PDA

View Full Version : Legalising a hand-made car?

SIMPLETON
08-31-2004, 03:37 PM
Does anybody know where I could find info on legalising a hand made car for Oklahoma. Sort of like the SVA in Europe, but it might be called something different in the states. If you do find any info on their requirements please post a link. I really dont know there this info would be and where to even to start looking for info.

CHEERS!!! my 300th post

Matra et Alpine
08-31-2004, 04:59 PM
Find a US kit car supplier or builder on google and e-mail them :)

Sorry cannot help ata ll on US tests.

DodgeNitroBIRM
08-31-2004, 05:03 PM
If you look in the back of US Mag.s like Car and Driver or Road and Track, you can find it. There are also sales mag.s similar to Auto Mart, Auto Trader, etc. for kit cars only. There is even a mag. just FOR kit cars. Legalizing kit cars is a difficult thing in the US, usually you end up having to get a Re-Manufactured Title. I'm actually curious on why there are so many kit car companies in the UK and how they can do it?

Matra et Alpine
08-31-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm actually curious on why there are so many kit car companies in the UK and how they can do it?
We live in a free country.

:)

OK, joking aside .....

The UK has a LONG tradition of small volume manufacturers and in the 60s kit cars were common to avoid car tax.

Also a long tradition in engineering has created an understanding that each coudl build as capable as a big manufacturer.

We also have a tradition of 'fairness' in our legal system. So, if a BIG manufacturer can build a car it should be possible for anyone. and so the Single Vehicle Approval was provided to offer kit car manufacturers a consistent set of standards to pass for a car to be approved for use.

It is actually a strict set of requirements and may involve a full engineers report on chass or suspension components which are unique or non-standard. these can be quite espensive. However for most kits, it is accepted that the engineering is sound and only the build needs inspected.

DodgeNitroBIRM
08-31-2004, 05:24 PM
So, there is no crash testing, fuel consumption tests, emission tests, etc? Wow, how odd.

Matra et Alpine
09-01-2004, 03:33 AM
So, there is no crash testing, fuel consumption tests, emission tests, etc? Wow, how odd.
As I said the SVA is a set of rigorous requirements.

So, it has to meet emissions and tax WILL be based on current legislation which has engine size and co2 output as a factor. One of the 'trick's employed in the UK is to have a much older car as 'donor' and the kit is "just a rebody" and so it only needs to meet the older emission laws :) This is especially the case if you want to run without a CAT !!

If a builder uses one-off components THEN THEY have to prove to the SVA instpector that it is safe and strong enough. Hence why things like stub axles, brakes etc either come from a donor OR from a recognised firm. If a builder STILL choses to be unique, then they likely face a HEFTY bill to have the design evaluated and certified by a recognised engineer.

But, no, for low volume cars nobody is required to crash test.
Usually however, newer kit manufacturer WILL have done a crash test and publish the results as an added 'feature' for their kit. But it you look at a 7-clone then it's pretty obvious it would never clear side impact !!!