PDA

View Full Version : Pics from the SF to SM road race

SCWP1
09-14-2004, 10:21 PM
On Saturday, I went to meet the arrival of the Great San Francisco-to-Santa Monica Open Road Race, put on by Martin Swig of the California Mille. This was the first running of this 'Revival Rallye' and the group was kept small and intimate. It also functioned as a 'test run' for the future.

There were some extrordinary cars there, including the Lime green Talbot, the Black Stutz, a Chrysler that has participated in several Mille Miglias, and two very special 'specials', the black Packard 12 Speedster, and the white 1928 Packard Zeppelin Special.

Here is info from a friend on the Packard 12.

"The Packard 12 speedster was built for Packard ace-engineer and executive Colonel Jesse Vincent. Vincent was the key figure in many Packard milestones, including the Liberty aero engine of WWI, the 12-cylinder marine engines used in PT boats, and almost every production model.

The car was kept by Packard for many years at the company's proving grounds, and served as a test-bed for many mechanical and styling exercises. I have a photo in my office of Jesse Vincent in this car (equipped with cycle fenders and other street garb) in a famous contest that "raced" the speedster with a golf ball hit by golf great (and loyal Packard customer) Gene Sarazen. "

http://www.s91227504.onlinehome.us/rr/sfsm.html

Best regards,

Steven

henk4
09-15-2004, 02:50 AM
very nice pictures is there a possiblitiy to get captions to the wbsite pics? Who is the guy with the wine bottle? etc.

Matra et Alpine
09-15-2004, 02:54 AM
very nice pictures is there a possiblitiy to get captions to the wbsite pics? Who is the guy with the wine bottle? etc.
can we add our own ?

For the first one....

"There was an engine there when I unloaded it this morning"

:)

henk4
09-15-2004, 02:58 AM
can we add our own ?

For the first one....

"There was an engine there when I unloaded it this morning"

:)

go on, don't stop at your first hint of success.

Matra et Alpine
09-15-2004, 03:05 AM
go on, don't stop at your first hint of success.
OK :)

You asked for it ......

Announcment -- "The car in bay 101 is the only one here older than Pieter Melissen"

ouch :)

henk4
09-15-2004, 03:11 AM
OK :)

You asked for it ......

Announcment -- "The car in bay 101 is the only one here older than Pieter Melissen"

ouch :)

could be very well true, but does not say anything about the car itself.

SCWP1
09-15-2004, 04:58 PM

Here are the pics as they are laid out on the webpage :

Row 1) Stutz DV, Riley (I think), Martin Swig, the organiser (Gray Hair) & Mayor of Santa Monica

Row 2) 1928 Packard Zeppelin Special (all three pics)

Row 3) Lime Green = Talbot, Black = Stutz, BRG = Riley

Row 4) Chrysler 77 ? , Chrysler 77 ? + Chrysler 80 ? + 2 unidentified cars, Chrsyler 80 ?

Row 5) Lancia, Martin Swig & Mayor, Packard 12

Row 6) Packard 12 (all three pics )

Hope this helps !

Is someone could give me a definative ID on the Red Chrysler, I'd be much obliged.

Best regards,

Steven