NO. end of story.

fpv_gtho
09-11-2003, 12:44 AM
i cant see this being the end of it

Falcon500
09-11-2003, 03:58 AM
This guys a clown he admits to ****ing sheep and then he says our mother eat lamb yeah this guys a bright one :rolleyes: halfwit

r34_296kw
09-11-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Falcon500
This guys a clown he admits to ****ing sheep and then he says our mother eat lamb yeah this guys a bright one :rolleyes: halfwit hey man ur momma needs sum 'lige givin milk' which ma sheep give her

Falcon500
09-12-2003, 03:06 AM
hey man ur momma needs sum 'lige givin milk' which ma sheep give her
And what was that supposed to mean? Was that even supposed to be offensive? or even make sense? im at a loss here:confused:

sandwich
09-12-2003, 01:33 PM
what the sh!t?

honestly man? what are you doing?

as for the car comparison, and the topic of this thread, i would vote for the wrx because I'm in love with horizontally opposed engines, and the subajoo is a great example of one. The new one looks better than last years too, if it were a 2003 i'd say evo.

Egg Nog
09-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Did i call u a "so called no-it-all"? NO. end of story.

Actually you did. You said "afta all the 'so called know-it-alls' here say dat evo can do 0 - 60 faster dan a wrx". I was the only person who had claimed that, so obviously you were talking about me.

Stop being picky about tiny details and rebut the actaul point that I was making. In case you missed it, I'll post it again:

"First of all, it's not a huge claim without any substance. It's how Road and Track magazine reported it. Wow! A real reference. I didn't just say that "an evo iz fastAr cuz its a evo"."

megotmea7
09-12-2003, 06:39 PM
im just LMAO at this kid... :p :p :p

"hey man ur momma needs sum 'lige givin milk' which ma sheep give her"
ahahahaha, if hes good for anything hes good for a laugh... but it can get old

r34_296kw
09-12-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by megotmea7
im just LMAO at this kid... :p :p :p

"hey man ur momma needs sum 'lige givin milk' which ma sheep give her"
ahahahaha, if hes good for anything hes good for a laugh... but it can get old well i am funny at times wen im in a gud mood...thanx 4 noticing it :p

megotmea7
09-12-2003, 08:42 PM
well i was laughing more at the idiocy, nonsense, and horrible spelling of the post than your sense of humor but you still made me laugh either way :)

crisis
09-14-2003, 06:03 PM
the use of sarcasm or subtle humor is wasted on a dip shit like him. Unless you come straight out and infer his mother participates in unnatural acts with sheep or is fat/ugly or a slut, he doesnt understand he is getting a spray. Still it gives everyone else a laugh.

cloudcar2000
10-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Well my vote would have to go to the STi. I have seen the numbers and the time slips, and honestly I have to say that I would rather have 300hp & 300ft-lbs of torque any day. It has "brute horsepower(sport compact car)." Sometimes, especially in a 1/4 mile run, that is what matters the most and the Subie delivers. 271hp US-spec Lancer Evo VIII just doesn't seem up to be able to make the cut when you look at it. Now the only Lancer Evo that would make a difference is the UK-spec Evo VIII FQ300, which comes stock with 301 tuned horsepower and 300 ft-lbs of torque. And we all know with numbers like that, the Evo could surely sway the polls. But still, I choose the Subaru. It has much more room to improve because the aftermarket parts are readily available and also a little cheaper because so many companies anticipated it's release. The sad part is this is coming from a person who is still in love with the Evo VI Lancer!!!

NoOne
10-04-2003, 08:24 PM
My vote is for the Subaru ..... I think they look more agressive, I really don't think you'd go wrong with either one tho.

I've never heard anything bad about Subarus, people who own them seem to really love them, I saw an article in a mag years ago claiming that Subarus were tops in owner satisfaction.

Later

Batmobile_Turbo
10-05-2003, 09:29 PM

Oh, Oh! i've got an idea!!! how about a Bugatti veyron V.S a nissan skyline. the skylines better because........................................... ................................................
r34_296kw, hey maybe this guy could be the next chevy_sucks or guyt_x.

anyway, i like the rugged looks of the lancer more than the subaru, i'm not big on subaru or mitsubishi anyway.

Motorer1
11-03-2003, 12:16 PM
Dude, it is a fifty-fifty split!!!

junoskinner
01-21-2004, 07:11 AM
Well I give up. Anyone else want to try?
Egg nog is a dweeb. What can you say? I daresay he is barely out of puberty and hense doesnt even own a car let alone an evo, a rex or an R34. Who, with any form of intelligence, has ever called mitsubishi "bishi" before. Christ he sounds like he's 3. Lets face it eggnog, R34's are great cars, but don't even come close to belonging in the shadow of an evo VIII or an STI.
On the forum, I personally would choose the EVO, because well it seems to me that everyone with enough money owns a WRX anyway, and well you see a rex and think "oh, another rex" you look at th evo viii and they seem to stare back and say, "what the hell are you looking at? F*ck off, I'm an evo"!!! There you are.

fpv_gtho
01-21-2004, 08:02 AM
your obviously new to the forums cause your not realising the result of saying things like that about a respected forum meber such as Egg Nog

Egg Nog
01-21-2004, 07:53 PM
Egg nog is a dweeb. What can you say? I daresay he is barely out of puberty and hense doesnt even own a car let alone an evo, a rex or an R34. Who, with any form of intelligence, has ever called mitsubishi "bishi" before. Christ he sounds like he's 3. Lets face it eggnog, R34's are great cars, but don't even come close to belonging in the shadow of an evo VIII or an STI.
On the forum, I personally would choose the EVO, because well it seems to me that everyone with enough money owns a WRX anyway, and well you see a rex and think "oh, another rex" you look at th evo viii and they seem to stare back and say, "what the hell are you looking at? F*ck off, I'm an evo"!!! There you are.

Thanks man, your maturity and logic are always welcomed.

I'm not going to bother rebutting, because I don't really understand most of the emnity that you seem to have for me. I'm not going to delete this post, because that's censorship.

I'm impressed that you're one of seemingly few users who actually took the time to write something more than 5 or 6 words long. Anyway, I never said that the Skyline wasn't a great car. I just posted statistics that I'd found; some actual subtance to base my claims on, as I've never driven any of the three, and therefore can't offer that perspective. Is there something wrong with that?

Ta-da... wow, posting without needless, irrelevent hatred. :)

Anyway, at least UCP's got itself another user. Welcome to the forums, see you around the boards.

sandwich
01-21-2004, 08:52 PM
retarded.

I apologize by comparing this thread with the mentally handicapped, i hope they don't feel insulted.

I just read and discovered the Sti had 300 horses...yeah i didn't know. I think it looks gorgeous. The evo probably would have been my choice compared with a stock wrx, but the sti is tits.

Falcon500
01-22-2004, 04:26 AM
Wow such ignorence this guys lowring the forum here.
And as for the subaru i recently drove a 02 model (not the exact subject but itll be similar) for work (the subaru section detailer was off sick and i got to handel some of his orders) and it was a fun drive it was quick it stuck to the road (despite the fact i couldent feel it though the stearing wheel) and it sure did pull a lot more attention then the BMWs i drive around the place. I enjoyed the drive and would happily own one...in say 10 years time when the price is more to my satisfaction. I aksed the salesman from the sube dealer how much it was worth and he said about as much as a basic BMW.

fpv_gtho
01-22-2004, 04:47 AM
it mustve been a liberty then cause impreza's go from just under $30K to about $55K for the STI and the basic 318ti starts just under the $57K luxury car tax barrier. i think a new liberty wouldve been even better still to drive though

Falcon500
01-22-2004, 05:28 AM
He was refering to the bland cars in the used dealership...i should of mentiond that :rolleyes: my bad...well anyways i have driven a liberty too it was quite a nice drive and ive posted this in here as welleventhough the rubber floor mats and other such features were tacky they were easy to clean and seemed quite resliant to being damaged....if they wernt worth a hell of a lot (45k the model i drove) i would of willingly taken itoff road if i ownedone.
And if you want bland try a 316 ti without leather $43,750 very uninspiring car...of course they all are untill the 330 but still the au impresses more to be honest.

mechanixfetch
01-24-2004, 03:51 PM
Where is the love eh? Don't you think that you need to do a LITTLE research before you go off on one about Egg Nog who is one of the most well liked, smart, and friendly guys on the fourm. Calling someone a "dweeb" in your first post seems a little excessive. Did you joint this Fourm to talk about our shared passion for cars or to post usless off-topic hate speech. You say that Egg Nog doesn't own a car and is barely out of puberty. Well he actually owns an extremly rare car here in B.C. the Porsche 914 2.0 which he has spent over a year restoring by himself with a little help from your truly and a few others. And he turns 18 in a few days the 26th I think so he is well out of puberty. Really he is a great guy and a good friend, a little too left wing for my taste but still he ranks up there as far as go to guys for car know-how is concerned. Not to mention he has a good paying job and his girl is mighty hot so he is really a sucessful person who devotes hours of time to this fourm making sure everything runs smoothly and ensuring idiots like you don't contaminate the fourms. So to you good Sir I say Bad Fourm! -1

Egg Nog
01-25-2004, 12:09 AM
Where is the love eh? Don't you think that you need to do a LITTLE research before you go off on one about Egg Nog who is one of the most well liked, smart, and friendly guys on the fourm. Calling someone a "dweeb" in your first post seems a little excessive. Did you joint this Fourm to talk about our shared passion for cars or to post usless off-topic hate speech. You say that Egg Nog doesn't own a car and is barely out of puberty. Well he actually owns an extremly rare car here in B.C. the Porsche 914 2.0 which he has spent over a year restoring by himself with a little help from your truly and a few others. And he turns 18 in a few days the 26th I think so he is well out of puberty. Really he is a great guy and a good friend, a little too left wing for my taste but still he ranks up there as far as go to guys for car know-how is concerned. Not to mention he has a good paying job and his girl is mighty hot so he is really a sucessful person who devotes hours of time to this fourm making sure everything runs smoothly and ensuring idiots like you don't contaminate the fourms. So to you good Sir I say Bad Fourm! -1

Dude, totally +1 ;)

Thanks man, I mean it.

cptgunther
01-28-2004, 04:56 PM

Actually, Egg Nog was not the one originally posting those comments, it was another user who seems to have since been banned..

Regarding the original post, I'm not sure which one I would pick, I really haven't seen enough of the EVO to make an informed decision..

crisis
01-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Oh dear! You have attributed my comments that you quoted to being directed at EggNog. They were directed at R34_296kw who started out as a real tosser, developed into someone who tried hard to be human, but ultimately fell foul of the dark side. You to are travelling the very same path.

Falcon500
01-29-2004, 03:25 AM
Well he only has one post i think wemade him fell sooo welcome here.....probly just saved us the trouble of banning him later

LowRdnWRX
02-03-2004, 02:47 PM
undefined Having a WRX Iam of course not going to go with the EVO but I want to add they both have there goods and bads ~ The water injection system on the Evo has the water under the hood which keeps the water hot. The STi keeps the water in the trunk.I found the best way to keep the water cold is to simply add ice just like people put on there innercoolers- since everyone usually meets at 7-11 i just go get a cup of ice and add it before we take off. The shifting of the EVO ( test drove before i went with wrx ) isn't the greatest and the AWD system doesnt come close to subaru ~ basiclly for the price driving the evo and owning the wrx ~ the Evo feels cheaper ~ that and a few other things is the reason I went with the WRX ~ The Evo is pretty though but Iam going to stick with the WRX ~ Well the EVo gets its ass whipped every year by the WRX in the rally circuit. But Im going to say get the WRX !!!!!

turbonium43
02-06-2004, 01:00 PM
You have to look at this comparison from different stand-points, if you are looking for tuning one them the evolution is your best bet. The reason for this is that u can handle up to 500 hp from the stock block because its cast iron. The subaru isnt the easyest thing to work on in this case because of domed pistons and the fact that it is a flat boxer engine. The 4G63 found in the evolution is much more proven its been in many cars withing the last 15 years therefore options for tuning and tuning advice is endless. If you are looking for a daily driver that you wont tune what so ever then most would pick the STi because it comes with more power right off. At the end you have to test both and see which you like better, and besides all the specs ur supposed to have fun in it so before anyone says ones better you should test them.

fpv_gtho
02-06-2004, 07:51 PM
i think they should be able to handle more than 500hp, Motor magazine have done a special on getting 533kw out of an Evo7

turbonium43
02-06-2004, 08:26 PM
i think they should be able to handle more than 500hp, Motor magazine have done a special on getting 533kw out of an Evo7

Im sure it may be capable of more but the highest iv seen so far is the AMS evolution 8 and the example u gave right now.

believeadamn
02-07-2004, 04:16 PM
:o bad choice. pick your nose next time. or a lamborghini.

Egg Nog
02-07-2004, 10:08 PM
:o bad choice. pick your nose next time. or a lamborghini.

What on earth are you talking about?!?

sandwich
02-08-2004, 09:47 AM
you know...the more i read about these cars the less it matters. they're almost identical in every way. The sube is more powerful but heavier, and the US spec evo loses active yaw control. The two cars come down to personal preferance it seems, and I'd still take the subaru...it's just....angrier

It just strikes as more of a purpose built car...whereas the evo appears more of an overgrown lancer...

carlover
02-08-2004, 10:05 AM
I've always liked the subaru better. I love those gold rims. I've also heard it is more powerful.I like the looks of it better than the EVO too. So if I could have either one I would choose the Subaru Impreza WRX STI.

curious
02-09-2004, 02:35 PM
I would like to hear what you think about each of these cars. The cars a very close in price but which would you choose and why. include anything that you think would possibly help my decision. I plan on purchasing within the year. I'd apperciate any help.

I would go with the EVO. I've seen a lot of WRXs on the road. The EVO would be more unique. Plus, the EVO outperforms the WRX. This is straight from Motor Trend:

2004 WRX STi 2003 Evolution

0-60 mph, s 4.87 4.59
1/4-mile, s@mph [email protected] [email protected]
Braking, 60-0, ft 111 106
600-ft slalom, mph 69.1 71.4

whitesti mp626
02-09-2004, 03:27 PM
:confused:

whitesti mp626
02-09-2004, 03:33 PM
I Recently Just Purchased A 04 Aspen White Sti With Gold Wheels. This Machine Is Awesome. I Have Been In A Evo Before And I Dont Think It Is As Nice As The Subaru. The Subaru Feels More Solid And Better Built. Speed Wise........... It Is Quick, To Me It Feels Just As Fast As A M3 Or A Carrera,................but The Evo Is Also A Great Car, Just As Good As The Sti If You Are A Mitsu Fan, So All Up To Perference

Egg Nog
02-09-2004, 08:23 PM
I Recently Just Purchased A 04 Aspen White Sti With Gold Wheels. This Machine Is Awesome. I Have Been In A Evo Before And I Dont Think It Is As Nice As The Subaru. The Subaru Feels More Solid And Better Built. Speed Wise........... It Is Quick, To Me It Feels Just As Fast As A M3 Or A Carrera,................but The Evo Is Also A Great Car, Just As Good As The Sti If You Are A Mitsu Fan, So All Up To Perference

Since when do they offer gold wheels with anything except World Rally Blue?

whitesti mp626
02-10-2004, 01:27 AM
Since when do they offer gold wheels with anything except World Rally Blue?

the STIs available in the us comes standard with gold or silver wheels, your choice. even if the car u want doesnt have gold wheels on it already, the dealership would happily do a swap for you, i know this from personal experience because that is what they did for me.

whitesti mp626
02-10-2004, 01:35 AM
:confused:

does anyone know which aftermarket bov sounds the best for the usdm sti. i just purchased one few days ago and i was looking for a louder bov. if anyone has anything to say please say it . thanks for the info.

STI FOR EVER, I THINK THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST INVESTMENTS I HAVE EVER MADE SO FAR. IM ONLY 22.
THIS CAR IS TOTALLY WORTH THE MONEY, I CANT SEE ANYTHING ELSE IN THIS PRICE RANGE THAT CAN TOP THE STI, THE EVO IS CLOSE THOUGH , BUT FOR ME I JUST LIKE THE STYLING AND STRENGTH OF THE STI

Egg Nog
02-10-2004, 05:38 PM
STI FOR EVER, I THINK THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST INVESTMENTS I HAVE EVER MADE SO FAR. IM ONLY 22.
THIS CAR IS TOTALLY WORTH THE MONEY, I CANT SEE ANYTHING ELSE IN THIS PRICE RANGE THAT CAN TOP THE STI, THE EVO IS CLOSE THOUGH , BUT FOR ME I JUST LIKE THE STYLING AND STRENGTH OF THE STI

Please, don't type in all caps. It's just annoying :)

Anyway, could we get some pictures of this car? Standard procedure for proof around here is your username on a sheet of paper stabbed over the shifter ;) :D

Doza
02-10-2004, 05:52 PM
Haven't driven either car, but, I admire the STi's look alot better than the Evo. Now I've driven both vehicles in SegaGT2002, which is pretty accurate to how the production models feel. In this game, I only have access to the previous generation of STi, and it still beats the Evo. The STi outhandles, horses, and torques the Mitsubishi. But, there is one category the Evo wins in: Sound System, considering the STi doesn't have one.

Burrito
02-10-2004, 06:36 PM
Definatly Lancer for me.... for one it's a lot more exclusive.... everybody seems to have the impreza...

second, the rare opertunities I've had to witness these cars in action (at the same time) the lancer kicked the WRX's ass.....

Last but definatly not least, I think the Sub has been ruined and looks like a toyota

whitesti mp626
02-10-2004, 09:55 PM
are you camparing the lancer to the wrx or the sti. you dont seem to know that. of course a lancer can beat a wrx but we are comparing it to the sti. i dont believe the lancer could kick the stis ass. if anything they are pretty equal, the sti has a faster 1/4 mile time but it is a bit slower on the 0-60. so i think it just depends on the driver.

sorry but i disagree with the fact that a sti or wrx looks like a toyota, if so which one?? im curious.

whitesti mp626
02-10-2004, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE=Egg Nog]Please, don't type in all caps. It's just annoying :)

my bad, on the caps,

give me 1-2 weeks til i get my scanner

Doza
02-10-2004, 10:16 PM
are you camparing the lancer to the wrx or the sti. you dont seem to know that. of course a lancer can beat a wrx but we are comparing it to the sti. i dont believe the lancer could kick the stis ass. if anything they are pretty equal, the sti has a faster 1/4 mile time but it is a bit slower on the 0-60. so i think it just depends on the driver.

sorry but i disagree with the fact that a sti or wrx looks like a toyota, if so which one?? im curious.

STi=Subaru Impreza WRX STi http://www.subaru.com/servlet/showroom?model=IMPREZA&trim=WRX_STI_SEDAN&command=overview

I'm starting to doubt your ownership of an STi, but go ahead and disprove me with a picture, I'll shut up.

crisis
02-10-2004, 11:39 PM
second, the rare opertunities I've had to witness these cars in action (at the same time) the lancer kicked the WRX's ass.....

This is of no value in an uncontrolled demonstration. A "street drag" exposes as much about the driver as about the car.

fpv_gtho
02-11-2004, 01:45 AM
you want a good example about the accuracy of street drags? a friend of mine a while ago came home screaming he blew off a skyline, in an ED Fairmont :rolleyes:

Burrito
02-11-2004, 05:38 AM
err yes I know it also depends on the driver and yes it was the STi.... however we're talking subjectively which car we like better....

As for the Toyota look I didn't mean a particular car but the whole feeling it gives me.... it would fit right in with the other toyota's

whitesti mp626
02-11-2004, 09:50 AM
[QUOTE=Burrito]err yes I know it also depends on the driver and yes it was the STi.... however we're talking subjectively which car we like better....

it is hard to believe that a evo can spank a sti because i have seen both cars win but by just a hair, i have yet to even go past 3500 rpm cause it was just purchased less than a week ago. reply to this and let me know where to post the picture. i should be able to do so in 1 week cause rite now i have no scanner. but where do i post the picture. i am new to this fourm stuff. please help, thanks.

whitesti mp626
02-11-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm starting to doubt your ownership of an STi, but go ahead and disprove me with a picture, I'll shut up.[/QUOTE]

why dont you think i have a sti, is it something that i said. i will prove you but why. when you say wrx, i think u mean wrx, because on your post u never said sti. u said wrx. i just wanted to make sure you knew the difference because they are completely different cars. i got to test drive the wrx before purchasing the sti, and it is completely different. the wrx drives a lot smoother and softer (but kinda slow) but the sti is a lot stiffer and bumpier, the tires also produces some road noise inside the cabin, but the sound of the motor just makes it all better.

if anyone know of a good bov to replace with stock sti one please let me know, what is the difference between a dual stage one and a regular on . any info would be appreciated thanks

whitesti mp626
02-11-2004, 10:08 AM

----------
----------

that was awesome ,
in your face action. that was great egg nog. you put him to rest with that reply. those are great specs and they are correct. i dont know why all the hype about the skyline. dont get me wrong the skyline is a great car but it is just average when it comes to japanese supercars. the skyline is not considered to be a great car in japan. it is rather pretty weak. stock it only has 280 hp and that is a whole 40 less than the supra TT. my buddy visited japan last summer and he told me that when he went to rent a car for a few days he asked for a skyline and the car rental looked at him funny and said , why do u want to rent that, there are many other better cars.......

sorry for being off topic but that was just a great response......... :)

crisis
02-11-2004, 04:38 PM
err yes I know it also depends on the driver and yes it was the STi.... however we're talking subjectively which car we like better....

Im commenting on your ancedote about a race between two cars in an uncontrolled road race. That has nothing to do with what car you or I like better.

Spastik_Roach
02-11-2004, 10:15 PM
Personally I prefer the Subaru. Looks much neater and if for some reason you could only say the maker of your car, Saying "Subaru" would get you much more street-cred than saying "Mitsubishi". And that Skyline..err..freak needs to wake up and smell the petrol. He is the sorta guy who has watched Fast and the Furious 100 times and thinks that Daewoo with NOS in it would smoke a Lamborghini.

KnifeEdge_2K1
02-19-2004, 10:46 PM
if you've already narrowed down ur choice to these 2 cars you can pretty much live with one or the other

the evo actually puts out around 264 bhp at the flywheel which translates to around 230 or so at the wheels, the sti puts out a bit more (refer to aps.com for actual torque and horsepower curves, all based on us equivelant 95 octane gas) 311 which is around 250 give or take at the wheels

im guess if you chose either of these cars you are planning on doing some mods some time in the future, first would probubly come in the form of either engine/fuel management piggy back cpu which increases throttle response and gives u more control over what goes on under the hood, exhaust manafold and a cold air intake would be inexpensive (relative) upgrades which increase power

the main difference between the two cars are in the engines, the sti has 2.5 litre dispalcement, but u cant tap into the true potential of this unless you puy forged pistons (US spec pistons are cast which are big no no) the evo has smaller displacement but more boost, you would probubly buy a boost controller somewhere down the line as well so again its more or less a tie

suspension is EVO all the way, even without the ayc and acd from the japanese version it can still take a turn faster than sti, and if you plan on racing with the car, turning is much more important than power as anyone will tell u, power is useful only for dragraces and/or straitaways (btw personally i think drag races are for pussies)

sorry for rambling but in conclusion the thing is you can take either one you want, if money was a problem for you then you wouldnt be buying either of these cars, it all comes down to which one you think looks nicer, cuz an ugly fast car is still an ugly car :D

KnifeEdge_2K1
02-19-2004, 10:50 PM
sorry for rambling again ... lol
a major mod for sti down the line will be a front mount intercooler (if u plan on going over 380 hp) which will need a turbo mod with it or boost will go down too low (its simple physics if u cant figure it out flush urself down a toilet) and evo can have a larger intercooler installed easily (compared to sti which will need to stay in shop for 1/2 - 1 week)

one very last important note, if u cant drive, dont buy either of these cars, ull get over confident and ram into a pole
it brings a tear to my eye every time i see rich spoiled brats who speed and rear end a guy at 100 ...

fpv_gtho
02-19-2004, 10:58 PM
its only the US spec STI that gets the 2.5L boxer so that means nothing to the non american members, plus i think your being pretty leniant with those power figures at the wheels compared to at the flywheel.

311 at the fly in an AWD car i reckon would make something more like 220hp at the wheels.

also, the australian spec EVO8 has 202kw and the sti has 195kw which equal 270hp and 260hp

Aria
03-01-2004, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure that anyone else has listed this but i didnt want to read all the drama (harsh real-world flashbacks).

basically, read this...

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0307scc_stievo/

its tells pretty much all.

My vote is on the EVO VIII, i have test drove them both myself and i think the response in the evo is better in steering and braking, and the additional HP in the STi usually just spun the times when i tried to floor it. Everybody knows - you dont want to spin tires when your racing/driving.

EVO

Matra et Alpine
03-01-2004, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure that anyone else has listed this but i didnt want to read all the drama (harsh real-world flashbacks).
the additional HP in the STi usually just spun the times when i tried to floor it. Everybody knows - you dont want to spin tires when your racing/driving.

EVO
I've not been in an EVO, but have been on-track and was impressed.

However, I do have to add the obvious.....

The throttle on the Subaru is NOT digital.
There are more than 2 settings ( on|off ) and a driver can use the extra power to actually go faster by using the near infinite number of positions in between :)

I'd go EVO if it's the 3Q, otherwise Subaru - until the new Evo comes out.
These 2 manufacturers are running parallel developments of their platform and each improves slightly on the other at launch to be pushed back into 2nd a few months later !!

Suka
03-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Shear lazyness prevents me from reading the whole of this thread, so if this has already been said then...........be annoyed. I prefer the Subaru, (the following info has been told to me by my Dad so if it is uncontrollably wrong dont shoot me) the subaru is lighter and handles better, it also looks very nice.

whitesti mp626
03-19-2004, 06:07 PM
i just hit 1000 miles on my white sti, i love it to death . evo is great, i will never talk bad about evo. i think anyone talking shit about either cars are stupid, unless they have a supped up supra, 7 , z. .........the list goes on. these two cars are monsters , and cant be compared to anything else.

Cotterik
11-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Evo all the way it just IS better than the Sti

ooh look 31 all lol

Radoman
11-05-2004, 11:26 PM
mr. r34, a skyline is completely irrelevant here. why? because A)It's not officially sold in North America, and B) jake21 didn't ask. that's nice you like Skylines, but you must understand, they aren't the fastest or greatest cars in the world, and they aren't even in the same league as either the Mitsubishi or the Subaru. It's a 6-cylinder GT, we're talking about Rally-homologated Sport-Sedans. so shut the **** up.

I would also like to point out that Skylines are incredibly pricey, as getting them through MotoRex in N.A. costs ungodly amounts of money, forgetting refitting them to left-hand drive, import tax etc. etc. etc. why bother, when you can get even better performance from either the Evo or the WRX?

quit being useless and go troll elsewhere.

I would, by the way, vote for the Subaru, although if you can afford it, one of those Evo MR's look mighty fine.

jcp123
11-05-2004, 11:33 PM
i picked the Evo, for one reason and one reason alone: you have to pay to look stupid in the Evo, that ridiculous spoiler is a credit delete on them.

KnifeEdge_2K1
11-06-2004, 12:58 PM
mr. r34, a skyline is completely irrelevant here. why? because A)It's not officially sold in North America, and B) jake21 didn't ask. that's nice you like Skylines, but you must understand, they aren't the fastest or greatest cars in the world, and they aren't even in the same league as either the Mitsubishi or the Subaru. It's a 6-cylinder GT, we're talking about Rally-homologated Sport-Sedans. so shut the **** up.

I would also like to point out that Skylines are incredibly pricey, as getting them through MotoRex in N.A. costs ungodly amounts of money, forgetting refitting them to left-hand drive, import tax etc. etc. etc. why bother, when you can get even better performance from either the Evo or the WRX?

quit being useless and go troll elsewhere.

I would, by the way, vote for the Subaru, although if you can afford it, one of those Evo MR's look mighty fine.

someone just got completely owned ... like dood that was awesome burnage

ScionDriver
11-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Didn't Top Gear or Fifth Gear test the Evo and STi maybe it was Evo VII but anyway I have to go with the STi b/c everything I read says its more practical and face it, after performance and you're done at the track, you need practicallity. Plus when was the last time Mistu won the WRC?

fpv_gtho
11-06-2004, 10:37 PM
and WRC has WHAT EXACTLY to do with a pair of production cars???

Rockefella
11-06-2004, 10:53 PM
and WRC has WHAT EXACTLY to do with a pair of production cars???
thats a good point fpv.. Scion, I hope you understand that the amount of money/time/labor put into WRC cars is astronomical and can't even be compared to a sub 40k production car. For example, in the SCCA.. (SCCA, not WRC, which is MUCH more expensive) Subaru/sponsors put approximately 800k US dollars into their 04 Subaru WRX STI...These cars get rebuilt from the bottom up, and are essentially kit cars compared to the production models. BTW, I guess you forgot about the four titles that Tommi Makinen held in WRC, IN A ROW. (1996-1999)

Radoman
11-09-2004, 12:26 AM
someone just got completely owned ... like dood that was awesome burnage

wether you're being sarcastic or not, thank you. it was rather late, but still... I've spent over 2 years on another board where arguing is common. I've gotten used to it.

charged
11-09-2004, 03:10 AM
Both fantastic cars probably Evo just for looks

tmnt_ppn
11-11-2004, 06:16 AM
i vote for WRX. subaru made a great face lift on the 2004 models!

GTO TwinTurbo
11-15-2004, 11:27 AM
If were just talking the Evo VIII vs STI (and not the newly released MR), The STI is more advanced. The US is lucky to have gotten the STI, since in most other countries, the WRX does not have a 2.5l 300hp version. Only because of the high demand for the regular WRX, subaru decided to bring it over.

Now in response to this mitsu is offering a better EVO than the 8. The MR is lighter and faster. The MR is hands down better than bothe the 8 & STI. It pulls a 4.3s 0-60 (Road&Track), and can out slalom a porsche GT2. Having owned an Eclipse GSX-T, and 2 3000GT VR4's (one currently) I might be biased, but in looking for a replacement for the aging VR4 I was all ready to go with the STI (not the EVO 8) until the MR was released. The MR has an aluminum roof, which not only lightens the car (about 300lbs), but also lowers the center of gravity to about that of a gocart! The MR also has a larger titanium (I think) turbine housing from the EVO VIII. All around the subtleties of the EVO8 & MR are hard to see, but it is the factor that brought me back to the mitsucamp, from shopping an STI!

The only thing I wish however is that the MR block was aluminum like th STI, oh well cant have everything you want. Basically I think the styling on both is poor at best. I'm having to switch from a supercar that looks & performs like one to a sedan that performs like a supercar and looks like a mirage, and its hard. But I guess beauty is only skin deep.

All in all, my vote is for the MR Evo, then the STI, and lastly the EVO VIII. (now if only they made the Dodge magnum RT AWD in a stick!, j/k)

KnifeEdge_2K1
11-15-2004, 02:32 PM
If were just talking the Evo VIII vs STI (and not the newly released MR), The STI is more advanced. The US is lucky to have gotten the STI, since in most other countries, the WRX does not have a 2.5l 300hp version. Only because of the high demand for the regular WRX, subaru decided to bring it over.

Now in response to this mitsu is offering a better EVO than the 8. The MR is lighter and faster. The MR is hands down better than bothe the 8 & STI. It pulls a 4.3s 0-60 (Road&Track), and can out slalom a porsche GT2. Having owned an Eclipse GSX-T, and 2 3000GT VR4's (one currently) I might be biased, but in looking for a replacement for the aging VR4 I was all ready to go with the STI (not the EVO 8) until the MR was released. The MR has an aluminum roof, which not only lightens the car (about 300lbs), but also lowers the center of gravity to about that of a gocart! The MR also has a larger titanium (I think) turbine housing from the EVO VIII. All around the subtleties of the EVO8 & MR are hard to see, but it is the factor that brought me back to the mitsucamp, from shopping an STI!

The only thing I wish however is that the MR block was aluminum like th STI, oh well cant have everything you want. Basically I think the styling on both is poor at best. I'm having to switch from a supercar that looks & performs like one to a sedan that performs like a supercar and looks like a mirage, and its hard. But I guess beauty is only skin deep.

All in all, my vote is for the MR Evo, then the STI, and lastly the EVO VIII. (now if only they made the Dodge magnum RT AWD in a stick!, j/k)

even when comparing the US spec models with the hugely detuned VIII vs the hugely bored STi the evo is faster and better in almost all respecs (check out any american auto mag comparison if u dont take my word for it)

can you post a reference for the STi engine block being made of cast aluminum? im pretty sure it's iron so if you have any proof itll be great

RS6
11-15-2004, 03:37 PM
I'd choose the Evo over the Impreza. It is just technologically more capable and, all round, a better package than the Impreza. The throb of the Flat-4 in Impreza does drive me over a little compared to the drone of the inline-4 in the Evo.

QuattroMan
11-15-2004, 06:14 PM
not a fan of Japanese cars but I drove the WRX its not a bad car it all nice aggressive look handles nice to..so I am going with WRX

GTO TwinTurbo
11-16-2004, 10:54 AM
can you post a reference for the STi engine block being made of cast aluminum? im pretty sure it's iron so if you have any proof itll be great
Here check out this link at Sport Compact Car, for the specs...Aluminum block & heads:
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0308scc_sti03/

Also I'm comparing the US Spec Models of All, The STI takes the EVO 8. But the MR takes the STi. I was just stating that the other WRX's around the world aren't as lucky to have the 300hp 2.5l we get here, making the EVO 8 a better world choice between the 2. Unless of course you have the chance to get the US Spec MR (Mitsubishi Racing) abroad.

Also it doesnt stop there. Word is that even though mitsu is pulling out of racing, The tight knit relationship they had with HKS will continue the relationship to produce the Rally-Spec Evo (or HKS Evo). Don't know how it will compare to the MR, better or worse. Also don't know when it is scheduled to debut, but I've read in more than one place that it is likely to happen on US shores. Afterall, the Evo saved Mitsu for folding all together for US Sales.

GTO TwinTurbo
11-16-2004, 11:10 AM
Hey Knife, read this 2. Its the SCC eval that chooses the evo over the STi overall, mostly for handling but it is very close. And in conclusion they state that "Nothing short of a Porsche Turbo will outdistance it (STi) from a stoplight".

Its a hard comparison to make, and I am not be qualified to rightfully say STI over Evo 8, but when its this close and the EVO MR is better than the EVO 8, I'll make the conclusion that the EVO MR reigns supreme. Also I like burning euro exotics from the light, I guess thats why I liked the STI over the Evo 8 originally. Its great to see a guys face when you burn his $100k car in a jap car.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0307scc_stievo_hold/index.html

KnifeEdge_2K1
11-16-2004, 09:53 PM
meh, the insanely slow steering ratio and huge amount of understeer is what's putting me off the sti

plus the evo mr fq320 beat the ferrari 575 with the gtc pack by .7 seconds on the top gear test track, like .7 isnt alot but thats still huge

yes i know the ferrari 360 cs got 1.22.3 while the mr only got 1.26.0 but it's a challenge stradale, wtf can u expect, 100bhp more then the evo plus sports suspension and composite materials ... damn i want that 360 CS ... anyone wanna gimme 300 grand?

IlikeEvO
11-26-2004, 06:25 AM
i dont pay my money for an ugly-looking car. So i pick Evo.
The new evo, MR FQ 400 is considered as "Porsche Killer".
http://seriouswheels.com/top-2005-Mitsubishi-Lancer-Evolution-VIII-FQ-400.htm

andy.muc
11-26-2004, 08:11 AM
I'd pick the evo.
It's a bit more practical as an everyday car.
IMO it also looks better than the Impreza.

@IlikeEvO
The FQ-400 is not only a "Porsche Killer".
It also killed the Murcielago and the Zonda...

Cotterik
11-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Evo Evo Evo Evo Evo Evo Evo Evo Evo Eeevvoooooo!!!!! :d

quattro_20v
11-26-2004, 08:42 AM
The impreza, with the right exhaust (flat 4 2.0), has an incredible sound really. But I'd still go for the mitsu as it is more advanced and looks a bit more clean..

spi-ti-tout
11-26-2004, 08:48 AM
All those Impreza lovers(and the car itself). Prepare to taste, eat, and drink(yuck!) mud that is going to be thrown at u from the Evo's side panels when it passes by! :p :D

I VOTE 4 EVO!!! :)

Mustang
11-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Guess ill go for the evo then ;)

piotr
11-26-2004, 02:45 PM
heh put in a aftermarket ehaust, intercooler and chip the skyline and you got 80hp+ more.

Niko_Fx
11-26-2004, 04:31 PM
heh put in a aftermarket ehaust, intercooler and chip the skyline and you got 80hp+ more.

And your point is...?

jcp123
11-26-2004, 05:13 PM
meh, the insanely slow steering ratio and huge amount of understeer is what's putting me off the sti

Just curious, what ratio is the STi using?

tsunami racer
11-29-2004, 10:59 PM
chalk up another vote for the STi. both are soooo darn close, but the STi's toys (pancake, 6-speed, dccd, better interior) makes it the winner in my book. i couldn't decide so i got both :D who needs a house anyways...

WantedSrt4
12-01-2004, 06:50 PM

yeah and how many performance modifications did it have dont to it?

plus where are you going to find a skyline inside the US for under 40 grand?
not many

KnifeEdge_2K1
12-01-2004, 07:35 PM
uh, that guy was banned like months ago

andy.muc
12-02-2004, 03:39 AM
i couldn't decide so i got both :D who needs a house anyways...

Any proof you really own those cars?
Maybe a pic of the place you live since you traded your house for the cars...

spoolin04sti
01-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Take it from me dude, ive driven both and id have to say the sti is the way to go. Though the Evo is a sick car, the only area it accels in is responsiveness on a road course( and not by much, mph here, .01 of a second there.) The sti is brutty with 300 hp still running 4.5 pounds less of boost.

KnifeEdge_2K1
01-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Take it from me dude, ive driven both and id have to say the sti is the way to go. Though the Evo is a sick car, the only area it accels in is responsiveness on a road course( and not by much, mph here, .01 of a second there.) The sti is brutty with 300 hp still running 4.5 pounds less of boost.

wow u only have 1 post so that gives u credibility factor of zilch, you speak like a fanboy, you have no proof you've driven either car, and you dont know shit about the laws of physics, game set match

CdocZ
01-24-2005, 08:43 PM
wow u only have 1 post so that gives u credibility factor of zilch, you speak like a fanboy, you have no proof you've driven either car, and you dont know shit about the laws of physics, game set match
talk about verbal slaughter!

KnifeEdge_2K1
01-24-2005, 08:44 PM
and a word of advice, when you're tryin to prove a point, make sure your facts support your position

how would saying the evo is better than the sti in road courses pursuade me into thinking the sti is a better car ?

thats like saying apples are better then oranges but oranges are sweeter ... doesnt make much sense does it?

Niko_Fx
01-24-2005, 09:03 PM

To me those who argue with everyone who doesn't give the EVO a friggin 10-star rating ARE stupid Fanboys

my porsche
01-24-2005, 09:19 PM

wow u only yell at people so that gives you personality cedibility factor of zilch, you speak like an angry boy, you have no proof you've ever been happy in life, and you dont know shit about being nice, game set and match

targa
01-24-2005, 09:20 PM
C/D did a test of the STi and the Evo MR Edition. hate to say it, but the Evo performed better.

either way, i would take the STi

i have all the stats at hand if anybody wants them. dont know if someone has already posted them, so i wont right now

KnifeEdge_2K1
01-24-2005, 09:59 PM
wow u only yell at people so that gives you personality cedibility factor of zilch, you speak like an angry boy, you have no proof you've ever been happy in life, and you dont know shit about being nice, game set and match

had this conversation before aint goin back there, and you're guilty of everything you just accused me of

KnifeEdge_2K1
01-24-2005, 10:00 PM
To me those who argue with everyone who doesn't give the EVO a friggin 10-star rating ARE stupid Fanboys

i dotn care if you dont like the evo, but i do care if you use false info or just make shit up

Spastik_Roach
01-24-2005, 10:16 PM
i dotn care if you dont like the evo, but i do care if you use false info or just make shit up

He never said he doesn't like the Evo, he said you're being a dickhead fanboy by flaming people who happen to like something else over the Evo.

Get your facts right.

whiteballz
01-25-2005, 01:32 AM
wow, SR being grown up? *wipes tear from eye* they grow up so fast!! lol.

(go subaru!)
i still like evo's though, they put up a good fight)

C/D is car and driver right? an MR isnt exactly an evo... its got just a "tiny" but faster and lost a "few" kilos here and there.

Niko_Fx
01-25-2005, 06:15 AM

He only gave a personal opinion based on what he felt after driving both cars.

Koenigsegg_CC
01-25-2005, 07:51 AM
Ooh, this vote is very close! Both are brilliant cars but i think that the Subaru is just that bit better tahn the Evo

targa
01-25-2005, 08:02 AM
so wat? a skyline is a skyline and has proven to beat any subaru or evo in a street race....

just not in the american auto market, right?

intercooler and chip the skyline and you got 80hp+ more.

they are both already intercooled

fa22_raptor
01-25-2005, 08:11 AM
That's a very bad way to welcome new members to UCP. I see nothing wrong with what he posted at all. I think that what he posted made a valuable contribution to the discussion and you were being totally unfair. Having "only 1 post" does NOT immediately he has a credibility factor of "zilch" and no, he doesn't speak like a fanboy. The number of posts someone has doesn't mean anything- it's quality not quantity.

KnifeEdge_2K1
01-25-2005, 02:42 PM
He never said he doesn't like the Evo, he said you're being a dickhead fanboy by flaming people who happen to like something else over the Evo.

Get your facts right.

dude i dont care if he likes or dislikes the evo, thats kinda implied when i say "i dont care if he doesnt like the evo", learn english

KnifeEdge_2K1
01-25-2005, 02:43 PM
He only gave a personal opinion based on what he felt after driving both cars.

hmm so i didnt know boost pressure and horsepower figures are opinions

KnifeEdge_2K1
01-25-2005, 02:46 PM
That's a very bad way to welcome new members to UCP. I see nothing wrong with what he posted at all. I think that what he posted made a valuable contribution to the discussion and you were being totally unfair. Having "only 1 post" does NOT immediately he has a credibility factor of "zilch" and no, he doesn't speak like a fanboy. The number of posts someone has doesn't mean anything- it's quality not quantity.

and which part of his post had any quality whatsoever?

like i said before its ok if you like the sti over the evo or vice versa, thats an opinion and its a free country .. world wide web wutever

but when you're using facts and saying x car is faster/out performs car y when it DOESNT, then there is a problem, you can think that if you want, just dont put it out in the world

Manik
01-25-2005, 04:40 PM
they are very very close in engine power. they have close performance stats. i like the subaru more, there are no drawbacks on it. the pirce fits the car perfectly. but on the other hand the lancer has the same stats (very close) but a bigger price. the bigger price is a rip off i think because the interior sucks and the lancer has about 20 less hp.

KnifeEdge_2K1
01-25-2005, 09:05 PM
.. where do u live the evo is suppose to be cheaper (unless its the mr version)

also in the states the evo is actually alot less powerful then the sti, a car and driver test run between the two cars on a dirt course ended up with sti hitting a topspeed almost 14mph higher then the evo, but the evo still got the higher laptime (due to the sti's slow steering and nervousness on the dirt) their words not mine

the evolution would make more sense if you're really into hardcore performance and stuff, because unless you push it to the absolute limit, differences between the two cars are minimal, in the real world you can live with either one as easily as the other

but if you were really looking to upgrade or use it as a trackday/autocross/ anything performance oriented the evo makes more sense since the sti does tend to understeer more at the limit and doesnt corner as fast (only the american version gets significant grunt over the evo, the euro and jdm versions are near identical in power/torque)

fpv_gtho
01-25-2005, 09:12 PM
The American STi's have the 2.5L engine rather than the 2L engine, you get about 30kw more than everyone else.

jcp123
01-25-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm a fan of those extra 500cc's in the Suby, but I wish the spoiler were a delete option. That's a dealbreaker.

Of course, the Mitsu dealers are basically not honoring the warrantees on the Evo's, so that's a dealbreaker too.

While they're great cars performancewise, the world just hasn't caught up to them yet.

KnifeEdge_2K1
01-25-2005, 09:36 PM
the extra 500 ccs piss me off, i really have no reason why other then the fact i think its a cheap shot, pure marketting thing, and it woulda been hard to boost power to 300 hp with the 2l while still passing emissions

the worse is when people say "well i got x ccs more then you" yeah, well if there really is no replacement for displacement shove a ****ing viper engine in your miata

jcp123
01-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Wow...chill, man, it ain't the end of the world...

targa
01-25-2005, 10:13 PM
they are very very close in engine power. they have close performance stats. i like the subaru more, there are no drawbacks on it.

now, now, the lancer is 19 pounds lighter, i think that is a drawback to the STi
:rolleyes:

OA: whoever YIM'd me needs to do it again, i didnt get the SN.

Falcon500
01-26-2005, 01:09 AM
Got some inch envy hey knifey?....and a marketing ploy? obviously since its faster it could have nothing to do with performance :)

Your getting excited over nothing again the comment that started you was some bloke saying he likes both but has a prefernce for the subaru. And to top it off hes a new member nothing like flameing him over his first post! Just lighten up before your artaries harden yeash.

KnifeEdge_2K1
01-26-2005, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=Falcon500]Got some inch envy hey knifey?....and a marketing ploy? obviously since its faster it could have nothing to do with performance :)
QUOTE]

its faster in a strait line but not in the corners, i just said that the evo still posted a faster overall lap time

the speed and power could have been achieved using higher boost pressures (which is what happens in europe and japan) but in america they decided to give a bump to 500 ccs and lower the boost ?

true the extra 500ccs gives it a bit more low range torque and a better every day drive but im still not convinced thats the real reason they did that

jcp123
01-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Well, whether or not that's why they did it I do appreciate the extra torque it'd make. Plus think of the extra power that'll return if you start playin around with the boost...

KnifeEdge_2K1
01-26-2005, 03:44 PM
yeah but the block wasnt designed for 2.5l, over boring an engine could lead to the cylinder walls being too thin

jcp123
01-26-2005, 03:46 PM
True, my dad's has this problem having been bored .060" over. But is most of the Suby's 500cc's stroke or bore? I don't think you can get 500cc's out of a 4-banger through bore alone...

fpv_gtho
01-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Theyve got a 2.5L engine in the Liberty/Legacy, how do you know its not just out of that?

Falcon500
01-27-2005, 01:53 AM
[QUOTE=Falcon500]Got some inch envy hey knifey?....and a marketing ploy? obviously since its faster it could have nothing to do with performance :)
QUOTE]

its faster in a strait line but not in the corners, i just said that the evo still posted a faster overall lap time

the speed and power could have been achieved using higher boost pressures (which is what happens in europe and japan) but in america they decided to give a bump to 500 ccs and lower the boost ?

True but rember theres only a touch in it...

True but incresing the capicity and leaving it with less boost does take a bit of stress off the system and its still a strong performer can you fault the system? or is it crap because its a 500ml larger and not haveing as much boost forced into it?

true the extra 500ccs gives it a bit more low range torque and a better every day drive but im still not convinced thats the real reason they did that

Then why? is it a CONSIPIRACY? no i hardly think so they decided to go a diffrent route with a diffrent market and the sales reflect the popularity of the vehical.....

Rember these are both good cars we are talking about here and if you want to be subjective knife there is very little you can do about the absoulty shitful prices of mitsubishi parts (and no they are no higer quality then anything else on the market) and the fact that both of these vehicals are based off your standard family hacks.

jcp123
01-27-2005, 02:21 AM
I would think the WRX comes across as a bit more relaxed than the Evo, am I right?

fpv_gtho
01-27-2005, 02:50 AM
Possibly, you'd imagine an engine with 25% more capacity than another engine would be able to produce its power in a more linear fashion, rather than simply on boost/off boost.

Falcon500
01-27-2005, 03:05 AM
Well i have only drivan one of these cars and not even a STI just a regualr WRX....but the car at slow speeds was quite a happy camper although its ride was stiff (not uncomfterble and i doubt the STis would be unless your a winger) and its stearing was predicatble and i found it quite liniar and with a good feel and it picked up very dammed quick perfectly for darting around the tight ares around phillip and it stopped on a dime....all in all an incredibly fun car to drive!

Niggles yup there are a few Gear box felt gunky it just didnt have a good feel to it, the high bootlid was a pain to see out of when reversing you had to rely on your side mirrors to see low obsticles and while everyone else seemed to hang back (probly though a p plater in a wrx was a drug dealer or something) some assholes seemed to follow you! there was a clown in a honda but once he figured out i wasnt raceing he cleared off probly thinking he was a winner while chirping the front tires as he left :)

fpv_gtho
01-27-2005, 03:10 AM
and while everyone else seemed to hang back (probly though a p plater in a wrx was a drug dealer or something) some assholes seemed to follow you! there was a clown in a honda but once he figured out i wasnt raceing he cleared off probly thinking he was a winner while chirping the front tires as he left :)

Probably someone who'd never seen one on the streets and was trying to get a good look. Any idiot should know a Honda would have no chance with the WRX :p

Falcon500
01-27-2005, 03:38 AM
AWWWW come on his run of the mill integer HAD to be good with its milo tin exaust and fake pssssht valve :)

KnifeEdge_2K1
01-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Probably someone who'd never seen one on the streets and was trying to get a good look. Any idiot should know a Honda would have no chance with the WRX :p

actually if you remember the top gear compar with the civic type r vs the wrx the civic was much faster

obviously the sti would kill a civic or a ford focus rs or .. well any other hatch back but it does cost a shit load more

Falcon500
01-28-2005, 01:59 AM
actually if you remember the top gear compar with the civic type r vs the wrx the civic was much faster

obviously the sti would kill a civic or a ford focus rs or .. well any other hatch back but it does cost a shit load more
Well his wasnt a type R...not that it would of matterd i wasnt going to race in a work vehical! (i was already zooming around)

And yes it is a case of chalk and chease but it didnt seem that way from this guys point of view....

matek
01-28-2005, 02:39 AM
Ha what about the evo VIII 400,
sorry but no little type-R is going to beat that, so what u have to service it every 4500 miles the enjoyment i get out of it with my older brother is more than u can ever get type-R :)
the civic is a mental car but its not comparable to the WRX & the EVO XIII,
it is better than all the hot hatches but thats what it is a hot hatch.http://martwoj.dyndns.org/hosting/hothatches.jpg
http://martwoj.dyndns.org/hosting/LancerEvoJump.jpg
and which one looks better? :rolleyes:

KnifeEdge_2K1
01-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Ha what about the evo VIII 400,
sorry but no little type-R is going to beat that, so what u have to service it every 4500 miles the enjoyment i get out of it with my older brother is more than u can ever get type-R :)
the civic is a mental car but its not comparable to the WRX & the EVO XIII,
it is better than all the hot hatches but thats what it is a hot hatch.http://martwoj.dyndns.org/hosting/hothatches.jpg
http://martwoj.dyndns.org/hosting/LancerEvoJump.jpg
and which one looks better? :rolleyes:

finally a bigger evo fan boy then i

Falcon500
01-29-2005, 02:04 AM
Never thought they day would come eh knifey? nows a good chance to try and show your new leaf of trying to be more level headed :)

Clivey
02-01-2005, 12:50 PM
From reading this I assume the thread is comparing US-spec cars, I have no idea about these but I can offer my opinion on the versions the UK recieves, the WRX STi develops 265BHP (2.0 Turbo) whereas the Evo VIII can be had with 260, 276, 305, 330, 340 or 405BHP from its 2.0 Turbo unit...This obviously turns the tables somewhat but to do a fair comparison we'd have to compare the STi 265 with the Evo III 276 and I wouldn't know what to take, they're both awesome cars and just looking at a shiny new one tells you you're next to something special. Out of the 2 cars I just mentioned I might just go for the Subaru...unless someone offered me the 405 BHP Evo VIII MR FQ-400

Acura/subarufan
02-25-2005, 08:43 PM
I would go with subaru for looks but apparently i've heard the evo is better for preformance

Cotterik
07-30-2005, 04:23 PM

i think that person was found when i registered last year :rolleyes:

whiteballz
07-30-2005, 04:34 PM
yeah, rik is biggest evo fan. hands down. he is addicted.
and im biggest subaru fan. addicted too.

"its a miss match from the very begining, when they first met they didnt know the other worshiped their enemy, but though a WACKY chain of events they have become best friends. what will happen next on rik vs ballz - the ULTIMATE FRIEND RAGE. - sponsored by ultimate car page"

on and on.. you get the pic. anyway, i love subarus, so i say STI, but i definately respect the evo for what it is and what it can do :)

Cotterik
07-30-2005, 04:53 PM
yeah, rik is biggest evo fan. hands down. he is addicted.
and im biggest subaru fan. addicted too.

"its a miss match from the very begining, when they first met they didnt know the other worshiped their enemy, but though a WACKY chain of events they have become best friends. what will happen next on rik vs ballz - the ULTIMATE FRIEND RAGE. - sponsored by ultimate car page"

on and on.. you get the pic. anyway, i love subarus, so i say STI, but i definately respect the evo for what it is and what it can do :)

hahaha

well the auzzies and the brits so have soft spots for each other ;)

in a non gay way, of-bloody-corse :p

spi-ti-tout
07-30-2005, 06:08 PM
You people are forgetting me :(

I'm equal to Rik in my love for the Evo - he knows it himself and you can ask him :)

Cotterik
07-30-2005, 06:27 PM
that i do my friend

targa
07-30-2005, 07:01 PM
my evo love = Cotterick + Spi-ti-tout + 1

whiteballz
07-30-2005, 07:44 PM
my evo love = Cotterick + Spi-ti-tout + 1

no, just no. okay? no. once more ey? NO.

impossible