PDA

View Full Version : What does stroking mean...

d-quik
09-11-2004, 08:11 AM
I hear this term when people change the size of cylinders in an engine by "stroking" the cylinders to make em larger or smaller. What does this mean.

Sweeney921
09-11-2004, 08:33 AM
oh, i was about to say.......

johnnynumfiv
09-11-2004, 08:36 AM
Stroking doesn't change the size of the cylinders, it changed how much movement it has from BDC to TDC, one part of the formula to find displacement. I believe when you stroke the engine, you change the crankshaft and connecting rods.

NAZCA C2
09-11-2004, 09:19 AM
When you "stoke" an engine you are increasing the distance that the piston has to move. Lets say you have an engine with a 3 inch bore (thats the width of the cylinder and a 4 inch stroke (thats how far the piston moves up and down in the cylinder). Now say you want to increase your engines displacement to get more power. You can either bore the engine out which requires that you actually bore bigger holes into the engine block to accomodate larger pistons. Or you can stroke the engine which requires different length connecting rods and a different crank shaft to make the pistons move up and down further (giving you more volume inside the cylinder and increasing displacement).

Egg Nog
09-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Here we go again :)

Matra et Alpine
09-11-2004, 01:58 PM
It's good for increasing the torque more than the power ( as opposed to boring whcih does it the other way round :) )

UK CARS
09-11-2004, 02:06 PM
I prefer the way Egg Nog's presented his post. Your beaten Matra, face it.
:)

Egg Nog
09-11-2004, 02:14 PM
It's also good to mention that a high-revving engine requires a shorter stroke, while optimum fuel efficiency requires a longer stroke.

UK CARS
09-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Be prepared, Matra is going to come.

Egg Nog
09-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Be prepared, Matra is going to come.
You're really out to get him, aren't you?

Matra et Alpine
09-11-2004, 02:21 PM
I prefer the way Egg Nog's presented his post. Your beaten Matra, face it.
:)
definately, Egg-Nog got his praise and rep the last time for using a drawing.

But go back and read, what I added is a different technical point about strokeing which is all about helpign the original poster. Go put the beer-bias away for tonight, please :)