PDA

View Full Version : One problem after another

Alfonso Gomez
08-27-2004, 06:57 AM
OK, here's how it goes: 1987 Corvette Coupe with auto tranny and 3:07 gears, daily driver.

First, since my gas mileage is so lousy (13 mpg city) I decided to change the Oxigen sensor, which I suspected had not beeen changed ever. Piece of cake. The old one was an AC Delco and it looked pretty dirty. Replaced it with a Bosch.

Then I noticed that the alternator was not charging properly, especially with the A/C and headlight on. Took it out, had it checked and replaced with a new one. It was charging 10 volts in the bench tester. Also took the battery (18 months old) for a recharge.

Then found a leak in the cooling system because one of the coolant lines that go to the oil cooler was damaged. So I replaced it. Easy.

While driving to the local Pep Boys shop to have the electric system checked (I felt it was not completely right), I noticed that the transmission would not shift from second to third. Then I stopped at a traffic light and when I took off, the transmission woul not shift into second gear. Had the electrical system checked and found that the new alternator had problems with the voltage regulator.

Drove back home and the transmission would not shift into second gear. Stopped to check fluid level and found it one quart low. Put in a quart of fluid and started to drive home in first gear. I tried the following while driving in first gear: at about 23 mph, I let go ef the gas pedal for about 10 seconds and when I accelerated the car had shifted to second gear . It stayed in second gear even after stopping at a few other traffic lights. It took off in second gear but would not shift into third gear.

Sorry for the long post but right now I'm waiting for the engine to cool off before removing the alternator and taking it in for a replacement.

After I replace the alternator I have to tackle the tranny problem but I would like to know if there is something I have to check before taking it to a shop.

Thanks for your help.

PerfAdv
09-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Sorry to see you got zero answers but I think even a mechanic with tools and car present would need to diagnose. Really it could be anything; a short, oil pressure sensor in the trans, vacuum!

megotmea7
09-25-2004, 06:30 AM
have ou ever changed the tranny fluid? do you have any idea on the model of the transmission?

jcp123
09-25-2004, 04:00 PM
I'll tell you, it's always something with cars. Could the low voltage have caused a problem in the shift computer, or is it even an electronically managed tranny?