PDA

View Full Version : mini mini

henk4
08-30-2004, 06:12 AM
This is as far as I've got now with Tamiya's 1/12 mini, decals and polishing still to be done, also the black rim around the roof is a hurdle I have to take. Paint used is the special mix Tamiya made for the TABAC Mercedes DTM, which gives a nice metallic effect, comparable to the original to the left :)

RaptoR
08-30-2004, 06:23 AM
Great job you have done here!!
Really nice work with the painting, do you now what kind of mix is that or it comes already mixed and dont tell yo how to do it?
It's a metal model or a plastic one?
I love scale modeling but here in my country those are too expensive :(

henk4
08-30-2004, 06:27 AM
Great job you have done here!!
Really nice work with the painting, do you now what kind of mix is that or it comes already mixed and dont tell yo how to do it?
It's a metal model or a plastic one?
I love scale modeling but here in my country those are too expensive :(
Thanks,
The paint was a normal Tamiya rattle can, specifically marketed for the Mercedes, the model is plastic. As the model is no longer available i presume the particular can will be difficult to find.

Niko_Fx
08-30-2004, 06:30 AM
Looks really nice :)

I see some other car boxes in the picture.

ruim20
08-30-2004, 06:31 AM
i'm building a jag type-e, i'm painting it in british racing green but i cant get rid of small particules that fall on to the paint and mark it, how can i prevent this from apening?

THANKS

henk4
08-30-2004, 06:38 AM
I see some other car boxes in the picture.

Well spotted, what you see is the box of an aborted Protar Alfa Romeo 179, where I forgot to treat the orange plastic of the side skirts with sealing paint, resulting not in white skirts but in pink ones, even after several layers of white spray. I know how to cure all this, but I have to remove all the paint and apply in zinc-based sealer, but I am wondering whether I'll going to do that.
The other two boxes are 1/9 scale Protar motorcycles, a real challenge for the ambitious modeller. :)

henk4
08-30-2004, 06:40 AM
i'm building a jag type-e, i'm painting it in british racing green but i cant get rid of small particules that fall on to the paint and mark it, how can i prevent this from apening?

THANKS

Are you using a spray can or a brush? In any case you should work in an area as dust free as possible, which is not always easy to find. Sometimes, when the paint is think enough you might be able to sand away these tiny particles, and the sanded areas can be treated with a polishing compound to get the shine back.

cuntukimushroom
08-30-2004, 07:43 AM
nice i have one but its 1/18

Matra et Alpine
08-30-2004, 08:00 AM

THANKS

To prevent it you need to build yourself a spray booth.

Fairly easy for small models and numebrs, get a large strong cardboard box, mount a coupel of PC fans WITH filters and run then up to creat positive pressure in the box and spray away. It usually needs a couple of baffles to stop the airflow mucking up your paint dispersal.

For more premanent, build it out of MDF and use kitchen fans and filters.

Do a goodle search on diy paint booths and you'll get hundreds fo ideas and plans. it makes a big diffrence and saves all that fixing after :)

Karrmann
08-30-2004, 09:49 AM
nice job henk

kko
08-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Great job ther , but aren't you going to give it the white stripes like the one on the left?

henk4
08-30-2004, 01:11 PM
Great job ther , but aren't you going to give it the white stripes like the one on the left?

As I said the decals still have to be put on. I work on the attic and the temperature in summer is too high so then I take a break. I'll be going back to Central Asia this week, so there will be no time to finish it properly, before mid october.

UK CARS
08-30-2004, 01:13 PM
i have some planes that need finishing, have them if you want.

henk4
08-30-2004, 01:14 PM
i have some planes that need finishing, have them if you want.

just fly them over :)

UK CARS
08-30-2004, 01:22 PM
i 'll send them by air mail :)

UK CARS
08-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Thats no mini mini, this is
here, dont buy though (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38708&item=2487753680&rd=1)

Dino Scuderia
08-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Looks really nice! Great work!

ruim20
08-31-2004, 05:27 AM
Are you using a spray can or a brush? In any case you should work in an area as dust free as possible, which is not always easy to find. Sometimes, when the paint is think enough you might be able to sand away these tiny particles, and the sanded areas can be treated with a polishing compound to get the shine back.

ah yes! the HotRod is mine hehe, 3d modeled, i'll post it when i'm happy with it :)

ruim20
08-31-2004, 05:28 AM
To prevent it you need to build yourself a spray booth.

Fairly easy for small models and numebrs, get a large strong cardboard box, mount a coupel of PC fans WITH filters and run then up to creat positive pressure in the box and spray away. It usually needs a couple of baffles to stop the airflow mucking up your paint dispersal.

For more premanent, build it out of MDF and use kitchen fans and filters.

Do a goodle search on diy paint booths and you'll get hundreds fo ideas and plans. it makes a big diffrence and saves all that fixing after :)

Thanks, never would have thought of that... :o

crisis
09-02-2004, 12:06 AM
As I said the decals still have to be put on. I work on the attic and the temperature in summer is too high so then I take a break. I'll be going back to Central Asia this week, so there will be no time to finish it properly, before mid october.
White decals? bummer. Would it be worth trying to pain the stripes?

henk4
09-02-2004, 12:08 AM
White decals? bummer. Would it be worth trying to pain the stripes?

I'll send the stuff over to you :)

crisis
09-02-2004, 12:10 AM
I'll send the stuff over to you :)
Please refer to my post re painting in Wouters Red Bull thread. Really youve done a great job painting the rest, I thought you could nail it. :)

henk4
09-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Please refer to my post re painting in Wouters Red Bull thread. Really youve done a great job painting the rest, I thought you could nail it. :)

On the real car the stripes are also stickers!

crisis
09-02-2004, 12:15 AM
On the real car the stripes are also stickers!
But not the translucent decal type I'll bet. ;)

henk4
09-02-2004, 12:58 AM
But not the translucent decal type I'll bet. ;)

I'll show you the results in 7 weeks time, i'll be off todayto -stan countries for 6 weeks.