PDA

View Full Version : Rep! Good Or Bad!

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-17-2004, 10:58 AM
OK, how about a vote! All those who want it, vote now. All those who don't, vote now. This might help the decision! :eek:

baddabang
09-17-2004, 11:47 AM
This isnt going to prove anything. even if it turns out no, rep is still going to stay.

Matt
09-17-2004, 11:51 AM
This isnt going to prove anything. even if it turns out no, rep is still going to stay.

Look next to your name.

Benz_Boy_1
09-17-2004, 11:54 AM
lol, what matts trying to say, NO REP MATEY

taz_rocks_miami
09-17-2004, 11:55 AM
I'd like to see it stay, but if it doesn't...oh well.

baddabang
09-17-2004, 11:55 AM
lol, what matts trying to say, NO REP MATEY

Yeah I just noticed it :o

blackcat77
09-17-2004, 12:01 PM
To me, it's meaningless. If someone's a troll, they can be dealt with. If they aren't, well, forums aren't meant to be like elections for the prom queen. If all that a person says is the equivalent of a smiley emoticon, it might give him a good rep but it makes for mighty dull conversation.

cuntukimushroom
09-17-2004, 12:07 PM
i dont know if rep should stay or leave

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-17-2004, 12:30 PM
I have to say that I reckon rep should stay, because it's nice to know if you've been given one. It also is the prize for a lot of competitions, isn't it? Now, in "Guess That Car's Rims!" (my fave one!!!), I'll only get acknowledgment, instead of my lil number growing slowly... lol! Now everyone who has "Give me rep" in their signatures, have to change it.

Karrmann
09-17-2004, 12:39 PM
I want rep! (or else) I want rep! (or else) :D :D :D

Benz_Boy_1
09-17-2004, 12:54 PM
8-5, but not that itll change the mods' decisions, i hope it does tho, its nice to know people respect ur messages with a litle +1

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Yea, thats wot I mean! And the competition bonuses...

Mustang
09-17-2004, 01:19 PM
id like to see it kept but i dont think that it would be a great loss if it didnt stay

taz_rocks_miami
09-17-2004, 01:48 PM

I thought becoming a mod was more important to you than rep Karrmann??

Mustang
09-17-2004, 01:50 PM

... or else youll go ?

Matt
09-17-2004, 01:50 PM
... or else youll go ?

Best argument yet to get rid of rep.

Mustang
09-17-2004, 01:52 PM
Best argument yet to get rid of rep.

jesus christ man that was a dam fast post, i literally just got off the thread and youd replied :p

dont you think thats a bit harsh on karrmann old chap ;) :p

Matt
09-17-2004, 01:58 PM
jesus christ man that was a dam fast post, i literally just got off the thread and youd replied :p

dont you think thats a bit harsh on karrmann old chap ;) :p

Don't call me old. :)

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-17-2004, 02:05 PM
yea i mean he is only 89 yrs old

Matt
09-17-2004, 02:09 PM
yea i mean he is only 89 yrs old

I'll kick you with my orthopedic shoes!

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-17-2004, 02:26 PM
Or run me over on ur Zimmer frame, Grandpa...

Esperante
09-17-2004, 02:32 PM
OH NO! I loved the rep system! It let me know if people liked or disliked my posts, and what i did to make them laugh, cry, etc... That's too bad :(

foto_choppa
09-17-2004, 02:51 PM
... or else youll go ?
oh please god no! lol

KEEP THE REP!

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-17-2004, 03:01 PM
yep, that's the spirit guys!

GTR Dreamer
09-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Stay, Stay, Stay, Stay

GTR Dreamer
09-17-2004, 03:20 PM
We Worked Hard For Our Rep!!!!!!!

werty
09-17-2004, 03:28 PM
We Worked Hard For Our Rep!!!!!!!
exactly... its not fair to take it away..i really liked the rep system...sure it was a small competition, but it was fun for everyone

i plan on leaving ucp if its taken away for good, ucp is was the perfect car site...with cool options..like rep...taking it away makes ucp boring for me now

anyways get back to me when u can if rep is staying or is gone forever, i will leave if its taken away

Mustang
09-17-2004, 03:37 PM
wOW...

taz_rocks_miami
09-17-2004, 04:31 PM
exactly... its not fair to take it away..i really liked the rep system...sure it was a small competition, but it was fun for everyone

i plan on leaving ucp if its taken away for good, ucp is was the perfect car site...with cool options..like rep...taking it away makes ucp boring for me now

anyways get back to me when u can if rep is staying or is gone forever, i will leave if its taken away

I understand you earned the rep you had Werty, and I appreciate the times you gave me rep, but is it so important that you'd really leave UCP? If decide to stay or leave will only depend on the quality of it's members. Members like you make it worth staying for me. Not the rep.

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 04:59 PM
If you guys feel like UCP has changed for the worst because you don't get some silly number that says 106 people liked you, then there must be something wrong.

I voted to keep it out. I've noticed the people who get a lot of rep (Save for MetA) have complained loudly. You guys are still valued, it's just that you need to work on post quality, rather than just expect rep for posting good pics (Good as they are)

In the end, if their was a better alternative, would you guys take it over Rep?

Egg Nog
09-17-2004, 05:04 PM
I say keep it out as well, as I always have before, and always will. Seriously, it's a pretty trivial system - it has absolutely nothing to do with the entire reason any of us came here in the first place.

IB4R: I am noticing too that many of us who voted against are fairly old members, who remember what UCP was like before the system was implemented. (Percentage-wise, it looks like people who voted no tend to be older members than those who voted yes) :)

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 05:07 PM
I guess perhaps they feel they have no heritage on the site, and thus need to prove themselves, Rep was a way they could do that.

And an excellent point on how this is not why we came to UCP.

werty
09-17-2004, 05:21 PM
its not why i came here to ucp, but to tell you the truth it made ucp more fun

and guessing on what has been said here by the "moderators", i assume its not coming back... so neither am i, im sorry to those of you who i became friends with on the site, i will miss hanging out with you

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 05:46 PM
WERTY, if rep was the only thing keeping you here, sorry to see you go.

Good luck on future journeys.

whiteballz
09-17-2004, 05:51 PM
morning werty, i think your a tosser!

j/k, stay man. dont make me look for enzo pics!!! (:D)

ohwell yet another of UCP's best gone

Egg Nog
09-17-2004, 06:03 PM
and guessing on what has been said here by the "moderators", i assume its not coming back... so neither am i, im sorry to those of you who i became friends with on the site, i will miss hanging out with you

Definitely not! :)

If you could only see how much I argued against rep over the last few months, you'd realise that we didn't really have to much changing power :) We're only here to delete spam, etc ;)

My guess is that the system will return (I consider myself to be a pessimist!) eventually, after we give it a break for a while to see how it goes. I'm hoping, however, that everyone will begin to realise how needless and trivial the reputation system was.

Esperante
09-17-2004, 06:03 PM
well, I can tell you I would spend a lot more time away from here if rep is gone :(

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 06:04 PM
The reputation system is not entirely gone, merely rested. as a said, if their was an alternative, would you take it?

werty
09-17-2004, 06:12 PM
The reputation system is not entirely gone, merely rested. as a said, if their was an alternative, would you take it?
what alternative...i cant think of any :confused:

werty
09-17-2004, 06:13 PM
that everyone will begin to realise how needless and trivial the reputation system was.
if it was so needless then why did it bother you so much, why dont you want it here, its like the misc forums, they have nothing to do with cars, but it makes ucp fun

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 06:16 PM
<Kyles Mom Voice> BECAUSE IT'S EVIL!!!!!!<Kyles Mom Voice/>

we don't like what it does to members, and obviously your so not happy with it being around you'd prefer to leave.

And there are a few options i'm weighing up in my head, at least, that may be able to replace Rep. I'll make sure if one is put in place, you'll be where you were.

werty
09-17-2004, 06:18 PM
<Kyles Mom Voice> BECAUSE IT'S EVIL!!!!!!<Kyles Mom Voice/>

we don't like what it does to members, and obviously your so not happy with it being around you'd prefer to leave.

And there are a few options i'm weighing up in my head, at least, that may be able to replace Rep. I'll make sure if one is put in place, you'll be where you were.
why replace an already good and working rep system :confused:

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 06:19 PM
because it doesn't work, people are being censored by fear of losing rep.

Give it some time, maybe things will work out better. If not, Rep will make a comeback, i'm pretty sure.

Egg Nog
09-17-2004, 06:22 PM
if it was so needless then why did it bother you so much, why dont you want it here, its like the misc forums, they have nothing to do with cars, but it makes ucp fun

The UCP misc forum is a part of discussion, which is the entire point of forums to begin with. If we didn't need it, it wouldn't be there. This same neccesity principle applies to my view on rep. Also, if every discussion on UCP was about cars, we wouldn't know each other nearly as well as we do!

Reputation points bothered me because they were needless.

I know that a lot of people miss their points, but c'mon, is it really worth it? You had over 100, mostly from posting photos. Do you miss them? I had 145 points, and I don't miss a single one of them. Their irrelevence should be the cause of their demise.

werty
09-17-2004, 06:24 PM
because it doesn't work, people are being censored by fear of losing rep.

Give it some time, maybe things will work out better. If not, Rep will make a comeback, i'm pretty sure.
censored by rep, are you kidding me, censored on this site for fear of rep loss is a good thing!!!

if people said what they truly feel about situations, with no fear of losing anything, then your asking for it

people will start to post rude things here and all u can do is bann them, they will always find a way back, its so easy

whiteballz
09-17-2004, 06:26 PM
to me they were an amusing part to the forums, not nessicary, but definately good to have around. i enjoyed the feeling of good rep, and i think it shows instantly who you need to respect.

werty
09-17-2004, 06:26 PM
I know that a lot of people miss their points, but c'mon, is it really worth it? You had over 100, mostly from posting photos. .

ITS REALLY WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe not to you, then take your rep away dont take away the entire sites and every memebers rep, they earned it fair and square, i want it back!!!! and im not alone, look at the freaking poll!!!!!!!!!!!

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 06:27 PM
And you guys didn't have to clean up the mess when people felt they had been unfairly repped.

I'll give you an example.

With thanks to Challenger, of course.

hey m8,
i jus read that thread on rep .
i recently got a minus rep for putting a bottle of whisky on the thread called CHEERS.
i sent a PM to MISHO and he sed to ask a moderator. i asked NOONE but i got no reply
this has happend before just wen i got to 20rep
its annoying and i wos wondering if you could tell me hew gave me the -rep point
thanks,
challenger

This went on until i threatened a ban when he wouldn's stop badgering me. it's these types of things (People getting neg reps from anonymous sources, not knowing who to retaliate against) that were bringing the forums down.

Egg Nog
09-17-2004, 06:33 PM
I've received quite a few PMs asking me to look up people who had given people -1s for absolutely no reason at all, without leaving their name...

By the way, you can really tell that you're in this debate for the sake of the public good ;)

they earned it fair and square, i want it back!!!!

werty
09-17-2004, 06:33 PM
well then make it so it always shows who gave the rep or neg rep, dont take away everyones rep just becuase you were bugged by somebody

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Heres the problem.

If we made it a requirement you had to stick your name in your rep giving, it would be a lot easier.

But then the anonymity is gone, and we'd all be afraid to speak out.

it's too much to expect us to help you retaliate against those who you percieve to have wronged you, cop it on the chin and deal with it.

The problem, werty, is that this is not an exceptional case, i've had about 6 or 7 or these to deal with, and i'm only the Mod people go to when they don't get their way with another, kind of like asking your mother after you father says no.

god knows how many someone like Wouter or Matra have had.

Egg Nog
09-17-2004, 06:35 PM
well then make it so it always shows who gave the rep or neg rep, dont take away everyones rep just becuase you were bugged by somebody

Again, as I said before, I had absolutely no part in removing the system, other than presenting the same arguments that I'm making now, and having people been persuaded to do so. Hell, I don't even know if it's my arguments that helped catalyze the whole process. The moderators have zero control over the backbone of the UCP forums.

werty
09-17-2004, 06:38 PM
But then the anonymity is gone, and we'd all be afraid to speak out.

well i am certainly not afraid, i neg repped you in front of everybody

then take away the neg rep function, and only allow mods or wouter to give neg rep, its that not reasonable :confused:

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 06:43 PM
No, because then we'll be bombarded with people asking us to neg-rep other users.

And if we give it to some of our members, then they'll abuse it.

Best just to let the issue simmer down, and see how well you guys can live without rep. It's not the end of the world, it was merely a distraction from the forums.

QuattroMan
09-17-2004, 06:43 PM
I would like to know someone's credibility so yes..

Egg Nog
09-17-2004, 06:47 PM
Nice signature dude, but seriously, c'mon.

What was the reputation system initially for? To show new users who the more helpful, trustworthy and important members on the site were.

A massive portion of your reputation came from posting hundreds of Enzo pictures, most of the time without credit. I hate to be so obviously anal about this, but do you think that you fully deserved to be where you were because of this? Does this make you one of UCP's more helpful and prominent members, more so than NoOne, more so than Misho, more so than IB4R, etc? The sheer imbalance and frailties of the system are one of the reasons why it is so needless.

After saying "they earned it fair and square, i want it back!!!!", and judging by your signature, I'd guess that your reason for wanting the system back is because you want your reputation points back.

Sorry, dude. Grow up. They weren't worth anything. I hate to be an ass, I really do, and I rarely am, but this is just too much...

Karrmann
09-17-2004, 06:55 PM
see my signiature add on Egg Nog?

Egg Nog
09-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Two more things:

1. I'm actually very surprised to see that around 1/3 of users have voted against at this point. I thought I was much more alone than that :)

2. I'm off to a party. :D I look forward to seeing this thread tomorrow, and continuing the debate with all of you.

Thanks a lot for your feedback so far UCP'ers! Whether or not the system stays or goes, your responses will help us make a more informed decision and to eventually make the forums a better place.

-Shawn

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Have fun Eggy, and remember guys, this is not the be all and end all decision, it depends on whats good for you guys and whats best for the forums.

QuattroMan
09-17-2004, 07:25 PM
you guys should put rep back

GTR Dreamer
09-17-2004, 07:43 PM
im with werty and esperante.
if rep goes for good then ill
a) be spending alot less time here
or
b)leave.
honestly, ucp is geting boring!

laxplayer98
09-17-2004, 07:45 PM
im with werty and esperante.
if rep goes for good then ill
a) be spending alot less time here
or
b)leave.
honestly, ucp is geting boring!
agreed

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 07:46 PM
It's as boring as you guys make it. We do our best to perk things up here, and to be honest you guys don't help too much.

Do as you will, we can't stop you leaving, you will be missed, however.

laxplayer98
09-17-2004, 07:50 PM
just bring rep back and you win't have to miss us

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 07:52 PM
It's not that simple.

You guys haven't even given it a chance.

and your already threatening a mass walkout.

do what you will.

GTR Dreamer
09-17-2004, 08:06 PM
yes it is that simple, the rep was working great, and if anyone keeps pestering the mods about getting picked on, then they will just have to get over it, not come and cry to the mods!

Matt
09-17-2004, 08:11 PM
Can someone seriously explain what was so wonderful about rep?

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 08:15 PM
IT'S STILL NOT THAT SIMPLE.

We still have to clean up the mess Rep makes, and you guys don't seem to be understanding this. We have to put up with people PM'ing us and begging for rep and the like.

You haven't even tried life without rep. Deal with it and make the most of it.

GTR Dreamer
09-17-2004, 08:25 PM
whateva...ill give it 5 days

laxplayer98
09-17-2004, 08:26 PM
whateva...ill give it 5 days
ill give it 3

r1ckst4
09-17-2004, 08:32 PM
wots the point of making this poll? the rep system has been removed and as much as i liked the rep system, i dont think the moderators r goin to bring the system back...

i earned my 44 rep points and now its all gone... :(

taz_rocks_miami
09-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Can someone seriously explain what was so wonderful about rep?

I personally don't care if rep comes back or not, I had 41 rep points. When I joined UCP I didn't even know that rep existed. So, what's wonderfull about it?? I seems to me that it gives some members something to shoot for. A scence of accomplishment if you will.

Maybe a possible solution would be to eliminate the possibility to neg rep someone, that way people won't feel censored by the fear of losing rep. Then what will stop people from posting unapropriate things? Ban them for a few days, that should stop that behaviour, in most cases anyway. This way, we can use rep to reward or acknowledge good post, and some folks have something to shoot for again, just my 2 cents.

r1ckst4
09-17-2004, 08:39 PM
We still have to clean up the mess Rep makes, and you guys don't seem to be understanding this. We have to put up with people PM'ing us and begging for rep and the like.
y didnt u guys create a system so members cant PM moderators directly? there for u guys dont hav to put up wit stupid PM messages? u guys ever think of dat? :confused:

NoOne
09-17-2004, 08:41 PM
I find it slightly disturbing that members are wanting to leave if the little green(or red) boxes with the trivial number beside it is not re-instated. You would have thought that accumulated points could have been "cashed in" for prizes or something. :)

I never had use for the system, I was not impressed with the intended results it was supposed to bring, that being quality posts and not just quantity posts. Thoses of you who have been a member of UCP may know that problem members such as guyt_x, r34_296kw, chevysucks, hotflank, motormaniac, and motorhead, were all dealt with before the rep system, some of them have returned with a new improved attitude ready to contribute to the forums as opposed to bringing them down with conduct, content and other inappropriate postings.

The rep point system may have worked better if it wasn't abused so much, I'm talking about adding rep between groups of friends just for the sake of boosting each others rating, boosting rep for resizing pics, but also neg repping for voicing an opinion you didn't agree with (opinions are just that, not subjective), I was neg repped for having an ugly avatar(which I thought was hilarious), some members even were repeatedly neg repped because they spoke out against one member and the "gang mentality" came out.

The rep system did have some merit, it did cut down on a lot of the "LOL", "hell yeah!" type posts .... for a while, but members who are inclined to such "post-whoring" will continue to do so, until they get a few PM's warning against and eventually a 1 day ban, etc.

The bottom line for me, is that we have many quality posters who enjoy contributing and not for the sake of gaining points for it.

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 08:44 PM
Why should we have to?

It should be up to the users to make sure that their own conduct is appropriate, and if need be, cop a Neg Rep on the chin for their opinion. It should not always be up to us to find the solutions.

I am a fan of the No Neg Rep part of your thinking, Taz, but when this happens, you never know when your doing wrong, until it's too late.

I think i understand why people are so pissed off about this:they need a reward for posting here. If thats the case then why did you bothere in the first place. This is a place to talk about cars and share opinions, regardless of the reward you get out of it.

taz_rocks_miami
09-17-2004, 09:02 PM
I am a fan of the No Neg Rep part of your thinking, Taz, but when this happens, you never know when your doing wrong, until it's too late.

You just gave me an idea!:) Instaid of neg repping, a "you've been recomemded for a ban" thingy. If a member is doing something wrong, any other member can click on the ban recomended botton. What happenes then? The person who gets recomemded for a ban, gets an automated meesege warning him or her and all the mods get an automated messege with a link to the offensive post, then if one of the mods agrees with the proposed ban, they can implement it right away if they so choose. What would keep people from abusing this? If they do, they are the ones that get banned.

This way the people who care about rep can get it back. I'm sorry if I'm posting a lot on the subject, but I've come to care about UCP and want to contribute to it's on going succes.

Rockefella
09-17-2004, 09:10 PM
I'll give it two weeks.... I may be gone for good too.

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Oh how i can imagine that will be exploited.

I liked the idea about having only Mod's can Neg-Rep, but maybe when someone asks for another person to be neg-repped, they should be put under investigation too!

What do you think?

taz_rocks_miami
09-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Oh how i can imagine that will be exploited.

I liked the idea about having only Mod's can Neg-Rep, but maybe when someone asks for another person to be neg-repped, they should be put under investigation too!

What do you think?

That's my idea, you see, when you mods get the recomendation for ban notice it will have a link to the post that's supposed to be offensive. Let's say it isn't offensive in any way and the person who recomemded the ban just didn't like it becuase the poster disagreed with him or something to that effect. Then, it would be the member who recomended the ban that would get banned for abusing the feature. Am I making sence here?

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Perfect Sense.

But how to implement it?

taz_rocks_miami
09-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Perfect Sense.

But how to implement it?

I guess the first step would be to talk to Wouter and the other mods about it, I sure Wouter could implement it.

werty
09-17-2004, 09:58 PM
this thread is getting more and more ridiculous for excuses on why the rep system wasnt working well....It WAS!

If you cant handle being a moderator, and the so called "annoyances", then make me one and ill deal with it you big wusses! Then u can go about the forums in "peace and tranquility", where nothing bad ever happens. :p

IBrake4Rainbows
09-17-2004, 10:02 PM
Famous last word there WERTY.

I'll be sure to make the suggestion in the Mod forums.

And when you've been doing this for nigh on a year and a half, werty, tell me. :p

Rico
09-17-2004, 10:16 PM
I like the rep

Blue Supra
09-17-2004, 10:38 PM
What if rep could only be given in certain circumstances? like if someonw was recommended for a rep boost and then another member had to second it to go through, or what if rep could only be given for the games we play or something and renamed to like "games won" or something similar, i think if you want to let someone know they made a good post then PM them and leave the rep thingy out of it, its really just a little sign saying "im popular!" i had 47 rep, im not crying or mourning over it, Werty you had 110, impressive but nevertheless it was a little sign "im popular." thats all it ever was and all itl ever be if its brought back. i think a change to its ok but if its not coming back then im not going to lose sleep over it. I voted it goes.

taz_rocks_miami
09-17-2004, 11:19 PM
this thread is getting more and more ridiculous for excuses on why the rep system wasnt working well....It WAS!

If you cant handle being a moderator, and the so called "annoyances", then make me one and ill deal with it you big wusses! Then u can go about the forums in "peace and tranquility", where nothing bad ever happens. :p

Werty, I know you're upset, but with comments like this you're not helping the rep system return. I don't agree that system was working all that well, it was open to abuses and misuse.

If you really want it back, make some usefull suggestions on how to improve it so it can comeback.