PDA

View Full Version : Do you Hate Rice Rockets?

mechanixfetch
10-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Do you hate those ugly assed Asian cars out there that look like sh*t and go even slower? I know I do. You've got to have the go to match the show.

quackman
10-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Yes!!!! what I find funny is they put those huge spoilers on, but since it's front wheel drive, it's actually hurting the car's performance/stability at high speed

LEGALLYINSANE
10-11-2003, 07:33 PM
If you hate them so much then why do you call them rockets? Anyways, I really don't car what kind of car other people drive or modify. If it makes them happy, more power to them. I'm not real big on the import scene but what I hate more is people that dispise it. Who cares! Let them do what they want. It's not your money.

DwZX35
10-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by mechanixfetch
Do you hate those ugly assed Asian cars out there that look like sh*t and go even slower? I know I do. You've got to have the go to match the show.

No because they are cheap, light, and easy to tune-up

megotmea7
10-11-2003, 10:45 PM
if you look at every car as a performance car your bound to be disipointed... i say "rice" is an attitude, ppl that dont know and are slow want to look like they know and are fast, so they add "rice" additions to poor unsuspecting econo cars, i hate "rice" the attiyude. i, however, pitty the cars that are affectd by it

Batmobile_Turbo
10-13-2003, 04:35 PM
rice rockets kind of look cool but tuning a civic seems kind of stupid.

sandwich
10-13-2003, 08:19 PM
i love my civic to death. it gets AT LEAST 35 mpg, more when i drive FASTER (95-100 over 300 miles used 8.5 gallons). The car is reliable, doesn't require much maintenance, and is comfortable.

However, I wouldn't put a big spoiler on it. Or ground effects. I'd like to someday turbo it and get some rally gear, maybe, but no, i'm anti-"sport-compact tuner". It's not quite sports cars they're tuning.

So which are you asking? All Civics, or the ones with huge spoilers and speakers?

Egg Nog
10-13-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by DwZX35

However, that's not what "rice" is...

Sure an Integra or something like that may be relatively easy to tune, but that's not what we're talking about. "Rice" is when (rather than "tuning-up"), people put outregeous body kits, huge exhuast tips, bookshelf spoilers, cut springs, and other such things on their cars without touching the actual performance of the car.

"Rice" can also be an attitude. Like saying that because you've just installed a carbon-fibre hood, your stock Civic will now go from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds rather than 9. Or claiming that your new chrome headers and/or exhaust system give you 40 more horsepower.

Imports can be "cheap, light, and easy to tune-up", but that's definately not talking about what makes "rice" ;)

Ghost
10-20-2003, 04:24 AM
why by a an asian import when for a few grand more you can ge yourself a real sports car. An early 70's Porsche 911. This thing already wheighs 2400 pounds adn doesnt take much to get it down to 200. And the engines can handle at least 300+ hp.

megotmea7
10-20-2003, 02:51 PM
why buy that when you could buy a lt1 comaro? why buy that when you could get an old muscle car? it comes down to perference i have "just an import" but i garantee itll waste most of you guys cars and that poscha nad costs less including the reletivly few mods that i have... calling all imports rice is ignorant theres rice then theres the cars and ownrs hat car about their cars, they dont have to nesesaraly be fast but they are tasteful, my car looks stock(right down to the perfectly stock looking twin 3" tip muffler) and in stock form it owns most cars you can throw at it in the same price range and more and thats strait line acceleration put it on a track and watch ferraris get their asses handed to them... calling all cars that come from a particular region rice is as ignorant as me calling all domestic drivers nascar watchin sister loving rednecks

Batmobile_Turbo
10-20-2003, 04:49 PM
i think it's kind of stupid calling them "rice" because not all of the cars your takling about are asian. i've seen a neon with a spoiler and body kit, and it fits your description of "rice rocket" but it's not asian. maybe you could callit a "rice rocket" because lots of people still eat rice in north america.

crisis
10-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Its all about good taste. I prefer a little restraint when it comes to body mods. I think some cars suit spoilers and others dont. I prefer Supras looking standard , maybe lowered a little with big wheels. I think Sylvias look better stock without the rear spoiler but have seen some good heavily modified ones. What looks really shitty is when someone buys a standard family sedan, like a Magna, Commodore, Falcon, Camry, Avalon or even Pulsars etc and then bang a rear spoiler on and leave everything else stock.

Ghost
10-20-2003, 06:20 PM
I paid 12 grand for a 72 911 Rs clone that will whupp anything short of a brand new viper. this car can give all but teh top 5% of sports cars a run for there money. Try getting a camaro to do that.

Egg Nog
10-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Batmobile_Turbo
i think it's kind of stupid calling them "rice" because not all of the cars your takling about are asian. i've seen a neon with a spoiler and body kit, and it fits your description of "rice rocket" but it's not asian. maybe you could callit a "rice rocket" because lots of people still eat rice in north america.

Personally, I think it's gotten to the point where it's lost its original, somewhat racist meaning. If you ask me, that's a good thing. Just for the record, if I ever say rice, I'm referring to any type of car, as long as it fits into the definitions that I posted above.

crisis
10-20-2003, 10:37 PM
Is this

crisis
10-20-2003, 10:37 PM
a RICE version of this?

crisis
10-20-2003, 10:39 PM
Damn page change. Please read the two posts together.

mechanixfetch
10-24-2003, 07:01 PM
Well... that is tough to tell from one picture without knowing what the original is like. Is it factory? lmost nothing factory is "RICE" the body changes are tasteful and the spoiler won't decapitate giraffes when you are on safari so if it does have some performance added to it then I don't determine it as "rice". These are "Rice"

mechanixfetch
10-24-2003, 07:02 PM
And this.

Motorer1
11-03-2003, 12:13 PM
Ricers : no
Drifters: yes

gtface
11-14-2003, 02:54 PM
wow those are without a doubt the two gayest cars in history

NoOne
11-15-2003, 07:49 AM
Absolutely hideous, I'm not a fan of the tuner scene anyways, but I have seen much better body kits than those.

NAZCA C2
01-22-2004, 03:03 PM
I cant stand seeing cars that have huge coffee can exhausts, type-R logos, cheesy wheels, and massive spoilers on the back. Civics, Neons, and Geo Metros are not performance cars, never will be and anybody who thinks they are has obviously been dropped on their head when they were young.

Ghost
01-22-2004, 04:26 PM
yo dog are you serious man you better check the facts a 70s f ucking porsche is too f ucking expensive, besides my boy just bought an 04 viper srt10 and it would shit on your whip

First, if you knew anything about older 911's, there not that expensive, and the car was origanally a 911 T, the cheap one and most of the work was already done to it. And with your kind of vocabulary I would be surprised if your friend could even afford a 70's pinto.

crisis
01-22-2004, 05:37 PM
I am always amused when Lancers, Civics, evne Hyundais pull up next to me with their highly modified exhaust tips and give me a condescending eye. "Huh, wanker in a big V8 thinks he can beat my fast and furious arse eh!" Then when the light changes off they race in a cacophany of spitting 2 litre pistons. " yeah I showed tha MF!". Probably tell their mates how they wasted another V8 Commodore.

bum-man
01-22-2004, 06:10 PM
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1763

NO!

Batmobile_Turbo
01-23-2004, 12:46 AM
I am always amused when Lancers, Civics, evne Hyundais pull up next to me with their highly modified exhaust tips and give me a condescending eye. "Huh, wanker in a big V8 thinks he can beat my fast and furious arse eh!" Then when the light changes off they race in a cacophany of spitting 2 litre pistons. " yeah I showed tha MF!". Probably tell their mates how they wasted another V8 Commodore.
those guys are dumbasses, they put a Nitro tank in their kia sorento and their all set.

white devil
01-23-2004, 10:32 AM
NO!

hahaha :D

could anybody explain what is a rice car or what ever what you call it

ricegangsta04
01-23-2004, 01:23 PM
if you want i'll change my vocabulary. it doesn't matter how i talk it matters what i say. my buddy has a 2004 viper srt 10 and it would kill your car, and if you dont want your car to be killed by a viper you can choose one of his other old school muscle cars.

then you can show me where i can buy a car like yours for 12 g's and i will.

peace

kko
01-23-2004, 02:34 PM
i personaly h8 rice, but love a good 2NR car. One thats acually been TUNED

but neways look at this ricer toy :D

mechanixfetch
01-23-2004, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=then you can show me where i can buy a car like yours for 12 g's and i will. peace[/QUOTE]
Here a 12 500 CDN!! Porsche 911
http://www.buysell.com/results.asp?region=9&qu=Porsche%20911&search=class&id=2146&more=-1&less=-1&prox=NaN&lo=0&la=0&srhIssue=
So there :p Peace

white devil
01-23-2004, 06:33 PM
WHAT is a RICE BURNER anyBODY

Batmobile_Turbo
01-23-2004, 06:50 PM
WHAT is a RICE BURNER anyBODY
a stock civic, neon, or other cheap econo car with a spoiler, or body kit who's performance is unmoddified.

white devil
01-23-2004, 07:24 PM
a stock civic, neon, or other cheap econo car with a spoiler, or body kit who's performance is unmoddified.
ohhh ok thx ..... so it s unmodified but with a spoiler and stufff ... ok thx man

Homem de Gelo
01-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Nah, I have too much on my mind to bother with them. I usually dislike people who don't drive well.

DiabloGTR
01-23-2004, 09:58 PM
Yes, I do! The body kits that people put on the cars are so stupid and pointless, it's not going any faster.
I like tuning Japanese cars for increased engine power, but not the gay body kits. Bigass spoilers and eshaust wont make you go faster, it's just mostly stupidass high school kids who think they are cool and going faster with these stupid body kits.

Ghost
01-24-2004, 09:49 PM
if you want i'll change my vocabulary. it doesn't matter how i talk it matters what i say. my buddy has a 2004 viper srt 10 and it would kill your car, and if you dont want your car to be killed by a viper you can choose one of his other old school muscle cars.

then you can show me where i can buy a car like yours for 12 g's and i will.

peace

i got it on Ebay. Seriously.

SL500
01-25-2004, 01:15 AM
haha,check this out
the ricer theory explained !!

http://www.oneishy.com/mirrored/honduh.php

Batmobile_Turbo
01-25-2004, 12:02 PM
haha,check this out
the ricer theory explained !!

http://www.oneishy.com/mirrored/honduh.php
i think the racing seats that didn't match the interior did the trick :)

ricegangsta04
01-27-2004, 08:09 AM
ok i see then

supakoooz
01-29-2004, 10:18 PM
whats the big deal, they are just cars. some "rice rockets" could woop a stock corvette easily with the right tuning. besides, its a good hobby.

jones.dk
02-02-2004, 09:43 AM
I hate Rice Rockets like hell, because my father owns one ( a Toyota Avensis st.car) and it is so ugly that i can hardly believe it.... and as it wasnt bad enough.... it has a good fuel economy :( :eek: :( :eek: :(

Falcon500
02-02-2004, 03:56 PM
I have already shared my feelings many time on my feelings about ricers. One of the problems they view that FWD is better then RWD, they think that an OHC will automaticly beat a OHV engine because OHV is old skool.
Theirengine mods 9 times out of 10 dobnt not actually help anything (the manditory K&N airfilter and taking the muffler off or adding a tip) and as i said in other forums i like cars like supras ans silvias and stuff they are good cars and in stock form arnt bad looking by any means but its like the 92 silvia i saw drivan by some asain its had a giant alloy spoiler that was level with the roof it was plasterd in stickers dropped on its guts itwould of been bouncing on its rubbers where he cut its springs and its mags looks like shredded tin foil thrown onto the ground and farted as he drove along and had an excending loud blow off valve coupled with a unceiserly thumping stero.
Oh well Nuff said

crisis
02-02-2004, 04:21 PM
I have already shared my feelings many time on my feelings about ricers. One of the problems they view that FWD is better then RWD, they think that an OHC will automaticly beat a OHV engine because OHV is old skool.
Theirengine mods 9 times out of 10 dobnt not actually help anything (the manditory K&N airfilter and taking the muffler off or adding a tip) and as i said in other forums i like cars like supras ans silvias and stuff they are good cars and in stock form arnt bad looking by any means but its like the 92 silvia i saw drivan by some asain its had a giant alloy spoiler that was level with the roof it was plasterd in stickers dropped on its guts itwould of been bouncing on its rubbers where he cut its springs and its mags looks like shredded tin foil thrown onto the ground and farted as he drove along and had an excending loud blow off valve coupled with a unceiserly thumping stero.
Oh well Nuff said
Its all relative. When I was a lad (here we go) you had the same type of thing with XYs and HQs with mags (14" no less), hot dogs, oxy cut front springs and jacked up arse, poor fitting front and rear spoiler (there was generally only one type per car), spiders in resin gear knobs and black painted out headlight surrounds and grille ( I think I am guilty of that). The serious stuff involved Holley carbies. yella terra heads, crane cams, extractors and the usual internal stuff. The trick is to be tasteful. Dont put everything on that you can buy. Thats when you look like everyone else. I always like the subtle approach. Some cars suit certain looks. The S15 Sylvias look better without rear spoilers to me. Just change the wheels as Nissan are stingy with their wheels and tyres. But I have seen some heavily modified S15s which I really like. On th other hand R33s look piss weak standard, again in my opinion. But I have seen good and bad examples of modified ones. In the end RICE is a useful insult but I dont think any modified Jap car should automatically attract the label otherwise you may be as guilty of being as simpistic as the people you accuse.

Matra et Alpine
02-02-2004, 06:00 PM
not actually help anything (the manditory K&N airfilter and taking the muffler off or adding a tip
Agreed with everything else, but not sure if you're grouping the filter and exhaust (muffler!) as the useless.
The reality of small engine emissions maangement is all about restricting air flow and exhaust pulses. So adding a filter and replacing stock with decent multi-branch and expansions box DOES make immediate effect with minimal cost and effort,
Easily adds 10-15 bhp and faster mid range acceleration as the engine breahts better.
Firnds g/f is getting 107bhp measured on the RR last weekend. Up from 100 to spec and 96 measured a few months back.
All for less than 100 quid :)
She's wanting chipped now.....

Matra et Alpine
02-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Its all relative.
Excellent perspective.

:) But wait ... an Aussie talking about taste ? Can't be :) pass us a tinnie !!!!

Falcon500
02-02-2004, 06:21 PM
I always like the subtle approach. Some cars suit certain looks. The S15 Sylvias look better without rear spoilers to me. Just change the wheels as Nissan are stingy with their wheels and tyres. But I have seen some heavily modified S15s which I really like. On th other hand R33s look piss weak standard, again in my opinion. But I have seen good and bad examples of modified ones. In the end RICE is a useful insult but I dont think any modified Jap car should automatically attract the label otherwise you may be as guilty of being as simpistic as the people you accuse.
Well i like the sylvias and dont have a problem the the small rear chin spoilers you see on some. and as i said i like the cars suitubly modified and but im not great fan of most extrior modifcation for example i dont like paintgraphics on any car rember that black commadore on the cover of street machine a fewmonths back? I dont like that car it dispalys many aspectsof what i would classify rice and the fact its nothing that special the blower doesnt compliment the car and as i said about the graphics.
And also i refer to cars like supras and stuff either stock or modified with a less is more matra for the extrior are what i refer to as imports notricers there is a huge diffrence to me.
Well bad taste has been around for sometime but at least your car would actually stir somthing more then "ahhh fooly syk maaaaaaaate" i totallyagree with some bad taste eg the CLUBSPO commadore VR acclaim i have talked about in other threads. And btw ilike them spider gear knobs :D
And for the Air filter i dont doubt they do actually add somthing to a car but it doesnt turn your car into a formula one car like most of the genuine ricerswould have you believe ;)

Matra et Alpine
02-02-2004, 06:34 PM
And for the Air filter i dont doubt they do actually add somthing to a car but it doesnt turn your car into a formula one car like most of the genuine ricerswould have you believe ;)
Agreed.

Best one was when I was talking to one of these guys and he had all the shiny bits on the engine.
He 'explained' to me that the polished inlet manifold and head made it more powerful. When I asked him a bit more he got quite annoyed and told me I knew nothing and that he'd read it in magazines and books about tuning.
I pointed out he should maybe have read more than the introduction because you polished and ported the INSIDE of the manifolds and head. He walked away very embarrased to join his 'mates' - no doubt saying how I was an old fart and talked sh*t :)

Smokescreen
02-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Ricers suck. Pure and Simple. They're just ugly. Most of them are built(snapped together) for the quarter, where the areo kits are worthless. If you're looking for strait line performance, we do have muslcecars, ya know. Stick to Rally and Bikes, Japan.

Matra et Alpine
02-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Ricers suck. Pure and Simple. They're just ugly. Most of them are built(snapped together) for the quarter, where the areo kits are worthless. If you're looking for strait line performance, we do have muslcecars, ya know. Stick to Rally and Bikes, Japan.
What is it with you guys :)
Roads have corners.
The best roads have FANTASTIC sweepign corners.
Straightline speed is GREAT for drag strips.
Why is it so black and white.
They're for different purposes.

crisis
02-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Agreed.

Best one was when I was talking to one of these guys and he had all the shiny bits on the engine.
He 'explained' to me that the polished inlet manifold and head made it more powerful. When I asked him a bit more he got quite annoyed and told me I knew nothing and that he'd read it in magazines and books about tuning.
I pointed out he should maybe have read more than the introduction because you polished and ported the INSIDE of the manifolds and head. He walked away very embarrased to join his 'mates' - no doubt saying how I was an old fart and talked sh*t :)
Polished heads! laughed out with extreme volume. The only way to verify modifications is by dyno before and after. You ruined this idiots day. He was probably going around telling everyone how much faster it felt before you shit on his parade. 1 point for being such a killjoy.

crisis
02-02-2004, 11:06 PM
The use of the word suck or any of its derivatives when used in the context X sucks etc will from this day forth invoke a 1 point penalty where found.
By order of self appointed vocabulary police constable Crisis.

Egg Nog
02-02-2004, 11:24 PM
The use of the word suck or any of its derivatives when used in the context X sucks etc will from this day forth invoke a 1 point penalty where found.
By order of self appointed vocabulary police constable Crisis.

Lately, joining me in my quest, you've totally been laying down the law. This is awesome. I'll co-sign with the above, at least to a certain extent. Vaccuums are kosher. ;)

+1 as soon as it'll let me again.

DodgeNitroBIRM
02-02-2004, 11:39 PM
Me, personally, if It has wheels, an engine and something similar to a body, I'm into it. I'll look at an import as quickly as I would a hotrod, a hotrod as quickly as I'll look at a motorcycle, a motorcycle as quickly as I would a truck, and a truck as quickly as a ... well,... golfcart. Like I said, I like anything with wheels, something similar to a body, and an engine. The only time I'll hate something like an Import is when a guy or girl with the intellengence about his/her car as the ground clearence of their car. That, and street racers bother me. Doing something like that to have a "rush" while endangering others is just plain, flat out, stupid and should never be condoned! Geez, I'm starting to sound like an old fart and I'm only 19. 0_0-weird...

crisis
02-02-2004, 11:52 PM
Lately, joining me in my quest, you've totally been laying down the law. This is awesome. I'll co-sign with the above, at least to a certain extent. Vaccuums are kosher. ;)

+1 as soon as it'll let me again.
I have a new calling. together we can all make a difference.

crisis
02-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Excellent perspective.

:) But wait ... an Aussie talking about taste ? Can't be :) pass us a tinnie !!!!
The most tasteful thing the English have done is sell their car companies overseas.

Matra et Alpine
02-04-2004, 04:35 AM
The most tasteful thing the English have done is sell their car companies overseas.
Nice one :)

I'm Scottish, so ... do you think I care about English car compaies ?

We're the rugby ( and soccer ) fans who will support Scotland first and whoever England is playing against second :)

crisis
02-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Nice one :)

I'm Scottish, so ... do you think I care about English car compaies ?

We're the rugby ( and soccer ) fans who will support Scotland first and whoever England is playing against second :)
There, we have something in common. Some of my ancestors are Scottish.

NoOne
02-05-2004, 08:20 AM
There, we have something in common. Some of my ancestors are Scottish.
Let me guess ...Too damn cheap to pay for a return ticket? :D

crisis
02-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Let me guess ...Too damn cheap to pay for a return ticket? :D
Then there is my English grandmother, Portugese/South African grandfather and another grandma with long pommy roots. Im a bit of a mongrel. woof.

Falcon500
02-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Agreed.

Now that was funny! reminds me of how i was talking to one guy about his honda somthing i cant rember what and hes telling me this and that and it had somthing like 240hp so i asked about the torque and he looked at me like i i said somthing urely shocking/stupid (too late i cant think up anything witty :o ) and he just said torque? what do i need that for i just scratched my 3 day old stubble and said indeed and walked off :D
Also keep and eye on the autmotive idiot storys i have a pearler to tell yous about from yahoo the other day ;)

cls12vg30
02-10-2004, 02:18 PM
The ricers are getting really bad even on the East Coast of the U.S., it's not just a Cali problem anymore. And they are by no means confined to Japanese cars anymore. Whether it's a Civic, a Hyundai, or a Cavalier, rice is rice, as is illustrated here:
Riceboy page (http://www.riceboypage.com)
I don't say rice to refer to tuned cars, be they turboed Civics or S13 drift machines. Rice to me refers to things such as
-fart can exhausts,
-stickers advertising imaginary racing teams or parts vendors whose parts are nowhere to be found on the car
-Wheels more than 4 inches larger in diameter than originally came on the car.
-superfluous lighting, i.e. interior or undercar neon tubes, or LED's wherever they can stick them.
-A-pillar gauge pods which lack actual useful gauges
-single wiper conversions that just lay in the middle of the windshield when off
-Aluminum or fiberglass wings and bodykits which do nothing but weigh the car down
-Badging which does not belong on the car, examples I have seen include fake Civic or Prelude Type-R's, Cavalier Type-R, Neon GT-R, Mustang GT-R, and Corolla SE-R.

As for Japanese cars themselves, I'm a huge fan. Some true performance cars have come out of Japan, but they are more known for the more economical products. I'm especially an aficionado of Japanese imports from the '70s and '80s (so long as one lives in a rust-free climate).
The main reason why I choose to drive a Japanese car is that I have little interest in owning a car which I do not honestly believe can exceed 200,000 miles of service and still be reliable. The car makers which in my experience have consistently proven capable of producing cars of this calibre that are also easily affordable are Nissan, Honda, and Toyota.

crisis
02-10-2004, 04:25 PM
The main reason why I choose to drive a Japanese car is that I have little interest in owning a car which I do not honestly believe can exceed 200,000 miles of service and still be reliable. The car makers which in my experience have consistently proven capable of producing cars of this calibre that are also easily affordable are Nissan, Honda, and Toyota.
Personally I wouldnt want to drive anything with that work on the clock but I take your point.

Batmobile_Turbo
03-18-2004, 07:10 PM
ricers are the kind of people who drive on the streets like they are racing on a track, i saw one guy who was trying to race with an old honda that had no performance mods. ricers are not only cars they are the people who drive them, they take econoboxes and put nitro and a spoiler, and then they say, "ima beat them bizniches wif duh sport carz" but if they actually took their econoboxes and put some performance into them they would be able to beat other cars and have respectable car.

MikeMcLarenF1
03-20-2004, 01:28 AM
Ok well I use one main rule for classifying rice... "When a car is made to TRY and look faster than they actually can go." Take a Escudo Pike's Peak for example. IF it didnt have a 1000hp potential and it only went as fast as a impreza... It wud be concidered the EXTREME rice. but since it does what it claims to do, we are left speechless. :cool:

motorsportnerd
03-20-2004, 06:14 AM
And this.

That's one of the uglist and most pointless modified cars I've ever seen. Definitely "rice". And completed misses the point of what a Lexus LS400 is really all about - luxury.

motorsportnerd
03-20-2004, 06:18 AM
I cant stand seeing cars that have huge coffee can exhausts, type-R logos, cheesy wheels, and massive spoilers on the back. Civics, Neons, and Geo Metros are not performance cars, never will be and anybody who thinks they are has obviously been dropped on their head when they were young.

I think that the Civic Type-R qualifies as a performance car, even if lower range Civics don't.

MikeMcLarenF1
03-20-2004, 02:50 PM
yeah...... but the reason why Civic is referred to is because REAL Type-R's usually tends to stay clean..... it's nearly always the civic DX's and Si's ruining the civic image.....

gtface
03-21-2004, 03:04 AM
Another thing ive noticed about ricers is a lot of them claim to have gotten increases of 20 hp or more out of a cold air intake kit. In reality youd be lucky to get 5 hp out of those things.

Falcon500
03-21-2004, 03:28 AM
And the reason for that...thats what it says on the box...much like the reason they tend to listen to rap and shit they are easily bought by advertising...

MikeMcLarenF1
03-21-2004, 12:12 PM
*sigh* ricers..... when will they learn.....

ZerK
03-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Hate hate hate! All show, no go vehicles like 95% of all bodykitted cars out there should be burnt. The owners who think that the fake roof scoop, NOS stickers and dodgy bodykit make their pileofshite cars fast, powerful, and so on, should be burnt along with their vehicles.

Cars which have go to match the show can be pretty cool though, like D1 drift cars and the (very rare) subtle bodykits you come across can actually make cars look good.

Ferrari Tifosi
03-21-2004, 09:51 PM

I have no problem with people modifying asian cars, its these dang civics with huge, useless rear wings and big fart can exhaust tips that serve no purpose that annoy me.

F50
03-23-2004, 04:06 AM
Ok so far i agree with everything that has been said. Some bloke near my house owns a really nice supra, well it was really nice. He recently put flame vinyls and manufacturer stickers on the sides. He also put a spoiler that looks like the wing off a fighter jet. In saying this though many people cannot afford to modify their cars performance wise, so making them look fast is the only option. I myself would never put stickers all over my car. the most i would do would be a nice exhaust, nice non-chrome rims and maybe a small spoiler.

Also what exactly do carbon fiber hoods do? Are they just lighter or what?

KnifeEdge_2K1
03-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Yeah they're lighter and lower the center of gravity ... but in practice the gain is so small its insignificant. The biggest factor in performance is the driver. Body kits may be a waste of money but some people have alot of money to waste. Critizizing someone for having a huge spoiler is just ignorant. Can you blame someone for wanting his civic to be different then the rest of the civics around him? If you say yes then you are no better then those 12 year old ranters on the forums. I seriously doubt any of you here are good enough drivers where you can push your car to the limit where performance cars actually start to make a difference

mechanixfetch
03-27-2004, 12:34 PM
I have no problem with people modifying asian cars, its these dang civics with huge, useless rear wings and big fart can exhaust tips that serve no purpose that annoy me.
I think that pretty much sums up the opinion of one camp in this thread. Well put +1

crisis
03-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Yeah they're lighter and lower the center of gravity ... but in practice the gain is so small its insignificant. The biggest factor in performance is the driver. Body kits may be a waste of money but some people have alot of money to waste. Critizizing someone for having a huge spoiler is just ignorant. Can you blame someone for wanting his civic to be different then the rest of the civics around him? If you say yes then you are no better then those 12 year old ranters on the forums. I seriously doubt any of you here are good enough drivers where you can push your car to the limit where performance cars actually start to make a difference
You started off pretty well but I think Matra might teach you a thing or two about pushing cars to the limit.

Matra et Alpine
03-28-2004, 06:24 PM
You started off pretty well but I think Matra might teach you a thing or two about pushing cars to the limit.
Gee thanks :) .......
Praise just makes me feel guilty and have to admit the mistakes along the way ....
Turn away those who've seen this already.
I can't look again :(
>100mph after Paddock Hill Bend at Brands Hatch at the end of a tiring track day.

crisis
03-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Praise just makes me feel guilty and have to admit the mistakes along the way ....
>100mph after Paddock Hill Bend at Brands Hatch at the end of a tiring track day.
Looks as though you found the limit.

Matra et Alpine
03-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Looks as though you found the limit.
Couple of hours work in the pits and I was back on the road to drive back to Scotland :)

Batmobile_Turbo
03-28-2004, 08:21 PM
are you in that picture?

Matra et Alpine
03-29-2004, 03:10 AM
are you in that picture?
No, I'm hiding my embarrasment by staying behind the camera.
Luckily the video tape in the camera had just raun out :)

junaman
04-11-2004, 08:55 PM
I absolutely despise them.
It makes people think that they are good but they are actually really bad Brings shame to good European cars

HBloverb18
04-12-2004, 07:42 PM
European? Rice = Asian import so i dunno how it brings shame to euro's? Yea most peopel in hear understand the rice concept. DOnt be confused either not all asian cars are riced out and most that drive ones that are done right despise the riced out hondas acuras...etc. I know myself I am a diehard Honda lover but i find myself hating honda after honda after honda in my town because of what people do to them. Oversized wings, gaudy body kits, chrome wheels, altezza tails are all what i consider ricey.

HBloverb18
04-12-2004, 07:50 PM
I was wonderin if you guys would give me your opinion on what i plan to do to my honda and tell me if you consider it ricey. Take a 92 honda hatchback (personally the only body styler I like and cheap) and swap in a b18c1 (gsr) motor for under 5 k. Add some 16" lightweight rims,new struts and springs, strut bars. Then beef up the motor with new pistons, rings, cams, rods, retainers, valves and valve springs, new sleeves, injectors, fuel rail, intake manifold, bigger throttle body, underdrive pullys, oil pan, clutch, and a turbo kit with t3/t4 turbo, 4-1 manifold with tial wastegate, hks s.s. bov, spearco large front mount intercooler, Vortech F.P.R, Downpipe with hi-flow cat to apexi n1 exhaust. Also miscellanious things like short shifter, racing seats and harness's, (If i have the extra 500 a Nitrous express N-tercooler kit). Wow ive typed soo much sorry but for looks (the main point) the rims, Carbon fiber hood, and front lip spoiler, and carbon fiber spoon wing? would this be a ricey car?

eyebrows
04-12-2004, 08:28 PM
ok lets say we get a 300sx. we change the efi chip add a turbo lower it by half an inch and change the entire exhaust system and it doesn't fart as it goes by is that a ricer? because the way u've made a ricer out to be is a small pos with an exhaust tips, stickers, spoilers that are taller than a person and cromed rims that send ppl blind (in short a bunch of shit that does just that shit) :p

HBloverb18
04-12-2004, 08:50 PM
a 300sx is hard to make ricey, but the one you explained is def. not ricey since all the mods have good reason behind them

Egg Nog
04-12-2004, 09:10 PM
I was wonderin if you guys would give me your opinion on what i plan to do to my honda and tell me if you consider it ricey. Take a 92 honda hatchback (personally the only body styler I like and cheap) and swap in a b18c1 (gsr) motor for under 5 k.......................

If that's the type of car that you like, then go for it... I have two suggestions though:

1) Don't bother with body mods. Get some subtle rims with high-performance tires. Also, get a fairly subdued-sounding exhaust. After all is done, you should have a very nice sleeper. Trust me, with so many lame kitted Civics out there, a sleeper is your best bet for originality. Moreover, it's cheaper.

2) Buy the car, and drive it stock for a while. In the mean time, find the engine you want, and build it up. It's a hell of a lot cheaper this way, especially if you can do the work yourself. A buddy and I will be doing this with a MK1 MR2...leaving the car as-is while we build up a supercharged unit by ourselves.

HBloverb18
04-12-2004, 09:49 PM
Yea well the exterior mods are pretty modest just the lip fo rmore downforce on the front and the hood to lighten up the front a little and looks, thats only like 400 bucks and on a black car looks near stock anyway so keeps th esleeper status, and yea the rims are gonan be 16x7 rota lightweight rims around 11-12 pounds and ill wrap thme in falken rubber. As for the motor yea the b18c1 is the motor Im gettin for sure.

HBloverb18
04-12-2004, 09:52 PM

360GTC
04-13-2004, 03:32 PM
what the? whats a rice car? ill give anyone who can tell me a rep point so tell me

carlover
04-13-2004, 03:45 PM
what the? whats a rice car? ill give anyone who can tell me a rep point so tell me
You can't give anyone a point but I'll tell you anyways. A ricer is someone who takes a car and adds pointless bodykits, decals,vinyl, rims and other nonsence without doing anything to the car's performance except slow it down because of the weight of these items. In other words, a loser. :p

eyebrows
04-13-2004, 11:29 PM
You can't give anyone a point but I'll tell you anyways. A ricer is someone who takes a car and adds pointless bodykits, decals,vinyl, rims and other nonsence without doing anything to the car's performance except slow it down because of the weight of these items. In other words, a loser. :p

unfair.... i explain it on the last page :p ... and just to note there note all losers their just dumb they don't know shit about cars :p

SilverG35SportC
04-16-2004, 04:56 PM
I personal DESPISE ricers and they hjow they think their cars are so special and good. Here are afew sites to make you laugh. One has already been posted in another forum. http://www.riceboypage.com/index.html and

http://pub126.ezboard.com/ffordsperformancefalconsforumfrm1.showMessage?topi cID=2853.topic those sites are funny.

SilverG35SportC
04-16-2004, 04:58 PM
I would put the images but they are all the same HTML code. Go to rice on the streets to see the pics.

MrVette83
04-16-2004, 05:51 PM
Yes, I do hate rice rockets I will admitt that. But I don't dis-like Asian cars. I just hate it when people do dumb things to them. Wings, exhaust, body kits etc. that stuff is just stupid.

KnifeEdge_2K1
04-21-2004, 07:46 PM
wow i have 1 word to describe u idiots
ignorant, you people think you know everything when half of you are probably 12 and cant drive, in fact ur parents probably dont let you sit in the front.
just because you guys are obsessed with 0-60s and 1/4 mile times doesnt mean everyone is, besides the single most significant part in an automobile is the driver, DUH
for the love of god if its not ur car why the hell should u care?
they add a spoiler on a civic and u get mad ??? WTF ??? go cry about it

and for the record no amount of mods can significantly hinder a car's performance, ooo the rear spoiler adds too much downforce on the back? its too heavy? well first of all most 3rd party wings dont add downforce they just reduce lift, there IS a difference. second they dont weigh that much so it wont hinder the power to weight ratio as much as ... say ... a 200 pound lard ass american who thinks he knows all that.

MrVette83
04-21-2004, 07:57 PM
wow i have 1 word to describe u idiots
ignorant.

Hey man, I can appreciate performance enhancing mods as much as you. The ones that I hate are for example the other day I saw a gen 2 Eclipse with an aftermarket spoiler on it, not too bad I don't guess in and of itself, except it was mounted on the factory spoiler in one place(it was one meant to mount flush to the deck lid all the way across but the curvature of the OE spoiler only gave it one mounting area). On top of this as I followed him down the road it bounced and wobbled side to side. But the best performance feature on this car were the little bitty one inch flames he had on the front fenders and bumper. It's cars like this that bug me, yes, I admit, it's not my car, let him do what he wants, it's just that the people like that give the ones with actual performance mods a bad name. My appologies for my excessive rant.

KnifeEdge_2K1
04-21-2004, 08:14 PM
lol mine was actually longer :P
like if it was wobbling and there was a chance it would fall off and hit ur car, yeah THATS bad but otherwise who cares right? the loud exhausts and the subwoofers are the only things that piss me off though (i'm guilty of being a lil ignorant myself)

some of them are so loud i wonder if they're under the legal db limit. like i am only 16 and ive driven for only about 2-3 months and just gettin the hang of it, when i hear a loud ga ga ga ga BANG then BOOM BOOM BOOM of a guy's insanely loud stereo system i cant help but want to ask my brother to take the wheel while i roll down the window and flip the guy off
yesterday i almost got into a car crash since this guy was so unaware of his surroundings he almost rear ended me at an intersection into the oncoming traffic (if only cars came with james bond style equipment ... send a HEAT right up his ass)

MrVette83
04-21-2004, 08:17 PM
Yeah exactly, and on the loud exhaust thing, I'm not in favor of, but I heard a quote that made sense the other day, "Loud exhausts save lives". In short, if you hear it coming, you're gonna know it's there.

KnifeEdge_2K1
04-21-2004, 08:40 PM
never looked at it that way b4, cool :D

Matra et Alpine
04-21-2004, 08:50 PM
..and for the record no amount of mods can significantly hinder a car's performance, ooo the rear spoiler adds too much downforce on the back? its too heavy? well first of all most 3rd party wings dont add downforce they just reduce lift, there IS a difference. second they dont weigh that much so it wont hinder the power to weight ratio as much as ... say ... a 200 pound lard ass american who thinks he knows all that.
I'll pass on your greater expertise on the last part :)

BUT, on spoilers, of course they can make performance worse.
They can induce HUGE drag.
Not becuase of their size - that only adds a small amount, but they can cause turbulence behind them which breaks the efforts the original designer went to to have smooth air flow off the rear of the car. THAT turbulence can cause significant drag. at it's worst it produces a much greater partial vacuum behind the vehicle. That vacuum draws air in but also applieds a force pulling the car BACK into the same vacuum.

I love the don't add downforce versus reduce lift.
At the end tit assists in producing a downward vector.
Whther it is by true downforce or by breaking air flow, the nett result IS the same.

Front splitters ARE significant in controlling air flow UNDER the car which can cause turbulence and a nasty mix of positive and negative ( compression lift and Bernoulli forces ).

When you look at after-market wings for the boy-racers, there is a big difference between those on real race and rally cars. Most significantly the chord of the wing and the angle of attack are usually configured to be neutral. So it does NOTHING :)

Goes well with the last 4 inches of big fat exhaust pipe :) :)

crisis
04-21-2004, 11:21 PM
and for the record no amount of mods can significantly hinder a car's performance, ooo the rear spoiler adds too much downforce on the back? its too heavy? well first of all most 3rd party wings dont add downforce they just reduce lift, there IS a difference. second they dont weigh that much so it wont hinder the power to weight ratio as much as ... say ... a 200 pound lard ass american who thinks he knows all that.
Your point about spoilers is fairly sound in the case of the type of "low performance" vehicles we are discussing. They generally dont develop enough hp to create the speed to make aerodynamic aids or hindrances make any difference.
I rekon that you probably could, on the other hand, add enough weight by additional mods to hinder the performance. Try 30kg of car stereo gear (which I am all for), front, rear and side spoilers/skirts, huge mufflers, gauges and associated rear view mirror ornaments and you could probably get near the weight of an additional passenger. (not in my case though). You should go well with that comment about the Americans though.

bk4uyeah
05-17-2004, 05:53 PM

I hate when the money goes into asthetics (spoiler, body kit, window tinting, etc.) when the engine cant back in up. If the enginge has the power, i dont mind them

Sweeney921
05-17-2004, 07:07 PM
this sums up just about everything i hate about rice:
http://maddox.xmission.com/civic.html

KnifeEdge_2K1
05-17-2004, 09:02 PM
mother F***ing piece of shit ... this thread is so F***ing old. People can do whatever they want to their cars, DEAL WITH IT, u get pissed seeing a modded civic that wont perform any better than a stock one? GO CRY TO YOUR MOMMY U INFANTILE PUNK. Geez, so what if people wanna do that to their car ... it's THEIR CAR. I musta said this like 50 times already but it seems that you childish morons with the iq of a tree and a skull as think as armor plating CANT SEEM TO UNDERSTAND ENGLISH.

crisis
05-18-2004, 12:37 AM
mother F***ing piece of shit ... this thread is so F***ing old. People can do whatever they want to their cars, DEAL WITH IT, u get pissed seeing a modded civic that wont perform any better than a stock one? GO CRY TO YOUR MOMMY U INFANTILE PUNK. Geez, so what if people wanna do that to their car ... it's THEIR CAR. I musta said this like 50 times already but it seems that you childish morons with the iq of a tree and a skull as think as armor plating CANT SEEM TO UNDERSTAND ENGLISH.
Take a pill. The name of this thread is "do you hate rice rockets?". While I agree with your sentiment that ultimately everyone is entitled to do what they want to their car, similarly everyone is entitled to their opinion of this type of modification. You either care or dont. If you dont, dont keep reading the thread. Its a nonsense thread that should not be take too seriously.

Falcon500
05-18-2004, 05:20 AM
You said a lot in this post crisis but i have a few bits to add.....personally i think that this subject is rather popular...and as you said people have their own opions and are freely aloud to state them...and with this being a rather popular subject reviving this thread saves them the efferot of actually makeing a new thread that follows the same lines....so in this case I am not going to complain about posting in this one....

And knife edge as crisis said take a pill your complaining about someone dislikeing kinds of modifactions on a car where you on the other hand is treating a new post on this thread like its a huuuuuge deal....prehaps you should take your own advice and try crying to your mother....you must have the iq of a glass of water and a skull made out of Ironbark....you dont seem to get the fact that A) your opions differ from other people and no matter what can and in most cases will state them and B) You makeing digs at a persons credability on a thread about stateing your opions really lowers the tone of the subject and doesnt speak highly of yourself....the profanitys and digs where not neciscery!

-Nick

Esperante
05-18-2004, 06:29 AM
Is this
That's an Australian Holden, a hell of a lot better than that Japan crap.

thetruelogger
05-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Anything is better than a jap car

crisis
05-18-2004, 06:27 PM
That's an Australian Holden, a hell of a lot better than that Japan crap.
Snaps to Esperante for reading the entire thread. Whew. I love those things but it incorporates a lot of body mods which I thought begged the question. Is a HSV, AC Schnitzer, AMG rice if body mods define rice?

Niko_Fx
05-18-2004, 06:42 PM

Oh ok buddy.

Egg Nog
05-18-2004, 06:55 PM

-1, for being an ignorant prick.

Mind you, I don't have anything against you not liking Japanese cars.

What's looked down upon more around here is that you didn't give any reasons why. Before I go ahead and write an essay post, I'm just going to leave it at that. It doesn't seem worth the effort.

KnifeEdge_2K1
05-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Take a pill. The name of this thread is "do you hate rice rockets?". While I agree with your sentiment that ultimately everyone is entitled to do what they want to their car, similarly everyone is entitled to their opinion of this type of modification. You either care or dont. If you dont, dont keep reading the thread. Its a nonsense thread that should not be take too seriously.

agreed, at the time of this writing I was really wast... les just leave it at that :P
I totally agree with you that everyone is entitled to their own opinion (thats what this country is about right?) but then again everyone is once in a while entitled to a swift kick up the arse (again .. also what this country is about). while everyone's can have an opinion, i strongly believe that they must back up their reasoning with at the least a sliver of evidence, instead of a kindergarden type reply (it is cuz i say it is).

proof that light is faster than sound ... people usually appear bright until they open their mouths ...

thetruelogger
05-18-2004, 08:46 PM
Here are a couple things that I view and i should have stated them, I do like the skyline and supram and stuff but where i live a lot of the ricers run there mouth to me and they also cant back it up when it does come to a race i have a 65 mustang with a recently built 302 pushing 421 horsepower at the rear wheels and that is normaly apriated I also had paid about 5 grand for the whole setup i.e. forged rods, pistons..........valve springs tops out around 8,000 revs, aluminum heads headers, beefed up cam, 4 bbl carb, manifoldyou get the point and here it gets to a point were you get so fed up with all the non-sense talk about this stuff. I know its there car and they can do what they want to it and talk all they want but that does not make it right. So yes i am a little bit ingornant and biased but I was grown into it. I have respect for people who do things right and if you can get a supra to do 1,200 hp and still be street leagal hats off i am impressed. But over all it is more talk than action where i am at. Also i should calirfy I don't have a problem with stock rice burners but when people get into all these stickers and wings (which don't work until a 120 mph) and run a 50 shot and call it fast im not impressed and that is what it is around smaller citys of oregon. Sorry for the mix-up.

crisis
05-19-2004, 12:11 AM
Here are a couple things that I view and i should have stated them, I do like the skyline and supram and stuff but where i live a lot of the ricers run there mouth to me and they also cant back it up when it does come to a race i have a 65 mustang with a recently built 302 pushing 421 horsepower at the rear wheels and that is normaly apriated I also had paid about 5 grand for the whole setup i.e. forged rods, pistons..........valve springs tops out around 8,000 revs, aluminum heads headers, beefed up cam, 4 bbl carb, manifoldyou get the point and here it gets to a point were you get so fed up with all the non-sense talk about this stuff. I know its there car and they can do what they want to it and talk all they want but that does not make it right. So yes i am a little bit ingornant and biased but I was grown into it. I have respect for people who do things right and if you can get a supra to do 1,200 hp and still be street leagal hats off i am impressed. But over all it is more talk than action where i am at. Also i should calirfy I don't have a problem with stock rice burners but when people get into all these stickers and wings (which don't work until a 120 mph) and run a 50 shot and call it fast im not impressed and that is what it is around smaller citys of oregon. Sorry for the mix-up.
Good answer. I have reinstated your points for what its worth. Yes fanboys are annoying in their own petty way. The enshrinement of the hallowed R33/4 makes it hard to admit to liking them (which I do) in mixed company. Your car sounds cool. A picture as well as the obligatory EggNog picture of a peice of paper with your name pinned to the gear knob would be nice.

cls12vg30
05-19-2004, 06:19 AM
So we're going to hate all Japanese cars because riceboys have bad attitudes. Never mind the fact that Toyota, Honda, and Nissan have been consistently building cars of superior quality, engineering, and durability since the '70s. Not to say that there haven't been some standout American and European cars that have had excellent longevity, the Chrysler 318's and Slant Sixes and, later, GM 4.3 V6's have been capable of spinning their odometers well above 200,000 miles. Of course some VW's and many Volvo's have been extremely durable as well. But with those three companies from Japan, cars that are still going after 200,000 miles seem to be the rule rather than the exception. I personally have taken 3 cars up over 200K, two Nissans and a Honda.

thetruelogger
05-19-2004, 07:21 AM
"A picture as well as the obligatory EggNog picture of a peice of paper with your name pinned to the gear knob would be nice."

I am getting a digital camera soon so I will have pics

fiat850
03-11-2005, 10:25 AM
yea i hate hondas sooooo much if u were to buy a car for 10,000 - 15,000 and then tune it for another 15 or or 20 for that price u can get a really good car and put like 5 g's in it. instead of gettin a honda for 30k u can buy a bmw for 25K and then tune it for another 5 g's and it will most likely BE better! and it will LOOK better also :)

6'bore
03-11-2005, 10:41 AM
yea i hate hondas sooooo much if u were to buy a car for 10,000 - 15,000 and then tune it for another 15 or or 20 for that price u can get a really good car and put like 5 g's in it. instead of gettin a honda for 30k u can buy a bmw for 25K and then tune it for another 5 g's and it will most likely BE better! and it will LOOK better also :)

Im beggining to hate you, stop digging up old threads, now.

KnifeEdge_2K1
03-11-2005, 11:13 AM

dude have you no idea how stupid u look right now?

onyx8323
03-11-2005, 12:45 PM
I'll have to admit it. I like some of those "ricers'" out there, but some of the kids that drive them just don't understand that when they challenge a '71 Chevelle with a 454 big block, they are gonna lose. A lot of those people think they can beat anything and I can't stand that. Sometimes people work on the looks and don't even touch the performance, but I still have to give them thumbs up for at least making it look nice and putting forth the effort. A lot of people get a plain car and automatically think they can take anyone. I don't like the huge spoilers though. I think they look better with smaller ones. Some people don't care about racing, they just want their car to stand out and I'm not going to judge them because of that. Most of them do want to race though, and they don't understand that when you add a body kit, a huge wing, and a fart cannon that makes it sound like a glorified lawnmower, it doesn't gain 100 horsepower from it.

fiat850
03-11-2005, 04:48 PM
yeah i agree with u. i think makin a car look flashy is stupid. i mean like u can but some nice rims and a nice exahust but F$%k those body-kits shit. instead of makin cars look nice make them go Better! if they make it flashy but dont do much to the engine they are ricers. they only started to make their cars look co0l because they saw it on fast and the furious. i dont like ricers

6'bore
03-12-2005, 04:51 AM
yeah i agree with u. i think makin a car look flashy is stupid. i mean like u can but some nice rims and a nice exahust but F$%k those body-kits shit. instead of makin cars look nice make them go Better! if they make it flashy but dont do much to the engine they are ricers. they only started to make their cars look co0l because they saw it on fast and the furious. i dont like ricers

Im begging you to stop before you make even more of an ass out of yourself, and you've also dug up a stupid thread, which I now hate you for

quattro_20v
03-13-2005, 04:12 AM
If I had the money I would do a few changes to my car, but just lower it maybe nicer wheels, nicer exhaust(no it's not a 4 banger) and another color. I already have a spoiler but it was standard on the car and its like 5 cm high. And if I had even more money I would also do an engine swap I guess... and the mods to make the extra hp/torque work without breaking my car.

fiat850
03-14-2005, 06:02 AM
yea i agree dont buy crappy body kits go for perfromance