PDA

View Full Version : da true driving skill?

nismo
10-08-2003, 01:28 PM
Your true driving skill is proved while you are clearing corners. Such street race cars like in 2f2f run so fast only on the straight. I don't think they know how to drive quickly or effectively keeping tires' grip. This is why I hate NAS cars. True race cars should be running negotiating a lot of hard corners. On the street, big engines always win.

Motorer1
10-09-2003, 11:50 AM
YES! Somebody finally said it, and it is so true! This thread should have a sticky on it!

megotmea7
10-09-2003, 08:25 PM
he said nothing that hasnt been said many times before, and this thread is hardly worth the click let alone a sticky...

Homem de Gelo
12-26-2003, 07:28 PM
In the middle of the 90s, CART raced in the most different and amazing tracks possible. They had superspeedways, street circuits, road courses and short ovals. Now that was a true challenge for cars and drivers, without all the politics and BS that infests F1.

Too bad it's gone, because, honestly speaking, for quite a few years it was the most exciting racing. Now CART is in its deathbed, and we are waiting to see what happens.

F1, obviously, is also a huge challenge, but technology has unfortunately robbed us from part of it.

Oh, and I also have a huge respect for rally. Think about it, driving over rocks, sand and snow, avoiding potholes and having cliffs or trees only a few metres away from you. Takes lots of balls and skills.

Evil Ewok
01-27-2004, 04:20 PM
When you look at things, it's not how cars become fads, such as muscle cars in the elder days of our parents, to now, where the x and y generations are buying the cheap, mileage busting, and just overal good rice burners. Yes the fast and the furious and 2f2f were very shitty car movies ( in the prospect of seeing them as being informative ) but, as being good car chase movies and action genre movies, they fit in perfectly, and the import scene loves it. They are finally getting some publicity, finally being noticed that a h22 honda 4cyl engine can make as much power as a hemi ( with modifications obviously), and with better gas mileage and less cylinders to boot. You can't criticize how bad the scene has become if your just going to notice the rice APC drivers that run the back roads saying they are going to 'drift', or you would be way out of your league and entirely uninformed. The import scene is a great section of the automotive industry, and has produced some of the greatest cars to date. Examples: Honda NSX (one of the first full production cars to have an entire aluminum body), Nissan Skyline GT-R (what the hell is there more to say? SUPER-HICAS, ATTESA ET-S. Just one of the most amazing cars ever built in my personal opinion), and lastly, but not least at all, Mazda RX series, or any of their cars with the rotary engine (how can an engine get better? How about a quad rotory naturally aspirated le mans winning engine. One of the most complicated engines ever built, but still, with a few quirks fixed, one of the best engines).

I don't really understand what you were trying to get at, but I had to vent my opinion on 'NAS' running cars (nos, but ok) when truly, when the movie came out, you probally wanted the toyota supra mk4, or the GS-T Eclipse. Drag racing is a good sport, and theres no reason to bash it just because of a few want to portray their image as street king/queen for a night, or be able to feel that rush of adreniline when green is on the tree. Live with it.

Evil Ewok
01-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Oh, and my favorite kind of racing is more than likely Rally Racing. I have always admired how difficult it must be to be able to run 110down a loose gravel road in finland, or how they keep their tires set on the tarmac in germany. Great Sport.

DasModell
01-28-2004, 04:25 PM
those kind of drag racing as done in the movies 2f2f . is not sport ... :)

Matra et Alpine
01-28-2004, 06:50 PM
In the middle of the 90s, CART raced in the most different and amazing tracks possible. They had superspeedways, street circuits, road courses and short ovals. Now that was a true challenge for cars and drivers, without all the politics and BS that infests F1.

Too bad it's gone,

This made me laugh.

the reason it's gone is because of POLITICS and BS !!!

Matra et Alpine
01-28-2004, 06:54 PM
Oh, and my favorite kind of racing is more than likely Rally Racing. I have always admired how difficult it must be to be able to run 110down a loose gravel road in finland, or how they keep their tires set on the tarmac in germany. Great Sport.
Scottish forest stages are one of the scariest but sadly not in the International calender now that the Rally GB is only in Wales !!
70-80mph sideways a foot from 50foot high trees sorts men from boys :)
Watch the WRC if you can and see the speeds on mountain roads.
6 inches of crimbling wall is all that seperates a car running on icy roads at 100mph and a 5000 foot drop. My driver's off tomorrow for the Classic Monte start at Reims. I couldn't make it :( He's under instructions to get good in-car footage and plenty photos :)

Homem de Gelo
01-28-2004, 07:20 PM
This made me laugh.

the reason it's gone is because of POLITICS and BS !!!

I was talking about CART back in the early 90s until, let's say, 96 or 97, not about what is left of CART today.

Matra et Alpine
01-28-2004, 07:45 PM
I was talking about CART back in the early 90s until, let's say, 96 or 97, not about what is left of CART today.
So was I !!
The permitted engines.
The chassis. At least it looks as if LOLA could recover with the A! series :)
The George family mafia and the Indy fighting with CART.
The top echelon of any sport becomes a business with all the politics and BS :(

Homem de Gelo
01-29-2004, 03:21 PM
But at least things didn't get in the way back then like they do now. Do you remember the 1995 Indy 500? Villeneuve actually drove 505 miles to win that race! :eek: