PDA

View Full Version : compression ratio?

GTR Dreamer
09-01-2004, 10:57 PM
how exactly is a comp. ratio formed....of what data ect. p.s any info on them would be good 2. :)

Ferrari Tifosi
09-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Compression Ratio = Volume of Cylinder + Combustion area at Bottom Dead Center (when the piston is at the bottom of its stroke) / Volume of Combustion area at Top Dead Center (when the piston is at the top of its stroke). That's how the Compression ratio is configured.

GTR Dreamer
09-02-2004, 10:27 PM
rrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggghhhhhhhh hhhhhhhtttttttttttt........................:D

Egg Nog
09-02-2004, 11:09 PM
Ferrari Tifosi's explanation was very good... judging by your response, I assume that you are fairly new to engines. I have drawn you up a pretty oversimplified drawing that should answer your question. This is basically what he said, in picture form :)

You should note that the compression of an engine can be increased through forced inducion, which is when a supercharger/turbocharger forces high pressure air into the combustion chamber. (Also a purposefully simplified explanation)

If you want a more advanced overview of this subject (before Matra gets here and confuses you with 19 paragraphs of detailed explanations :p ;)), there is a very good technical article on HotRod.com

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/54258/

Ferrari Tifosi
09-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Nice job, explaining what I said with that picture. Good stuff there buddy.

Matra et Alpine
09-03-2004, 03:45 AM
If you want a more advanced overview of this subject (before Matra gets here and confuses you with 19 paragraphs of detailed explanations :p ;))
Jeez, I'm thinking it's best NOT to post to avoid these kind of comments.
Mature :)

Anyway, sorry, E-N, I'd already done it in other thread :) http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6809

But the effort to put the picture in deserves praise. makes it easier to explain to those starting otu learning about cars and engines.

paul
09-03-2004, 06:35 AM
yes just would like to big up the dedicated moderators on these forms really put time in to explaning things im glad i have found this site some top notch knowlage going round!!!!

GTR Dreamer
09-03-2004, 05:42 PM
thanks E-N, i understand it now. :D