PDA

View Full Version : Uber-Golf: The evolution.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Quiggs
09-27-2004, 01:17 PM
Back in February of this year, I decided I wanted something more than 'just a car' to drive. Being into cars all my life, this came as no surprise to me or anyone I knew. So I had a few options. I thought about a muscle car- an old Cuda, Challenger, Shelby Mustang replica. Or maybe an Integra- but not some body-kitted, clear taillight mobile that sounded nasty. Or something new? Dodge Stratus RT, VW GTI 1.8T or Acura RSX Type-S. Well, it turned out I could afford the insurance on any of the new cars. Or the car payment. But not both. And living in a region that gets a lot of snow, the muscle car was impractical for winter. :( What was I to do? Well, there was one option I had right under my nose the whole time. A little windsor blue Golf Mk3 with about 100,000 miles on it.

It was settled, so I thought. Just some simple things. Maybe a VR6 swap, drop it, badgeless grill, and Hella dual round headlights. I'd be happy. Then I went to www.vwvortex.com. And it changed.

Going through the Mk3 forums, I saw so many different styles. The European style, with EDM bumpers, headlights, wheel styles. The tuner style, with shaved bumpers, boser hoods, and turbo balls-to-the-wall VR6 monsters. The OEM+ style- very subtle parts, most of which came straight from VAG themselves. The last one seemed to be most my style, what with me growing up going to muscle car shows where the 'all original, low miles' cars got all the attention.

So it was determined. My 2.slow Golf would be my project. I wanted to build something fun to drive at the strip, at the track, and in the hills. All while maintaining some semblance of daily driver ability, and of course something that looked the part.

It's been slow going so far. I've had a few setbacks. A blown transmission will do that, though.

Enough rambling. Here's some pictures.

The first 2 are early this year. The early stages. Cracked bumper and grill from a little run in with a fire hydrant. Three and four- replaced bumper and grill. Grill replaced with Votex Rallye grill. You wouldn't believe the output of those lights.

Quiggs
09-27-2004, 01:18 PM
Few weeks later I did the stereo install. Sony head, Alpine speakers, amp and subs. Subs are 2 10" E-series.

Quiggs
09-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Just some random shots from about a month ago. No big changes, except the Euro plate on the front.

Quiggs
09-27-2004, 01:26 PM
That brings us to today. I woke up at 1130, came downstairs, and what did I see on the table? A big box that said Tuning Zubehor on the side! My taillights have arrived! Install went well. About 35 minutes, not including a WalMart run for a replacement taillight bulb.

The only thing I don't like is the chrome trim. But I'm going to sand them down this weekend and respray them black. It'll look not-so-blingy, and more OEM.

I've got clear sidemarkers on the way. They're held up in customs but are in the country. Hoping to have them in by the time I go to Show and Go in October. :D

The future

I'm done for now. Winter isn't a time I want to be outside crawling under the car doing suspension or anything else, for that matter.

Next spring/summer will see coilover suspension, R32 looks headlights (projectors), VR6 Euro front lip, and a 1.8T/6 speed transmission swap from a Mk4 special GTI. If time and money permit, upgraded turbo, front mount intercooler, 3" turbo-back exhaust, and a Quaife LSD. Ultimately I'm looking for 225whp. Bodywork will be minor. Dents pulled, respray. Maybe shave a thing or two. But I like the stock lines a lot.

Thanks for reading my senseless thread. :cool:

Niko_Fx
09-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Good job man, keep improving your car :)

The lights look really nice.

kko
09-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Sound great so far. good call on the lights

Rockefella
09-27-2004, 03:00 PM
That's a really nice looking Golf man, keep it up.

Ciscoheat
09-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Great project your building Quiggs and I like the fact that you'r going the subttle route. I like the German number plate, nice touch. Have you thought of going for a single wiper conversion and de-locking?

Spastik_Roach
09-27-2004, 11:19 PM
Dude that looks sweet. You gunna get some new wheels for it or stay stock? Some nice not too big wheels would really complete the look, maybe wheels like these?

http://www.ooparts-international.co.jp/index/car/listbybrand/enkei/images/evo1.jpg

Spastik_Roach
09-27-2004, 11:30 PM
I've done a quick (5mins) chop, shaved door handles, smoothed bonnet, lowered, and put some Enkei Tarmac Evos (The rims I showed you b4) on it. Looks pretty cool IMO!

blackcat77
09-28-2004, 12:26 AM
You've got a little Corrado thing going at the front. That's GOOD...

Quiggs
09-28-2004, 08:17 AM
I'm going to keep the door handles. It's always going to be a daily driver, and door poppers can go faulty and not work. It's not really practical for me.

For wheels, I'm really stuck on Porsche Boxster twists. I've seen them on a Jazz blue Mk3 (it's possibly my favorite Mk3), and the idea really caught me. Pic of the rims, and 2 of Steel's car (VW THUNDR).

The Eurovan vent on the right fender (where the airbox is) is starting to grow on me. That, along with pulled fenders, might be the only other body work I do.

Thanks for the comments guys. And special thanks to Spastic for taking time to do some PShopping. :D

Quiggs
10-05-2004, 09:39 AM
So I got the balls to paint my tail lights over the weekend. They didn't turn out perfect, but I was really surprised how good they looked. The few small spots that aren't perfect, aren't very noticable. Maybe one day I'll fix it.

Started with this.

http://bill.cs-servers.com/Index/Adam/Dubz/Mine/DSC00015.jpg

What I used:

Painter's tape
Newspaper
Resin Sandpaper
Testors Primer
Testors Flat Black
DupliColor Clear Coat

1. Mask off the lenses. More is better.

http://bill.cs-servers.com/Index/Adam/Dubz/Mine/New/DSC00002.jpg

2. Scuff the casing with the sandpaper. I used 3M P1500 Resin Bond. You don't need to take off the top coating, just scuff it up a little.

3. Prime. One coat will suffice. Just make sure you get it all evenly.

http://bill.cs-servers.com/Index/Adam/Dubz/Mine/New/DSC00004.jpg

4. Paint. I did two coats of the flat black.

5. Clearcoat. This is really optional. Some people said do it, others said run the flat black. I didn't like the look of just the paint, so I sprayed one coat on it. And I'm glad I did. Cause now they look like this.

http://bill.cs-servers.com/Index/Adam/Dubz/Mine/New/DSC00006.jpg

http://bill.cs-servers.com/Index/Adam/Dubz/Mine/New/DSC00008.jpg

http://bill.cs-servers.com/Index/Adam/Dubz/Mine/New/DSC00009.jpg

I think they look much better than the chrome trim.

And I got clear sidemarkers with amber LED's from a group buy on Vortex.

http://bill.cs-servers.com/Index/Adam/Dubz/Mine/New/DSC00010.jpg

Quiggs
12-21-2004, 02:49 PM
I stopped at my favorite VW parts place today. It's basically a garage with a huge graveyard of VAG cars on racks stacked 4 and 5 high. I needed some odds n ends- a plastic piece off my dipstick cracked, washer fluid reservoir cap, and a PVC breather pipe. That cost $5 total. Then I thought to myself, "Self, buy yourself something for Christmas. You've been a good boy this year!" So I did. I picked up a Mk4 shift knob and boot out of a GTI. Stealership price? $125. Lenny's price? $25.

Tomorrow I'm picking up a pipe cutter from my uncle to cut the shifter down an inch or so. Then I'll drop in the new shifter. Updated pictures tomorrow.

Spastik_Roach
12-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Aye that look like a kick ass shifter man! Looks groovy.

Bad Dragon
12-21-2004, 03:15 PM
He man, that's a nice car you have there. Reall smooth. not fancy but real good. I myself like the body kitts, not to wide, but enough, but a nice lcean job I always like.

Great work.

Greetz from Bad Dragon

Roy Visser
12-22-2004, 08:40 AM
looking better and better everytime i pop my head up in here :)

really like the tails, im getting M3 looks next week aswell, and i hope they still have the clear red/white ones without that chrome strip, that just doesnt fit the car at all! Good job on painting them black.

now if you would excuse me, i would like to show off my project golf aswell :)

Quiggs
12-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Got the knob installed today. I cut down the shifter an inch initially, but the Mk4 knob is taller than the Mk3 one. So after a short drive, I decided I needed to hack some more off. Another 3/4" gone and it's perfect. The throws (especially 4-5) are so much easier and quicker now. Plus there's the appearance factor. The stock knob was so... boring. I'm gonna shut up now and show the pictures.

1. Initial cut point. Move it down another 3/4" and you have where I ended up.
2. Pipe cutter
3. and 4. Final product

Quiggs
12-22-2004, 10:07 AM
One from the back seat, and I've never done the Egg Nog test, so today's as good a day as any. :D

Roy Visser
12-22-2004, 10:34 AM
thats looking very nice, now if i could only find myself a mk4 gearknob with R-1-2-3-4-5-6 on it, and a gearbox attached, then im sold too :)

Quiggs
01-14-2005, 02:44 PM
It was nicer out than it has been today, and I wanted to play with my new camera. So I got the car washed and found a cozy little place to set up my tripod. I'm still getting used to using the manual controls on the 300D.

Next update will probably be Wednesday. That's the projected delivery date of my Autotech rear strut bar. It's 28mm wide, T6 aluminum. And it won't take up a lot of hatch space. Not that there's much to being with, after I dropped the sub box in.

http://www.evolutionsports.com/images/products/rearupperstrut.jpg

Turbonutter55
01-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Great going. But what will you do to the motor. VR6? Big turbo? Both? Maybe take a look at this (http://www.hpamotorsports.com/r32.htm) for what to aspire to. 202 mph. 550 horsepower. 3.2 second 0-60. In a fully type-approved golf.

Quiggs
01-15-2005, 02:13 PM
After I get my tax refund check from last year, I'll pay off what I owe on the car. Then I have free reign over what happens to it.
The plan right now goes like this: find a VR, find somewhere to store it (hoping my uncle'll let me use his garage), send the block out to be bored to 3.0L, start piecing together a turbo setup- specifics to be decided, some hot cams, 3" turbo back exhaust, ported throttle body and head. The turbo will probably be very conservative. I'm only looking for ~225whp. And 2.8L VR's with basic mods and little to no head work regularly put down 200whp. It'll be very drivable.

Perfection would be a 3.0L turbo VR with a 6 speed swap out of a Mk4. But I have to look up if that transmission will bolt up.

HPA is a little out of my pricerange. :(

Roy Visser
01-16-2005, 04:31 AM
After I get my tax refund check from last year, I'll pay off what I owe on the car. Then I have free reign over what happens to it.
The plan right now goes like this: find a VR, find somewhere to store it (hoping my uncle'll let me use his garage), send the block out to be bored to 3.0L, start piecing together a turbo setup- specifics to be decided, some hot cams, 3" turbo back exhaust, ported throttle body and head. The turbo will probably be very conservative. I'm only looking for ~225whp. And 2.8L VR's with basic mods and little to no head work regularly put down 200whp. It'll be very drivable.

Perfection would be a 3.0L turbo VR with a 6 speed swap out of a Mk4. But I have to look up if that transmission will bolt up.

HPA is a little out of my pricerange. :(

Nice Plans, about 5 years ago, i used a 2.9Vr6 for a project car, engine was shipped to the uk, and came back with 285 NA (!) horsepower. Brutal force, and Vr's make the nicest sounds. To bad something went wrong with that engine, wouter knows the whole flying valves story :)

Btw, your car is shiny :cool:

Quiggs
01-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Nice Plans, about 5 years ago, i used a 2.9Vr6 for a project car, engine was shipped to the uk, and came back with 285 NA (!) horsepower. Brutal force, and Vr's make the nicest sounds. To bad something went wrong with that engine, wouter knows the whole flying valves story :)
What all did you have done to get almost 300hp? It couldn't have been just a bored out block. I'd suspect a lot of headwork, and probably FI.

Btw, your car is shiny
It's amazing what Photoshop can do. :D

Roy Visser
01-16-2005, 02:13 PM
What all did you have done to get almost 300hp? It couldn't have been just a bored out block. I'd suspect a lot of headwork, and probably FI.

the engine went over to an English company called Dubsport (www.dubsport.com) And he did a whole lot of work on it, the engine came back with a whole lot of Schrick written on the engine. I had a big list of what he changed on it, but i gave it to the new owner when i sold the car (engine wasnt intact anymore at that point :( )

you should see some of his project cars, he has a rear wheel drive MK1 3.0 Vr6 Turbo engine in it, 440 bhp!!!

Quiggs
01-19-2005, 10:30 AM
And I was the only idiot outside working on his car. I got my Autotech bar today. UPS must've had fun with it on its cross country trip. The box was more than a little crushed. The bar was fine though. It's like 15*F here. I wasn't going to do it today. But then boredom set in. So off I went.

The piece itself is simple. It's a 28mm wide piece of aluminum. Or aluminium for you crazy English people (the things Alan de Cadenet will teach you). Each end has a U-bolt held on by washers and a bolt. The center has a 2-way adjuster. Installing it was a little harder. The directions said I had to bend 2 tabs that hold a plastic panel in, to get the bar across. What they didn't tell me was I'd have to take a hammer to them to get them to lay flat. After that it was pretty easy. Just cold. Then it started snowing. The plastic pieces on top don't quite fit perfectly now. I'm going to trim them on a warmer day.

Pic of the bar, a couple installed pics. None during, it was snowing and I was cold.

Lagonda
01-19-2005, 11:45 AM
What does that bar do ?

Quiggs
01-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Hatchbacks have a huge hollow space inside. Under cornering, the body rolls on itself. The bar is there to keep it from doing that.

Roy Visser
01-19-2005, 12:46 PM
your car will handle so much different now, do you have one in the front aswell? thats a reall handling changer!

Quiggs
01-19-2005, 01:10 PM
your car will handle so much different now, do you have one in the front aswell? thats a reall handling changer!

Not yet. I don't want to buy the front one for an 8v, and in 6 months have to buy one for a VR6. So I'm going to hold off.

Next purchases are going to be Patec Holeshot adjustable coilovers, and the very rare, discontinued Abt dual round headlights. Then I start the VR project.

Abt dual rounds:
http://www.pgperformance.com/abt/golf3/images/19380010b.jpg

Patec Holeshots:
http://patecsuspensions.com/holeshot/images/holeshot.jpg

Quiggs
01-25-2005, 03:51 PM
I just got the opportunity today to really drive the car with the Autotech bar. And what a difference it's made! The car doesn't feel like it wants to fall on itself under hard cornering. And some of the squeaks and rattles are gone. :) Best $100 I've spent in a while.

Next update is probably a month or more away. I'm broke... :(

Silentdeath489
01-31-2005, 05:08 PM
I'm 16 now even though it says that im 15 but im seriously thinking of getting a golf. Is it a reliable car, and worth the money used or new?

Quiggs
01-31-2005, 07:49 PM
I can only speak for the Mk3, as I've never driven any other generation. The Mk3 platform was sold in the US from 1993 to early 1999.

The 2.0 liter motor is bulletproof if it's been maintained. Mine's got 125,000 miles on it and it starts right up every morning. Repairs can be common if previous owners haven't taken care of it. Things that break a lot are the power window regulators, sunroof motors, and mass airflow sensors. All of these are simple enough to be fixed by you. Another major thing to watch for is the transmission. First, second, and reverse aren't synchroed. So come winter time, cold shifting is very hard. The reverse gear can get stripped, and eventually cause you a LOT of headaches. I usually let it warm up for a few minutes before I leave. Again, maintenance is key. If the car you're looking at has over 100,000 miles make sure it's had its timing belts done.

A Mk3 Golf can be picked up for anywhere from $1500 to $4500, depending on mileage and options. The only available motor was the 2.0, unless you get a GTI with the VR6. I don't recommend the VR6 for a first car. It's a lot of motor for someone with no experience. I recommend the 5 speed. The autos are just a bore to drive, and the extra gearing needed for cruising kills what little acceleration the car has. They're good on gas. I get 25-30mpg driving the car hard daily. If I toned it down, it'd go up to about 35 combined. And insurance is cheap.

If you're looking for something to mod, starting with a Golf or GTI 2.0 is a good base. They're very good handlers even stock, and with a quality Cup kit and stress bars, can be quite good in Auto-X. The 2.0 is good for about 120whp and 140lb-ft normally aspirated. Neuspeed has a very reliable supercharger unit that bolts up in about 6-8 hours, and that kit will put down 155whp and ~170lb-ft. Custom turbo applications have been known to put down as much as 180whp, and more. Eventually if you decide you want something more (like I have), a VR6 swap is easy. And there's a guy putting together a kit for a 'simple' 1.8T swap from a Mk4, due out this summer.

All of this said, I drive the hell out of my car every day. It's never left me stranded. Once I had an O2 sensor go bad, 40 miles from home. The car made it back. Last June I had the clutch start slipping, and the bell house of the transmission crack. I drove 80 miles home from a VW show with little to no fluid inside, and eventually lost 5th, 4th, 2nd, 3rd, and 1st as I pulled into the shop. But it got me home. To pass inspection this year I needed an O2 sensor, and a MAF. This car has never left me stranded.

Quiggs
02-13-2005, 07:26 PM
I lied, I picked up a set of Depo crystal clear fog lights and turn signals before the Abts and coils. Took a few hours today to get them in, as the NA bumper is different than the European spec one. Then there was a small issue with the NA blinker plugs not fitting in the Euro turns. Nothing a Dremel couldn't fix. Day pics up tomorrow. And I won a European headlight switch on eBay today. Hooray. :D

Edit: Finally got some day time pictures of the new fogs. Ignore the condensation and dirty car, it rained yesterday.

Roy Visser
02-15-2005, 06:29 AM
I lied, I picked up a set of Depo crystal clear fog lights and turn signals before the Abts and coils. Took a few hours today to get them in, as the NA bumper is different than the European spec one. Then there was a small issue with the NA blinker plugs not fitting in the Euro turns. Nothing a Dremel couldn't fix. Day pics up tomorrow. And I won a European headlight switch on eBay today. Hooray. :D

they wouldnt fit in my euro bumper aswell for some strange reason :S

we are christal clear buddies now ;)

Manik
02-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Few weeks later I did the stereo install. Sony head, Alpine speakers, amp and subs. Subs are 2 10" E-series.

must be an awesome stereo. sony and alpine are some of the best names you can get! :D

Quiggs
02-17-2005, 04:39 PM
must be an awesome stereo. sony and alpine are some of the best names you can get! :D
It's loud enough for the type of music I listen to. The first song I played on it was Chevelle - The Red, and the installers had the subs turned up about 3/4. The hatch glass was visibly shaking. I had to turn it down to a little under half for it to even be tolerable.

The only thing I'd consider changing is switching to an Alpine head to better match the speakers. But I like the flip-face on the Sony.

Radoman
02-19-2005, 12:21 AM
A sony, huh? I hope those Sony heads don't break as easily as everything else they make.

Anyways, it's coming along nicely.

Quiggs
03-07-2005, 01:55 PM
It was sunny and 50+ for the first time since August. A freshly washed car begged for some new pictures. :) Got the Euro headlight switch in, so I can run fogs separate from headlights, and with high beams.

Night vision isn't a problem. ;)

carlover
03-07-2005, 06:11 PM
A sony, huh? I hope those Sony heads don't break as easily as everything else they make.
Well what would you have? A nintendo stereo? :p

Quiggs
04-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Dyno run. Fear it.

It's 1 in the morning, I'm bored and not tired enough to go to bed yet. Deal with it.

Radoman
04-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Well what would you have? A nintendo stereo? :p

Funny... but I was thinking more along the lines of an Infinity, or Alpine.

Spastik_Roach
04-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Quiggs, I believe, is away at a show collecting some ABT Dual Rounds. He has been going on at me about how JAY DEE EMM dey look.

Quiggs
04-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Quiggs, I believe, is away at a show collecting some ABT Dual Rounds. He has been going on at me about how JAY DEE EMM dey look.
Unfortunately, I was unable to meet up with him today, so I must wait for UPS to deliver them to me. The show was sweet, I'll be uploading pics in a while.

Edit: I called him a while ago, his cell service was acting up. He's going to ship them to me on his dime. Good stuff.

Quiggs
04-15-2005, 07:04 AM
So I awoke this morning at about 915. I put my contacts in as I do everyday. I go downstairs to make some breakfast as I do every day. But there's something special about today. I can feel it in the air. Maybe I've won the lottery. I did buy that ticket last night. But I forgot it out in the car. Better go get it. I could be sitting on millions and not know it! I grab my keys and run out the back door. The door swings open and hits a box. A big brown box. With UPS stickers on it. It has my name on it. I wonder what this could be.

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/9634S9qYs/425316.jpg

Hmm. It might be a blender. Or a DVD player. Let's open it.

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/9634S9qYs/425317.jpg

Oh, two boxes inside a box! Perhaps it's 2 DVD players? Or a DVD player and a blender?

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/9634S9qYs/425318.jpg

What's this? Let's dig a little deeper.

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/9634S9qYs/425319.jpg

It's not a blender. It's not even a DVD player. It's a driver side Abt Tuning headlight for a Mk3 Golf!!

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/9634S9qYs/425320.jpg

It's a matching set. Now I just need to have them resprayed in Windsor Blue, and I can put them on. :) Special thanks to Manny in New Jersey who sold them to me for a pretty good deal, considering how rare a part this is anymore. He packed these things better than a lot of companies I've bought stuff off of. And after I couldn't get in touch with him at the show we were going to meet at, he picked up the shipping tab.

Quiggs
04-22-2005, 09:42 PM
A while ago I recorded a short clip of my exhaust. Don't think I've ever posted it up on here. Right click, save as... (http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNjQzMTk2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D)

Paint has been ordered to respray Abt duals; ETA late next week. And a new Europlate is on its way.

*If anyone knows where I can get Hella or Osram Sylvania H2 and H4 bulbs, as well as T4W bulbs in either amber or blue, I'd appreciate it.*

Quiggs
05-05-2005, 07:43 AM
Abt's were primed, painted, and cleared the last 2 days. Three friggin' coats of clearcoat to get it looking how I wanted it.

http://bill.cs-servers.com/Index/Adam/Pics/IMG_0942.jpg
New Europlate.

Should be ordering new bulbs and brackets to mount them tomorrow.

Spastik_Roach
05-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Haha nice one Adam, hope you can get the Dual Rounds on soon!

6'bore
05-06-2005, 08:37 AM
Awesome plate dude.

Quiggs
05-08-2005, 03:18 PM
I was bored so I colormatched my door handles. They're not perfect, but as you'll see my paint is far from perfect so it doesn't really matter. :rolleyes:

And that's about all the money I've got left right now...

Roy Visser
05-23-2005, 08:54 AM
lol the money shot is awesome, big lip on those :)

Koenigsegg_CC
05-23-2005, 09:41 AM
That is such a nice car...i wanted a Golf Mk 2 or 3 for my first car but i couldn't get one which wasn't a GTi so i've got a 1.3 polo now instead :p

Egg Nog
05-23-2005, 01:45 PM
So are we going to get to see pictures of the 6 headlights in action? ;)

Quiggs
05-23-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm a wimp and I'm scared to cut my radiator support to make them fit. I think I might see if anyone in my area's done it before and wants to lend a hand. Patience ya bastids.

Quiggs
06-01-2005, 11:37 AM
I did it. The previous owner installed them a little differently than most people. He bent the headlight tabs instead of bending the rad support. This actually made putting them in very easy. I had to redrill two holes to mount the screws. Other than that, it took maybe an hour and a half to do. Wiring isn't done, as I have no ability with that stuff at all. I'm waiting for my uncle to get home from work so I can have him do it.

I'm going to shut up now and get to the pictures. :) SPIDER STYLZ FOR LIFE YO

P3RG4R3C
06-01-2005, 11:46 AM
It looks very nice.

Vaigra
06-01-2005, 02:47 PM
never seen those lights on the golf before...looks good.
what have you got planned next?

h00t_h00t
06-01-2005, 05:11 PM
You could fit another light in the middle.

Quiggs
06-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Next on my long, long.... long... list of parts is coilovers. But this is going to be 3 months at the earliest, since I'm broke and starting school in less than two months.

Here's some pictures wired up.

1. Low beams and fogs
2. Low beams
3. City/Parking lights
4. City/Parking lights and fogs

clutch-monkey
06-01-2005, 06:40 PM
But this is going to be 3 months at the earliest, since I'm broke

welcome to my world :)

Quiggs
06-01-2005, 06:41 PM
1. Hi there.
2. Low beam pattern
3. High beams, driving lights, fogs, city/parking lights

I'm going to get a jumper to run the highs and lows together.

Niko_Fx
06-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Looks good Quiggs :)

Spastik_Roach
06-01-2005, 09:23 PM
OMFG. Sweet shit mate. It looks hot.

Wouter Melissen
06-01-2005, 11:42 PM
All you need is a pointy top and then you have a bonafide rolling christmas tree.

Spastik_Roach
06-02-2005, 12:05 AM
All you need is a pointy top and then you have a bonafide rolling christmas tree.

I wouldn't say that round Quiggs, hes open to any ideas...

Quiggs
06-02-2005, 09:08 AM
I've thought about a set of these (http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_usa/ProductsServices/Performance_Lighting/Rallye_Series/Rallye4000Compact/R4KCompact.jsp) to put in the lower bumper ducts. But I think that's bordering on overkill, even for me.
http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_usa/ProductsServices/Images/R4KComp.jpg

Quiggs
06-02-2005, 12:19 PM
http://www.evolutionsports.com/images/products/ttpedals_1858.jpg

After I almost cracked up the car in the rain a few days ago when my shoe slid off the slick brake pedal I decided I needed something a little more grippy. Just ordered these from www.evolutionsports.com along with the jumper to run highs/lows together. They're OEM Audi TT pedals.

QuattroMan
06-02-2005, 03:36 PM
Nice loking car you got ther bro...

Quiggs
06-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Got bored. Random pictures. TT pedals in. No pictures. I'm lazy and my floor is dirty.

Quiggs
06-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Floor is still dirty, but the rest of the car is clean. I took 4 hours this morning in the 90+ degree heat to wash, claybar, wash, and wax. All by hand. We don't need no stinkin' buffer.

All of these are straight off my camera, just resized.

1- dirty, reflection of my uncle's RX8
2- 1st washing
3- claybar'ed
4- 2nd washing

Quiggs
06-26-2005, 01:25 PM
1- hi
2- waxed in the shade
3- the shocker
4- look at that finish

Quiggs
07-27-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm broke, jobless, and going back to school an hour and a half from where I live. So real mods aren't coming for a long, long, long time... But in the mean time, I've broken my first cardinal rule. No stickers.

Bonus points if you know what the top 2 are. And if I've told you already on AIM/MSN, you can't play. :)

h00t_h00t
07-27-2005, 04:06 PM
I know what the hand position in the second sticker is used for, does that count?

Orefus
07-29-2005, 02:58 PM
RICED!!!!!!!!!!!! Im kidding ur car is nice nice nice n n ice ice ice i i i i c c c eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,

atleast you got a car man, i have no ride, cept my 1 horse power 2 wheel rear wheel drive automatic one gear dyno bike. Its slow, but i mean i get really really good milage. Like 300 miles a gallon. I dont know how many miles it has cause it dosent have a milage counter. Nice car.

Quiggs
03-04-2006, 09:01 AM
And I'm bringing this thread back from the dead.

I've spent the last few weeks slowly putting together parts to hook up a rear fog light. Last weekend I ran the wire, and today I finished the actual splicing. I hate wiring so much. Stupid Germans.

I'm so Euro it hurts.

1- Tail lights
2- Tails and rear fog
3- Oh snap, I can use both pulls now

h00t_h00t
03-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Run out of places for lights on the front? :p

Quiggs
03-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Yea, pretty much... ;)
Hey, at least I haven't resorted to underglow yet!

Quiggs
03-05-2006, 09:21 AM
I cleaned the car today. The inside, anyway... I never posted what the TT pedals looked like, so here's a picture.

And I cracked a fog light lens. I'm pissed, especially since when I got them I spent an extra $35 on Lamin-X protectors for them.

SupraMan22
03-05-2006, 10:52 AM
deffinatly the nicest golf ive seen for a while. big thumbs up. :) Are you doing every thing your self or getting some help?

EDIT: haha i just saw your pics. Shocker baby, 2 in the......well you get the idea. I have no clue what the other one is though.

Vaigra
03-05-2006, 11:06 AM
it's back :D
Always liked the updates on your car :)

Roy Visser
03-06-2006, 09:31 AM
you wanted a little peek of my car, so ill post it in your thread too

peekaboooo :rolleyes:

IWantAnAudiRS6
03-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Looks the shizz... 2 more round lights at the front and it would be almost arachnid!

Considering bigger wheels in the future, maybe..?

Quiggs
03-10-2006, 12:42 PM
you wanted a little peek of my car, so ill post it in your thread too
What kind of wheels are those? They look like an older set of Votex wheels. You should mail them to me.

Considering bigger wheels in the future, maybe..?
Porsche Boxster S 5-spoke twists. But I need coilovers first.

h00t_h00t
03-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Slightly off topic, but were the Mk4 Golf Gti's turboed, there was one in to be serviced at work. It said 20v Turbo in the engine cover but I saw no intercooler and wasn't it the mood to peer down the back of the engine to find the turbo (I was having lunch).

baddabang
03-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Is it really foggy in your neck of the woods Quiggs?

Quiggs
03-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Slightly off topic, but were the Mk4 Golf Gti's turboed, there was one in to be serviced at work. It said 20v Turbo in the engine cover but I saw no intercooler and wasn't it the mood to peer down the back of the engine to find the turbo (I was having lunch).
20v T = 1.8T = super slick motor for aftermarket performance. They came stock in Mk4 Golf/GTI's and Jettas and New Beetles, as well as B5 Audi A4's in the US. They used them in a ton of European models, too.

Sometimes. There's lots of areas where there's no street lights for miles here, and the rear fog is kinda an anti-tailgating countermeasure. :)

Rockefella
03-17-2006, 02:31 PM
He's trying to make his car look like a Christmas tree.

Quiggs
03-17-2006, 02:43 PM
He's trying to make his car look like a Christmas tree.
I think it's safe to say I've succeeded. The only guy I know with more lights than me has a Jeep Cherokee that's on 33x10.5" tires and a 4" lift.

Egg Nog
03-17-2006, 08:57 PM
What kind of wheels are those? They look like an older set of Votex wheels. You should mail them to me.

Porsche Boxster S 5-spoke twists. But I need coilovers first.

You want Boxster 16"s? With tires? Cheap? I've got some.

Quiggs
03-17-2006, 09:09 PM
You want Boxster 16"s? With tires? Cheap? I've got some.
I'm looking for the 17's. They're 17x7 and 17x8.5 and look like this. If you've got a set cheap, I might be interested...

http://www.performanceghia.com/images/Box17.gif

Egg Nog
03-19-2006, 04:39 AM
I'm looking for the 17's. They're 17x7 and 17x8.5 and look like this. If you've got a set cheap, I might be interested...

Yeah, I know which ones you want :) - I just thought I'd ask about the 16s, just in case.

Quiggs
04-15-2006, 08:12 PM
http://www.ngpracing.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/es-shiftkits.jpg

$50. Short throw linkage. 50% throw reduction. Mine. So smooth now.

h00t_h00t
04-17-2006, 04:36 PM
How do they work?

Quiggs
04-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Longer arm = less effort to go the same distance. Shortens the throws.

Quiggs
04-30-2006, 06:19 PM
So I went racing today. It was my first time at the track. I ran a 17.3@80mph my first time out. Then it started getting hot. Ran 17.5 and 17.4. Car ran like a champ all day long. Then leaving, I thought it'd be fun to leave my mark on a stretch of pavement outside the track. Dumbest. Idea. Ever.

The smell of burning trans fluid filled the car, and that tell-tale white smoke was coming out the back. I hate VW trannies. Seriously.

So I'm fairly confident there's a crack in the bellhousing, because my clutch was slipping like it was covered in fluid. I took it easy the whole way home. Sigh... Guess we're taking TJ's Racestang to school for a while... :(

johnnynumfiv
04-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Nice runs, when you gonna run for pinks, maybe you'll get some car lengths and be able to use the bottle.

Sucks about the tranny tho, can you fix it at school?

Quiggs
05-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately not. I'm having it towed home today and it's going to the place I had the last one done at. Last time out it ran me $1200.

I parked the car outside last night and this morning there was a huge puddle under the car. It's definitely not fixable.

zeta
05-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Unfortunately not. I'm having it towed home today and it's going to the place I had the last one done at. Last time out it ran me $1200.

I parked the car outside last night and this morning there was a huge puddle under the car. It's definitely not fixable.

Aw man, you shouldn't of stressed the vintage car like. This shows that Honda's reliablity is miles ahead of V-dub, there are old CRX's 89'- toys that ricers hammer around and I never heard or seen them get f'd up, especially the tranni sector, of all things.

Roy Visser
05-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Aw man, you shouldn't of stressed the vintage car like. This shows that Honda's reliablity is miles ahead of V-dub, there are old CRX's 89'- toys that ricers hammer around and I never heard or seen them get f'd up, especially the tranni sector, of all things.

look on the road, and tell me how many old civics you see, compared to vw's

here in holland, its about 50 dubs to 1 civic..

Dino Scuderia
05-03-2006, 10:49 AM
But to even suggest that dubs are more reliable and/or durable than Civic's is ridiculous mate.

Quiggs
05-03-2006, 11:20 AM
My car's not vintage. And VW transmissions are a known weak point. I gambled and lost. There was a Honda there that threw a piston through the head. Guess Honda motors suck, huh?

Lagonda
05-03-2006, 02:07 PM
look on the road, and tell me how many old civics you see, compared to vw's

here in holland, its about 50 dubs to 1 civic..
That's because Honda isn't really all that popular over here. Most likely because they only recently started to sell somewhat decent diesel engines and because they've always been expensive. How many of the new civics have you seen on the road ? Not much. (rightfully so as they are ugly as sin IMHO)

Honda is popular in the US, they sell a lot more than VW over there AFAIK.

IWantAnAudiRS6
05-03-2006, 03:41 PM
So I went racing today. It was my first time at the track. I ran a 17.3@80mph my first time out. Then it started getting hot. Ran 17.5 and 17.4. Car ran like a champ all day long. Then leaving, I thought it'd be fun to leave my mark on a stretch of pavement outside the track. Dumbest. Idea. Ever.

The smell of burning trans fluid filled the car, and that tell-tale white smoke was coming out the back. I hate VW trannies. Seriously.

So I'm fairly confident there's a crack in the bellhousing, because my clutch was slipping like it was covered in fluid. I took it easy the whole way home. Sigh... Guess we're taking TJ's Racestang to school for a while... :(
"If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen."

:rolleyes:

Quiggs
05-05-2006, 09:51 AM
"If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen."

:rolleyes:
My car is reliable. I just happen to beat the isht out of it all day, every day. :)

Here's my timeslips.

IWantAnAudiRS6
05-06-2006, 06:32 AM
My car is reliable. I just happen to beat the isht out of it all day, every day. :)

Here's my timeslips.
You're a cruel, cruel person :D

I'm rooting for a white Vento I see every day... it's parked out near a pub, has nice rims, missing a rear window... a house nearby seems to own it, they have 3 VW Polos with rims, I wonder if they'd let me take it off their hands for free instead of paying to scrap it...

Good times by the way, what model Golf is it?

Quiggs
05-06-2006, 06:39 AM
You're a cruel, cruel person :D

I'm rooting for a white Vento I see every day... it's parked out near a pub, has nice rims, missing a rear window... a house nearby seems to own it, they have 3 VW Polos with rims, I wonder if they'd let me take it off their hands for free instead of paying to scrap it...

Good times by the way, what model Golf is it?
It's a basic GL. No power windows, seats, locks. I don't even have keyless entry. The only things it came with extra were the sunroof and the premium Bose stereo, which has since been taken out. Edmunds.com listed the curb weight of a 1997 GL as 2525lbs. So even with my stereo/subs and me, it should still be under 2900lbs.

zeta
05-07-2006, 06:44 PM
My car's not vintage. And VW transmissions are a known weak point. I gambled and lost.

Vintage= [light sacrasm- in a way]. I hear alot of problems with VW's and Audi's like they can't endure, this is the first time I hear of complete tranni failure as such though. But a guy i know hade a Jetta/Bora VR6 (97'), and the waterpump broke, it looked liked it exploded with coolant everywhere, to get fixed was costly, mostly because to replace it involved removing stuff like, front the bumper. But then there are the lucky others that have no reliablity issues with VW's- hit or miss

There was a Honda there that threw a piston through the head. Guess Honda motors suck, huh

You can bet that was a result of riceout non-factory 'high performance' tuning.

Quiggs
06-16-2006, 03:21 PM
So after 7 long, agonizing weeks of swapping between a 86 F150 and a 00 Cougar, I got der Golf back. The place that did the swap couldn't find a DFQ trans that actually worked, so they opted to source a 16V Scirocco trans for me. They got one. It was broke. They got another. It was broke, too. Third time's a charm, right? Right. It's a close ratio box. Same final drive as the old one, but the gears are a lot closer together. It's a little quicker in 1st and 2nd, a whole lot quicker in 3rd and 4th, and my top end dropped about 5mph. Not that I'd ever drive that fast on public roads... Right.

Now the bad that's happened... They broke my fuse panel cover. I didn't care at first, but Sunday night I was driving through West Chester and I guess I kicked my fuse panel or something hard enough that it knocked a fuse loose. Car stalled in busy traffic at 60 miles an hour. I was in the left lane, too. Not fun. My headlights don't work. Except my obnoxious bright driving lights. Which don't turn off. Pulled the fuse out of them for now. Had to drive all the way back from West Chester to Pottstown Sunday night at 1130 using my fogs that don't do isht and my driving lights that blind everyone. It's almost an hour drive on a road filled with deer... We saw 2. We probably passed 20... Got pulled over for speeding Monday. 70 in a 55. $136.50. And I'm only averaging 26 miles a gallon now thanks to those uber-close gears.

Oi... What a week...

spi-ti-tout
06-16-2006, 03:27 PM
This all still in Mexico....?

h00t_h00t
06-16-2006, 04:24 PM
And I'm only averaging 26 miles a gallon now thanks to those uber-close gears.

Oi... What a week...
That MUST be partially down to you making use of the close gears...

Quiggs
06-16-2006, 06:30 PM
This all still in Mexico....?
The last time my car was in Mexico, it rolled off the production line and onto a train.

That MUST be partially down to you making use of the close gears...I drove the ish out of it before. I drove the ish out of it this week. No change in my driving style whatsoever. I might actually be a little easier on it in certain situations now since it's got more pick up. I'll look up the gear ratio differences later.

I tore into the car earlier to track down the source of all my problems. Turns out some ghetto-style wiring I did back in the day finally came around and bit me in the ass. So off I went to Sears and bought a soldering iron and some rosin core. I've already burned myself 3 times and I'm only done on the right side.

Quiggs
06-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Gear ratios...

DFQ (old) = Final drive 3.67; 1st 3.45; 2nd 1.94; 3rd 1.29; 4th 0.97; 5th 0.80
AGB, 2Y (16v Close Ratio) = Final drive 3.67; 1st 3.45; 2nd 2.12; 3rd 1.44; 4th 1.13; 5th 0.91

I'm almost positive it's a 2Y. I'm not thrilled about the 5th gear. If I'd done the swap myself, I'd have gotten a .75 5th gear out of a TDI and threw a bolt kit in the diff. That would have made for some fun.

h00t_h00t
06-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Using a TDI box would make the car a little sluggish wouldn't it? Unless you are going to rebuild a gear box with the new gears or pay someone else to do it? Neither are worth it IMO.

Quiggs
06-17-2006, 06:31 PM
Using a TDI box would make the car a little sluggish wouldn't it? Unless you are going to rebuild a gear box with the new gears or pay someone else to do it? Neither are worth it IMO.
I just want the .75 5th gear out of a TDI box. It'd get me back my highway mileage, and actually gain me a considerable amount.

h00t_h00t
06-18-2006, 04:15 PM
It would take along time to earn back the money spent having the gears fitted, especially with all that cheap fuel you have in America.

Quiggs
06-24-2006, 11:20 AM
I have access to lots of tools and garage space. And I know people with even more tools. Swapping the gears wouldn't be the hard part. Getting motivated to actually do it instead of just talking about it is. :)

I think I have a small exhaust leak from bottoming out leaving the parking garage every morning. The car sounds a bit drone-y at highway speeds and letting off from WOT produces little pops. Sounds like a race car. I like it.

h00t_h00t
06-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Sounds cool, don't bother fixing it :p

Quiggs
07-22-2006, 02:08 PM
So I didn't have an exhaust leak. At least not in the sense I thought I did.

I was pulling into WaWa (7-11 kind of store, local to PA and NJ mostly) and there's this up hill section, then a dip where their drainage goes, and then it goes back up. Well I pulled slowly through the dip, thought I was clear of it, and goosed the gas. THUNK ting ting ting ting...

Oh the words that came out of my mouth... TJ and I got out, walked around back, and took a look at my tail pipe laying on the ground dragging behind me. "This isn't gonna fly. This will annoy the *expletives deleted* out of me." So I made TJ crawl under the car and pull it off.

Now I roll with no tailpipe. Exhaust exits straight out of the muffler. I don't really know why, but it's had a huge effect on the way my car sounds, especially at low to mid range RPM. All it was, was a piece of metal with a bend in the center of it. Oh well, whatever...

Soundclips... One is just me in the driveway playing with the gas, and the other is a dash view of me going from almost a dead stop to roughly 85. All driving was performed either by professionals or under their supervision, on a closed circuit. Do not attempt this at home. Results not typical. Your mileage may vary. Consult your doctor before becoming active on this or any addictive drug.

h00t_h00t
07-22-2006, 05:01 PM
The hole in your back box is probably larger, so it would sound different.

bmwpower
07-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Your car sounds awesome. You could've started a new thread, "Hey I got a Corvette Z06..listen to it rumble" Hell I would've been doubtful until i heard it. Car sounds great. Unfortunate though that you've been having so much trouble cause i really wanted my first car to be a gold and now i could reconsider. I figure I'll buy my first in the next year.

Quiggs
07-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Your car sounds awesome. You could've started a new thread, "Hey I got a Corvette Z06..listen to it rumble" Hell I would've been doubtful until i heard it. Car sounds great. Unfortunate though that you've been having so much trouble cause i really wanted my first car to be a gold and now i could reconsider. I figure I'll buy my first in the next year.
All of my problems are of my own making. The blown trans was my fault. The exhaust pipe falling off is because my rear struts and springs are 10 years old and need to be replaced very bad. I'm just too broke to replace them. I just rolled 150,000 miles this week, the last 40,000 or so of which have been me beating on it on a daily basis. It's seen Pennsylvania winters, Carolina summers; it's been to Ohio and back, it's been to Florida and back. Not once have I had to have it towed home. If something was going wrong, it always got me to safety, and we'd take it from there.

Honestly, aside from the trans problems (both of which were me beating on it in a manner I knew I shouldn't have been), I've never had to replace anything major. Just a TPS, 2 O2 sensors, and a MAF. It throws the occasional random CEL, but that's just part of her charm. ;)

They're great cars. Fun to drive, economical, and the enthusiast community is second to none.

Quiggs
07-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Everyone likes pictures. Me and my buddy went out last weekend and found a nice place for some uber-pictures of our cars. When you've got $1200 of camera crap, you might as well use it. Right? Right.

Quiggs
07-29-2006, 11:34 AM
And a few more...

johnnynumfiv
07-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Nice pics dude.

Equinox
07-29-2006, 01:55 PM
very nice... i guess thats what "$1200 of camera crap" will get you

Quiggs
07-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Bottle of Goo-Gone- $5
Black silicone gel tube- $2
Losing your hatch spoiler- Priceless

It was faded so bad. I was using Meguiar's Back to Black every few days just to keep it looking glossy and black, but it was becoming too much of a nuisance. So off it came. VW thought it'd be a good idea to put this really gross adhesive on the back side of it between the spoiler and the glass. I've got news for them. It wasn't. Goo Gone + putty knife = own3d. Then I took a few pieces of electrical tape and put them on the inside of the glass to cover the holes while I filled them with the silicone. I let them set up over night and took the tape off this morning. Turned out well. It really cleans up the rear end of the car.

You may remember I made a thread a while ago about me and my friend going to test drive GTI's, and the pole I hit backing up. Well, you can kinda see the damage in the pics. :rolleyes: It's all on the right rear corner of the bumper.

Radoman
07-31-2006, 08:12 PM
Nice, buddy. Those transmission problems sound funny, my roomate had an '86 Jetta that was lowered and had a nice exhaust and some engine tweaks to it, and he beat the shit out of it regularly; burnouts, constant shifts at or near redline, the works. Hell, I abused it a couple times too! The shift linkage was f-ed as well, the little gate between 1st and reverse was non-existant, so you had to search for 1st and 2nd. Reverse was practically in tatters, but the clutch was okay.

He sold it; some young guy rolls around in it real slow-like; probably hasn't fixed the shifter :D

Quiggs
08-03-2006, 12:06 PM
020's are the devil's work.

And so are blown rear struts. I knew it was going to happen. It was only a matter of when and where. My Dynomax muffler left me today. It's somewhere in Northampton, probably run over by a cement truck 4 or 5 times by now. This morning at school, a few people told me my muffler looked like it was hanging lower than usual. "Ah," I thought, "today shall be the day!!"

The whole drive home (67 miles, no less...) I could hear it scraping. Very faint at first. But progressively louder and more constant. By about mile 20 it was annoying. I'm talking Martha Stewart annoying. Then about 10 miles out, the sound of the car changed. Drastically. The muffler had come off the end of the inlet pipe and was hanging by the exhaust hanger. "It's only a few more miles. I can make it... I think." Well that didn't last long. Maybe 3 miles after that, I heard a "THUNK" and looked in my mirror. I saw my Dynomax dancing down the yellow lines, spinning and flipping end over end. I could almost hear it scream to me. "Don't leave me!!!!!! Wait! Come backkkkkkkk!!!"

But alas, I left it there. It was 100* outside and I'd been running the engine (hard, as always) for the last hour and 20 minutes. I was not touching that thing.

The car is borderline ridiculous loud now. At least to me. For all intents and purposes, I'm running straight pipes. The only thing interrupting flow now is the cat. On the bright side, it's gotten my mom talking about replacing my suspension so I can get a new muffler and not have to worry about it falling off again. :) I <3 silver linings.

Quiggs
08-16-2006, 03:29 PM
Wash n wax. Johnny requested I post the pictures I took.

Quiggs
08-16-2006, 03:31 PM
I have quite a few products. Wash soap is Eagle One. Wheel cleaner, wax, and instant detailer are all Meguiar's. Glass cleaner is Stoner's. Tire shine is Black Magic.

All pictures are untouched; just batch resized. I <3 Windsor Blue.

mattmacklind
08-16-2006, 09:18 PM
I like the lights and the front plate. Very cool. I also like the wheels, they look like modernized mililites, tasteful without being too busy. I also appreciate your product choice. I like to use Meguiars as well as Back to Black. Black Magic is too glossy for me but my cars are older and I think its too bright for the age of the cars if that makes sense. Nice work.

whiteballz
08-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Do you recomend meguiars products?

I'm just asking because i want to know exactly how / what to use when
I get my new Silvia to keep its brand new red paint with gold pearl shining bright :)

Quiggs
08-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Every time I run out of something, I've been replacing it with Meguiar's. I really, really like their stuff. It's a little more expensive, but over the long run it doesn't really make that much of a difference. The actual wax I've been using is Meguiar's NTX. It comes in a purple bottle with a green lid. Then every other wash or so I use their spray on wax-as-you-dry stuff.

Cyco
08-17-2006, 08:27 PM
I'm about to start trying the Zaino products, after the NSX bonnet test (http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html) (link down atm) I think they are well worth a go.

The 996TT comparison showed very little difference at time off aplication,but the Zaino stuff just appears to last a lot longer

Quiggs
09-01-2006, 03:02 PM
I did a little ghetto-modding today. I took out my stock airbox, got my drill out, and put a bunch of holes in the lower half of it on the fender-side. I know what you're probably thinking. "Stupid." "Ricey." "Doesn't do anything."

Well, you're wrong. It's not a drastic improvement. It most likely didn't even give me 1whp. But what it did do was make the intake a little louder, and give me much better throttle response. I took it on a little test drive afterward, and if I snapped the throttle from cruising to wide open, the car no longer bucked and hesitated. Not bad for a mod that didn't cost me a dime.

I didn't take any pictures while I was doing it, since I was dirty, and you can't see it installed (it's under the upper intake). So I found someone else's picture of basically the same think I did. Only the picture is off a Mk4.

http://www.reimundez.com/vwmods/images/06AhhThePowerOfCheese.jpg

h00t_h00t
09-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Get alot of induction noise from that?

Quiggs
09-01-2006, 03:54 PM
A little. It's hard to tell right now, since all I can hear is my giant headache-inducing exhaust leak.

Roy Visser
09-02-2006, 03:14 AM
it gives a nice grunt, did the same with all my Mark II golfs/jetta

Quiggs
09-03-2006, 09:20 AM
I've finally gotten around to getting the video off my dad's camera from the day I ran at Maple Grove. I only have video of one of my runs, and of course it was my worst run of the day... It's too big to post here, so I put it on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=govDy7U9nTg

Enjoy.

johnnynumfiv
09-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Rolfwaffle @ the weight transfer.
79mph 0_o damn! :D

Quiggs
09-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Shut it yo' mouf.

A little project I'm cooking up... I've had a spare throttle body/upper intake manifold in the basement for about 4-5 months now. I had the plan of polishing the upper intake manifold and swapping it out. But I kind of lost interest in that. At least for now. But that throttle body interested me.

So I said to myself, "Self, you should port that throttle body out!" So today I got out the Dremel, a 60 grit wheel, and my safety glasses. Off I went, grinding away.

1+2= stock. Look at the huge ramps. That's what I'm getting rid of.
3+4= 60 grit done. I got rid of the smaller side ramp completely and smoothed it in. The other side I blended as well as I could. I may pick up some different Dremel bits and try a little more.
5+6= 100 grit done. Mainly smoothed out edges with it.

I still need 200, 400, 800 and 1000 to finish it. But I'll probably end up doing those by hand. It's kind of hard to get the Dremel in that far while still making complete contact.

Waugh-terfall
10-15-2006, 12:06 PM
I think it's safe to say I've succeeded. The only guy I know with more lights than me has a Jeep Cherokee that's on 33x10.5" tires and a 4" lift.

HAHA, Can you get a pic of the Jeep please?

Quiggs
10-15-2006, 01:22 PM
HAHA, Can you get a pic of the Jeep please?
He's sold the Jeep and graduated since I posted that. So, nope.

Waugh-terfall
10-15-2006, 01:25 PM
lol darnit! Keep up the nice mods with the Golf, great cars them. Mum drives a mk5 GTi, friends uncles got the new R32, with performance mods, soo so nice!

johnnynumfiv
10-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Lawlz I'm teh k3wl.

Quiggs
10-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Get out my thread noob.

Quiggs
10-17-2006, 10:56 AM
I finished my TB today. 1000 grit and 2000 grit wet. Tomorrow I'll order a gasket from school, and depending on what time it gets in I may have some dyno sheets tomorrow.

johnnynumfiv
10-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Schweeeeeeet.

baddabang
10-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Nice TB, better table cloth :)

Quiggs
10-20-2006, 05:50 PM
I weighed the car at school today. Full interior, big sub box, 1/4 tank of gas. 2619lbs. 61/39 F/R distribution.

We didn't have time to dyno it; we had to strap the Supra on the roller for a group of investors who were touring the campus.

johnnynumfiv
10-20-2006, 07:56 PM
That pig needs to go on a diet, maybe it'd break into the 16's then. :p

Egg Nog
10-20-2006, 08:03 PM
We didn't have time to dyno it

I assure you that you didn't miss much ;)

johnnynumfiv
10-20-2006, 08:08 PM
I assure you that you didn't miss much ;)
I'm sure the dyno can't even handle single digit numbers.:cool:

Quiggs
10-21-2006, 06:44 AM
Just FYI... I can spin 3rd gear.

Uphill in the rain.

Egg Nog
10-21-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm sure the dyno can't even handle single digit numbers.:cool:

Awesome!

High 5! (horsepower) ;)

Quiggs
10-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Bastards...

What I did today.
917: Woke up to dog licking my face. Turned out to be Rocke's mom.
918: Put contacts in.
920: Made left over calzone for lunch. I mean breakfast. Whatever.
1000: Helped clean.
700: Picked up these.

FK 60mm/40mm Cup Kit with KYB rear shocks. Slightly used. $225. New costs about $450+S/H. Definite steal. Only down side to it was I had to go to Jersey to get them. I hate Jersey.

Oh and the PA Turnpike/Northeast Extension > you for high speed runs. That's a buck 20 with 500rpm to go. :) And I know it looks like it, but my battery and E-brake lights weren't really on. CEL is on. <3

Egg Nog
10-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Bastards...

What I did today.
917: Woke up to dog licking my face. Turned out to be Rocke's mom.
918: Put contacts in.
920: Made left over calzone for lunch. I mean breakfast. Whatever.
1000: Helped clean.
700: Picked up these.

FK 60mm/40mm Cup Kit with KYB rear shocks. Slightly used. $225. New costs about $450+S/H. Definite steal. Only down side to it was I had to go to Jersey to get them. I hate Jersey.

Oh and the PA Turnpike/Northeast Extension > you for high speed runs. That's a buck 20 with 500rpm to go. :) And I know it looks like it, but my battery and E-brake lights weren't really on. CEL is on. <3

OMG who knew it could hit the stock top speed! ;)

Quiggs
10-21-2006, 06:03 PM
I've done 127. With the old trans the rev limiter would kick in at 120mph/5500rpm. Now it goes to 127/6200.

Close ratio Scirroco trans > stock Golf trans.

Egg Nog
10-21-2006, 06:10 PM
I've done 127. With the old trans the rev limiter would kick in at 120mph/5500rpm. Now it goes to 127/6200.

Close ratio Scirroco trans > stock Golf trans.

Watch out Veyron!

Quiggs
10-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Hey, for a car with 115hp and 160,000 miles... I ain't gonna complain. Besides, I beat it daily and get 28mpg combined.

Egg Nog
10-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Hey, for a car with 115hp and 160,000 miles... I ain't gonna complain. Besides, I beat it daily and get 28mpg combined.

Hey man, you know I'm just buggin' you :)

Quiggs
10-21-2006, 07:13 PM
I know. :p

johnnynumfiv
10-21-2006, 07:15 PM
2.slow what?
You needz dah nawz juize.

Quiggs
10-21-2006, 07:22 PM
With all the cars we've been spraying at school, and seeing how easy it is to do safely... I kinda want a 50 wet shot on a WOT switch.

We sprayed a 65 shot in a last-gen Celica GT and made a 55whp/65wtq gain with it, and the power delivery was seamless. The dynograph was smoother with the nitrous than without.

The only problem would be eventually I'd run out and then I'd be sad until I refilled it. :(

whiteballz
10-21-2006, 08:07 PM
just go to a dentist's office after hours, break in and steal their NAWZ!

( i in no way condone such acts)

Quiggs
10-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Hospital grade N2O is actually better stuff than what's used for auto applications, since there's no sulfur in it. Unfortunately it's also illegal to use it in a car. Stealing FTW.

Rockefella
10-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Hospital grade N2O is actually better stuff than what's used for auto applications, since there's no sulfur in it. Unfortunately it's also illegal to use it in a car. Stealing FTW.
My mother works at a dentist's office, seriously.

Quiggs
10-22-2006, 01:30 PM
I <3 your mom.

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-22-2006, 03:37 PM
I <3 your mom.
I love her more. And she loves me back. Big time.

10-22-2006, 05:23 PM
I think you should have stripped the interior
and the sound system is a waste of money all the music you need should come right out of the engine compartment, it should be rather loud if you stripp away the soound deadening

clutch-monkey
10-22-2006, 05:28 PM
and the sound system is a waste of money all the music you need should come right out of the engine compartment, it should be rather loud if you stripp away the soound deadening
except he might actually want to drive it every day

Quiggs
10-22-2006, 05:31 PM
I think having a 4 door car with no back seat would look effing retarded. Besides, I carpool to school with 1-2 other people. So taking out the back seat isn't really an option.

baddabang
10-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Courtsey of Northern New York Automotive:
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=216404&stc=1&d=1161569206

Me>Quiggs

johnnynumfiv
10-22-2006, 07:10 PM
So is that TJ's girlfriend's car?

Quiggs
10-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the new wallpaper.

baddabang
10-22-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm trying to give the AXB a run for its money.

h00t_h00t
10-23-2006, 03:26 PM
The light of Germany, surely?

Waugh-terfall
10-24-2006, 06:37 AM
The light of Germany, surely?

The light of the world...

Quiggs
10-24-2006, 12:04 PM
I spotted a deer this morning near my house. At 300 yards. :)

Suspension > you.

Today was a nightmare. We pulled the car in to the shop at 640 this morning. Everyone wanted to stand next to my car, but no one really seemed to do anything. By 815 we had everything taken out. During morning break I went to see if my parts had come in. They told me yesterday that they'd "be in first thing in the morning." Well they weren't in. They wouldn't be in until almost eleven, they told me. Anger rising.

Second period we didn't get a lot done. We got the rears in, after fighting with cross threaded bolts. Lunch came up soon and I went back to the resource center to get my effing strut bearings. The guy showed up with them while I was there. Anger falling.

By 3rd period, interest in my car had waned. It was me, and maybe 3 other people left to finish it off. The stock spring hats didn't seem like they'd fit at first, so we had an instructor come over. He showed us what we were doing wrong, and we got the front struts together. Back to the car we went.

By 1215, we had the hood dropped and the wheels torqued. As the lift came down, I had my eyes shut and my fingers crossed. Would it be as low as I'd hoped??? Oh yea. It was. And maybe even a little lower.

So me, TJ, and some other kid went for a quick break-in test run. Wow. The car was completely flat through corners, it didn't shift weight between gear changes, and it's almost as smooth riding during normal driving as a good stock suspension. Now I just have to watch out for speed bumps.

Yay pictures! Car is filty, I don't care. It's 40*F out.

Quiggs
10-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Wheel gap-age is 1 finger in the front, 2 in the rear. Kinda a reverse shocker.

baddabang
10-24-2006, 12:10 PM
:eek: :eek:

Nice work quiggs,

Hey when it snows really bad I'm going to call you up to snow plow my driveway :p

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-24-2006, 05:23 PM
That is one pretty über-slamjob.

I like this thread. It's been going for ages, and is genuinely interesting :)

How about some covers for the middle of your alloys, n00b? :p

Rockefella
10-24-2006, 05:29 PM
LMAO @ Reverse Shocker, sweet job dude.

But, speed bumps > you.

Quiggs
10-24-2006, 05:50 PM
That is one pretty über-slamjob.

I like this thread. It's been going for ages, and is genuinely interesting :)

How about some covers for the middle of your alloys, n00b? :p
I have them in the basement. I decided to try painting part of the logo, and it didn't turn out great. I want to redo it before I put them back on.

My car is lower than Rocke's standards.

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-24-2006, 06:02 PM
My car is lower than Rocke's standards.
Dude, it should be somewhere between the Tarmac and the underlay. No one can ever sink as low as him. I have a video of him making merry with a goat. :eek:

(Polish tradition. You're not seeing mine.)

baddabang
10-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Dude, it should be somewhere between the Tarmac and the underlay. No one can ever sink as low as him. I have a video of him making merry with a goat. :eek:

(Polish tradition. You're not seeing mine.)

That video gave me hysterical blindness for 2 months,

I still get blackouts.

Rockefella
10-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Sadly, Quiggs is right, my standards are lower than his mom's. Which explains his mother's affair with me.

Roy Visser
10-26-2006, 03:19 AM
nice drop :D

still not the lowest golf on the ucp.com forums though :cool:

Waugh-terfall
10-26-2006, 04:36 AM
What the hell is up with VW U.S.A?! They call the new Golf RABBIT and don't give any decent engines like we have here. They give a shitty 2.5 with only 130bhp, that sucks!!:confused:

Rockefella
10-26-2006, 11:15 AM
What the hell is up with VW U.S.A?! They call the new Golf RABBIT and don't give any decent engines like we have here. They give a shitty 2.5 with only 130bhp, that sucks!!:confused:
We get the MK5 Golf/TDI/GTI and I believe R32 as far as I'm concerned, along with the Rabbit? The engine options over here are probably different to those of Europe because of strict American emissions standards. Don't quote me on all of that though.

syko
10-26-2006, 11:20 AM
strict American emissions standards

Aren't the the euro ones stricter

Rockefella
10-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Aren't the the euro ones stricter
Hmm, don't think so. Strict American emissions standards are what (I think) keeps cars like the EVO FQ-400 and TVR out of America.

Quiggs
10-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Hmm, don't think so. Strict American emissions standards are what (I think) keeps cars like the EVO FQ-400 and TVR out of America.
The US has stricter emissions on some of the gases (NOx, which is why TDI's are non-existent this upcoming year), while Europe has stricter standards on other gases (HC and CO I believe). That coupled with crash standards = no cool cars.

still not the lowest golf on the ucp.com forums though :cool:Eh, I'm low enough for the crappy roads we have here.

LotusLocost
10-26-2006, 12:16 PM

still not the lowest golf on the ucp.com forums though :cool:

Who has the lowest?????:eek: :p

Nice drop by the way:)

And don't you get the 1,4 TSFI in the us??

Quiggs
10-26-2006, 12:21 PM
It's not like he's THAT much lower than I am. Really.

No, no 1.4TSI... :(

LotusLocost
10-26-2006, 12:37 PM
It's not like he's THAT much lower than I am. Really.

No, no 1.4TSI... :(

Aw... you poor thing... My brother has one:p

but seriously.. who has a lower golf? I have probably seen it, and know who he is, but I got this thing called TB, so nothing really sticks to my brain:rolleyes:

Quiggs
10-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Aw... you poor thing... My brother has one:p

but seriously.. who has a lower golf? I have probably seen it, and know who he is, but I got this thing called TB, so nothing really sticks to my brain:rolleyes:
That'd be Mr. Porschenut himself...

LotusLocost
10-26-2006, 12:56 PM
That'd be Mr. Porschenut himself...

oh....
hehe...
sorry mate:o
I'll beat you both with the seven though...
4 cm under the skid-plate:p

Wouter Melissen
10-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Woohoo I have driven the lowest Golf on Ultimatecarpage.com!!

Waugh-terfall
10-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Hmmm Emissions...

Well then, I guess the VW USA websites a load old bull cock! lol

I think we may be getting a Golf R36 3.6-FSIV6 which'll be a first for that engine, I know you guys have in in the Phaeton, Touareg and PASSAT

Roy Visser
10-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Who has the lowest?????:eek: :p

Nice drop by the way:)

And don't you get the 1,4 TSFI in the us??

mememememe ;)

http://home.tiscali.nl/royvisser/Eigen%20Autos/Volkswagen_GolfTDI-3.jpg

but my next car wont be lowered anymore, holland is speedbump country. Quigs has a nice drop, and it will problably lower some more in time.

johnnynumfiv
10-26-2006, 03:25 PM
picture above
[inset all pwnd pictures ever made]
The quigginator just got pwned

baddabang
10-26-2006, 06:24 PM

NO!

Supporting member pwnd :D

clutch-monkey
10-26-2006, 08:21 PM
mememememe ;)
but my next car wont be lowered anymore, holland is speedbump country. Quigs has a nice drop, and it will problably lower some more in time.
just a heads up but your numberplate has gone all blank.

:D :D

Wouter Melissen
10-27-2006, 10:25 AM
just a heads up but your numberplate has gone all blank.

:D :D
They ran out of numbers and letters here. That, or his car is so low that the plate has been scraped blank.

Quiggs
10-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Pnut is cheating though. He's got an Euro lip which sits like twice as low.

Waugh-terfall
10-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Pnut is cheating though. He's got an Euro lip which sits like twice as low.

Well then, get a euro lip! :D

Quiggs
10-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Well then, get a euro lip! :D
Abt lip FTW.

Waugh-terfall
10-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Abt lip FTW.

Whats FTW?

adamfraser
10-27-2006, 03:23 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ftw

Waugh-terfall
10-27-2006, 03:28 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ftw

Thanks;)

LotusLocost
10-28-2006, 10:41 AM

You mean like this??

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/136893/20060916/b_094535.jpg

Porscehnut > quiggs

:p :p

Quiggs
10-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Ok, no more discussion of Pnut's car and how much it pwnz0rz mine... He's lucky, his has all the cool Euro features from the factory. And that's cheating... :)

LotusLocost
10-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Ok, no more discussion of Pnut's car and how much it pwnz0rz mine... He's lucky, his has all the cool Euro features from the factory. And that's cheating... :)

He's so euro, he even lives in euro:eek:

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-29-2006, 05:24 AM
He's so euro, he even lives in euro:eek:
Lol, well put :D

Quiggs is a pseudo-Euro- i.e. he wants to be like us, but CAN'T! :p

Quiggs
10-29-2006, 10:27 AM
This thread has officially gone to hell...

Rockefella
10-29-2006, 11:42 AM
This thread has officially gone to hell...
good.

Quiggs
12-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Anyway...

This thread's been gone for a while. But it is back in black. December is an exciting time for my car. My inspection and state emissions tests are both due by the end of the month. Being a 10 year old VW, with 160k+ miles, the car its fair share of issues. It's always a gamble whether or not the car will pass on its first try.

So we dropped the car off 2 weeks ago at a small shop run by a guy my mom's fiancee Dan knows. He was going to install my exhaust and do the inspection for cheap. His shop's a little busy, since the garage is 2 bays behind his house. So it took a while till we heard anything from him.

When we finally got a call, it was to tell us the exhaust was on the car, and all it needed to pass inspection was a brake line and rear drums. Awesome. Do it. I picked it up today. And I'm once again in love with my car. I turned the key, the motor rumbled to life, and it had a smooth purr. Keeping the door open, I gave it a little throttle and took it up to about 2500. Yay. Amazing.

The exhaust setup I'd ordered was from the same company the last sysetm was- Techtonics Tuning out of Oregon. But this time I opted to spend the extra $60 and get the Flowmaster muffler over the Dynomax. I did this for a couple reasons. The design of the Dynomax wouldn't have worked since the car is now lowered. It would have hung down too low. And second, I didn't have the extra 130 bones that the Borla muffler would have cost me. I thought the Flowmaster was a happy medium. And I'm very pleased with the results.

All together, I got a full cat-back installed, new rear brakes, a new brake line, state inspection and emissions done for $185.

I messed up the video I did today. It didn't start when I wanted it to, and I missed the awesome accidental burnout I did. I was turning out of a parking lot of gravel onto a wet road and went from steady throttle to wide open. The result was lots of wheelspin and the tach pegged at 6000 until the tires bit and into 2nd I went. It was freakin' awesome, but of course the video didn't start for some reason. Sigh. I'll probably go out again tomorrow and get new video and some decent non-blurry pictures of the car post-drop. The ones I took a while back sucked worse than Rocke's mom.

Oh, quick story. I got to work today and I parked next to my buddy Johnny. I turned the car off, and he rolled down his window. He asked to hear my exhaust, so I turned the car back on and took it to 2000 revs nice and easy, then laid into it until it popped the limiter. Then shut it down again. One of the dudes who works in the install bay starts walking over, and says, "nice car. That a VR swap?" I was in shock. I was happy. "Nah, stock two liter," I replied. Turns out he is the owner of the black Mk4 GTI 1.8T I've been drooling over the last few weeks.

johnnynumfiv
12-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Seeing how someone asked about the VR swap, you must do the swap. Now. Sell yourself to fund the projekt.

Quiggs
12-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Seeing how someone asked about the VR swap, you must do the swap. Now. Sell yourself to fund the projekt.
J#5 is so Euro it hurts.

P3RG4R3C
12-14-2006, 06:29 AM
run by a guy my mom's fiancee Dan knows

Isn't his name Damian? :confused:

baddabang
12-14-2006, 06:47 AM

BHAHAHAHAHAAH PWND!!!!!!!!

johnnynumfiv
12-14-2006, 08:36 AM
This made my day.:D

Quiggs
12-14-2006, 09:04 AM
You tryin' to get stabbed, huh? :rolleyes:

baddabang
12-14-2006, 09:18 AM
You tryin' to get stabbed, huh? :rolleyes:

Relax Quiggs you know that post was sig worthy. :D :D

Quiggs
12-14-2006, 02:20 PM
More pics, more videos. My car is a beast.

I <3 my car more than ever now. :)

Quiggs
12-14-2006, 02:21 PM
moar picz lawl!!!1!1

Timeh
12-14-2006, 02:26 PM
moar picz lawl!!!1!1

Thats a pretty cexy shoe :rolleyes:

Nice car! You should lower it so its laying on the frame hehe.

EDIT: I tried 1.8T speak but I suck, so I made it english.

baddabang
12-14-2006, 02:37 PM
ZOMG the sound is betars then buttsecks!!!

johnnynumfiv
12-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Would I be allowed to hump der golf is saw it in person?

Quiggs
12-14-2006, 02:40 PM
Only if you bought it dinner before hand, and promised to call the next day.

baddabang
12-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Only if you bought it dinner before hand, and promised to call the next day.

what does she eat?

johnnynumfiv
12-14-2006, 02:41 PM
what does she eat?
Since it's high compression, and has a turbo, it eats 83 octane.

Quiggs
12-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Since it's high compression, and has a turbo, it eats 83 octane.
Roflwagen.

whiteballz
12-14-2006, 06:17 PM
83 octane??

??que?? i thought turbo's ran better on higher octane fuels?

baddabang
12-14-2006, 06:30 PM
83 octane??

??que?? i thought turbo's ran better on higher octane fuels?

It was a joke pointed toward HighTower

Spastik_Roach
12-16-2006, 03:40 AM
moar picz lawl!!!1!1

i seez 2.0 but no 1.8tehbo?

u waitn for sum1 to giv u 1?

u dum!

Quiggs
03-17-2007, 08:43 PM
So after a short hiatus, this thread has returned. It disappeared mainly due to winter. There was even a time when I was contemplating getting a Mk5 GTI this year. I still am, but realize that a built turbo 3.0L VR with a 6 speed for the summer and a 1.8T A4 for the winter is a much more reasonable thing to do.

Anywho, this winter has not been kind to der Uber-Wagen. Both my high beams in my Abt dual rounds and both of my eBay cheap-o fog lights have cracks in them from rocks and general Tom-Foolery. So today, I started looking on VWVortex, eBay, eBay Canada, eBay UK, and eBay Germany in hopes of finding someone selling a pair of the discontinued lights. No dice.

What I found instead was a fellow enthusiast close to me selling a brand new, still in the plastic Abt lip. The one that's been discontinued since 1999. So I PMed the guy as to what he was hoping to get. I'm not happy to be paying as much as I am for it, but since it's such a rare piece to begin with, and finding one that hasn't been painted or installed, it's worth it in the end.

So tomorrow after work I'll be driving to York, PA to pick it up, and in exchange he'll be getting a large stack of $20 bills.

Pic for reference. Not the one I'm getting.
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/images/mk3abtfs.jpg

The_Canuck
03-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Euro rice?

:D looks good.

my porsche
03-17-2007, 10:03 PM
If you're getting an '07 GTI why spend more money on der uber-golf?

IWantAnAudiRS6
03-18-2007, 02:39 AM
Why not? I'll be spending a healthy amount of money on Kitty (a set of 16" Peugeot Nimrod alloys) before she goes and is replaced by something TDi-powered...

Ferrer
03-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Why not? I'll be spending a healthy amount of money on Kitty (a set of 16" Peugeot Nimrod alloys) before she goes and is replaced by something TDi-powered...
Where's the logic in this? :confused:

The_Canuck
03-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Where's the logic in this? :confused:

Buy wheels that cost 2000, sell the car for 3000 more then you were. :D

IWantAnAudiRS6
03-18-2007, 09:33 AM
They're nowhere near $2000, they're gunna be about $300USD :p

And I'll sell them seperately, if I do get them and want to sell the car.

Quiggs
03-18-2007, 01:30 PM
If you're getting an '07 GTI why spend more money on der uber-golf?

Yea, I kinda don't want to get one anymore. I'm an incredibly fickle person.

Drove down today, picked it up. Nice guy selling it. He runs 2 VW/Audi specialty shops- one that does mainly maintenance/repair work, and one that caters more to the enthusiast side.

When we went in to his shop, there were a few stacks of wheels on the floor, and in the one corner was the lip leaning against the wall. But under it was a Neuspeed front strut bar, a Momo shift knob, and a pair of Abt dual rounds. They were missing both low beams, but the highs were there and intact. I told him that I'd been looking for them and asked how much he wanted for them. $150. Looks like I have something else I'll be buying from him in a few weeks. Then he mentioned that he's a bit of an Abt whore, and had a storage room full of nothing but Abt stuff- pedals, sideskirts, shift knobs. He's got it all (except the floor mats apparently). The lip was even the last unsold one in North America.

So it looks like after my vacation next month, I'll be giving him a call and seeing about those replacement lights and a set of sideskirts. :)

Waugh-terfall
03-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Every cloud has a silver lining, or rather, and unpainted one?

h00t_h00t
03-18-2007, 05:11 PM
That lip thing looks about 40-50mm high, and with your car 60mm lower than it should be will it even fit?

Quiggs
03-18-2007, 05:45 PM
That lip thing looks about 40-50mm high, and with your car 60mm lower than it should be will it even fit?

I have no idea. :) It's not going on for a while anyway, and I'm going to get coilovers this year.

Waugh-terfall
03-19-2007, 03:16 PM

He's going for another job as a snow-plough driver, using his own vehicle for the job