PDA

View Full Version : Convertible Security

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-02-2004, 08:55 PM
I'm talking about a soft top convertible because I'm thinking about purchasing an older MX5 and the ones in my area dont all come with hardtops but even if they were to I wouldn't use them in the summer. I was just wondering what security measures are in place in soft top convertibles to deter theft and if someone were to slit the top how insurance would deal with this. Also what would the insurance rates be for an MX5 compared to a hardtop car of comprable performance price age milage ect.

I hear the phrase "Many convertible owners don't even lock the doors due to fear of their canvas tops being damaged" alot and I admit that thought has been swimming in my mind. At my age repairing a soft top would be quite expensive and I'm not quite sure whether its worth having a convertible with that fear always in the back of my mind.

Spastik_Roach
09-02-2004, 10:25 PM
2 Words. Hair Dressers, Car.

Matra et Alpine
09-03-2004, 03:36 AM
FIRST, my latest hobby-horse.........
You ask for help and yet haven't bothered to put your location in your profile.

So I've LOTS of advice and insurers in the UK.
But you know I can't be bothered typing it up in case it's of no use.

So, PLEASE, folks put your approximate location and then yo know you'll get advice and not be unfortunate to miss otu because of lack of information for the reader !!!

henk4
09-03-2004, 03:42 AM
2 Words. Hair Dressers, Car.

My hairdresser has an Audi TT :D

TheOne
09-03-2004, 01:31 PM
he lives in canada as far as i know matra(he posted that on another topic)

Matra et Alpine
09-03-2004, 03:16 PM
he lives in canada as far as i know matra(he posted that on another topic)
I'd only raised it coz it's getting to be more annoying when folks ask for assistance and DONT pout their location in the profile. Shows an astounding lack of understanding about the efforts others put in UCP to answers questions and an amazing limited knowledge of the worlds differences :)

Anyway .....

Can't help you with suppliers :(
BUT you cant' STOP anyone slitting a soft-top. An alarm can only tell AFTER it's happened and that won't save you anything.

If you want to protect the car, get a good alarm/immobilser and put the stickers on the windows. Get one with a microwave zone protection as these work even with the hood down :)

Search google for Thatcham alarms for the MX5 and you'll get some availabel in the UK :)