PDA

View Full Version : big question

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-07-2004, 04:07 PM
if u read my previous thread mx5 vs rx7 vs mr2 vs 240sx then you'll know ive already set my sights on a miata circa 95-96

im ready to get it next summer when ive saved up the required 8 grand but there's still ONE thing holding me back

im not sure if i will fit

im 5'10 and recently saw on a few websites that owners who are taller then 5'7 have trouble with headroom when the soft top is up

now im thinking ... im 3 inches taller then 5'7 so wouldnt my head go through the roof

after thinking for quite a bit i came to the conclusion that mazda would not have designed a car that half the population would not fit into ... until today
i saw a woman in her miata pulled up alongside my friend's camry, from what i could see she was no taller then 5'6 and the top of her head was level with the sun visors in the "up" position and that got me worried ... m i about to buy a car i cant fit into?

if so i heard of a simple modification which involves taking off the slide railes on the seats and bolting it directly into the floor mountings, im not sure of anyone has tried such a modification but im convinced that will give me a couple more inches of room plus since im already 17 (in oct) i doubt ill grow anymore so the seating position should stay relatively optimal for quite some time

megotmea7
09-07-2004, 05:22 PM
i think the miata has a seat lifter also(little knobs on the side that lift/lower either the front or the back or both) so it might be slightly adjustable, i feel your pain most cars wernt made for us taller ppl(im 6'3 riding most bikes and getting in the 7 is a bitch, fits like a glove once im in tho ;), getting out is another story...) taking off the seat rails might solve your problem but you will loose the adjuastablity and mounting is key(you dont want the seat coming loose in a collision) ive sat in a miata before and it wasnt to horrible uncomfortable but i couldnt see myself driving the car on a daily basis. my advice is to sit in one, dont have to test drtive just go to a dealer or check out the classifieds and ask to sit in one, you will find out if you could handle it. its also mostly based on personal preference, some ppl like more room than others, i had to slouch more than id have liked too but thats me.

bez
09-07-2004, 05:33 PM
I am 6'4 and almost bought a Miata last week. I test drove a couple of them, and although it took some effort getting in, they were in fact quite comfortable. The soft top is significantly higher in the center (where your head will be) than the top of the windshield. So you should have no reason to worry. Especially since you're supposed to drive those cars with the top down.

Just find someone selling a Miata and sit inside, you'll see it's fine (unless you also happen to weigh 350 pounds).

The hard top was a bit uncomfortable for me, but still workable. I have heard that the models after 98 are smaller on the inside, though.

I don't know where you are located, but around here in California you can get a '95 Miata in good condition for around $5000 without much effort.

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-07-2004, 06:22 PM
lmfao i am so underweight 5'10 and 120 pounds

lol man u 2 are huge, like tower over me haha, im already tall for my ethnic background im chinese and we arnt exactly known for our height ... excluding yao ming

yao

YO

no its yao

YOOOO

its YAO

YOOOOOOOOO

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-07-2004, 06:25 PM
thats more or less right, 5000usd 1.3 exchange rate would put it at 6500 but people here kinda mark up prices by the thousands

i see 91 mr2s for 16000 its insane, i saw a 93 rxy for 20 000 and i swear to god someone was selling a used sti for more then its sticker price

Blue Supra
09-07-2004, 07:15 PM
being 6"6 (no sh!t ;) ) i have issues with cars and size, i have to slip the clutch in the get my leg under the steering wheel of my datto. once im in tho even with the seat a bit forward if i have someone needing to sit behind me, its drivable, with the set pushed and rolled back a bit i fit quite comfortable. Small cars often give the misperception that ther's an absence of room. quite often once youre in theres enough room for even me. as megotmea7 said you really dont want that seat coming loose in a crash, it can even void your insurance if your not careful. :( So yeh, best advice go and sit in one and if its fine then theres no worries. I sat in an FC on the weekend to make sure i fit b4 i buy one, looks tight but theres really a lot of space. :D

megotmea7
09-08-2004, 02:14 PM
i have to slip the clutch in the get my leg under the steering wheel
same thing happenes to me but i have a habit of sitting in my car and starting it up to warm up for a couple minutes(then i go do something) when i come back out its a habit to but my foot on the brake when im getting in the car. my feet ar kinda large, 11.5-12 depending on the shoe, so i always blip the throttle accedently when twisting my leg to get under the steering wheel, its funny because it usually revv's up to about 5-6krpm(4-5krpm is right about the point where my exhaust note starts getting roudy...) and when i let off it chirps the bov and everyone looks in my general direction like i did it on purpose.

I sat in an FC on the weekend to make sure i fit b4 i buy one, looks tight but theres really a lot of space FC's have about the same amount of space, its fine when your in the car but its the getting in and out that is the problem. solution... never get out ;)

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-09-2004, 07:53 PM
lol megot thats hilarious

i heard males stop growing at age 18 so im trying to gain a couple inches as fast as i can