PDA

View Full Version : Humble Beginnings

NoOne
09-30-2003, 08:00 AM
I think it is safe to say that we are all auto-enthusiasts, maybe of varying degrees, some into the racing scene others into hot-rodding and/or restoration. I'm sure we all are dreamers and want that exotic in our garages.

Lets find out where we started from; list the 1st car you ever owned and if you are like me ... the 1st car you owned that actually made it to the street :D . Pix would definately be cool.

Mine was a 1977 Chevy Camaro RS white & black with a white vinyl interior, 305 auto .... I stole a "stop" sign from down the street to hammer and rivet into place as a front passenger floor :D . It never made the street ... but I sold it for $150 more than I paid for it ($400)

First car to make it onto the street was a 1973 Plymouth Satellite, horrible green color exterior and interior it had a 318 auto and ran beautifully. My friends and I worked on this car in the underground parking garage of my apartment, piecing together a new exhaust system from the local salvage yard, as a final touch we painted it black .... Tremclad black with rollers and brushes !!! ....didn't look bad in that lighting, but when it actually saw daylight ..... lmao, to call it embarassing is such an understatement, but hell I was only 18 and it was a "musclecar" least in my eyes back then. :cool:

Later.

Egg Nog
10-01-2003, 06:51 PM
Haha... my "humble beginnings" started a little more recently :)

See this page for details:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=152

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to metion... It should be on the streets before this summer :) But not quite yet...

NoOne
10-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Good potential there ... I haven't seen a 914 on the street in yrs
Keep posting pics.

Should have mentioned I'm 35 and I bought my 1st car when I was 17, so my "humble beginnings" started quite a while back .... funny how you remember every car you ever drew blood on tho ...lol:D

Later

16-4Veyron
10-07-2003, 10:32 PM
i have yet 2 have humbel beginings. . . im 13
lol

Motorer1
10-26-2003, 10:45 PM
ah, my 1989 Dodge Ram 50....

megotmea7
10-27-2003, 02:30 AM
well i started with a not quite brand spankin new 240sx in 96 and toyed around with it for a while then i got a really good deal on a 86 fiero gt and wanted to make a ferrari conversion of some sort so i started saving and got a way better job which opened up a whle new world of possibilitys (about a 2 monthes after i got my job i blew the fiero's motor:rolleyes: so i put that on hold) after a while of looking i finaly found a decently priced decent condition FD that i traded my 240 in for and the rest is history. the fiero still sits in its rebuild but not running and not worked on in almost a year and a half state and i drive the 7. i want to get the fiero running so i can sell it and get back just a little bit of the money i put into it but everytime i get a little extra money i blow it on some stuff i probly could live without(turbos and the sort...) well anyway i want a bike so i can get some decent mileage out of a tank and have a little money left over for other things... namely making the 7 get even worse gas mileage ;)

NoOne
10-27-2003, 07:11 AM
I always wanted a Fiero ... tho I don't honestly know why, other than the fact its a good looking, cheap mid-engine car with a ton of potential.

When I started this thread I was hoping to get some really cool and diverse stories from such a multi-cultural forum membership, until this morning I thought this thread had been condemned to die peacefully.

Thanx for giving it a second chance .... I was beginning to think most people were too embarassed to post anything on their first cars :D

Egg Nog
10-28-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by NoOne
I always wanted a Fiero ... tho I don't honestly know why, other than the fact its a good looking, cheap mid-engine car with a ton of potential.

I don't think you need another reason! :)

Batmobile_Turbo
10-28-2003, 08:07 PM
i'm still 15 but i'll post a pic of my sweet ride when i get it.:)

henk4
11-01-2003, 11:43 AM
This was my first ride, it should be known in North America, because I saw one in Elkhardt Lake in 2001.

NoOne
11-01-2003, 01:30 PM
heya Henk, what is that car? ..... looks like it might be a Lada :D

henk4
11-01-2003, 01:47 PM
heya Henk, what is that car? ..... looks like it might be a Lada :D

Funny you should say that, I actually got my driving lessons in a Fiat 124, the European Car of the year in 1966, and which did continue its career as the Lada, which became one of the most successful cars ever produced. I spent four years in some of the former soviet republics, and the Lada was still the jack of all trades, and on top of that everybody could repair it. The ride however was quite mediocre.

My first car was the Renault 4GTL, (as shown) the final version of the car that started its career in 1961 with a three speed box and 850 cc. 18 years later it had got 4 speeds and 1100 cc. It could do 120 kph and average mileage was 16 km per litre.

NoOne
11-01-2003, 02:10 PM
I think you might have the "humblest" humble beginning ....so far anyway :p

henk4
11-01-2003, 02:14 PM
I think you might have the "humblest" humble beginning ....so far anyway :p

Just wait till somebody shows up with a 2CV or a Trabant

Egg Nog
11-02-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by henk4
Just wait till somebody shows up with a 2CV or a Trabant

If you're going to look at it that way, my first "humble beginning" was a Red PowerWheels Corvette about a decade-and-a-half ago :)

Man, what a sweet ride. ;)

megotmea7
11-03-2003, 03:26 AM
hey i used to put those together!
<first job was at toys r us puting bikes and powerwheels together;)

Motorer1
11-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by megotmea7
well i started with a not quite brand spankin new 240sx in 96 and toyed around with it for a while then i got a really good deal on a 86 fiero gt and wanted to make a ferrari conversion of some sort so i started saving and got a way better job which opened up a whle new world of possibilitys (about a 2 monthes after i got my job i blew the fiero's motor:rolleyes: so i put that on hold) after a while of looking i finaly found a decently priced decent condition FD that i traded my 240 in for and the rest is history. the fiero still sits in its rebuild but not running and not worked on in almost a year and a half state and i drive the 7. i want to get the fiero running so i can sell it and get back just a little bit of the money i put into it but everytime i get a little extra money i blow it on some stuff i probly could live without(turbos and the sort...) well anyway i want a bike so i can get some decent mileage out of a tank and have a little money left over for other things... namely making the 7 get even worse gas mileage ;)

Nice, i love the 240SX. I want to try one out when i turn 18, and then turn it into a Drifting Car. Hope I don't crash!!!

henk4
11-03-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Egg Nog
If you're going to look at it that way, my first "humble beginning" was a Red PowerWheels Corvette about a decade-and-a-half ago :)

Man, what a sweet ride. ;)

Don't tell me that that's a real car, a 2CV is, see this pic

Egg Nog
11-04-2003, 08:25 PM
Don't tell me that that's a real car, a 2CV is...

Yes, I'm fully aware that a 2CV is a real car :) I just thought I'd mention my sweet old 'vette :)

Actually, interestingly enough, the owner of the British Columbia Citroen owner's club lives about 5 minutes walk from my house. He owns a 2001ish BMW 325i and 2 Citroens (I beleive one is a 2CV, but I'm not really an expert on them).

What is it, 35 roaring horsepower? :)

crisis
11-04-2003, 11:09 PM
Don't tell me that that's a real car, a 2CV is, see this pic
The best thing about the 2CV is that it removes the neccesity for me to explain why I hate French cars. It is, however a cheap shot at VW, succeeding as it does in taking the mantly of the worlds biggest hunk of shit from the beetle.

Motorer1
11-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by crisis
The best thing about the 2CV is that it removes the neccesity for me to explain why I hate French cars. It is, however a cheap shot at VW, succeeding as it does in taking the mantly of the worlds biggest hunk of sh*t from the beetle.

yes, i definatly agree. Those things are so stupid i can't beleive anyone would buy them. But the Beetle is ok. My friend converted one into a Baja Bug (an off-road beetle for those who don't know ;) )and we had some fun with that car.

crisis
11-05-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Motorer1
yes, i definatly agree. Those things are so stupid i can't beleive anyone would buy them. But the Beetle is ok. My friend converted one into a Baja Bug (an off-road beetle for those who don't know ;) )and we had some fun with that car.
My mate has a fibre glass beach buggy. Very amusing... He bought his daughter an old Beetle. This from a man who owns a 100 series Landcruiser with a supercharger, a 350cu 330hp Torana, a 500hp 350cu Torana race car. My next door neighbour has an immaculate 89 Corvette show car and a VW beetle he chooses as a daily driver. What is it with these seemingly normal people who have a passion for high performance cars and at the same time a perverted passion for the worlds worst handling gutless abortion on wheels. Apologies to the 2CV.

henk4
11-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Egg Nog
Yes, I'm fully aware that a 2CV is a real car :) I just thought I'd mention my sweet old 'vette :)

What is it, 35 roaring horsepower? :)

Well actually no, this early sixties model, or even late fifties has only 12 HP. It never reached more than about 25 in the last versions.

However, and I know from experience, roadholding is far superior over the Beetle, it is simply impossible to topple over, you can lift the inner rear wheel when cornering, but that's it.

Few people know that in the sixties there was a version called Sahara, of which about 600 were built. It was one of the first SUV's as it was fitted with two synchronised engines, one driving the front wheels, the other the rear wheels. It was unstoppable and the few remaining examples command premium prices theses days.

henk4
11-06-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by crisis
The best thing about the 2CV is that it removes the neccesity for me to explain why I hate French cars. It is, however a cheap shot at VW, succeeding as it does in taking the mantly of the worlds biggest hunk of shit from the beetle.

Ever driven one? Great fun, incredible roadholding.

You have to remember the period when this car came on the market, with all industrial infrastructure in Europe in shambles after the war and the economy at an all time low. It made motoring accessible to the French "masses". Of course you are entitled to hate French cars, but this one should not be the reason.

crisis
11-06-2003, 05:17 PM
Ever driven one? Great fun, incredible roadholding.

You have to remember the period when this car came on the market, with all industrial infrastructure in Europe in shambles after the war and the economy at an all time low. It made motoring accessible to the French "masses". Of course you are entitled to hate French cars, but this one should not be the reason.
I admit to never having driven one. I would imagine that it had great road holding. Then again so does my bike given that I cannot ride faster than about 30kmh. I imagine that the suspension would not have been particularly taxed by the excessivley high cornering sppeds possible in this beast. Still, fun is where you find it. Nevertheless you hit on an important point. For its day it may have been adequate, even quite good. Within the context of 2003 it remains a piece of shit however. I know from our previous jousts that you are a classic lover so I think I understand your affection for cars is not always based on pure performance.

henk4
11-07-2003, 02:18 AM
The maximum cornering speed of the 2CV is such that an oversteering Beetle would have left the road well before that. The suspension does't look like it, but it is very strong. In spite of the long wheel travel, it is possible to three wheel through the corners, but you have to do everything wrong, including lifting and applying the brakes. Of course absolute speeds are not that high, but the last versions could do 110 and 120 with favourable winds.

The chassis was also used for the Ami (the one with the Anglia style rear window), which ultimately saw a 4 cylinder version when Citroen put the 1000 CC GS engine in there. It came a bit too late to become really a success, but it had the potential. The chassis was also used for Citroen's first rotary engined car, just to demonstrate the intrinsic capabilities.

Good that you are able to do 30 on the bike, but for how long? By the way, when going downhill on a normal road and a racing bike, you can indeed reach cornering speeds which are difficult to match by a car. Also that I know from experience and it's a great feeling. The only setback is that you also have to do the climb, and I am not claiming that I could reach the same cornering speeds there.

megotmea7
11-07-2003, 03:47 AM
thats when you get a CBR1000RR and get the best of both worlds... ohh and i do plan on geting one:)

henk4
11-07-2003, 03:56 AM
thats when you get a CBR1000RR and get the best of both worlds... ohh and i do plan on geting one:)

that will not do much for your shape, isn't it?

Motorer1
11-07-2003, 12:40 PM
Did anyone start out with a motorcycle as their first or second ride? I am bound and determined to put a honda crotch rocket in my garage by next summer.

16-4Veyron
11-13-2003, 08:26 PM
ahh why do i have to be 13!!!!

Motorer1
11-14-2003, 11:26 AM
I was thinking maybe a Harley but they are expensive. Suggestions?

NoOne
11-14-2003, 01:38 PM
I was thinking maybe a Harley but they are expensive. Suggestions?

Depends on your experience, I had 8 years of off road riding before buying my first street bike .... a Honda V45 Magna, I had several street bikes ranging from that Honda on up to a Yamaha V-Max and Suzuki GSX-R 1100.

If you have no riding experience I would say stay away from anything that is costly to maintain and to fix(Harley-Davidson), they are great bikes, but I don't think they're ideal for a new rider.
Likewise, I would recommend staying away from the crotch rockets the 600cc bikes of today would lay an ass-whoopin' on the 1000+ cc bikes of 10 years ago.
:cool:

henk4
11-14-2003, 02:04 PM
come on guys, this thread is about what we started with, not what we like to start with when we will reach the age. I might be dreaming of a Ducati 998, but I never made it further than the passenger seat of a Matchless, so let's get back to reality.

NoOne
11-15-2003, 07:25 AM
come on guys, this thread is about what we started with, not what we like to start with when we will reach the age. I might be dreaming of a Ducati 998, but I never made it further than the passenger seat of a Matchless, so let's get back to reality.

good point

Motorer1
11-18-2003, 01:04 PM
yeah, guess I will just stick to 4 wheels.

megotmea7
11-20-2003, 04:48 AM
yeah, guess I will just stick to 4 wheels.
going the "honda crotch rocket" with training wheels route i see... :D

henk4
11-20-2003, 05:08 AM
why not immediately go for the Tomahawk, it's for sale now

Motorer1
11-20-2003, 12:32 PM
going the "honda crotch rocket" with training wheels route i see... :D

LOL, nah, i am gonna save up fur another ride. as in a car.

r34_296kw
12-15-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by 16-4Veyron
ahh why do i have to be 13!!!! because you were possibly born in 1990...besides convince your old man to take you driving...well mine didnt need any convincing

Falcon500
12-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Well i know im a bit late but but ive owned my ford falcon since i was 14 now 18 and it hasnt been on the road since i got it im now cutting plates for it and stuff like that. With the job im going for that=$$$$ and plenty of it but 8-5 5 and even possibly 6 days a week wont allow me to get much done to it :( When i get the money together im 'almost' tempted to get the rust repairs and while im at it get paint done for me and whileim waiting ill spend some time on the 5 liter windsor and seeif i can get myself a top loader to put in it as well as some fairmont interior and a new set of wheels.
One of my mates drove that kind of citroen once and he said the MOST gutless car hed ever drivan.

-datsun 1600-
12-16-2003, 12:11 AM
I have only had mild humble beginnings the old green mazda familia which had no air filter only lasted a day and costed $0

may-december and i will have picks of my new 1st car :)

r34_296kw
12-16-2003, 12:17 AM
well first car i ever drove was a corolla but my first car was a crx... it was the only car at that time that fitted into my budget

Nildo
12-16-2003, 03:59 PM
My first ride was a 1988 toyota corolla. My big mistake was that I let my parents choose the car, as I was busy with year 12 exams.

It was, no doubt, a POS in the worst possible way. The lot we bought it from closed down two weeks after our purchase (warning light, anyone?) and then the problems started. First the engine mounts were snapped, then we found metal fragments inside a piston (???). Then a little later when my brother was driving it he overheated it but couldn't pull over and the gasket blew. Turned out I needed a new motor, and I foolishly replaced it with a standard, gutless, 4A-C. I was rammed 3 times on the road in this car, no accidents were my fault but I got no money from any of my assailants.

I drove the car for about 4 years, though for only about 18 months of that time was the car even on the road, then I fixed up the body and sold it. I had paid $6500 for the car, and sold it for only $500. The positive note? Well, after all the mechanicals started to fail I figured that the best thing to do would be to learn about cars so I could fix it myself. A very wise invesment, and it also wound up getting me into cars altogether, hence my input right now.

Luckily my older brother is now driving a supercharged AW11 MR2. Looks 80's to the max, but stops, goes and corners like a crazed go-kart, so although I am broke and don't have a car I can still get my thrills!

r34_296kw
12-16-2003, 05:09 PM
Well, after all the mechanicals started to fail I figured that the best thing to do would be to learn about cars so I could fix it myself. A very wise invesment, and it also wound up getting me into cars altogether, hence my input right now.
[/B][/QUOTE] well thats the main reason im here too otherwise i'd have still been in that forum from hackers.com

Batmobile_Turbo
12-16-2003, 08:19 PM
what i really want for a first car is a beetle that was made before 1970. or maybe a miata because they're pretty good. or maybe a murcielago:cool:

Lagonda
06-09-2004, 01:05 PM
One of my mates drove that kind of citroen once and he said the MOST gutless car hed ever drivan.

I can guarantee you that if you are able to drive a 2CV properly, you are good driver. This is the BEST car to learn to drive.

Oh and a 2CV or VW Beetle ? A 2CV any day.