PDA

View Full Version : cylinders in same total displacement

mee
09-11-2004, 06:54 AM
simple: which, do you think, will be more powerful, a 4 litre V-8 or a 4 litre v-12?? note that both has the same grand total of displacement (4 litre)

so in other words, will the engine be more powerful by just adding the amount of cylinders? also note that the engine's mas is also increased along with the amount of cylinders...

paul
09-11-2004, 07:54 AM
im pretty nieve to this stuff but im guessing that the v-8 would be much more efficent and lighter for the displacement but then again ummmm ok im confused a whole box of thoughts has just opened up in my head !!!

matra??

NAZCA C2
09-11-2004, 09:22 AM
The V-12 would probably be more powerful.

DasModell
09-11-2004, 09:31 AM
i posted an article about the 16 cilinder 1.5l formula one engine .. and there it explains why and by how much it will have more power . it was one topic with matra vs somebody i forgot .. :D . and i'm to lazy to look up myself .. sorry :D

Slicks
09-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Truthfully that is a very vague question, it all depends on the tuning.

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-11-2004, 02:10 PM
depends on the bore and stroke and compression ratio but the v12 will run more smoothly which is technically more efficient, i doubt you'd see the dif though if the compression ratio and bore=stroke profile stayed the same

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-11-2004, 02:10 PM
oh i forgot about camshaft profiles :D

NAZCA C2
09-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Hey KnifeEdge don't forget about the V angle, and more importantly the valvetrain. OHV, SOHC, DOHC very important.

paul
09-12-2004, 03:55 AM
so really this question can be debated for hours on end

henk4
09-12-2004, 04:05 AM
The problem has been a real one in F1. Ferrari was faced with the dilemma when engine size was reduced from 3.5 to 3 litres to continue with the V12 or to go down to a V10 or even a V8 (like the venerable Cosworth DFV). After extensive testing it was found that the slightly better revving capacity (shorter stroke, lower piston speeds) and therefore higher top power output of the V12 was offset by the weight savings for the V10, (shorter block, 2 less cylinders and valve train) and in spite of the traditions linked with a Ferrari V12 it was decided to go for 10 cylinders only. At the beginning of the 3.5 litre class in 1989 Renault made the same calculations for the differences between a V10 and a V8 and choose for the V10.

mee
09-14-2004, 03:04 AM
OK,here are some new guides:

variable cam timing
natural asipiration
V cylinder arrangement
4valve/cyl
stock intake/exhaust system
no exotic materials

sorry, but hey,everybody make mistakes,don't they??? :p

henk4
09-14-2004, 05:12 AM

guides for what?

charged
09-14-2004, 07:50 AM
The problem has been a real one in F1. Ferrari was faced with the dilemma when engine size was reduced from 3.5 to 3 litres to continue with the V12 or to go down to a V10 or even a V8 (like the venerable Cosworth DFV). After extensive testing it was found that the slightly better revving capacity (shorter stroke, lower piston speeds) and therefore higher top power output of the V12 was offset by the weight savings for the V10, (shorter block, 2 less cylinders and valve train) and in spite of the traditions linked with a Ferrari V12 it was decided to go for 10 cylinders only. At the beginning of the 3.5 litre class in 1989 Renault made the same calculations for the differences between a V10 and a V8 and choose for the V10. Yep I agree it all comes down to piston speed shorter stroke lower piston speed=more revs which equals more power

SilverArrowZ
09-14-2004, 08:17 AM

variable cam timing
natural asipiration
V cylinder arrangement
4valve/cyl
stock intake/exhaust system
no exotic materials

sorry, but hey,everybody make mistakes,don't they??? :p

i guess those are the "rules" the v8 and the v12 are to follow right?
well i got some more questions to make things clearer.

Variable cam timing - sure they got variable timing but how much? they can be different.
NA-no question ask here.
V cylinder - also no Qs ask
4valve/cyl - size/diameter of the valve? lift?
intake/exhauset - they may be stock but one engine's filter might be more restrictive than the other and since there is no car brand to compare how do we know what is "stock" here?

okay even if you gimme all those info i honestly can't give an answer too.. just wanna make things clearer.

paul
09-15-2004, 12:19 PM
god sake there is always one !!!!

just kidding mate

can anyone come up with the spec ?