PDA

View Full Version : I Robot

QuattroMan
10-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Audi has been participating as an automobile partner in major movie productions for many years. In addition to John Frankenheimer's action classic "Ronin" with Jean Reno and Robert De Niro (1998), Audi played the automobile lead in "The Insider" (1999) featuring Academy AwardŽ Winner Russell Crowe, "Mission Impossible II" (starring Tom Cruise, 2000), "The Mothman Prophecies" (starring Richard Gere, 2002), "About a Boy" (starring Hugh Grant, 2002) and Reese Witherspoon's "Legally Blond 2" (2003).

RS6
10-03-2004, 03:44 PM
That car is fantastic. :D

kko
10-03-2004, 04:07 PM
In the movie the car goes 400 mph or sumthing close to that!

F1_Master
10-03-2004, 04:38 PM
I know. A great car. Reminds me alot of the Le Mans model.

Slicks
10-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Cool movie, cool car, although i just cant get used to the wheels like that, it looks so weird...

QuattroMan
10-03-2004, 06:00 PM
IN 2035 I think people will get use to it...what do you think :confused:

Slicks
10-03-2004, 06:13 PM
IN 2035 I think people will get use to it...what do you think :confused:
lol, do they actually plan on making this car or what?

DodgeNitroBIRM
10-03-2004, 06:17 PM
I'd hate to be the poor soul to change the tires. Engineers never think about what the mechanic has to go through, EVER!

Karrmann
10-03-2004, 06:38 PM
ok to change the oil you have to pop pin a to pin b remove the air intake to slot b. then to reach the drain cap you have to shove the transaxle 3 inches till there's a cilck :D

DodgeNitroBIRM
10-03-2004, 06:57 PM
That sounds too simple. Try first breaking your hand in three places, having the strenght to move 50 times your weight, a wrench only 1/4" in lenght and not made by anyone but Audi, hang upside down, and not curse. That's step one to removing the wheel to change the oil so that you can remove the motor so that you can remove the transmission to remove the seat.

Matra et Alpine
10-03-2004, 11:57 PM
As it doesn't have wheels the question is moot :)

However, how you remove a SPHERE - yep the car in the movie is supposed to drive on spheres and hence why it can do some of the crazy moves :) So maybe they are real easy and are held in the same way the ball on your old mouse is :) One simple twist and the 'wheel' falls out to be replaced !!

Or were we talking about the coincept car rather than the movie car ????
:D

McLareN
10-04-2004, 05:07 AM
You guys didn't knew it?
More pics here:
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=1976

danno
10-04-2004, 05:45 AM
i think sphere wheels would be really really cool. wouldnt be that hard to implement, but the only problem is you have no means of propulsion :D

Matra et Alpine
10-04-2004, 06:35 AM
i think sphere wheels would be really really cool. wouldnt be that hard to implement, but the only problem is you have no means of propulsion :D
Been the topic of a pub discussion amongst us techies already :)
So a couple of options .....
- 2 cylinders at 90 degrees to each other which work the same wat the old mouse ball works - but in reverse. Spin the cylinders in the right directions and you can make the sphere move however you want.
- embedded permanent magnets in the wheels and coils surrounding the upper section in the car. Pulsing the coils can make the spehere move in any direction.
- the trans-dimensional-hyper-drive operating off a black hole contained within the sphere is used to distort space and time. By this you can make the wheel move anywhere anytime and provide propulsion.

By the 4th rounds of beers we reckoned the last one is the way to go :)
Just be careful not to get a puncture :) :) :)

QuattroMan
10-04-2004, 07:19 AM
hey guys we might be laughing now, but we never know what could be done in 2035....just look back 10 years back car makers are going crazy just a little in side scoop Audi is actually thinking about it :D

Matra et Alpine
10-04-2004, 10:04 AM
hey guys we might be laughing now, but we never know what could be done in 2035....just look back 10 years back car makers are going crazy just a little in side scoop Audi is actually thinking about it :D
According to the Audi UK press release at the time of the film ....

At the request of movie director Alex Proyas, the mid-engined sports car races through the Chicago of the future not on wheels but on spheres.

So the sphere is down to the director !!
Audi will be concentrating on how they can make even BIGGER grilles for then :)

QuattroMan
10-04-2004, 04:51 PM
According to the Audi UK press release at the time of the film ....

At the request of movie director Alex Proyas, the mid-engined sports car races through the Chicago of the future not on wheels but on spheres.

So the sphere is down to the director !!
Audi will be concentrating on how they can make even BIGGER grilles for then :)

Good question,, I am pretty sure they'll come out with something but don't you think by then the technology will be there?

Matra et Alpine
10-05-2004, 12:54 AM
Good question,, I am pretty sure they'll come out with something but don't you think by then the technology will be there?
ah, the "look how fast computers have advanced" theory which then suggests that everything shoudl advance in some way.

As an alternative view on technology, look at the wheel. It hasn't changed much in 1000s of years and the only BIG advance is 150+ years old and it's the pneumatic tyre :)

Some things are so close to optimum that there isn't scope for improvments :(
So different engines is for sure coming, but the drive is about as efficient as it can get so until we ahve HUGE amounts of power we're not really in a position to utilise less efficient drive systems - levitiation, laser-drive, magnetic propulsion etc.

DodgeNitroBIRM
10-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Speaking of tires, isn't there a rumor that instead of air inflation you will have foam filled tire? IF it's true, how would that work to update the current air inflation tires, or could you?

QuattroMan
10-05-2004, 01:46 PM
ah, the "look how fast computers have advanced" theory which then suggests that everything shoudl advance in some way.

As an alternative view on technology, look at the wheel. It hasn't changed much in 1000s of years and the only BIG advance is 150+ years old and it's the pneumatic tyre :)

Some things are so close to optimum that there isn't scope for improvments :(
So different engines is for sure coming, but the drive is about as efficient as it can get so until we ahve HUGE amounts of power we're not really in a position to utilise less efficient drive systems - levitiation, laser-drive, magnetic propulsion etc.

I honestly think that one they can, that is if humans don't blow up earth w/nuclear bombs :D and I am talking about 2-3 hundred years from know, what do you think? or I am just way out of my mind :D

Matra et Alpine
10-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Speaking of tires, isn't there a rumor that instead of air inflation you will have foam filled tire? IF it's true, how would that work to update the current air inflation tires, or could you?
WRC rally cars run foam-filled tyres today.
It includes air though, what happens there is the foam is compressed by tthe air pressure, any puncture and the pressure drops the foam expands and fills the space. They're not as good as air, but they do work.
With uneven road surfaces it's hard to better the air in a tyre to absorb bumps quickly :9

Matra et Alpine
10-05-2004, 07:05 PM
I honestly think that one they can, that is if humans don't blow up earth w/nuclear bombs :D and I am taking about 2-3 hundred years from know, what do you think? or I am just way out of my mind :D
Well we have to rewrite the laws of physicas that we currently have :)
But I agree, once we find how to get all the energey contained in mass OUT and usable we'll be able to do lots of things as 'effieciency' won't be an issue !!
100s of years out I reckon though :(

QuattroMan
10-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Well we have to rewrite the laws of physicas that we currently have :)
But I agree, once we find how to get all the energey contained in mass OUT and usable we'll be able to do lots of things as 'effieciency' won't be an issue !!
100s of years out I reckon though :(

ya,,,to bad we wont see all the good things that are stored. :mad:

Blue Supra
10-05-2004, 07:57 PM
But we have seen many good things already and none of us are about to drop off the earth, in the next 5 years i reckon ther'll be a major decision from one of the big manufacturers about a renewable fuel source... think of the massive implications we're going to witness and how one day we'll be able to tell our grandkids, "my first car ran on unleaded petrol!" and theyll be like "whats petrol grandpa?":)

QuattroMan
10-06-2004, 09:51 AM
But we have seen many good things already and none of us are about to drop off the earth, in the next 5 years i reckon ther'll be a major decision from one of the big manufacturers about a renewable fuel source... think of the massive implications we're going to witness and how one day we'll be able to tell our grandkids, "my first car ran on unleaded petrol!" and theyll be like "whats petrol grandpa?":)

LOL!!! :D I have a felling as long as we have oil under the earth, the big boys will do any thing to stand in the way of new technology I am a believer on this 100%, you imagine what would happen to middle east "Arabia" this guys make money like crazy they pay off so many people and this are the guys will do any thing...OH WILL!what can we do :mad: :confused:

PsychoChimp22
10-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Uh Oh Speed Bumb!!! Ahhhh!!!!!

Bang!!!
Screeeech!!!
Errrrrrr!!!!
Slam!!!

QuattroMan
10-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Uh Oh Speed Bumb!!! Ahhhh!!!!!

Bang!!!
Screeeech!!!
Errrrrrr!!!!
Slam!!!

yes biggggggg! speed bumb..... :D

PsychoChimp22
10-07-2004, 11:17 AM
lol - Thats one hell of a low rider. :D

IWantAnAudiRS6
10-07-2004, 11:23 AM
As it doesn't have wheels the question is moot :)

However, how you remove a SPHERE - yep the car in the movie is supposed to drive on spheres and hence why it can do some of the crazy moves :) So maybe they are real easy and are held in the same way the ball on your old mouse is :) One simple twist and the 'wheel' falls out to be replaced !!

Or were we talking about the coincept car rather than the movie car ????
:D

You could have the equivalent of wheel spats, but for your spheres...and in the movie the car goes 200mph. Did anybody notice all the cars were Audis? :p the Police cars are A6s...:D Myabe the pursuit cars were RS6s!

skw2378s
10-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Hey Everyone, I have an A6. I was wondering if they released any pictures of the police cars from I robot? I would like to build a model of that car and of the one Will drives. Also has anybody ever thought of tires being gone in about 30 years. I am talking about magnetic force. Take the tires off and put magnetic strips where the tires are. When you take two magnets and make them oppose each other, one of them tends to move in order to match the force. If you have a magnetic type of street and reverse the magnets, it will cause the vehicles to go. I am thinking way outside the box, I'll let you all go now. Thanks for letting me blab on. :)

LandQuail
10-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Spheres... Pfaf! Next thing you know we'll be letting women vote.

Coventrysucks
10-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Hey Everyone, I have an A6. I was wondering if they released any pictures of the police cars from I robot?

The police "squad cars" were, if memory serves, last gen. A6s with spherical wheels.

I would like to build a model of that car and of the one Will drives.

Wait for a kit of the Audi R8 and get yourself 4 ping pong balls.

Also has anybody ever thought of tires being gone in about 30 years. I am talking about magnetic force.

Of course, so long as everyone is a billionaire by then.

Balayanboy
10-14-2006, 12:20 AM
hey lets not forget the Audi A8 W12 used in Transporter 2....awesome car w/amazing stunts...:D

LandQuail
10-17-2006, 09:09 AM
As I recall the Transporter 2 car didn't do much except blow up... Maybe that was Transporter 1...

Anyway, everybody knows that in the future all cars will be powered by nuclear fission and have only one big wheel, like a unicycle. You'll have to buy at least three and lash them together if you don't want the car to fall over at traffic signals. They'll be driven for us by either a "silicon brain" organic AI computer or an underfed migrant worker, depending on trim options and taste, and future Saabs will feature not only an ingnition switch on the console, but an accellerator on the front bumper and brake pedal in the glove compartment.

For a Saab of the future, this will mean having three cars and six underfed migrant workers working in unison. It will be amazing.