PDA

View Full Version : Member Galleries?

SPHFerrari
09-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Is there any way the UCP could create member galleries. Ive gotten one at Supercarfreak.net and its is pretty cool, as well as a big attraction. There is a link on that site to download the plugin or software or something and i think it would be cool if UCP would do that. WHat do you think? Mods? Wouter, is it a possibility?

Coventrysucks
09-14-2004, 03:49 PM
Could be integrated into the profile:

View Public Profile
View Gallery
Send a Private Message to...
Find More Posts by...
etc.

That certainly would be an easier way to find pictures that someone has taken, rather than searching through all of their posts to find a particular picture.

Most people are probably going to load the pics as attachments anyway, so I can't see that it would cause a huge issue with storage - the existing file size restrictions could remain in place.

Karrmann
09-14-2004, 04:30 PM
they had it at AF and it was cool, so I wouldn't mind that.

Matra et Alpine
09-14-2004, 04:44 PM
I agree, it would be a good idea.

But, some caveats.

The problem with the galerry is it makes it too easy to have a 'leech' pull all a persons attachments for use on another site ( we know we don't want that again ). So it woudl be best if it only showed the thumbnails maybe ?

I also think it woudl be anatural place for a search facility. I think I've posted pics a few times because I couldnt' remember the attachment already uploaded.

What do others think about the security of their own images/videos ?

Blue Supra
09-14-2004, 04:45 PM
what do you mean by member galleries? like a gallery of all the pics we've ever posted?

Blue Supra
09-14-2004, 04:47 PM
I agree, it would be a good idea.

But, some caveats.

The problem with the galerry is it makes it too easy to have a 'leech' pull all a persons attachments for use on another site ( we know we don't want that again ). So it woudl be best if it only showed the thumbnails maybe ?

I also think it woudl be anatural place for a search facility. I think I've posted pics a few times because I couldnt' remember the attachment already uploaded.

ah k, that answers my questiom, thanks matra

security of your images, just put a signature on your images/videos somewhere. like BLUE SUPRA

whiteballz
09-14-2004, 04:54 PM
those blur supra can be removed, tipe your name in paint on a car pic, and i will remove it and keep the image looking good, (for the most part)..

and im not that great at photoshop (im good but im not like painterr ruig and best of all IAC.

Coventrysucks
09-14-2004, 05:59 PM

Could be done with thumbnails, or have the size restricted to 800x600, and then if someone requests a larger copy, it could be posted as an attachment, or emailed or something.

You could try it by disabling right click, but you can get round that easily enough with the 'print screen' button.

Spastik_Roach
09-14-2004, 08:30 PM
Well I know for some choppers this would be just the thing! I'm all for it...

Mustang
09-15-2004, 01:16 PM

i think that we would just have ot put out name on the corner with a little symbol such as

James :)

Matra et Alpine
09-15-2004, 01:26 PM
I think it woudl be fine if it looked like the "User CP" .. "attachements" window.

What do you think ?
It could let us look at others attachmenets the same way ( but with no delete ) :)
I like the way that allows you to go to the thread the attachment was posted in.

Add a search attachement name and I'd be a happy chappy :)

SPHFerrari
09-16-2004, 05:21 PM
i think that would work, matra, but there needs to be a thumbnail so u see what ur looking at before you open it. also, i think that worrying about a leech taking photos from the galleries is not something that should keep this from happening. everyone knows when they post pics online, someone might take those pics and pass em off for their own. whether they are all in one place or not, its the same risk. as much as i dont like the idea of my pics being stolen, i think it would be nice to have galleries.

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2004, 06:05 PM
i think that would work, matra, but there needs to be a thumbnail so u see what ur looking at before you open it.
In the "User CP" .. "Attachements" there's a button at the bottom to view thumbnails.
I'm thinking we can rip-off all that code for the new views so should be feasible.

JabbaWorld only lets users see files after a few posts.
Maybe we cold use the post count or the rep count to decide if you can view these thumbnails, that at least gives some protection from leeches.

Blue Supra
09-16-2004, 08:26 PM
Solid Idea. but what would we justify as the lowest rep/no of posts? 15 rep would be good.

IBrake4Rainbows
09-16-2004, 11:31 PM
I think it's probably better just to have a Link to your attachment File, that would make life so much easier, so you don't post the same thing twice.