PDA

View Full Version : srt10 sidepipes

thinker
09-27-2004, 12:20 AM
everyone knows that the sidepipes of the srt10 make the interior extremely hot when driving...out of curiosity, is this problem in other cars with sidepipes too?

jcp123
09-27-2004, 12:50 AM
well i know i burned my leg on some sidepipes on a corvette when i was about 5...

cuntukimushroom
09-27-2004, 06:50 AM
dont know bout that but they will look good on my VW

Sweeney921
09-27-2004, 09:26 AM
dont know bout that but they will look good on my VWor your SLR ;)

cuntukimushroom
09-27-2004, 09:42 AM
heehee yeah but ill stand with the VW

thinker
09-27-2004, 11:08 PM
lol wow, this thread got absolutely nowhere

thinker
10-02-2004, 10:43 PM
anyone know how they would compare to a shelby cobra's sidepipes in terms of sound?

jcp123
10-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Well V10's don't have the wonderful harmonics of a V8, but aside from that, they'd have the same characteristics, seeing as how most sidepipes are of pretyt similar construction.

But there's a lot of other x-factors that decide sound, such as camshaft profiles, port sizes, etc...

Viper007
10-03-2004, 01:27 PM
here ya go the sound of the viper click on the interactive site here (http://www.dodge.com/viper/index.html?context=homepage_flash&type=vehicleNav)

thinker
10-04-2004, 09:17 PM
here ya go the sound of the viper click on the interactive site here (http://www.dodge.com/viper/index.html?context=homepage_flash&type=vehicleNav)
sounds like a fierce rumble :cool:

thinker
10-05-2004, 04:08 PM
how do u guys think the sound of the viper compares to other v8's such as the corvette zo6?

Slicks
10-05-2004, 05:03 PM
how do u guys think the sound of the viper compares to other v8's such as the corvette zo6?
Personally i prefer the deep grumble of a V8 to a stock exhaust note of the V10 Viper. But after some exhaust mods those V10 can sound pretty damn good.

thinker
10-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Personally i prefer the deep grumble of a V8 to a stock exhaust note of the V10 Viper. But after some exhaust mods those V10 can sound pretty damn good.
Would you happen to have any sound clips for those modded v10's that you're talking about?

F1_Master
10-05-2004, 06:43 PM
A little unknown thing.
When the RT/10 came out, it changed alot from its concept.
The concept was made of steel (or was it metaL?) One of those two, sry. Anyways, if that concept had been released has a production model, no one would hardly drive it. Why? The car was designed for racing, and it was discovered that when pushed to high speeds, your feet could become extremely hot. The models now are or where should I say, where built out of carbon fiber. The car was also changed.

whiteballz
10-05-2004, 06:52 PM
last i checked steel was a metal...

and WHERE are these vipers that WERE?

jcp123
10-05-2004, 08:58 PM

Never been a fan of the V10 sound myself.

thinker
10-07-2004, 09:29 PM
do u think that the zo6 or the srt-10 better epitomizes the new age american muscle car?

jcp123
10-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Neither is really a muscle car, muscle cars are cheap 4-seaters - these are expensive 2 seaters, and sports cars at that. Think of it this way: It's just like when a girl grows up with a lot of brothers, she gets tomboyish as her siblings attutudes rub off on her. That's what she grew up with.

These are sports cars that grew up in companies that specialized in muscle cars, so naturally that kind of attitude rubbed off on them to create a unique breed of sportscar.

F1_Master
10-08-2004, 09:14 PM
last i checked steel was a metal...

and WHERE are these vipers that WERE?

It was the concept of the RT/10. The one shown in the early 90's.

16-4Veyron
10-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Neither is really a muscle car, muscle cars are cheap 4-seaters - these are expensive 2 seaters, and sports cars at that. Think of it this way: It's just like when a girl grows up with a lot of brothers, she gets tomboyish as her siblings attutudes rub off on her. That's what she grew up with.

These are sports cars that grew up in companies that specialized in muscle cars, so naturally that kind of attitude rubbed off on them to create a unique breed of sportscar.

No, thats the "old" age muscle car, I belive he specificly said "new" age muscle car. Things have changed.

jcp123
10-08-2004, 09:29 PM
I didn't know the definition had changed. Just the technology.

16-4Veyron
10-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Well I dont want to argue, but it seems the technology has come so far it has somewhat changed the definition.

jcp123
10-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Maybe, I haven't kept up with the newer models. Vettes are borderline, I guess. Traditionally they've always been sports cars. But the impression I get from most Vette owners is that they wouldn't like the Vettes being called Muscle cars. And Vipers are just too expensive.

16-4Veyron
10-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Well I think the vett and stang have evolved a lot, but still stayed in there bounds. The vett has always been a sports car, built for american speed. The Mustang has stayed a lot the same because its the cheap american sports car, which it always has been, Im not sure but I think it came out as a 2+2 too, so they jsut added another seat. Other that its very similer. That Viper on the other hand isnt at all an old american muscle car because it came out in the 90s, not the 6-70s. So I think the Viper is the true definition of a "new" american muscle car bucause its, really big and really powerful like an old one, just with a lot of new and expencive stuff paced in it.

^^ Im not gonna bother rereading that so it prob doesnt make any sence at all... lol.

jcp123
10-08-2004, 09:56 PM
I still think the Viper's too expensive to be a muscle car. Has the attitude though. I'll concede that one thing that's chaged is that the Camaro and Mustang, which used to be Pony cars are now really true muscle cars.

And yes, the Mustang has always been a 4-seater, available at first in Coupe (still a 4-seater), the 2+2 Fastback (a coupe with a sexier roofline) and the droptop (best of all, IMHO :)).

PerfAdv
10-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Defining where a particular model fits in or is designated as is becoming increasing more complex. IMO sportscar is general term that can be used for most sporty 2-door cars. Subsets within this group of sportscars are cars that share certain qualities. The LWS, or light-weigth-sportscar, cars like the Miata, Elise, MR-2 spyder. Performance sportscars like the Z car, Supra, RX-7, and IMO Corvette and Viper. Muscle cars used to be many, the GTO, Chevelle LS6, Hemi 'Cuda are amongst best. But really any Chevy, Ford, or Chrysler(&AMC javalin) that had a basic 2-door smaller body stuffed with a bigger, more powerful engine from a larger car was a muscle car. Musclecars were relatively cheap, used rigid axle rear suspensions and were never handlers. Mustang and Camaro were pony cars a subset of muscle cars. Only now are they considered muscle cars.

The Viper is kind of a reincarnated Cobra, which was not a musclecar but a performance sportscar of its day. Yes, the Viper has been called a musclecar but thats only to cash in on the long gone and badly missed era, same way the Mustang and Camaro use it. The Vette has always been a performance sportscar, just not its first 6 cylinder model.

There is a lot of confusion and personal interpretation in labeling cars...no clear cut definitions. What is the new RX-8?

jcp123
10-08-2004, 11:34 PM
RX8? I say sportscar.

PerfAdv
10-09-2004, 08:18 AM
RX8? I say sportscar.

Yes, but it's not just 2+2, it's a proper 4-seater with 4 doors. Sure, a sportcar in the general sense. But a true sportscar wouldn't have a long wheelbase able to accomodate a proper rear seat and the added resulting weight. Sport sedan, but the profile is of a sportscar? The definitions are becoming blurred. Infiniti FX, what is that? Hardly a utility vehicle. Namesake SUV, crossover vehicle with upright cabin and sportsedan performance.

thinker
10-09-2004, 09:36 PM
well if you were to compare the sound of the viper engine to muscle car engines, it can be said that they sound sumwhat alike rite? because both are very loud both inside and outside the car.

jcp123
10-10-2004, 12:43 AM
I guess a little. But you could then say that a modded Civic sounds like a muscle car because with the fartcan exhaust it gets loud.

thinker
10-10-2004, 01:03 PM
I guess a little. But you could then say that a modded Civic sounds like a muscle car because with the fartcan exhaust it gets loud.
but when u hear a rice rocket goin down the street u could tell that it is indeed a rice rocket because the fartcan exhaust gives it a buzzing sound

jcp123
10-10-2004, 01:41 PM
ok, just checkin what you meant :)

PerfAdv
10-10-2004, 04:29 PM
well if you were to compare the sound of the viper engine to muscle car engines, it can be said that they sound sumwhat alike rite? because both are very loud both inside and outside the car.

I kinda know what you mean. But suppose two vehicles that share an engine could be made to sound the same, correct? If you put the same exhaust in a Ford Explorer as a Mustang with the 4.6 V8s. Does the sound make the Explorer a Muscle-anything?

The Viper's character is what Americans consider sporty, loud and snorty. It's a formula that works. Americans never have built Ferrari or NSX types. Even the earliest sportscars mimicing the Euro sportscars had burly and rorty V8s, the Cobra. IMO it doesn't mean if it's loud in a V8 straight-pipes kind of way that it's a musclecar. :)

Then again it's your call. If you think the Viper is a musclecar, give concrete examples that make it one.