PDA

View Full Version : Wheels on WRC cars.

Azon
08-21-2004, 02:38 AM
What kind of wheels are used on the rally WRC cars? What materila are they made of and what method was used during their making? Any help will be much appreciated.

whiteballz
08-21-2004, 02:44 AM
umm i know that subaru use/used OZ racing rims, 13 inch rims on gravel surfaces, and i think 17-19 on tarmac events.

pirreli P-zero tyres... special treads (subaru WRC team)

umm... i think its bonded aluminium/steel... i cant remember...

Rockefella
08-21-2004, 04:30 AM
ask matra, he'll know for sure

Matra et Alpine
08-21-2004, 06:07 AM
With their HUGE budgets they run cast Magnesium wheels.
Compomotive and OZ seem to be the main suppliers now.
The sizes can vary from as small as 5x13 up to 8x18 dependant on surface.

Magnesium gives the lightest weight to keep the unsprung weight to an absolute minimum, BUT magnesium is liable to stress cracks so don't have the longevity of other alloys. Cleverly folks like OZ maker mag and other alloys in the same style so it's hard to tell which they're using :)

So if anyone says they're running magnesium wheels it's worth looking closer.
It would be foolish to use magnesium for street use as cracks can only be detected with x-rays or flluorescing chemicals. AND when a stress crack fails it can be totally catastrophic - no bending just bits flying everywhere !!!

ruim20
08-21-2004, 07:30 AM
With their HUGE budgets they run cast Magnesium wheels.
Compomotive and OZ seem to be the main suppliers now.
The sizes can vary from as small as 5x13 up to 8x18 dependant on surface.

Magnesium gives the lightest weight to keep the unsprung weight to an absolute minimum, BUT magnesium is liable to stress cracks so don't have the longevity of other alloys. Cleverly folks like OZ maker mag and other alloys in the same style so it's hard to tell which they're using :)

So if anyone says they're running magnesium wheels it's worth looking closer.
It would be foolish to use magnesium for street use as cracks can only be detected with x-rays or flluorescing chemicals. AND when a stress crack fails it can be totally catastrophic - no bending just bits flying everywhere !!!

To avoid cracks sometimes glass or carbon fiber is used to reinforce the magnesium, off course the method of production changes, as the fibers obviusly cannot be melted.

NAZCA C2
08-21-2004, 02:48 PM
check this out. 15" for gravel 18" for tarmac
http://www.prodrive-usa.com/motorsports_dc_subaru.asp

Matra et Alpine
08-21-2004, 03:08 PM
To avoid cracks sometimes glass or carbon fiber is used to reinforce the magnesium, off course the method of production changes, as the fibers obviusly cannot be melted.
? for cars ?
Race bikes use forged magnesium/carbon-fibre to give the necessary twisting strength to forces that are unique to bikes.
Wow, wasn't aware anyoen was soing it for cars. Street or race ??