PDA

View Full Version : Should I?

2gdsm
09-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Wuz up yall
Im new to this page and i just wana say im really impressed by you guys knowlege for cars. Any way I just bought a 1996 Eclipse GS about 5 months ago 2 months ago I swp a 1998 GSX motor and tranny into it. I wanted to know would it be smart to upgrade the turbo and intercooler? Alot of people tell me not to but i want more power. please everybody feel free to school me in the art of tuning and give your opinions

The soul is in the motor not the man- 2gdsm-04 :confused:

Slicks
09-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Wuz up yall
Im new to this page and i just wana say im really impressed by you guys knowlege for cars. Any way I just bought a 1996 Eclipse GS about 5 months ago 2 months ago I swp a 1998 GSX motor and tranny into it. I wanted to know would it be smart to upgrade the turbo and intercooler? Alot of people tell me not to but i want more power. please everybody feel free to school me in the art of tuning and give your opinions

The soul is in the motor not the man- 2gdsm-04 :confused:
You didnt get the AWD setup with the engine and tranny did you? If not your car is going to torque steer pretty hard, but its up to you. Also traction is going to be an issue as well. My friend has a 96 eclipse turbo (non AWD) and a few mods, it torque steers pretty bad, and it sucks in winter driving. He also has traction issues being FWD. Personally if its FWD i would bother with it, but thats just me.

PerfAdv
09-27-2004, 03:00 PM
I agree with the above reply. Too much power in a FWD turbo you're looking at traction and torque steer issues. You might not be able to make a 400+ Hp machine but It can still be a fast car. Winter weather shouldn't be a problem in RichardsonTX though.

Matra et Alpine
09-27-2004, 04:39 PM
Don't know if any kits will be available for the Eclipse, if not it might be possible to make your own up.

To limit the torque steer you need to prevent the front suspension lateral movement. This is one of the contributory factors in T/S and can be removed by
- rose-jointing the suspension, makes for a VERY rough ride
- pre-compressing the bushes in the suspension arms - makes for a rough ride
- fitting an additional stay bar to limit the suspension movement - retains some of the up-down compliance and removes some of the lateral, but still roughens the ride up.

Also, revisiting the front driveshafts and their geometry to put the point of rotation at the same xis as the stubs helps.

All of these things have drawbacks for street use and whilst Ok on the track I'd be wary of trying this for 400+ horses :(

2gdsm
09-28-2004, 10:40 AM
You didnt get the AWD setup with the engine and tranny did you? If not your car is going to torque steer pretty hard, but its up to you. Also traction is going to be an issue as well. My friend has a 96 eclipse turbo (non AWD) and a few mods, it torque steers pretty bad, and it sucks in winter driving. He also has traction issues being FWD. Personally if its FWD i would bother with it, but thats just me.

I do have the AWD tranny :)

The soul is in the motor not the man-2gdsm

2gdsm
09-28-2004, 10:43 AM
Sorry to waste your time guys but i was driving around yesterday and saw this 02 WRX 2.5 rs for sale so i bought it......... now i know nothing please help :confused:

Slicks
09-28-2004, 02:33 PM
Sorry to waste your time guys but i was driving around yesterday and saw this 02 WRX 2.5 rs for sale so i bought it......... now i know nothing please help :confused:
LMAO. How much did you get it for, those are nice. Well its AWD and i would definetly prefer one over an eclipse. I would suggest going to a subaru forum to find out anything you need to know.

my porsche
09-28-2004, 02:40 PM
he said he traded it, he musta paid a hell ova lot on top o that!

KnifeEdge_2K1
09-28-2004, 08:04 PM
how many cars are u planing on buying ??