PDA

View Full Version : You want RICE with that?

PerfAdv
09-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Although I heard the term before...what exactly makes a car ricey?

My current understanding: a car with useless modifications (performance-wise). Lots of ornamentation, as in stickers of performance parts manufacturers? Maybe an extra big exhaust tip? Generally applies to but not limited to Japanese cars...........not clueless, just curious. What is your understanding of this growing phenomenon?

**Also It would be nice to have a posting area of the truly ricey - let it be here. It could be instructional for over enthusiatic car lovers who may otherwise become ricers.

Sweeney921
09-29-2004, 06:11 PM
rice is generally an over-modded japanese import. it's called rice because rice (the food) usually comes from japan

baddabang
09-29-2004, 06:37 PM
**Also It would be nice to have a posting area of the truly ricey - let it be here. It could be instructional for over enthusiatic car lovers who may otherwise become ricers.

No Please dont, its ultimate car page, Ricers are not ultimate.

jcp123
09-29-2004, 06:57 PM
pretty much it's the guys with body kits and park bench spoilers on bone ass stock civics and such. but it can be on any car, ive seen plenty of riced mustangs, camaros and bmw's too.

Rockefella
09-29-2004, 07:06 PM
generally, a huge tin can exhaust, discolored body kits, tasteless + huge bodykits, an oversized spoiler that's supposed to look "good", tasteless neon, ugly asian/tuning company stickers; these usually being placed on japanese car companies such as honda or acura. my 2 cents.

Renesis
09-29-2004, 07:14 PM
rice....
Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements

noun: anything relating to the "fast and the furious"
(which should be renamed "goofy-ass white boy gets a sweepstakes at autozone")

Edit: I hate RICE!!!

jcp123
09-29-2004, 07:19 PM
rice: it's not a car, it's an attitude

PsychoChimp22
09-29-2004, 08:50 PM
I kinda like the idea of a "ricer arena" (for the sake of seperation from the rest of that site) so that those people who really do think its cool.... but there are like 3 people who after a year at this forum have come out of the closet, so it probably wont be to successful.

PsychoChimp22
09-29-2004, 08:51 PM
rice: it's not a car, it's an attitude

lol - I dont know if ur pro aor against the ricer ways, but i found that hilarious. "mental rep"

jcp123
09-29-2004, 09:43 PM
i dont like ricers, but i like a good japanese car (the Datsun 510 and early Z's come to mind), so im just sayin that a japanese car doesnt automatically mean rice.

IBrake4Rainbows
09-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Hell, anyone seen a riced Neon? It's like Americans imitating those who used to imitate them. What's with that?

And even Europeans have been Ricing cars for a while now....

PerfAdv
09-29-2004, 11:10 PM
Timing. Right after I started this thread....I noticed the Exige's rice challenge. I for one am all for stealth, a Q-ship. Its nice to have some tasteful mods, just to personalize the car but I better understand the all-show-no-go rice-mobile. On the other hand there are really fast mods, what are they saying? Ticket me I'm fast and flashy. Why cause attention: I once saw an extremely lowered pickup get pulled over for just changing lanes quickly.

I hope to never rice, toooooooooo tacky. But ricing adds to the broad spectrum of the car culture, enriching it. All kinds make it a complete picture. So in the end, to rice or not to rice is your choice.

jcp123
09-29-2004, 11:43 PM
Hell, anyone seen a riced Neon? It's like Americans imitating those who used to imitate them. What's with that?

And even Europeans have been Ricing cars for a while now....

you name it, i've seen it riced. bmw's, mercedes, audis, probes, neons, cavaliers, focus (foci?), mustangs, camaros, even more than a few chevy trucks. it's sad.

fa22_raptor
09-30-2004, 12:09 AM
Timing. I hope to never rice, toooooooooo tacky. But ricing adds to the broad spectrum of the car culture, enriching it. All kinds make it a complete picture. So in the end, to rice or not to rice is your choice.

No, ricing does do any good to the "spectrum of the car culture" and DEFINITELY does not enrich it. The name "rice" carries the implication of utterly tasteless and purely stupid modifications. How does this enrich the spectrum of the car culture? Modifying your car be it aesthetically or performance-wise does not make it "ricey" straight away, but the belief that stickers and tasteless additions to the car make it go twice as fast is ricey.

Spastik_Roach
09-30-2004, 01:37 AM
Vauxhaul Corsa/Puggy 206/Ford Fiesta all those sorts of cars in Europe get subjected to harsh ricing in europe.

PerfAdv
09-30-2004, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=fa22_raptor]No, ricing does do any good to the "spectrum of the car culture" and DEFINITELY does not enrich it. The name "rice" carries the implication of utterly tasteless and purely stupid modifications. How does this enrich the spectrum of the car culture?

I'm not disagreeing with you about their uselessness or tastelessness but imagine only stock cars or super well-done Breytons, Hamanns, Oitengers, HKS and the like and nothing else. Kind of a 'Stepford' scene, isn't it.

Here in car-crazy Southern California you see all kinds. The Muscle-car crowd with cromed everything, the low-riders with painted murals and hydrolics to bounce around(when they fancy), the rapper/athlete wannabes with 20+ inch Wheels on their SUVs. Personally, I'd be embarassed to drive around in such a spectacle . You can't deny that these guys add to the spectrum of car culture.

Now the ricer is just fulfilling his auto hobby with a different kind of flash.

Modifying your car be it aesthetically or performance-wise does not make it "ricey" straight away, but the belief that stickers and tasteless additions to the car make it go twice as fast is ricey.

No, it doesn't. But are their really people who think that putting stickers can make their cars faster. I doubt it, I think it's kind of like war-painting your face. Showing other motorists your are a serious driver...I don't get the stickers either...I've got these mods, watchout!!

Blue Supra
10-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Ive seen a riced HSV GTO, nothing is sacred to these people:(

GTR Dreamer
10-05-2004, 02:35 PM
its not just the way they inhance them ridiculisly, but how they think it is fast afterwards...and remember adding a ferrari badge(fake of course) will give your car and extra 200hp, oh and dont forget the stickers!

taz_rocks_miami
10-05-2004, 03:30 PM
its not just the way they inhance them ridiculisly, but how they think it is fast afterwards...and remember adding a ferrari badge(fake of course) will give your car and extra 200hp, oh and dont forget the stickers!

They probably think they fool people into thinking they drive a Ferrari, BMW or what ever sticker they put on the car, sad, very sad.

gtrjazz
10-05-2004, 03:33 PM
cool ! :D

taz_rocks_miami
10-05-2004, 03:39 PM
cool ! :D

Please tell me that's a chop!! No one can have such bad taste that they would actualy drive that around!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

gtrjazz
10-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Its a real Jap car :eek: Nice ;) There is a 57 Chevy to his right going cheap WHY?

my porsche
10-05-2004, 03:42 PM
nice, i think the pick nick table attached on the front adds around 900N of downforce

Esperante
10-05-2004, 03:52 PM
ah yes, let's rice up our crappy economy jap cars and let the '57 Chevy rust away.

WHAT KIND OF WORLD DO WE LIVE IN?????

my porsche
10-05-2004, 04:00 PM
a nasty one