PDA

View Full Version : Blueys Big Decison!

Blue Supra
09-20-2004, 01:22 AM
OK so ive blown my budget and can no longer afford an RX7...:(:(
So what im left with is my trusty little datto! What i want to know is should i keep my money for something else or should i go nuts on it and do it up to rally spec (for those who dont know Stanzas were quite the rally car back in the (matras;)) day.) ATM this car has upgraded lowered suspension, wide (for the cars size) 5'5 inch wheels, the engine is a stock L16 1.6 litre beast;) gearbox is a 4speed manual and is breathing out a stock exhaust system. What i would do is this, drop a L20 2L engine out of a TRX Bluebird in with a larger exhaust (not fart can;)) put in strut support bars for less roll, A 5 speed GB outta a SSS Stanza, port n polish for better flow and maybe a bigger cam. I can get all this done for under 5k, which doesnt sound like a lot but i havent been working long so itll be my 1st major life purchase. what do you guys think? any suggestions or comments would be appreciated, i took these pics this arvo so you know what youre dealing with...

-Bluey

IBrake4Rainbows
09-20-2004, 01:28 AM
Go hard for it mate!

Make it Fully SIC!

Or keep it as a beater and save harder.......

whiteballz
09-20-2004, 01:30 AM
wow IB4R, you are the most indecicive person ive ever met,
i would say go for it simon! sounds like a great idea for rally spec. you gota get a cage in there :P then twin snails!

HA

IBrake4Rainbows
09-20-2004, 01:36 AM
Well, i'm in two minds about it.

If you really love the car, do it up to the hilt, and make it something you would be proud of.

But, if your aspiring for something more, then keep it as a beater, and save your money.

I'm sorry if my logic comes across as indecision.

whiteballz
09-20-2004, 01:45 AM
nah im just tired and stressed atm, ive got ABW and its giving me the shits. my bad.

fpv_gtho
09-20-2004, 02:17 AM
I think if you love the car and enjoy it, then go for it. You gotta remember how much your potentially losing if you ever want to sell the car though

Spastik_Roach
09-20-2004, 02:28 AM
I'm gunna change the colour in photoshop, see what colour would look good with it. That yellows a bit ugly you know? No offence :p

With some help, that car could look awesome.

Blue Supra
09-20-2004, 02:35 AM
Go for it Spastik, make me errr my car beautiful!

motorsportnerd
09-20-2004, 05:00 AM
If you've got 5K to spend may I humbly suggest you either put it as a down deposit on a car that you want?
Or spend the 5K on something a bit newer than the old Datsun.
You can buy some pretty interesting stuff for 5K these days.
I'd suggest a early 1990s Toyota Corolla GT, Mazda Astina SP, Ford Laser TX3i or a Nissan Pulsar 2.0Q. All can be found under $5K. All are pretty quick small cars that have decent handling. None should be too expensive to insure. And they all be pretty reliable and a good base for some mods. The downside (if you can call it that) is that they're all FWD.
Or go up a class and you'll find early 1990s Peugeot 405s, Ford Telstar/Mazda 626 V6s, Nissan Bluebirds and Subaru Libertys. The Peugeot and Nissan handle well, the Telstar/626 are quick and have some luxury. The Subaru should be awd and has a little character. You'll be taking more risk on reliability (esp in the Pug), insurance will be higher, but I'd argue they're all more interesting daily drivers than the old Datsun.
Then there's the Preludes, Celicas and MX6s - they should all be in your budget.
If RWD is a must, then you'll easily find Commodore VP/VRs & Falcon EB/EDs for 5K. Can't think of much else that's ealrly 90s, RWD and 5k unfortunately. Supras and RX7s will be too expensive. Silvias too risky and hard to insure. Bimmers and Mercs will be much older - though a mid 80s BMW 3 series may be worth a punt.
Spend the 5k on a daily driver that interests you, and keep the old Datsun for a bit of fun and some club events.

Matra et Alpine
09-20-2004, 06:11 AM
Red, matt black bonnet, Big black circle on the roof and doors for the event numbers and take it classic rallying :) 4 Super Oscars on the front :)

They were goo dcars in their day and did well even afer the arrival of the 240Z works cars. But 1960s handling is 'interesting', it might prove expensiev to get it to match a more maodern car. Dont' knwo abotu parts for them. You're best to take local advice on that.

You know my 'recommendation' will be to prep it anc compete with it on track or rally and have it as a day car too. Then you get the best of both worlds. Can't speak for you guys, but over here a classic prepared and competed car sells well above book :) So the investmenet might not be too painful when you come to upgrade ( assuming you dont' orang it badly !!! )

Wouter Melissen
09-20-2004, 06:32 AM
This is the paint scheme M&A is referring to.

Matra et Alpine
09-20-2004, 07:01 AM
This is the paint scheme M&A is referring to.
or this... damn couldn't find any 1600s in that colour scheme, so it maybe came later :(

Here it is on it's home-turf - none of that poncy track stuff :)

http://zhome.com/History/Images/EAS11.jpg

:Exige:
09-20-2004, 08:52 AM
If it was me I'd say no but I want to know what happens if you actually do it :D

cuntukimushroom
09-20-2004, 12:02 PM
go nuts on it pal!!!!!!!!!!

Mustang
09-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Red, matt black bonnet, Big black circle on the roof and doors for the event numbers and take it classic rallying :) 4 Super Oscars on the front :)

They were goo dcars in their day and did well even afer the arrival of the 240Z works cars. But 1960s handling is 'interesting', it might prove expensiev to get it to match a more maodern car. Dont' knwo abotu parts for them. You're best to take local advice on that.

You know my 'recommendation' will be to prep it anc compete with it on track or rally and have it as a day car too. Then you get the best of both worlds. Can't speak for you guys, but over here a classic prepared and competed car sells well above book :) So the investmenet might not be too painful when you come to upgrade ( assuming you dont' orang it badly !!! )

Ahmen

home-turf - none of that poncy track stuff

Damn rite :)

Go for it mate :)

Karrmann
09-20-2004, 03:17 PM
go for the bucket! and, since you are deciding to swap the engine, consider a vTec ;)

Blue Supra
09-20-2004, 07:37 PM
go for the bucket! and, since you are deciding to swap the engine, consider a vTec ;)

If i wanted to go full sick on it id put in a SR20DET, but that 1500 bucks just to get the mountings made, then id have to get suitable GB to fit, brakes upgraded, insurance through the roof, etc etc etc. it all adds up which is why i just want to keep costs down, for now:D

i want it as a daily driver and track car, Matras right on the money there, its a top car aside for no air con:( 4x80 air con is what i use in the summer, Local parts are somewhat hard to find but not impossible, theres a great amount of datsun enthusiasts around though, i like www.ozdat.com
i find out heapsa stuff there and can get pretty much whatever i need from the classies there. Thanks for your interest guys!:)

taz_rocks_miami
09-20-2004, 08:16 PM
If you like the car Supra, go for it!!! The important thing is that YOU are happy with your ride!!!

Karrmann
09-22-2004, 05:49 PM
If i wanted to go full sick on it id put in a SR20DET, but that 1500 bucks just to get the mountings made, then id have to get suitable GB to fit, brakes upgraded, insurance through the roof, etc etc etc. it all adds up which is why i just want to keep costs down, for now:D

i want it as a daily driver and track car, Matras right on the money there, its a top car aside for no air con:( 4x80 air con is what i use in the summer, Local parts are somewhat hard to find but not impossible, theres a great amount of datsun enthusiasts around though, i like www.ozdat.com
i find out heapsa stuff there and can get pretty much whatever i need from the classies there. Thanks for your interest guys!:)

well, also, I suggest a brake upgrade, cause it is a bucket, who knows how old those brakes are, hell, the brakes pads could be dust :D

when was it last drived? if you tell me I got some little tips for you, It depends on how long it has been sitting and where it has sitting.

Blue Supra
09-23-2004, 06:01 AM
Karrman i drive it everyday, i already own it, the brakes have patheticly tiny discs on the front and DRUM brakes on the rear, if i went nuts then yes i would do the brakes, i know exactly the parts and how much it would cost, iv had it quoted. It parks in that same spot everyday. i drive it at least 20ks everyday (to and from work) and more on weekends. its a good car, but its just getting tired and it really needs either a new engine or at least a recon on the existing one. so whats this big secret?

charged
09-23-2004, 07:17 AM
OK so ive blown my budget and can no longer afford an RX7...:(:(
So what im left with is my trusty little datto! What i want to know is should i keep my money for something else or should i go nuts on it and do it up to rally spec (for those who dont know Stanzas were quite the rally car back in the (matras;)) day.) ATM this car has upgraded lowered suspension, wide (for the cars size) 5'5 inch wheels, the engine is a stock L16 1.6 litre beast;) gearbox is a 4speed manual and is breathing out a stock exhaust system. What i would do is this, drop a L20 2L engine out of a TRX Bluebird in with a larger exhaust (not fart can;)) put in strut support bars for less roll, A 5 speed GB outta a SSS Stanza, port n polish for better flow and maybe a bigger cam. I can get all this done for under 5k, which doesnt sound like a lot but i havent been working long so itll be my 1st major life purchase. what do you guys think? any suggestions or comments would be appreciated, i took these pics this arvo so you know what youre dealing with...

-Bluey

Rollcages can be very expensive if your not running in approved events, use it for club sprints,hillclimbs etc,can still be road regoed.If I have used poor grammar for this post I'm sorry,seems some people have some major issues about correct grammar punctuation etc,sorry only went to grade 4 but I can lift heavy things above my head.Fullstop end of sentence.Exclamation Mark.Question Mark. :)

Karrmann
09-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Karrman i drive it everyday, i already own it, the brakes have patheticly tiny discs on the front and DRUM brakes on the rear, if i went nuts then yes i would do the brakes, i know exactly the parts and how much it would cost, iv had it quoted. It parks in that same spot everyday. i drive it at least 20ks everyday (to and from work) and more on weekends. its a good car, but its just getting tired and it really needs either a new engine or at least a recon on the existing one. so whats this big secret?

how long did it sit before you bought it?

Blue Supra
09-23-2004, 07:15 PM
Its never sat, i got it from mum, who got it from a dealership 26 years ago new! so its a always been looked after, regularly serviced, and driven by mum until almost 2 years ago, now I regularly service it, check the engine out etc etc its in perfect working order all around except it may need a new clutch soon.:)

fpv_gtho
09-24-2004, 02:14 AM
geez i wonder how that came about :p

Blue Supra
10-21-2004, 10:54 PM
well time for an update on the Dat!
Since the RX7 was a big dissapointment ive decided to console myself with impulse auto shopping!:D
1st up on saturday im going to have the datto measured up for a custom strut tower brace and on wednesday im having a 2" exhaust system fitted, i may decide to get extractors too but im yet to convince myself that itll br worth it, ill post new pics when the works all done :)

Blue Supra
10-21-2004, 11:05 PM
kay i just impulse bought some extractors... or headers, whatever you call them in your areas.:p

SlickHolden
10-23-2004, 03:20 AM
Buy a holden mate go for it:p

Blue Supra
10-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Heres pics of the seat that i fitted yesterday, i did a pretty bodgy job though, im doing some welding and such for proper mounts tomorow afternoon. Exhaust system is coming tomorrow morning:D ill put pics of that up too tomorrow sometime:)

I didnt realise my windscreen was so dirty:p

Enjoy

BTW: make sure you measure everything perfectly when fitting a seat, cost me many hours of buggering around by mis measuring one place:mad:

fpv_gtho
10-26-2004, 01:59 AM
now you just need a 4 point harness :p

whiteballz
10-26-2004, 02:48 AM
that and a car good enough to go with the seats.

:D

fpv_gtho
10-26-2004, 03:54 AM
oooo i wouldnt take that if i was you Bluey :p

Blue Supra
10-26-2004, 10:57 PM
that and a car good enough to go with the seats.

:D

now all YOU need to do is get a car!:p

Blue Supra
10-26-2004, 10:58 PM
Just got my car back from exhaust shop! Sounds so meaty! cant wait to take for a proper drive:D:D:D:D

SlickHolden
10-27-2004, 11:47 AM
You got the blow off valve on:D

Blue Supra
10-27-2004, 09:11 PM
ROFL

later mate,
thatll come later...:)

jcp123
10-28-2004, 02:35 AM
mmmm datsuns...

whiteballz
10-28-2004, 03:30 AM
*cough* crapsuns *cough*

roflmaotismia!

mechanixfetch
10-28-2004, 11:34 AM
just wondering isn't it a waste of money to buy a new exhaust and headers (or whatever you called 'em) if you're planning on changing the engine? but it looks good.

Blue Supra
10-28-2004, 10:59 PM
i checked before i bought them that they will go onto the engine im buying. Its the same line of engines so it'll fit fine. thers an L16 in there now and im putting an L18 in later on. im going to go look at one tomorrow and prolly buy it. $150 running. cant go wrong:)

fpv_gtho
10-28-2004, 11:40 PM
whats the benefit gunna be? more, low down torque?

Blue Supra
10-29-2004, 06:42 AM
yeh that and more power throughout in general, ill be putting webers and lightening the flywheel and all that BS, its just to get me through till i get some serious money together and can buy a good engine:)

fpv_gtho
10-29-2004, 06:44 AM
it'd be smart to look into if the weber's will transfer onto the L18 like your exhaust :p maybe the flywheel will as well......but i wouldnt do anything right now that wont transfer over...otherwise you'll be wasting money that can go towards the engine, transmission, suspension and brakes

Blue Supra
10-30-2004, 07:28 AM
yeh well ive got an engine lined up to be picked up next saturday. ill start rebuilding it then but it wont be ready in time for wakefield i dont think unfortunately:(
ive advertised for SSS Stana 5 speed. Hopefully i can get one locally without having to stuff around:)

Blue Supra
11-04-2004, 09:08 PM
OK time for an UPDATE!!!

- had my exhaust fitted 10 days(ish) ago, very happy with that
- had racing seat fitted properly over the weekend, very very happy with that
- am picking up a 1.8L engine this weekend.
- have found a SSS Stanza 5 Speed on ebay for $100 starting bid in the ACT:)

1st race is 2 days from now, then i have one 2 weeks after that on a "proper" circuit:)

and im looking at an SR20DET as an option for next year
(cheaper and easier then the 4L, sorry guys:()

charged
11-08-2004, 06:47 AM
4L too much engineering sr20det is the way to go,are you going to buy a half cut or just an engine,you can get engines from about 1200 upwards

Blue Supra
11-12-2004, 05:32 PM
The engines are more then 1200 :eek: there like 3k.:( but i will be going with that eventually.

1st race went really well and i had a heap of fun! Ive got and 1800cc engine being rebuilt and i dropped off a 5 speed gearbox i got off Ebay for 122.50! wreckers normally want 400+ for em so SCORE!:D

Matra et Alpine
11-12-2004, 05:34 PM
1st race went really well and i had a heap of fun! Ive got and 1800cc engine being rebuilt and i dropped off a 5 speed gearbox i got off Ebay for 122.50! wreckers normally want 400+ for em so SCORE!:D
Excellent - on the race AND the buy :)

SO did you improve your lap times by much ?
Able to dial-in any improvements - or is that waht the new 'box is for :)
Manage to stay on the black stuff OK and not trade paint ?? Always what I tell new guys to concetrate on in the first race. Leave the adrenaline for the second or third one :)

fpv_gtho
11-12-2004, 08:11 PM
i think his first run was like 68-69 seconds, then by the 6th or so run that was down to like 60.2

Blue Supra
11-12-2004, 08:53 PM
yeh i ran 67.42 first lap and got faster every lap after down to 60.14. i stayed on cept for my 2nd last run where i got the front left off onto the dirt for a bit, still knocked .8 off from last lap before. last lap i just when insane and gunned it, got some mad sideways on the final downhill turn:D sooo much screeching and fast fun:)

cant wait for next weekend:D

Blue Supra
11-12-2004, 08:58 PM
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9295

i made this a few days ago but being in the misc section things disappear VERY quickly:p

Blue Supra
11-13-2004, 09:42 PM
OK theres been a delay...:(

i wont be getting the engine OR gearbox put in for another 2 months but thats because...

1. The gearbox is going to have new bearings etc put through it
2. The engine is getting a complete rebuild with better pistons, an aluminium flywheel and a bunch more and will be able to rev to around 8 or 9000rpms when its finished.
3. New clutch to with the above.

SO, its gunna take a while and about another 3000 dollars:( but itll be worth it hopefully:D

fpv_gtho
11-14-2004, 02:21 AM
i take it though that could all go in tomorrow if you had the $3000 handy??

Blue Supra
11-15-2004, 02:36 PM
no, my guy is working on a motorbike for his daughter atm so he doesnt have time and we need parts from all over the country:rolleyes: and also i dont have the 3k yet but he said he'd do it in good faith, he knows im good for it.:)

fpv_gtho
11-15-2004, 08:48 PM
well sounds like you found a good mechanic there :p

Radoman
11-16-2004, 02:57 AM
I am interested in seeing such a car finished and on the road. it would make for a sweet little monster, and scare the shit out of everyone else.

Blue Supra
11-17-2004, 05:31 PM
Im hoping to upset a few lancer and pulsar boy racers thats for sure, it wont be a V8 killer but itll take 4 cyls. best part is theres room for a turbo later:D

fpv_gtho
11-17-2004, 11:48 PM
dont underestimate the low weight/moderate power combo, alot of 80's and late 70's V8's dont have that much power anyway

Spastik_Roach
11-18-2004, 12:41 AM
Why don't you put a Buick V6 in your Datto? I saw a Datsun 180b with a 4.0l Buick V6 and Cadillac 4 Speed Conversion!

fpv_gtho
11-18-2004, 12:45 AM
personally i reckon the difference between weight and cost between that and a lexus V8 conversion would be dead on the same so i'd go with the V8....

but cudos to that guy for being unique :p

charged
11-18-2004, 03:14 AM
The engines are more then 1200 :eek: there like 3k.:( but i will be going with that eventually.

Give ichibarn a ring on 02 96007066 a call they have sr20det for 1495,

Blue Supra
11-18-2004, 05:03 PM
:eek: SERIOUS!
nah V8s not an option anymore, it WOULD fit but there isnt enough room for it to get proper air circulation:( I think im going to stick with the 1.8L engine, itll make close to 200HP and rev like a bastard (8500RPM Predicted redline) and thats still NA with heaps of room for a turbo:)

fpv_gtho
11-21-2004, 02:42 AM
thats pretty good for what sort of engine it is, like by that i mean its just a run of the mill economy engine...nothing special, not even an FJ20

Blue Supra
11-22-2004, 03:56 PM
yeh well you could get that out of any engine today if you put enough money into it:p

@wall
11-22-2004, 05:40 PM
bluey your car will be a little demon, am looking forwards to regular progress reports...;)

Blue Supra
11-22-2004, 06:15 PM
iv found some webers on ebay!:)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4506200925&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

just gotta check that theyre right for my engine:)

QuattroMan
11-22-2004, 06:24 PM
might as will go for it before you spend the rest of the money :D

Blue Supra
11-23-2004, 05:10 AM
i bought a new diff today with A LOT less play in it, its getting fitted after the weekend:)

SlickHolden
11-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Let us no racer:D
Show us some pics of you bagging up the rears mate:D

Blue Supra
11-23-2004, 10:37 PM
LMAO, been there, done that and that why i need a new diff, found some dellortos... theyre cheaper and prolly better then those webers i posted... ill link to em in a bit when im home.:)

SlickHolden
11-24-2004, 12:55 PM
What about a little turbo or nos bottle :D

Blue Supra
11-24-2004, 08:45 PM
turbo is an option for late next year but i think ill have my hands full with this thing until then:D plus itll eat stupid amounts of petrol:(

fpv_gtho
11-25-2004, 01:15 AM
nah dont go nos, you'd be better off wiring up a push to pass button with the turbo :p

Blue Supra
11-25-2004, 04:45 AM
id never use NOS, at least not in that car... it costs STACKS to refill a bottle not to mention its not street legal... like i said... turbo maybe september - october next year..

Blue Supra
11-25-2004, 05:19 AM
as promised...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4505409617&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

fpv_gtho
11-30-2004, 01:58 AM
hey Bluey, i think someones taken your idea: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2349/article.html

Blue Supra
11-30-2004, 04:20 PM
:mad::mad::mad:NOT HAPPY JAN!!!
im so cut:(

Blue Supra
12-01-2004, 04:41 PM
getting a quote for race spec suspension on monday:D hopefully it wont cost an arm and a leg:o

charged
12-02-2004, 05:21 AM
What suspension are you going,that sr20 looks sweet in the engine bay, blue

Blue Supra
12-02-2004, 02:36 PM
hehe, it'll get there eventually charged, itll get there. i dont know.... whatever the shop says i need and then ill get my mate to fit it:)

charged
12-04-2004, 06:58 AM
All takes time and sadly money

Blue Supra
12-05-2004, 04:45 PM
yeh man:( im finding that out the hard way, im going to try and get discount/sponsorship from the place im going to get my suspension done, i noticed on the track day that their competitors have a lot of sponsored cars there. So maybe theyd be interested in breaking into that?:)

charged
12-06-2004, 03:35 AM
My nephews got that on their first car,exhaust technology did a system for trade,sounded excellent,on their new cars their putting Allan Engineering on them as they have helped heaps

Blue Supra
12-07-2004, 06:10 AM
yeh well 20% off 700 bucks is like 560 bucks which is a fair saving and 20% off $1300 for the KONI shocks and springs... is like $1040 so its well worth trying for:)

fpv_gtho
12-07-2004, 07:00 AM
that might be another tip to convincing people to become sponsors, give them percentages rather than the $$$ figures, i mean im sure if you were gunna pay $1500 in parts and were after a 15-20% discount in exchange for sponsorship, would the 15-20% sell it more than $225-$300?

Blue Supra
12-07-2004, 11:12 PM
i would think so... it just sounds less threatening when you talk percentages then dollars:)

Matra et Alpine
01-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Found this and thought it might give some inspiration and certainly some ideas for what you could do :)
http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/other/1089963129/1089963129pp.htm
http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/other/1089963129/1089963129pm1.jpg

Blue Supra
01-23-2005, 05:52 PM
Thats a bloody clean L16 engine he's got in there. looks like side draft webers too. must have some pump. im hangin out to get my suspension sorted ONCE AND FOR ALL so i can finally start on the engine.

Matra et Alpine
01-24-2005, 08:58 AM
The SPEC sheet for the car looks like a parts list for you :)

Blue Supra
01-25-2005, 05:00 AM
LOL, maybe when im your age i'd have finished putting half that in;)