PDA

View Full Version : Turbonator - BS or not?

byronleehk
08-25-2004, 04:05 PM
Would someone please tell me if this is BS or not? (http://www.turbonator.com/index.html)

If that's a fact, I'm ordering :)

Sweeney921
08-25-2004, 04:09 PM
yea, thats BS. you can't get better mileage with a turbocharger. it actually makes it worse, because the more air put in the cylinder, the more gas is put in.

Mustang
08-25-2004, 04:10 PM
dunno but you might as well try it and return it in the 30 days :p

EvilPaladin
08-25-2004, 04:14 PM
Are you looking for more power from your wheels?
Erm, nowadays power comes from wheels? :D

Mustang
08-25-2004, 04:14 PM
yea, thats BS. you can't get better mileage with a turbocharger. it actually makes it worse, because the more air put in the cylinder, the more gas is put in.

its a supercharger

byronleehk
08-25-2004, 04:18 PM
Erm, nowadays power comes from wheels? :D

EP, funny!
:D

Matra et Alpine
08-25-2004, 05:04 PM
The theory is sound - that highly turbulent air produces a better fuel-air mix and that leads to better combustion, power and efficiency.

However, its not going to help a performance car where the designers have already put engineering time into optimising the airflow.

But for all those badly-designed intake manifolds it might and might not help ( too much turbulence is also bad :( )

As suggested, if the warranty is sound then try and send it back :)

Sweeney921
08-25-2004, 05:14 PM
its a supercharger
still pushes air into the cylinder ;)

Matra et Alpine
08-25-2004, 05:39 PM
turbocharger ? supercharger ??

It is NEITHER, it is stationary fins which cause the inflowing air to swirl.

Egg Nog
08-25-2004, 05:47 PM
I've seen these things many times before... even on an TV infomercial one time. It's basically a ploy to prey on people who know absolutely nothing about cars, by selling them lines like "it pays for itself in no time". A device like this will pretty much never make a noticable change to any car.

megotmea7
08-26-2004, 07:34 AM
also known as the "tornado" for anyone who watches late night speed channel. horrible gimmic...

Alfonso Gomez
08-27-2004, 06:55 AM
I don't think it will work in a fuel injected engine since the fuel goes directly into the combustion chamber in a fine spray pattern. It might work if installed under a carburator where it would atomize better the fuel-air mixture. Just my 2 cents worth.

Niko_Fx
08-27-2004, 07:34 AM
"I purchased two Turbonators for my Chrysler Sebring and immediately noticed the increase in power. It was more than I expected. I am already noticing the improved gas mileage. I like them so much, I am ordering two more for my brothers. Now, it feels like my car has a turbo charger." - Dr. Brian Coyle (San Jose, CA)

This guy must have never felt a real turbo.

megotmea7
08-27-2004, 04:11 PM
lol definitly not... well he did buy 2!!! must double the power potential

Egg Nog
08-27-2004, 06:36 PM
I don't think it will work in a fuel injected engine since the fuel goes directly into the combustion chamber in a fine spray pattern. It might work if installed under a carburator where it would atomize better the fuel-air mixture. Just my 2 cents worth.

Actually, it makes no contact with the fuel at all. It gets placed right after your air filter, and "spins" the air :)

megotmea7
08-27-2004, 09:49 PM
my guess is most of their customers are ppl still amazed by the 2 liter bottle and colored water vortex thing we used to play with in 2nd grade :rolleyes: