PDA

View Full Version : which is the best of these three general auto mags?

thinker
09-14-2004, 11:58 PM
car and driver, road and track, or motor trend?

Slicks
09-15-2004, 05:54 AM
car and driver, road and track, or motor trend?
Personally for me its a tie with C&D and Motortrend. I dont really like R&T because there numbers are usually slower than the other two.

drakkie
09-15-2004, 07:43 AM
None of them,the german magazine (Auto), motor und sport rocks....so does thew dutch autokampioen

QuattroMan
09-15-2004, 08:09 AM
None of them,the german magazine (Auto), motor und sport rocks....so does thew dutch autokampioen

thank you ! {Auto} is the beast I love there tests they are right on sorry I don't like any of this magzzzzz....so no vote from me...

"auto motor und sport" this the name of this magazine

www.glp.com you can get this magazine

QuattroMan
09-15-2004, 10:05 AM
here you go www.auto-motor-und-sport.de

cuntukimushroom
09-15-2004, 10:38 AM
car and driver like schuey and his F1 thingy

Benz_Boy_1
09-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Autocar

Rockefella
09-15-2004, 12:14 PM
although i believe road and track is the best of the three, i have a subscription to motor trend. I like their articles/car comparisons.

BMW325
09-15-2004, 12:27 PM
Road & Track owns the other two

Motor Trend is total crap...they always have too-fast acceleration figures, they always have stupid innacurate forecasts of future vehicles, and they are too mainstream when it comes to taste in cars...too many SUV/truck articles, not critical enough of a vehicle's handling dynamics. Oh, and their photography and page layouts suck too.

Car and Driver is ok...sometimes they can be a little MotorTrend-like on the issues above but then sometimes they actually have some good stuff thats more Road&Track-like.

Road&Track has the best photography of the three, best page layout, best road tests, best opinions, best taste in cars, and least amount of stupid future predictions.

However...
EVO is the greatest magazine (in English :D ) on the planet.

BMW325
09-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Personally for me its a tie with C&D and Motortrend. I dont really like R&T because there numbers are usually slower than the other two.

thats the worst reason you could possibly have

blackcat77
09-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Road and Track. I don't care about trucks and in the more general automotive magazines, it seems like that's all they talk about.

blackcat77
09-15-2004, 12:37 PM

I agree. If you want immediacy, there's the internet or Autoweek.

Slicks
09-15-2004, 12:53 PM
How is it? Car and Driver and Motor Trend obveously have better drivers, who get better times. You can never take road and tracks times seriously there not consistant, and slower than any other magazine.

Ferrari Tifosi
09-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Road and Track, for the reason's stated already by BMW325, also I like there racing coverage. Motor Trend and Car and Driver are too generic, especially Motor Trend where it seems that every issue they are comparing 3 more trucks or SUVs.

Egg Nog
09-15-2004, 05:28 PM
EVO easily beats those three magazine.

Motor Trend and Car and Driver are usually clogged with trucks and SUVs, etc. Road and Track is pretty good, especially for the money.

The biggest problem with all three of these magazines (and unlike EVO) is that they never write articles very objectively. EVO is always willing to give the real ups and downs of every vehicle they test, and are appropriately critical. In Road and Track especially, every test drive article sounds like it's been written by the respective company's marketing department.

Viper007
09-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Road and Track because im tired of seeing trucks being compared in MT and C&D sometimes bores me. As for the Crown Jewels article in R&T comparing the Enzo, CGT, and SLR was excellent.

PsychoChimp22
09-21-2004, 11:50 AM
I perfer motor trend, but i also buy car and driver. There pretty close

PsychoChimp22
09-21-2004, 11:51 AM
BTW ive never read RT

Sweeney921
09-22-2004, 06:16 PM
How is it? Car and Driver and Motor Trend obveously have better drivers, who get better times. You can never take road and tracks times seriously there not consistant, and slower than any other magazine.
Their times can't be consistent, because they never drive the same car more than once!!!!!

Road and Track because im tired of seeing trucks being compared in MT and C&D sometimes bores me. As for the Crown Jewels article in R&T comparing the Enzo, CGT, and SLR was excellent.
that was an excellent story! they chose the perfect comparison, because everyone's been comparing those 3 cars ever since the SLR came out.

Road & Track gets my vote, because I'm also tired of the trucks

Slicks
09-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Their times can't be consistent, because they never drive the same car more than once!!!!!

No, they just have shitty drivers...

andy.muc
09-23-2004, 01:35 AM

Hmm Auto Motor Sport shows too many boring cars...
I'm not very interessted in family cars like a Mercedes Vaneo
or tests like the Golf 1,4 vs. Seat Ibiza 1,4 etc...

The car magazine "Sport Auto" is produced by the same publisher just with the focus on sport cars!
That's one german car mag i would recommend.

Sweeney921
09-23-2004, 05:56 AM
No, they just have shitty drivers...
tell me why their times should be consistent. please.

their times will never be consistent, because different cars get different times!

Slicks
09-23-2004, 07:19 AM
tell me why their times should be consistent. please.

their times will never be consistent, because different cars get different times!
I would think that it would be ok if their times were consistant with other magazines times. A 0-60 in 1 second over other magazines times isnt exactly accurate. (just an example)

Matra et Alpine
09-23-2004, 04:54 PM
Times will never be consistent between magazines for as long as they are seeking to increase circulation and profit. A mag sell more if it can claim a higher speed or lower time on its front page headline. Some mags are renowned for quoting rolling start times etc. Not sure which of the camps the varioius US mags fall in to , but worth remembering that there can be ulterior motive for always being faster than other tests :(