PDA

View Full Version : Drifters?

Motorer1
09-15-2003, 05:21 PM
Does anyone here drift? post if you do, i will check back soon to see if anyone drifts.

P.S. I am not talking about in the video games, i am talking hardcore full -on balls out the window slideways.:)

megotmea7
09-15-2003, 11:58 PM
i participate in the occasional powerslid or two, im no hard core drifter and i certainly never stick my balls out the window let alone full on and sideways:p

Motorer1
09-16-2003, 11:46 AM
What kind of car did you get sideways in?

I have done a little drifting in my dad's 89 camaro, but i won't risk doing that agian anytime soon (very scary):o

megotmea7
09-16-2003, 05:53 PM
94' RX-7 look at the "hey" post in the asian car forum to read more. most of the time if im feeling brave theres a long sweeping turn in the road close to my house that has a big dirt field on the outside of the turn so theres little concequence if i loose it mostly a need for a wash

in my younger days me and some friends took whatever we had out to a big dirt road and "drifted", more of e-brake pulling and hanging on than anything but we got pretty good at 180's and 360's

also i regularly go to glamis and, if you want to call it, "drift" in sandrails

ive also gotten sideways in a lifted 99 yukon on a cross street and a big V10 F350 extended cab an on-ramp:D

Motorer1
09-20-2003, 09:35 AM
sounds like fun:cool:

Gez
09-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Im a big fan of drifting , if you visit my site http://www.dtmproductions.net/photopost/pp311n/showgallery.php?cat=517&thumb=1 you will see loads of pics of me drifting my green bmw and also a silver bmw :)

http://www.dtmproductions.net/photopost/pp311n/data/517/2odi159-med.jpg
http://www.dtmproductions.net/photopost/pp311n/data/517/2odi66.jpg

Gez
09-24-2003, 11:43 AM
http://www.dtmproductions.net/photopost/pp311n/data/517/2odi152.jpg
http://www.dtmproductions.net/photopost/pp311n/data/517/2odi153.jpg
<br>
and this is what the tyres looked like afterwards :)
http://www.dtmproductions.net/photopost/pp311n/data/3005/2tires.jpg

megotmea7
09-24-2003, 05:43 PM
looks like you need some stiffer springs on the green bimmer, are you running the stockers? mabe its just you have a heavy ass car? cool nontheless if i was to get into serious drifting like that id need a seperate set of rims and tires hmmm...

Gez
09-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Its actually got a 40mm drop :) , the ride is hard but when i see photo's like this im also suprised at the amount of body roll , im going for a coil over setup next :) and the car is seriously heavy cause it is packed with sound and loads and loads of sound deadening material everywhere :)

megotmea7
09-24-2003, 11:39 PM
do you know the spring rates? and are you using the stock shocks? anti-sway bars?

henk4
09-25-2003, 01:38 AM
IMHO a controlled four wheel drift will not result in tyre smoke, so I am not sure what the beamer guys are doing other than ruining tyres.

megotmea7
09-25-2003, 09:17 AM
drifting without tire smoke? whenever you slide a car causeing the tires to loose traction there will be tire smoke, from the pics it looks like theres guys use their power to break the tires loose than exding the lateral limitations of the tire thru other means, this usually causes more tire smoke because there is a greater difference in ground speed and tire speed but it is still drifting, and a "four wheel drift" in my mind cant be controlled, if by four wheel you mean all four wheels sliding then there will be very little control mostly thru the trottle to be fully in control the fornt tires should have at least a little bit of grip to help controll your line and further controll how sideways you are;) (with some exeptions on awd cars since counter steer will pull the car out of the drift)

Gez
09-25-2003, 09:40 AM
4 wheel drift cant be safely done unless you have a subaru or mitsubishi that has all wheel drive , when i was racing the green BMW its only a 318 so underpowered , so the ideal way to get it sideways is by getting up to max speed in 2nd gear , then change into 3rd and get a bit more speed , say to 100km/h then downchange into 2nd , the rear wheels will lock and then i hold the sideways drift with throttle and steering , the silver BMW was a 325 so it had the power , so i used handbrake to get the slide started then used all the power to keep the rear wheels spinning and hold the slide :)

henk4
09-25-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by megotmea7
drifting without tire smoke? whenever you slide a car causeing the tires to loose traction there will be tire smoke, from the pics it looks like theres guys use their power to break the tires loose than exding the lateral limitations of the tire thru other means, this usually causes more tire smoke because there is a greater difference in ground speed and tire speed but it is still drifting, and a "four wheel drift" in my mind cant be controlled, if by four wheel you mean all four wheels sliding then there will be very little control mostly thru the trottle to be fully in control the fornt tires should have at least a little bit of grip to help controll your line and further controll how sideways you are;) (with some exeptions on awd cars since counter steer will pull the car out of the drift)

Well, you may remember that previous generations of F1 cars could be perfectly put into a four-wheel drift (best example Maserati 250F) to obtain the highest speed through long curves. When you say that the a wheel is loosing traction and therefore causes the tyre to smoke, you loose speed and "drifting" becomes pointless. To say that a controlled 4-wheel drift does not exist will make the great Fangio turn around in his grave. You could still ask Sir Sterling Moss about this.

What these guys are actually doing is provoking excessive oversteer, which has nothing to with trying to reach the highest speed through curves but is just a way of sponsering Michelin or Goodyear.

megotmea7
09-25-2003, 12:07 PM
you and i are talking about 2 different things, what your talking about is pushing a car to the edge most of the time youll hear the tire houling unde the load and not smoke but it still has a good deal of traction, im talking about exebition drifting which has nothing to do with lap times or corner speed, its about taking a corner as "stylishly" as you can getting sideways, making noise and smoke its uses are little beyond the fact of saying you did it and can do it. its more of a fun way to drive than a fast one keeping a car under control while sliding sideways in a corner is a challenge and after you acomplish it you are proud that you did. i may still be unshure about what your talking about so be patient :)

henk4
09-25-2003, 12:20 PM
I think I am being patient, what I am talking about is a controlled 4-wheel drift, while you are obviously talking about going extremely sideways (power-oversteer) just to impress the lookers-on. I simply would not call that drifting but trying to show off so the title of thread should be :"do you show off" and not "do you drift". If that had been the case I would have stayed away from this discussion.

megotmea7
09-25-2003, 01:22 PM
well everyone has their own definition for everything...
if youll check exebition drifting is very popular in japan and in most peoples minds drifting is asociated with taking a car through a corner sideways, be it power on oversteer(witch is not driftin if it is not held and is not the only way to drift) feint motion, e-brakeing, shift locking, or just plain entering a corner to fast for you tires to remain attached to the road and cuting the wheel so that the lateral friction slows you instead of your brakes(can be effective for high corner speeds altho on exit it is usually slow if you enter too fast. ppl dont do it to impress on-lookers (well some dont) but rather because it is fun. feeling out of control yet staying in. as for it being pointless so is burning out, and if you want to get down to it racing (any automotive) is nothing more than a waste of gas, man hours, technology, and resorces but its fun and a spectaters sport also does that mean its pointless or "showing off"

henk4
09-25-2003, 01:58 PM
Thanks for your liberal approach to applying definitions. In my point of view a drift should be applied only if it results in making a car go faster through corners, and you will probably agree that when, in whatever category, a racing car is loosing its rear end, it will result in slower lap times. Your lap times go literally "up in smoke" (I assume you are familiar with this Cheech & Chong classic) For your information, also in Holland a renowned car magazine organises an annual drifting competition, whereby professional racing drivers are invited to continue going sideways for as long as possible but in real racing circumstances this should be avoided.

Finally I would like to carry your resume about usefulness a little bit further, ultimately human life is very detrimental to nature's resources and we in our part of the world should be grateful that we are getting such a large share of it.

megotmea7
09-25-2003, 04:25 PM
i agree, but take note i never said anything about applications of drifting in racing, drifting is more or less a variation of racing, take for example down hill BMX(bicycle) or motocross(dirtbike) both sports are about getting from point A to point B faster than the guy next to you, but after they became popular freestyle BMX and motocross branched off, neither is about going anywhere quick just about doing stuff more ppl than not cant do and having fun, they wouldnt do these tricks during a race because the chance of messing up and slowing you down is present. but in their own event they are fun and worth doing(to some ppl) and certainly fun to watch(anyone see the militia flip? i doubt anyone not in the US has but its a 360' backflip crazy stuff) anyway like i said its not about going fast but having fun, like doing "tricks" with your car hard to master but fun(and expensive) to do

henk4
09-28-2003, 03:38 AM
The cover of "Motorsport" (oct.2003) shows a picture of Ronnie Peterson in the Lotus 72. Have a look and you will understand what is meant by a controlled four wheel drift.

Motorer1
10-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Awesome pics, looks good :thumbsup:

Motorer1
11-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Obviously, i am talking about controlled drifting. Everything else is called "losing control"