General
Make Mazda
Year 2002
Engine Location Front
Drive Type Rear Wheel
Weight 2387 lbs | 1082.7 kg.
Gears 5
Transmission Type manual

Dimensions | Chassis | Body Length 155.701 in | 3954.8 mm. | 4.0 m.
Width 66.001 in | 1676.4 mm. | 1.7 m.
Height 48.401 in | 1229.4 mm. | 1.2 m.
Wheelbase 89.201 in | 2265.7 mm. | 2.3 m

Engine
Cylinders 4
Engine Configuration Inline
Aspiration/Induction Normal
Displacement 1.8 L | 110 cu in. | 1803 cc.
Valves NA
Valvetrain DOHC
Horsepower 104.5 Kw / 142 BHP @ 7000 RPM
Torque 169.5 Nm / 125 Ft-lbs @ 5500 RPM

Toyota MR2 Spyder

General
Make Toyota
Year 2003
Engine Location Mid
Drive Type Rear Wheel
Weight 2195 lbs | 995.7 kg.
Gears 5
Transmission Type manual

Dimensions | Chassis | Body
Length 153.001 in | 3886.2 mm. | 3.9 m.
Width 66.701 in | 1694.2 mm. | 1.7 m.
Height 48.201 in | 1224.3 mm. | 1.2 m.
Wheelbase 96.501 in | 2451.1 mm. | 2.5 m.
Front Track 58.101 in | 1475.8 mm. | 1.5 m.
Rear Track 57.501 in | 1460.5 mm. | 1.5 m.

Engine
Cylinders 4
Engine Configuration Inline
Aspiration/Induction Normal
Displacement 1.8 L | 110 cu in. | 1803 cc.
Valves 16. 4 valves per cylinder.
Valvetrain DOHC
Horsepower 101.6 Kw / 138 HP @ 6400 RPM
Torque 169.5 Nm / 125 Ft-lbs @ 4001 RPM

Ferrari Tifosi
09-05-2004, 06:18 PM
This is a tough choice, as they both great cars. But in the end I believe I would pick the MX-5, it looks better in my opinion and I think the performance is better.

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-05-2004, 07:17 PM
MX5 handles better
mr2 is more twitchy and the fact that it has no practicallity whatsoever tarnishes it's appeal

DodgeNitroBIRM
09-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Though it has no practicallity, I'll go with the MR2. I've always been a fan of the mid-engine 4 cylinder. But I wish it stayed a hard top or that hard removable top than the convertable it is now, but I still think it looks good with the hard top style similar to what the MX5 (Miata for us in the US) has as an option.

Coventrysucks
09-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Just because it is mid-engined, it doesn't automatically make it good.

The MX5/ Miata has been widely praised throughout its life for being one of the best handling cars around.

The "new" MR2 isn't considered to be as acomplished as the MX5.
Also Toyota forgot to include any sort of luggage space, so all it is good for is driving-around-a-bit.

DodgeNitroBIRM
09-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Well, with the top down, the MX5 really doesn't have much room either. A downfall of any convertable.

I also agree that being mid-engined doesn't make it good, mid-engine cars usually have a higher difficulty for driving than with a Front-engine, rear drive car. With the weight being in the rear, they have a naturaly oversteering handling style.

There is also the fact that the body lines of the MX5 have been mostly the same since introduction, the MR2 has changed widely since introduction, from a triangular look, to a smooth, F355 look, and now the convertable. The MX5 has always had that rounded look, mostly the front facia has been the only noticable change.

Coventrysucks
09-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Well, with the top down, the MX5 really doesn't have much room either. A downfall of any convertable.

True, at 144 litres, you can't fit much into the MX-5's 'cargo area'.
However it is 144 litres more than you get with the MR2.

DodgeNitroBIRM
09-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I know. Just enough for the spare tire. :D

SilverArrowZ
09-05-2004, 08:41 PM
i'm a toyota fanatic.. so i'll go with the mr2.

it has lower hp, but remember it is lighter and the MR layout will give it better acceleration, and remember there is TRD bolt on supercharger for it, nice if you want a little more power.

but the miata is just as good, great handling and a good drift machine too. I actually did plan to get a miata if i got money but well, i don't.. lol.. its FR layout makes it easier to drift (what i mean is it is easier to control.. anyway..) and i dunno about the mr2 spyder but the mr2 AW20 oversteer greately due to the weight at the back of the car.

just my thoughts...

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Though it has no practicallity, I'll go with the MR2. I've always been a fan of the mid-engine 4 cylinder. But I wish it stayed a hard top or that hard removable top than the convertable it is now, but I still think it looks good with the hard top style similar to what the MX5 (Miata for us in the US) has as an option.

the mr2 3rd gen DOES have a removable hard top

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-05-2004, 09:23 PM

I also agree that being mid-engined doesn't make it good, mid-engine cars usually have a higher difficulty for driving than with a Front-engine, rear drive car. With the weight being in the rear, they have a naturaly oversteering handling style.

that makes no sense

DodgeNitroBIRM
09-05-2004, 10:00 PM
the mr2 3rd gen DOES have a removable hard top

I'm talking about the center being able to be removed, not the whole roof.

And what part of that you didn't get?

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-05-2004, 10:08 PM
I'm talking about the center being able to be removed, not the whole roof.

And what part of that you didn't get?

what?

are you talking about the t-bar style roof? cuz the sides are removable the center is the bar connecting the windshield assembly to the rear

DodgeNitroBIRM
09-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I suppose it was the T-top style. But I thought it's center part of the roof could be removed like a Corvette.

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-05-2004, 10:14 PM
yeah prolly
and as for your previous comment about how weight in the back gives it oversteering characteristics thats flawed
oversteer understeer neutral steer are induced by many dif factors
and even if all other factors are eliminated having weight in the rear doesnt automatically make it oversteer since through a corner the car is subjected to centrifugal (no centripetal) force which acts on the cog, if there is enough weight in the front the cg will be directly centered between teh axles giving it neutral handling
the rear weight actually increases traction which will give it understeering characteristics under acceleration

DodgeNitroBIRM
09-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Under accleration, yes. HOWEVER, when you let off the accelerator, the weight unloads and causes an oversteer condition (that many normal people can't predict and, thus, get into trouble) because the weight is then moved forward off of the rear tires and in the direction of the corner.

Ferrari Tifosi
09-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I suppose it was the T-top style. But I thought it's center part of the roof could be removed like a Corvette.

Targa Top? Like a Supra or a F50?

DodgeNitroBIRM
09-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Yes, thanks. Couldn't remember the word for it.

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Under accleration, yes. HOWEVER, when you let off the accelerator, the weight unloads and causes an oversteer condition (that many normal people can't predict and, thus, get into trouble) because the weight is then moved forward off of the rear tires and in the direction of the corner.

no thats only if you lift off in mid corner upsetting the balance of the car instantly, that would happen in any car including ff and fr cars
thats centrifugal force acting upon the center of gravity which increases the slip angle of the tires, if the center of gravity was nearing to the rear the rear would have a larger change in slip angle increasing oversteer but thats weight distribution

you said weight in the rear, thats a whole different thing

mid engined cars actually have their weight alot closer to their cog (hence MID engine) which have a low polar movement of enertia, since the weight is so close to the center steering response is quicker because there is no huge weight at the front of the car to throw around

under breaking mid engined cars will shift weight forward causing a their weight distribution to edge towards the 50:50 mark which gives a stable neutral steer tendency

crisis
09-06-2004, 12:18 AM
I beleive they are both to be axed. I suppose the Miata has had a long run. Id pick it anyway cause its rear wheel drive.

Karrmann
09-06-2004, 05:51 AM
I read an article in automobile magazine comparing the two and they said that the miata kills over the MR2

Hell_Unleashed
09-06-2004, 06:33 AM
Just last week, top gear were comparing these roadsters. They had the MR2, MX5 and the Fiat Barchetta which I HAVE to say is a complete piece of sh!t so I will not talk about it anymore.
Anyway, they concluded by saying the MX5 is a better performing and more practical car than the MR2. Jeremy also said something about Toyota deciding not to have a boot in the MR2 because they didn't want to upset the weight balance in the mid engined car... but I really wasn't sure if that was joke or not. :) I hate roadsters so I wouldn't go for either.

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Same here, Hell_Unleashed. I think they're all hairdressers cars. Give me a proper car anyday, perhaps a Audi S4 Convertible. Or any other proper convertible, like a mid 90's Mercedes E320 Conv, or M3 conv. The new M3 though. Not the old one.

Hell_Unleashed
09-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Same here, Hell_Unleashed. I think they're all hairdressers cars. Give me a proper car anyday, perhaps a Audi S4 Convertible. Or any other proper convertible, like a mid 90's Mercedes E320 Conv, or M3 conv. The new M3 though. Not the old one.
LOL... they showed the S4 convertible on the very same episode they showed the roadsters in... that is a sweeeeet car!

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-06-2004, 10:10 AM
I beleive they are both to be axed. I suppose the Miata has had a long run. Id pick it anyway cause its rear wheel drive.

they're both rwd ...

this is just like the time that dude on top gear thought a fiat was french

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-06-2004, 10:11 AM
LOL... they showed the S4 convertible on the very same episode they showed the roadsters in... that is a sweeeeet car!

cabrios and roadsters are 2 dif things

cabriolets are more on the luxurious laid back type car while roadsters are ment to be zippy toys

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-06-2004, 10:13 AM

dude thats the most messed up opinion ive ever heard

u think an M3 cabrio is a proper convertible while a simpler more to the point roadster isnt ...

right ... so i assume u think an slk is a proper convertible as well !?!?!
dude what are you smoking

Karrmann
09-06-2004, 10:32 AM

cmon, compare the two, and they are not hairdressers cars, those are civics. give me a break.

NAZCA C2
09-06-2004, 11:15 AM
The Miata is one of my favorite all time cars. The MR-2 isn't bad but I think the Miata looks a lot better. Plus there are Miata racing leagues galore in case you want to use the Miata on the track.

Does anybody have any pics of the special edition Miata from about year ago. I think it was called the Shinsen version.

Ferrari Tifosi
09-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Get a new Mazdaspeed Miata, mmmmm turbo. :D

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-06-2004, 03:39 PM
lol cant afford it

Renesis
09-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Does anybody have any pics of the special edition Miata from about year ago. I think it was called the Shinsen version.

2003 Mazda let out this version of the mx-5. there wasnt anything different about it except for a limited slip, different paint options and a finer interior, plus all the little trinkets, like badges, chrome and leather.

oh by the way, im a mx-5 fan too. since both these cars are realistically meant for the backroads, im just gonna give some slalom stats (im comparing the mr2 and the mazdaspeed version of the miata, because they are more similar in terms of pricing; msrp of mr2 and speed mx-5 respectively is 25,660 and 25,730):

mr2 spyder: 66.1 mph
mazdaspeed mx-5: 67.8 mph (roadandtrack)

Hell_Unleashed
09-06-2004, 10:35 PM
cabrios and roadsters are 2 dif things

cabriolets are more on the luxurious laid back type car while roadsters are ment to be zippy toys
Dude!! I never said roadsters and cabriolets were the same thing! I just said they showed the S4 convertible in the same episode... Dude!!... Dude?!? :P

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-07-2004, 03:40 PM
i wasnt refering to u hell

Hell_Unleashed
09-09-2004, 06:19 AM
i wasnt refering to u hell
my bad... thats probably why you quoted my post then?

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-09-2004, 07:55 PM
my bad... thats probably why you quoted my post then?
i quoted rs6

PerfAdv
09-25-2004, 06:00 PM
I compared both these cars thoroughly earlier this year and each has its advantages. I like the MR-S for its lighter weight, its mid-engine design, its better top mechanism(doesn't need cover when open), its better acceleration, and phenomenal gas mileage. The MX-5, I like its design both interior layout and body, the feel of the steering and shifter, and price as it's cheaper by several thousand $. In the end I decided on a base Miata with 5-speed, cost be just under 20K. The Toyota dealer wouldn't deal and 25K for a MR-S seems a little steep. Base Zs can be had for just under 30K. Price was the major deciding factor and I've found the Mazda has more of a following.

As for the comment being hairdressers cars: Both could use a little more power. But it requires a lot more skill to fly through a mountain pass without electronic assists that so many sportscar have these days. In the curvy stuff where more powerful cars can't always use their power advantage, the MX-5 pulls away. I have yet to run against a MR-S in the hills but feel confident because it's easier to push the Mazda's limits.

Handling: One real advantage the MR-S has is its rear weight bias allowing late braking. Especially on a downhill run, braking for a corner can unload the rear wheels and unless the car is perfectly straight will start bringing the rear around. This can too easily be induced in the MX-5, as many times I've adjusted the direction of the car with trailing-throttle oversteer or with a quick jab to the brakes. It's fun but when you're sliding you're losing time :D. Now I hear that the MR-S is twitchy, meaning the factory suspension settings havn't taken full advantage of the mid-engine layout.

MasterMadman
09-25-2004, 07:32 PM
The MR-2 (2nd gen)

Radoman
11-17-2004, 11:38 PM
... these new cars, I dunno. but If we were comparing the first generation of these two, the MR2 wins hands down. better yet, just get a mk.1 Supercharged MR2, and you beat them both. Plenty of trunk space, superior Mid Engine handling (yes, it is indeed better.) and more power.

Mattg
11-18-2004, 05:25 AM
Why Did You Copy My Thread?!?!?!

Karrmann
11-18-2004, 03:17 PM
mattg, this thread was made before you joined.

tmnt_ppn
11-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Toyota MR2

PsychoChimp22
11-19-2004, 05:27 PM
MR2, heres why:

1. The torque (and the hp for that matter) com much lower in the RPM range for a much better start.
2. Although they are both feather-weights, the mr2 is 200 lbs lighter which easliy makes up for 4 hp.
3. Mid-engined
4. Looks (Well i dono, looks dumb and boxy in the pic..... but i have been in a black one at it LOOKS awsome.)

BTW: The MR2's seats are comfy :D

Sure there are reasons the Miata is better..... but who cares!!!!