PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear Versus 5th Gear which is better

charged
09-16-2004, 05:44 AM
What the better TV show I think 5th gear is ,not as self righteous and biased as Top Gear and Tiff could literally drive rings around That big dumb presumtuous Clarkson he couldnt drive a nail into a peice of woodIn 5th gear if a pommy car is a complete stiker thats what they call it and the Girl who is also a roadtester her accent drive ma a CRAZY.I think Top Gear is subsidized by the British Motor Industry.

R34GTR
09-16-2004, 06:20 AM
It's Funded By the BBC (topgear).But I prefer topgear it's more relaxed and it has a studio and BTW Topgear has the stig you forgot to compare him to Tiff,But you make it sound like Tiff and Jeremy are Enemy's this is in no way true. that's my $0.02

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2004, 08:08 AM
What the better TV show I think 5th gear is ,not as self righteous and biased as Top Gear and Tiff could literally drive rings around That big dumb presumtuous Clarkson he couldnt drive a nail into a peice of woodIn 5th gear if a pommy car is a complete stiker thats what they call it and the Girl who is also a roadtester her accent drive ma a CRAZY.I think Top Gear is subsidized by the British Motor Industry.
WHAT British Motor Industry :)

But it shoulnd't be a surprise that the British car makers produce cars that the British public like.
Same in France, same in the US :) the world over. It's harder to make a car for somebody else !!!

Already pointed out comparing Clarkson and Needel is wrong. Stig should be.

Having seen Tiff over the years on track, he's not great. He was a resonably good FF driver but never really managed greatness in F3 or his short foray into F1. Worse, his BTCC was a joke and he's best remembered for having pushed Mansell into the wall at Donnington !!!! He now gets a little bit carried away with his own importance and club racers hope and pray they don't want a 'feature' on their series for 5th gear. Tiff gets kitted otu and causes carnage on the grid and in the races. They don't appreciate it as he ends up slowing down leaders while he's being lapped and for tapping folks who are racing. He's suffereing from Clarkson-syndrome himslef - carried away with his own self-importance :)

and forgot, Tom Ford, is a buffoon and a clown that makes Clarkson at his worst sound like Stirling Moss :)http://www.five.tv/media/image/2427625.jpg

But then there's VBH - no contest .... 5th Gear.
But I'll watch Top Gear for the cars :)

carguy
09-16-2004, 09:02 AM
Top Gear is the best dont care what u say its the best because on fith gear there is just car reviews but on topgear there are fun things like blowing up caravans an the stig an star in a reasonably priced car! as well as car reviews not forgetting the cool wall!

Mustang
09-16-2004, 09:07 AM
I love both programs, Top gear is great and 5th gear is great :p

i cant choose i think to top gear is funnier but 5th gear seems more informative on some issues.

Tiff is a great driver but so is the stig :)

@ Matra
Tom ford wasnt in the last series so i dont think you need to bring him into this :p

Matra et Alpine
09-16-2004, 09:10 AM
@ Matra
Tom ford wasnt in the last series so i dont think you need to bring him into this :p
Thanks, Mustang, I'll maybe start looking out to watch it again.
I just found him immensely irritiating, so much it overpowered my lust for VBH :)

cuntukimushroom
09-16-2004, 09:40 AM
i dont know i like them both the same

Sharpie
09-16-2004, 03:24 PM

Who cares, get of the couch you lazy pricks. :D

SIMPLETON
09-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Top Gear is the best dont care what u say its the best because on fith gear there is just car reviews but on topgear there are fun things like blowing up caravans an the stig an star in a reasonably priced car! as well as car reviews not forgetting the cool wall!
Have you seen the episode where they crach the Volvo and BMW. And I thought Volvos were safe

To tell you the truth Ive never even seen Top Gear since they dont show it in the U.S. (or atleast on my teli'). And all the top gear vids you people post take forever to load on my PC. So, i guess my favorite is 5th gear

dashers
09-16-2004, 04:27 PM
top gear has the influence and the viewing numbers to get good cars,but i prefer the style of 5th gear,i dont like all the faffing around in the studio they do in top gear,the stupid talky bits that are meant to sound spontaneous but imo just sound awkward
richard hammond is cool though,i like him,even if he does suck up to jeremy

on another note,lots of ppl here seem to konw about top gear and 5th gear which are british programs,yet i dont konw about any prgrams from overseas,are there ones(there must be)and are they any good?

kawasakikr1
12-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Worse, his BTCC was a joke and he's best remembered for having pushed Mansell into the wall at Donnington !!!!

I remember Mansell losing it before the Old Hairpin and going over the grass cutting the corner, when he came back on the track he was almost sideways in front on Tiff giving him nowhere to go but hit him!! Hardly Tiffs fault!!

kingofthering
12-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Tiff was later quoted to say "If I'd know he'd blame me, I'd have accelerated into him"

But I've seen him race at that 360 Challenge race on Google Video,he kept it clean.

I like Top Gear. It's funnier.

h00t_h00t
12-19-2006, 05:14 PM
The 360 Challenge is just abit of fun for millionaires, hardly competitive like any other GT racing is.

For an updated decision Top Gear still wins even though it hasn't been on all year because Fifth Gear have introduced us to Tim "punch me" Lovejoy who readily admits he knows nothing about cars and then it turns out he's scared to drive them quickly.

Tom Ford was the best presenter of the lot (and there is alot of them this series)

Zytek_Fan
12-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Top Gear ftw!!!

2ndclasscitizen
12-19-2006, 07:32 PM
For an updated decision Top Gear still wins even though it hasn't been on all year because Fifth Gear have introduced us to Tim "punch me" Lovejoy who readily admits he knows nothing about cars and then it turns out he's scared to drive them quickly.God that guy's a tool.

Cyco
12-19-2006, 09:22 PM
If the British don't hurry up and lynch Lovejoy for ruining 5th Gear I'm heading to the stupid cafe set to do it myself when I'm over there.

adrenaline
12-20-2006, 12:46 AM
I enjoy watching Top Gear more. It's so much more entertaining. Although I would trust 5th Gear's reviews over Top Gear's.

Ingolstadt
12-20-2006, 01:05 AM
I knew 5th Gear is more serious and perhaps informative, but its like every other motoring shows out there. The funny thing bout Top Gear, is that a duel between Korean makes are more interesting to watch than 5th Gear having Lambo VS Ferrari ..... I always doze off watching 5th Gear.

torque55
12-20-2006, 09:41 AM
I enjoy watching Top Gear more. It's so much more entertaining. Although I would trust 5th Gear's reviews over Top Gear's.
agree

plus top gear uses innovative ideas to inform us about cars, also 5th gear is more technical and tiff haas been repeating him self ever since he was on top gear.

Sledgehammer
12-20-2006, 10:02 AM
I like top gear better because of several reasons. The first is that the interation between the three hosts is pretty hilarious. Second, top gear is open to more ideas (converting a car into a boat, building a kit car against the clock...) and you also get a wider assortment of tested cars. Hell they even did a full review on people carriers (minivans) and made it funny. I also like their "buy a cheap automobile and test it" skits. And of course, the cars like ccx and zonda F are kick ass to see pushed hard.

kigango123
12-20-2006, 12:50 PM
i prefer top gear, fifth gear seems abit senile

carsnut
12-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Top Gear all the way :D

h00t_h00t
12-20-2006, 05:32 PM
I would trust 5th Gear's reviews over Top Gear's.
Why, Top Gear doesn't have advertisers to keep happy and clarkson never totally disagrees with the magazine. 5th Gear need to be nice about cars because the manufacturers can afford to ignore them entirely, whereas refusing to let Top Gear review your car is certain death (look what happened to the Rover CityRover)

Sykoslocos
02-25-2008, 02:01 PM
well theres a few reasons i like top gear better than fifth gear

1. the cameras used and the directing are of a much higher quality (it seems) than 5th as some shots are just jawdropping (remember the beach episode with porsche/bmw/jag) whereas 5th just seems plain and like normal tele. (yeah they use filters in topgear, so? it works) This for me is the most important part.

2. the chemistry between Clarkson, hammond and May is much better than 5th where i dont feel anything, and what is with that cafe? well? studio with audience is much better (especially if they take the piss with some of the audience members. i hate tiff btw. anyone notice he now wears the same "ensemble" as Jeremy?

3. funny is better than informative. 5th would be better as a magazine where you can choose not to read a 10 minute bit about road quality in britain.. in top gear hardly ever anything i dont wish to see.

4. 5th gear doesnt know what humor is. they hardly ever make ANY jokes, im always surprised if i chuckle, while at topgear i actually laugh out loud Alot.

5. the way they drive, treat and test cars in topgear is much much more interesting than in fifth gear. hello im not a grandpa, do something interesting 5th. the stig rules, clarkson car abusing rules. (one thing in 5th gear annoyed me greatly when tiff drove the Veyron and the whole show they were saying tiff is gonna drive the veyron like never seen before, what does he do? go on about how good the traction control is and didnt do Anything interesting in the car. The long trek jeremy drove might have not shown any extravagant driving but was a whole lot more interesting. did i mention the stig rules?

always heavily dissapointed in 5th gear. always heavily impressed with topgear

thats totally just my opinion though. i think vroom vroom is better than 5th lol and thats an insult

Chingy42007
02-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Top Gear FTW. However, Clarkson's opinions dominate his reviews, and in the end you completely agree with him. He has this quality that makes even the most stubborn person reconsider their verdict. He's influential, I'll give him that. 5th Gear is much more serious, cut-to-the-chase and informative than Top Gear, and gives much better quality reviews, I reckon.

But I'd rather watch an hour of 3 middle-aged blokes just cocking around with beeg, very expensive cars than watch an hour of car reviews. Top Gear makes for much more entertaining television than 5th Gear. And it's also quite funny how they take the mickey out of 5th Gear a lot, too.

NSXType-R
02-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Old thread, but I'd choose Top Gear for obvious reasons.

However, I haven't watched many episodes of 5th Gear, so I wouldn't really know much about that show.

Sykoslocos
02-25-2008, 05:26 PM
LMAO!! im terribly sorry for digging up this WAY old thread lmao.

I was watching 5th gear and thought "i wonder if there are any 5th VS TG threads of this" Lol, top of the google list (blame google for everything)

Cotterik
02-25-2008, 05:30 PM
i think fifth gear is suited towards the older car fanbase, its more serious and informative. Their reviews tend to be more thorough and suited to people who actually need help buying cars. Whereas top gear, atleast in recent series, has become more of an entertainment/car show. its more comedy based now and with its celeb interviews and funny documentarys its obviously aimed at a younger audience. so both serve a different purpose now, but I'll always say top gear. jeremy clarkson is one of the best guys on TV. Hammond and May are brilliant as a pair by his side. The good thing is, they all still know what they're talking about through all the comedy.

MadMax13
02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Top Gear is FAAAR better, mainly because i actually gain some insight into the pros and cons of the car while Fifth Gear just kind of promotes how great the car is...

kigango123
02-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Top Gear is FAAAR better, mainly because i actually gain some insight into the pros and cons of the car while Fifth Gear just kind of promotes how great the car is...

Plus alot of the show is to do with hot hatches, hybrids and other generally mild stuff, most of which applies only to a small target audience within UK and an almost non-existant international audience.

kingofthering
02-25-2008, 06:04 PM

Not to mention Tiff Needel's unbearable annoying-ness.

NSXType-R
02-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Not to mention Tiff Needel's unbearable annoying-ness.

He's just weird. I don't know, something is wrong with the way he speaks. His presenting is alright though.

I've seen bits and pieces of 5th Gear on Youtube, just not whole episodes.

MadMax13
02-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Top Gear is on in a shitload of countries except, of course, the US, which will probably make a half assed knockoff. The hosts of Top Gear just arent afraid to say that the "flappy paddle gearbox" is shit, the ride is like sitting on an old sofa, etc., etc., etc....

Sykoslocos
02-25-2008, 07:19 PM
jeremy: this car is really great, one of the best in its class
hammond: so would you buy it?
jeremy: no

classic

(fifth gear:this car is really great, now spend money in our competition that your not gonna win)

jediali
02-26-2008, 01:38 AM
5th gear will always lose with gravel voice VBH

Coventrysucks
02-26-2008, 01:55 PM
fifth gear is more informative... more thorough...

Not really.

According to Tiff; the new RS6 has a Lamborghini engine, but Audi says it doesn't.

According to Tom; Driving into trees is bad.

I knew little more after the programme than I did before, aside from that the Audi's engine could be described in such a baffling & contradictory way by a "professional journalist".

At best I would describe 5th Gear as "a waste of everyone's time".

If you want entertainment; Top Gear.
If you want "fact" in video format; Autocar.

Waugh-terfall
02-26-2008, 02:27 PM
No matter how much I like Fifth Gear, V B-H, Nedell, Ford, Plato & Bentley, it IS just a cheap copy of Top Gear, at least it was I think 2-series' ago.

Top Gear is by far the superior motoring show, and is much more entertaining too. Plus I live near the studios... :D

Street_Dreamer
02-27-2008, 10:16 AM
If you want entertainment; Top Gear.
If you want "fact" in video format; Autocar.
Hold on, you're promoting Autocar?! :eek:
I would have picked Top Gear over 5th Gear anyday this time last year, but as Top Gear got slowly less car-orientated, 5th Gear got better. Also, at least the presenters can drive (3 racing drivers) and this is from a life-long Top Gear fan (i used to watch the old stuff, though i'm too young to remember presenters before the Wilson/Clarky/Needles/VBH era).
I still like Top Gear and believe if they tested more cars it'd be brilliant again, which is what Clarkson wants to do, he's apparently very annoyed at the fact cars have taken a back seat. For this reason, I'm looking forward to the next series.

Chris Harris is brilliant for Autocar, though, they should do proper shows over the internet purely for car enthusiasts like us.

Coventrysucks
02-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Hold on, you're promoting Autocar?! :eek:

Why not?

The only problem I have with Autocar is that in order to fill a magazine every week they usually resort to putting quite a lot of "news" that is actually "bollocks" in.

Yada, yada, new Focus Cosworth, blah, blah, Jaguar F-type, new F1, rinse, repeat...

but as Top Gear got slowly less car-orientated, 5th Gear got better.

Top Gear is not "less car orientated" - it is not as if they do cookery and gardening. It has fewer plain reviews, and is better for it.

Instead they do things that you won't find elsewhere - how many people fill a car full of water and drive about in it to see how well built it was, or investigate whether a VW Camper will float, or whether a Lotus is better than a Helicopter gunship?

Why do all car programmes have to be reviews?

Why can there not be a light-hearted, entertaining programme about people who like cars messing about with cars?

5th Gear already exists, we don't need another.

As for 5th Gear "improving" - it isn't difficult when you start with a "30 min" (15 mins of adverts/coming up/competition/coming up after the adverts is a competition...) and one of the worst TV presenters known to mankind. And Tim Lovejoy, but they got rid of him. Their idea of an interesting programme was to ask a cricketer which VW they liked. Riveting.

Also, at least the presenters can drive (3 racing drivers)

So? They can drive but can they present?

Reviewing cars is not about how fast the reviewer could lap, but translating the experience to the viewer.

I don't see how repeatedly crashing in the BTCC makes Needel or Plato any better at knowing what understeer is than any other professional automotive journalist.

Roy Visser
02-28-2008, 03:04 AM
i really love Top Gear, it's just a perfect show with the combination of cars and lots of humor. With perfect camerawork, and obvious chemistry between all the cast members, it just works as a show.

i watch Fifth gear too, but its just different, feels less solid imo. I do like all the presenters, Plato, VBH, Needell and both weird looking fella's, but its just not on the same level as Top Gear

VBH's laughter is infectious though, i love her :D

jakedee010
02-09-2009, 01:16 PM
I think you are a **** . Fith Gear is boring as ****. Top Gear is funny and they are more appeling then being overly sirios! :p

Quickly writen

Kooper
02-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Quickly writen = badly read

TonyG
02-24-2009, 12:46 AM
VBH's laughter is infectious though, i love her :D

Fifth gear is a car show while Top Gear is just an entertainment show that features cars

5TH gear for me

dillinger_j
09-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Without any doubt i can say Top Gear :)
I'd like to share this site with you since i am a big Top Gear fan: dodgy link with ads and "sexy russion girlfriend" pop-ups --- NO THANKS/ (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/)
All Top Gear episodes on that site :)