PDA

View Full Version : daewoo becomes chevrolet

drakkie
08-18-2004, 01:48 AM
GM has decided to change the name daewoo into chevrolet in europe.they want to make tyhe name chevrolet to be known more etc. this is just a rumour which has a likeline to be true.i read this in my newspaper thi morning, but they couldnt really tell much about it

Rijoh
08-18-2004, 02:23 AM
I heard it a long time ago. The Corvette is from now on only called Corvette, not Chevrolet Corvette any more. Because if u own a Corvette and people ask you what brand ur car is from, and u say Chevrolet, they think u have a Matiz :)

Coventrysucks
08-18-2004, 03:21 AM
GM don't have a clue do they.
They spend all the money getting Daewoo organised, now they decide to rename it Cheverolet.

So, they want the "original" GM brand to be considered a lesser brand than Opel and Vauxhall?

Not to mention that the UK market doesn't care much for American cars.

fpv_gtho
08-18-2004, 03:32 AM
this isnt much of a surprise to me, it wasnt that long ago after GM took over Dewoo and put Holden in charge of management etc. that Holden announced it would withdraw Daewoo from the local market, supply servicing for the next 3 years and spare parts for the next 10 years

cls12vg30
08-18-2004, 07:06 AM
Yeah, that's a great way to build name recognition, slap your name on a bunch of Daewoo's. I don't think that's going to turn out to be the kind of recognition they want. Everybody recognizes a Yugo, too.

Karrmann
08-18-2004, 08:27 AM
hey does that mean that there will be no more daewoo's over here?

DodgeNitroBIRM
08-18-2004, 08:50 AM
They are, just as Chevrolets now. Look at the new Aveo, nothing but a renamed/baged Daewoo. Wonder if the TVs will change to Chevrolet, too?

Roy Visser
08-18-2004, 09:09 AM
Not a smart thing to do actually, although Deawoo has a name here in Europe, so does Chevrolet. Chevrolet hasnt excactly sold alot of cars here (in holland anway) but Deawoo is just starting to get a "reputation" of good value for money. Chevrolet has always been "overpriced and unreliable"

personally, if i would buy a new matiz, id rather have it with a Deawoo logo on it

taz_rocks_miami
08-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Since I've been here in Mexico I've noticed that the Opel Astra and Corsa are sold here under the Chevrolet name, Chevy Astra and the first generation Corsa was named the Chevy. The new Corsa is the Chevrolet Corsa.

Taz.

fpv_gtho
08-18-2004, 11:30 PM
we get the Astra and Corsa as the Holden Astra and Barina

drakkie
08-19-2004, 12:27 AM
as far as I know they are gonna change the name and badge of the cars and not the electronics.I think it isnt a very good thing to do, but thats not my problem.The change is only in western-europe, cos in other parts of the world,it is already called differently.the brand doesnt disappeear but is only sold with a different name.

crisis
08-19-2004, 12:52 AM
Not a smart thing to do actually, although Deawoo has a name here in Europe, so does Chevrolet. Chevrolet hasnt excactly sold alot of cars here (in holland anway) but Deawoo is just starting to get a "reputation" of good value for money. Chevrolet has always been "overpriced and unreliable"

personally, if i would buy a new matiz, id rather have it with a Deawoo logo on it
Well now they can compliment the range with something underpriced and unreliable.

henk4
08-19-2004, 12:55 AM
I heard it a long time ago. The Corvette is from now on only called Corvette, not Chevrolet Corvette any more. Because if u own a Corvette and people ask you what brand ur car is from, and u say Chevrolet, they think u have a Matiz :)

Imagine that we could drive a Daewoo Corvette for half the price, would that increase sales :)

Rijoh
08-19-2004, 01:06 AM
Imagine that we could drive a Daewoo Corvette for half the price, would that increase sales :)
At least as it's not Daewoo quality ;)

Coventrysucks
08-19-2004, 06:23 AM
They are, just as Chevrolets now. Look at the new Aveo, nothing but a renamed/baged Daewoo. Wonder if the TVs will change to Chevrolet, too?

Doesn't GM only own the car building aspect of the mighty-all purpose tool that is Daewoo International?

henk4
08-19-2004, 06:25 AM
Doesn't GM only own the car building aspect of the mighty-all purpose tool that is Daewoo International?

Yes, and there is even a Daewoo factory in Uzbekistan where they are still building Nexia's. Wonder whether the Corvettes are going to be produced there to open up whole new markets.

cls12vg30
08-19-2004, 11:25 AM
hey does that mean that there will be no more daewoo's over here?

Actually, all the Daewoo dealers in the U.S. have been closed for months now.

Yeah I think that's correct Coventry. They didn't buy the entire Daewoo corporation, which makes TV's, computers, other electronics, and even firearms. (http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Auto-Pistols/Daewoo_DP51.htm)

Coventrysucks
08-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Actually, all the Daewoo dealers in the U.S. have been closed for months now.

So have they rebadged the Daewoos as Cheverolets in the US as well?

This must be the first instance of a major motor manufacturer actively trying to downgrade their reputation.

IWantAnAudiRS6
08-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Errrr pardon me, but someone said that Daewoo has been renamed Chevrolet in Europe. Liar! It's still Daewoo in Britain, which is part of the E.U.!!!

Matra et Alpine
08-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Errrr pardon me, but someone said that Daewoo has been renamed Chevrolet in Europe. Liar! It's still Daewoo in Britain, which is part of the E.U.!!!
I think it's likekly to be usual mistaken geography by GM :)

In EASTERN Europe the Daewoo cars will enter branded as Chevrolet.
In current markets in Europe, it looks liek Daewoo brand stays.