PDA

View Full Version : UCP after removal of rep system

r1ckst4
09-24-2004, 02:37 AM
Sorry to bring up this subject again... i just have to do it...

I think that UCP's forum has becoming a little slow after the removal of the rep system... i'm not saying that we have to bring back the rep system again... and i'm not saying dat we hav to argue again about this whole thing...

I can see the dramatic changes in thread qualities and also posts... Multimedia, for example... there r a few new threads but many of them arent really that great... and if u look at the amount of replies, u can see that these threads only get very few replies from members...

Since the rep has gone i think many members has became less and less interested to put in the effort to post anything good... and we already lost a few good members from this forum... i'm afraid to say that UCP has becoming a little boring...

This is just my opinion... u may think that UCP is running well and there is no problem... u can disagree with me all u want... i just think that i should get this off my chest... :(

please hav your say on this.... ;)

-rick

andy.muc
09-24-2004, 02:41 AM
Hmm i didn't even get why the rep system was removed...

85RX7
09-24-2004, 02:46 AM
sup ricky, nice avatar BTW.

It has become slow, not heaps, but noticably. But i guess that was taken into account when rep was removed, a 1/2 dead forum.

fpv_gtho
09-24-2004, 02:49 AM
It hasnt really influenced me that much, i havent noticed that much of a change.

henk4
09-24-2004, 03:13 AM
I think the main purpose of UCP is to provide automotive information and excellent pictures. The majority of the visitors may hardly go to the forums and are certainly not members. The title of this thread is suggesting too much that the future of UCP is depending on one aspect of the forums.

Matra et Alpine
09-24-2004, 03:21 AM
All forums go through quiet phases and contributors can have many reasons external to UCP for why posts are reduced. As there is a reason to be sensitive then you naturally see a pattern to align with it. That's a natural thing we all do. How many red cars did you see today ? Well from now on you're going to see more ? Is that because there ARE more than an hour ago ? No, it's because of a thing called our "reticular activiation system".

So we're 'attuned' at the moment to identify differences and attribute them to rep. Many of the 'diffrences' were always there.
Now, if the natural cycles come and go and don't reach the heights of before then I'd concur with the POV.

Me ? I'm busy but also 'waiting' for tomorrow's Scottish Classic Car show and then UCP is going to be flooded the same way as for Knockhill. And my next rally event isn't for a month and nothing interestign has happened in an F1 race worthy of posting. So there are all MY personal reasons for less multimedia posts from me :)

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-24-2004, 01:38 PM
I have to say that, even as a dedicated rep supporter, I don't think it will be making a comeback for a short while... hence the removal of my last part of my signature. But I do agree, Rick, that the forums have become a little slower. Some folks take F...O...R...E...V...E...R to answer....

taz_rocks_miami
09-24-2004, 01:51 PM
It hasnt really influenced me that much, i havent noticed that much of a change.

I agree and I don't miss rep at all. If some members have slowed their posts due to the lack of rep, it just tells ya what they were here for. We'll survive and thrive without rep.

baddabang
09-24-2004, 02:02 PM
All forums go through quiet phases and contributors can have many reasons external to UCP for why posts are reduced.

Yep Mostly Skool for me. Not only that, for somereason I feel more tired than usual :confused:

Mustang
09-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Yep Mostly Skool for me.

same here now i just started my new college it hasnt left me with alot of time to go around searching for things to post that are with the time yet, but if you look on the multimedia forums in a few hours youll be plesently surprised if you like rally :) ;)

GrimaH
09-24-2004, 07:09 PM
Well I gotta agree with Taz, many members were just surfers who stumbled into UCP by mistake and liked the rep part. I would say, to hell with rep, UCP would be better of without it. We don't need 'em.

whiteballz
09-24-2004, 09:15 PM
bada, are you me? ive been feeling really really tired lately

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-25-2004, 05:28 AM
yo taz, can you send me your old avatar of Itchy & Scratchy?

r1ckst4
09-25-2004, 05:39 AM
yo taz, can you send me your old avatar of Itchy & Scratchy?
:( totally pointless post... u ever heard of PM? Private Message?

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-25-2004, 05:44 AM
Sorry, I forgot... and he might not check his OMs, cos I've PMed quite a few ppl and they've never replied.

Karrmann
09-25-2004, 07:21 AM
well with me I always read my PMS but i just deleate them when I feel it is useless to replyonly r34_296kw spams with PMs :D

Rockefella
09-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Sorry to bring up this subject again... i just have to do it...

I think that UCP's forum has becoming a little slow after the removal of the rep system... i'm not saying that we have to bring back the rep system again... and i'm not saying dat we hav to argue again about this whole thing...

I can see the dramatic changes in thread qualities and also posts... Multimedia, for example... there r a few new threads but many of them arent really that great... and if u look at the amount of replies, u can see that these threads only get very few replies from members...

Since the rep has gone i think many members has became less and less interested to put in the effort to post anything good... and we already lost a few good members from this forum... i'm afraid to say that UCP has becoming a little boring...

This is just my opinion... u may think that UCP is running well and there is no problem... u can disagree with me all u want... i just think that i should get this off my chest... :(

please hav your say on this.... ;)

-rick
I think that this hit the Chop comps the hardest. Before, there would be about 10-15 chops, now there are only about 6 or 7 chops maximum. I don't think people aren't posting chops because of rep, but IMO, it is more than a coincidence.

whiteballz
09-26-2004, 05:39 PM
i dont chop anymore, (half you guys wouldnt have seen my real stuff)
because of school and outdoorsy stuff. its getting into summer here, and that means i go out and play alot of soccer (football to those in europe)

SlickHolden
09-27-2004, 10:40 AM
BRING BACK THE REP!!!!!!!! LOL:D:D:D J/K:)

Distress
09-27-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm new (well, at posting I guess), and what is 'REP'; are they reputation points?

We have them at another automotive forum, and I don't notice anything changed; still the same old post (mainly in off topic unfortunatly), and little discusssion about automobiles (usually members only talk about how the car looks, hopefully it's not like that here :( ).

All in all, I don't see how this place is slow.. :confused: Trust me, my board is MUCH worse :P

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Rep was a number, next to a little green box. The number would be increased by 1 if someone (who had rep/reputation of 25 points plus) liked a chop/comment/thread/joke/person. Rep could also be removed if you made a bad comment, such as racism, swearing and insulting another member, or if somebody didn't approve of a chop of yours. Rep was abused, and therefore had to be removed- it was used a revenge tool, or just because someone didn't like another person. It made some people (me included) afraid to express their views, as I didn't want to hve a low rep, and made some users jealous of others:confused:. BTW, nice avatar! :D And I wish you a happy time at UCP. If you stick around, then you might see rep make a comeback. :D

SlickHolden
09-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Yeah i only got 1 bad rep i was soooooooooooooooo happy:D
It was nothing not a comment to anyone else, It was a post about me with a joke, Someone seen it the wrong way bad rep me so i told them what it was and bad rep them back lol thats so wrong to:(.
But i got a apoligie later on, So later when i had the chance i made sure i gave rep back for being a good sport :D

Blue Supra
09-30-2004, 09:47 AM
I havent noticed anything, maybe theres a log somewhere... in fact therd have to be of all the traffic that goes through the server... maybe Wouter knows...

Rockefella
09-30-2004, 12:01 PM
i dont chop anymore, (half you guys wouldnt have seen my real stuff)
because of school and outdoorsy stuff. its getting into summer here, and that means i go out and play alot of soccer (football to those in europe)
I go outside every day to juggle and shoot around my soccer ball. Nothing like some practice in the crisp autumn weather. :)

PsychoChimp22
09-30-2004, 12:52 PM
This has probably been brought up, but why was it even removed?

Coventrysucks
09-30-2004, 03:06 PM
This has probably been brought up, but why was it even removed?

That particular topic has been discussed and debated thoroughly in several threads.

Try looking at the Website Discussion threads with names like:
What happened to rep?
Where is rep?
Bring back rep!

Etc, etc.

Esperante
09-30-2004, 05:19 PM
I didn't post in comp 32 because I ran out of time (was 8 hours away from Milwaukee in the Twin Cities) and got back literally 1 minute after the poll started.

GTR Dreamer
10-01-2004, 03:19 PM
so mods, any progress on da situation?

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-11-2004, 05:02 AM
They're not answering...