PDA

View Full Version : I Need Advice On Turbo Please

QuattroMan
09-19-2004, 04:52 PM
I have a 04 Audi a4 1.8tq 6sp Ultra pkg w/GIAC chip I want to change my turbo I have k03 know, what turbo should I get, your advice will be appreciated ....thank you...

Quiggs
09-19-2004, 05:28 PM
www.fourtitude.com will become your best friend.

(I'm more a VW guy than Audi, so I might have some info incorrect) Are you looking for an OEM replacement? Ko3-S and K04 are both direct bolt ups.

Turbonetics and Garret make some really large turbo kits. It all depends how far (and how much money) you have and are willing to spend. 300whp? 400? 500+? Are you going to get a front-mount intercooler? Diverter valve? Make sure to get your GIAC re-flashed for whatever you end up with.

Also try the 1.8T Technical Forum (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=27). It's full of knowledgable people in all things 1.8T.

QuattroMan
09-19-2004, 05:40 PM
www.fourtitude.com will become your best friend.

(I'm more a VW guy than Audi, so I might have some info incorrect) Are you looking for an OEM replacement? Ko3-S and K04 are both direct bolt ups.

Turbonetics and Garret make some really large turbo kits. It all depends how far (and how much money) you have and are willing to spend. 300whp? 400? 500+? Are you going to get a front-mount intercooler? Diverter valve? Make sure to get your GIAC re-flashed for whatever you end up with.

Also try the 1.8T Technical Forum (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=27). It's full of knowledgable people in all things 1.8T.

i allready have my chip{re-flashed} i want got 400hp and yes i am going all the way front intercooler d/valve what do you know about berring turbo?

Quiggs
09-19-2004, 06:01 PM
APR comes highly recommended for the Audi 1.8T application.

Here's a list of their products for the B6 (2002+ A4). http://goapr.com/Audi/vehicles/8ea418t.html

APR's stage II kit uses a Garret GT-28 turbo. APR's kits allow for a lot of upgradability later on.

I can't believe I forgot to mention exhaust in my first post. 2.5" *should* be enough diameter, but for 400hp, you might want to go 3". APR has a 2.5" cat-back (1.8T turbo and catalytic converter are together) system available. GHL makes 2.5" and 3" systems.

A weak point of the 1.8T is the clutch- you'll definitely need to upgrade this. Off the top of my head www.ecstuning.com and www.awe-tuning.com have uprated kits available. For more power, you'll also need to address the fuel system.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it up.

my porsche
09-19-2004, 06:42 PM
that sounds like one badass a4, i saw one in euro tuner with 350hp and a body kit, you should look into either wheels or a body kit, or both, or make a sleeper a4, that would be really really really cool

audivwmeister
09-20-2004, 02:54 PM
APR's stage II kit uses a Garret GT-28 turbo. APR's kits allow for a lot of upgradability later on.

don't they make one called the gt-28R? i think thats the one david from eurocode was running, i drove his car before it burned up at dubwars, was nice, had some power, but then when it spooled up it would snap and pull hard.

if you're going to get serious power out of that motor, you'll need to swap to a front mount, diverter valve, fuel pressure regulator, but you'll also need bigger FUEL INJECTORS.

oh and by the way tom, your exaust pipes aren't even, the right side sticks out a little bit farther to the point of being noticeable. ;)