PDA

View Full Version : Vauxhall Nova

phathash
10-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Is it a modding classic or a rubbish scallymobile? Discuss. I'm sittin on the fence for this one. Don't want guys in burberry caps and stripy jumpers brickin my house...........

Mustang
10-03-2004, 12:19 PM
they are literally a pile of shit used by scallies that think they are 'special' i wouldnt be seen dead in one

RS6
10-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Now what can I say about the Nova.

It is slow, ugly, useless etc.

Basically, the car is a nightmare to drive, be inside, see drive past.

There is only one word to describe the Vauxhall Nova: SHIT!

McLareN
10-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Now what can I say about the Nova.

It is slow, ugly, useless etc.

Basically, the car is a nightmare to drive, be inside, see drive past.

There is only one word to describe the Vauxhall Nova: SHIT!

ROFL :D:D, i dont know the car, but it must be a really bad one.

paul
10-03-2004, 12:42 PM
im not looking to be shot down in flames here but i must say i do like the square looks of a nova i know they are so so slow and the most of englands pikies/scalies/neds and complete twats drive them but i think they are ok if done up the right way

this is my mates one> he has got it pushing 110bhp being a 1.4

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/paulchalt/front.jpg

VtecMini
10-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Haha!!! Great topic that man!

I personally hate the things purely for their chav-tastic image. But I've never driven one, so I think it would be really unfair to dismiss it as a crappy car. I've driven a few Corsas, the model that succeeded the Nova. Didn't think much to it. Three cyclinder engine my arse!

I've heard of people putting tuned Calibra Turbo engines in Novas. Chavmobile or no, 220bhp in something that small and light has got to be scary.

Mustang
10-03-2004, 01:09 PM
Three cyclinder engine my arse!

where did that come from ?

cuntukimushroom
10-03-2004, 01:20 PM
SupaNova!!!!!!!! lol

VtecMini
10-03-2004, 01:29 PM
where did that come from ?

It was kinda sposed to say Cylinder. The Corsa I drove has the 1 litre, which only has three cylinders. Just seems kinda wrong. :)

Having said that, the first Mini plan had it down as a two cylinder, one of which is for sale on ebay apparently. I'm not sure if the story totally checks out, I haven't had the time or inclination to find out, but if it's true then it's an interesting bit of motor memorabilia.

two cylinder Mini engine (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43122&item=2491597624&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

RS6
10-03-2004, 01:30 PM
That pic you posted Paul had me on the floor laughing. You should tell your mate to stop wasting money on that shit-heap and instead of making a slow car faster (and worth less money) he should by a better car with the money he is spending.

paul
10-03-2004, 01:40 PM
he has done nothing to it apart from a single wiper conversion he bought it like that

and yes he is selling it for a better car he has had enough but i still think that they are not as bad as people say

i think is a hobby that people take up trying to make crappy slow cars to go much faster

5_door owner
10-06-2004, 04:50 PM
im sorry guys but how narrow minded are the people that use this site ( sorry to insult but you have hit a nerve on this subject)

just because a few chav's/townies/scallie's (whatever you call em near you) decided to stick on half of halfords to their nova's automatically when people now see a nova they try and spot the wiper spoilers and bakebean can exhausts ad neon washer jets, tbh this is a small minority ruining the nova's reputation, and putting the enthusiasts in their shadow's

they are literally a pile of shit used by scallies that think they are 'special'
/\
common view of the nova.

It is slow,

slow??? maybe standard one's but have you ever seen or been a passenger in a nova Xe (2.0l16v) or an nova LET (2.0l 16v turbo)

ugly,

maybe to some ,as like anyother car this is down to personal preference.

useless etc

spend about £2000 on a nova and you will have a car that can beat a lot of cars on the dragstrip and cars costing 10 times that amount, and easily keep up with 600cc sports bikes once traction is gained.

as you may have guessed i like the nova and am soon to have two, one as a road car (wide arch kit, alloys leather int ect..) and a project car that i am goin to fit a 6spd g/box and an LET engine into for trackdays and for going up the 'pod

for all those who know little about the nova / corsa a go to
www.novaload.net

thanks for reading and sorry to offend (if offended)

nath.

p.s if you think there slow please watch this vid of a nova beating a ferrari

http://www.rilot.co.uk/ocuk/360MDvsDDCorsa.avi

Matra et Alpine
10-07-2004, 01:27 AM
im sorry guys but how narrow minded are the people that use this site ( sorry to insult but you have hit a nerve on this subject)

just because a few chav's/townies/scallie's (whatever you call em near you)
I can understand your frustration, but it's fair to say that MOST of Nova's are in the hands of those kind of folks :( You and a few I know are the minority and sadly have to put up with the image that majority give you !!

spend about £2000 on a nova and you will have a car that can beat a lot of cars on the dragstrip and cars costing 10 times that amount,
Not just on the 'strip.
We had a Nova turn up on a trackday with a Cavalier race engine/box, race suspension and from the outside it looked standard - no big arches or wings for this guy.
He looked like a slightly lowered stock Nova.
Well he showed up the Alpine - ON A TWISTY RACE TRACK !!! It was only the slightly better traction out of 2 of the corners that allowed me to SLOWLY real him in !!!!!!
As 5D says, for a small outlay it can be a car that will take on those worth 10 times more. But it will still look like you stole it and are on a joyride :)

PS: That vid looks like the 360-guy didnt' know much about drag'n and we don't see HIS launch - but it DID look as if he thought he should line up beside the tree :) Suspect that he's a noob and the guy in the Nova certainly banged it and knows HIS stuff. That's maybe NOT the car being compared :)

phathash
10-08-2004, 12:14 PM
hmmmmmmmm seems to have gone a bit quiet here nay seems to have silenced you all there. So the final verdict is most novas are owned by wankers but some can be very special indeed. Anyone going to add anything else?

Matra et Alpine
10-08-2004, 12:28 PM
hmmmmmmmm seems to have gone a bit quiet here nay seems to have silenced you all there. So the final verdict is most novas are owned by wankers but some can be very special indeed. Anyone going to add anything else?
Sounds like the Enzo and Prius

( and pretty much every other car out there :) )

butler
12-18-2006, 02:02 PM
I love the nova!!! it's bloody fast, bloody lovely and so early 90's chic!
And if anyone wants to buy one look at mine on ebay rare silk violet gsi 1.6 item number removed u know it's nice!!!!!!!!!!!!! even if the drive way isn't.

Please do not post with the intention of a sale or spam.

LandQuail
12-18-2006, 07:15 PM
What makes the Nova less appealing than ageing hot-hatch reps like the Pugeot 206GTi or Renault Clio Williams? It looks the part, and with a bit of tinkering with the engine and suspension you could have a car that's broadly similar without paying the premium the now-legendary handfull of hot hatches demand these days.

On the other hand, with a bit of tinkering you could be proud owner of a car that looks like it could, at any time, turn into a big robot wielding a corroding exhaust-can bazooka and, while in car guise, sits shakily on nauseating wheels and rock-hard springs with suspension members a quarter-inch removed from the bump-stops.

It could even have ... shudder ... lights on the valve stems.

Is the Nova a heap? Speaking from a position of complete ignorance of the car, I'd say maybe. If done right, it could be an owner's best kept racetrack and backroad secret, if done wrong, it could star in Return to Brokeback Mountain.

IBrake4Rainbows
12-18-2006, 07:30 PM
it's because those cars have become cult icons looked after by enthusiasts. the Nova has a reputation for being bought by Chavs (those of undesirable characteristics), tarted up physically (but the internals left unchecked - the equivalent of a Blonde getting a boob job) and driven loudly round High Streets.

I agree - done right these cars look fantastic, but for the most part the cosmetic tweaks and fart-cans these cars are usually subjected to ruins the image for the others.