PDA

View Full Version : Cars that SHOULD have been built

BiTurbo
10-16-2003, 12:34 AM
The fact that GMH (General Motors Holden Australia) didn't build this car is another testament to why 'bean counters' should be shot first and asked questions later!
Just like the proposed 427ci Monaro (GTO) - 'bean counters' again.

This is the Torana GTR X
1969/70
3 were built
45" high
68" wide
164.5" long
4 speed box
160BHP
186ci in line 6cy

Misho
10-18-2003, 12:34 PM
The Chevy SS Concept shown last year. That sedan with a coupe profile design was amazing !! Given a good engine, high quality fit and finish, that car would have been hard to stop !!

megotmea7
10-18-2003, 04:18 PM
the cadillac sixteen, that was great, while it wouldnt have a market and would probly have been canceled in a year it was a cool car

Batmobile_Turbo
10-20-2003, 04:33 PM
actually i've heard that cadillac might build a car based on the sixteen, but with a V-12. one car i think should have been produced in limited numbers should have been the ford GT90.

DwZX35
10-22-2003, 06:29 PM
Ferrari Rosso Concept

austinreed2
10-23-2003, 05:54 PM
they should have built thebuggati veyron 16/4!!

BiTurbo
10-23-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by austinreed2
They're not?
Bummer

henk4
11-13-2003, 03:17 PM
the fiat 130 Opera.
The Ferrari Pinin
Lamborghini Flying Star
Maserati Boomerang

(actually they were built but only once)

sandwich
11-22-2003, 08:19 PM
Be em UU.

Em 1.

Dang, that would've been a sweet car.

henk4
11-23-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by sandwich
Be em UU.

Em 1.

Dang, that would've been a sweet car.

do you mean this one?

BiTurbo
11-23-2003, 04:49 PM
Pontiac GTO 427
World beater
Devours Ferrari's, 911's and Lambo's in it's stride -
even when cruisin' at 5,000 rpm -
and gets better fuel mileage as well!
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha heheheheheh
sorry couldn't help myself hehehehehehehe....
:D

BMW Lover
11-30-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by BiTurbo
Pontiac GTO 427
World beater
Devours Ferrari's, 911's and Lambo's in it's stride -
even when cruisin' at 5,000 rpm -
and gets better fuel mileage as well!
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha heheheheheh
sorry couldn't help myself hehehehehehehe....

i think u r in the wrong thread;)

Egg Nog
12-01-2003, 02:08 AM
Should've been built? One car stands out in my mind:

1995 Lamorghini/Italdesign Cala

Beautiful.

sandwich
12-01-2003, 08:32 PM
dude, that red x is hella sweet.

yes, the bmw m1 was IMO a supercar.

Egg Nog
12-03-2003, 12:33 AM
Oops... damn it, sorry. :)

These should work:

http://home.swipnet.se/eurenius_design/calastopsign.jpg

http://home.swipnet.se/eurenius_design/calabeach.jpg

Bob
12-16-2003, 07:34 PM
The jet turbine engine concept cars of the '50s. Yes they were slow, and due to the jet you had to wait 5 or 6 seconds for the engine to respond if you wre stopped... but the exhaust temperature was around 3000º from huge nozzle in the back. If there was even one on the road- can you imagine cruisin down the highway, you pull in front of a Toyota, and it melts? Or you back in to park and light a few people on fire? Those cars also had pretty cool cockpits; they were one seaters and it took two or three minutes to remove the bubble top so you could get out. Too bad they were slow, I think top speed was only around 120.

BiTurbo
12-16-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Bob
The jet turbine engine concept cars of the '50s.
... but the exhaust temperature was around 3000º from huge nozzle ....
you pull in front of a Toyota, and it melts? Or you back in to park and light a few people on fire? .....
Sounds great to me. :)

fpv_gtho
12-17-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by BMW Lover
i think u r in the wrong thread;)

He's just going on about the Holden Monaro (aka Pontiac GTO) that was shown at the 2002 Sydney Motor Show and 2003 Melbourne Motor Show fitted with the 427 engine from a Corvette C5R and suspension and modified gearbox from a Holden V8 Supercar, that never made it to production from lack of development funds. Coincidently though its raced for 2 years in Australia's premium production race category "Nations Cup" despite racing as a prototype.

BiTurbo
12-17-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by fpv_gtho
He's just going on about the Holden Monaro (aka Pontiac GTO) that was shown at the 2002 Sydney Motor Show and 2003 Melbourne Motor Show fitted with the 427 engine from a Corvette C5R and suspension and modified gearbox from a Holden V8 Supercar, that never made it to production from lack of development funds. Coincidently though its raced for 2 years in Australia's premium production race category "Nations Cup" despite racing as a prototype.
You forgot to mention that it won both times. :D
thread...
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=962&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

fpv_gtho
12-17-2003, 10:18 PM
won nations cup? im not too sure about that, your getting confised with the 24hr race. and i think your taking the idea of the pontiac gto 427 being a world beater a bit too far.

kennyknoxville
12-18-2003, 07:00 PM
nissan mid-4.

honda took its styling and used it for the NSX.

and some of its AWD technology got used in the skylines.

either way, gr8 car as white devil would say.

http://zhome.com/History/Images/MID4_6.jpg

more info (http://zhome.com/History/MID-4.htm)

fpv_gtho
12-18-2003, 07:09 PM
that looks like a pretty neat car, it looks alot shorter than the NSX though. is that the engine sticking out at the back?

kennyknoxville
12-18-2003, 07:15 PM
yea, its mid engined twin turbo.

fpv_gtho
12-18-2003, 07:21 PM
when i first saw it, i though the rear deck looked shallow, now that just confirms it if the engines poking its head out the top, metaphorically speaking

Egg Nog
12-18-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by kennyknoxville
nissan mid-4.

honda took its styling and used it for the NSX.

and some of its AWD technology got used in the skylines.

either way, gr8 car as white devil would say.

more info (http://zhome.com/History/MID-4.htm)

Woah. That is unbeleivably amazing. I completely, utterly, and entirely love it. Was it supposed to be is the class of the NSX, or was it supposed to be more of a competitor to the Toyota MR2?

fpv_gtho
12-18-2003, 08:15 PM
it looks about the size of an MR-2

BiTurbo
12-18-2003, 09:47 PM
You guys are joking - aren't you???
This is December 2003 -
what superlative design features does that car emcompass?? -
the huge engine scoop?? -
maybe its there to suck in extra fuel and unburnt benzines from the air to improve its economy.
It's an utterly boring, rear engine (gee wiz an engine in the back :) ), car.

A good example of a superlative design that came off the drawing board 5 years ago is this!.......

kennyknoxville
12-18-2003, 10:17 PM
This is December 2003 -
maybe its there to suck in extra fuel and unburnt benzines from the air to improve its economy.

A good example of a superlative design that came off the drawing board 5 years ago is this!.......

good, put down my contribution :o :(

at least i stick to the topic of my own threads, the exige is a production car.

crisis
12-18-2003, 10:32 PM
The only design function that the Lotus features is that of an equivalent motorcycle. It may be one of the best light weight purpose built sports cars but its design aesthitcally leaves me cold. Far from a superlative design it is a targetted compromise. Like everyhting else.

fpv_gtho
12-18-2003, 10:48 PM
This is December 2003 -

gees, calm down

BiTurbo
12-18-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by fpv_gtho
gees, calm down
Shut the F.... up you w.......
ther is a smiley face in my post.

BiTurbo
12-19-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by crisis
The only design function that the Lotus features is that of an equivalent motorcycle. It may be one of the best light weight purpose built sports cars but its design aesthitcally leaves me cold. Far from a superlative design it is a targetted compromise. Like everyhting else.
You're wrong -
despite any further protestations you might claim about how it's your opinion against mine -
the fact is -
the exige IS superlative -
with flowing lines, understated accents (the air intakes for example), unbelievable road holding, easily driven in suburbia, comfortable driving position, 4.6sec 0-60, 100hp per litre, no turbo - etc etc
ONE OF A KIND.

fpv_gtho
12-19-2003, 01:37 AM
easily driven in suburbia, comfortable driving position

thats debatable, i see the car as one of the hardest to drive and quite possibly one of the most uncomfortable

crisis
12-21-2003, 05:11 PM
You're wrong -
despite any further protestations you might claim about how it's your opinion against mine -
the fact is -
with flowing lines, understated accents (the air intakes for example), unbelievable road holding, easily driven in suburbia, comfortable driving position, ONE OF A KIND.
In your opinion.

HoldenHFV6
12-21-2003, 09:43 PM
I think a car that really should have been built is the Commodore SSX. Unfortunantly it will never see the light of day. It was built to give an indication of what Holden could do with AWD. Sweet car though

fpv_gtho
12-21-2003, 09:50 PM
holden im guessing will put AWD under the sedan body in the near future though like they did with the Coupe4 though. the SSX got alot of people going gaga but i see it as more of a demonstration of design innovation more than anything else. alot of people saw it simply as a V8 AWD

Egg Nog
12-24-2003, 03:10 AM
You're wrong -
the fact is -
with flowing lines, understated accents (the air intakes for example), unbelievable road holding, easily driven in suburbia, comfortable driving position, 4.6sec 0-60, 100hp per litre, no turbo - etc etc
ONE OF A KIND.

Woah there... nobody said "OMG TH4 NISSAN MID4 IS BETTAR THAN THE EXIGE@!$^*(@!!!". Your comparison is useless, seeing as I didn't compare the mid-4 to anything, except for asking of its potential competitors. That's great that the Exige has "unbelievable road holding, easily driven in suburbia, comfortable driving position". In fact, I'm a massive fan of it, and it's one of my favorite cars. However, its totally useless that you bring up comfort and driveability, because we're talking about the very most general things relating to a totally different car.

My question: Would the Nissan Mid-4 be in the class of the MR2 or the NSX?

Your answer: THE EXIGE KICKS ASS!@$&!!!!11

See the irrelevence?

I'm just getting excited because I love mid-engined sports cars, and that it's awesome to see one I've never heard of before. Is that a sin? It's not like it was actually built, discovered to be god-awful, and then I bought one. Maybe then you'd have something decent to complain to me about...

Homem de Gelo
12-24-2003, 07:56 AM
The Peugeot RC concepts. Those cars were fantastic.

henk4
12-24-2003, 08:05 AM
The Peugeot RC concepts. Those cars were fantastic.

Excellent suggestion,
Just for those who have no clue, here they are, the black is petrol engined, the red one is the diesel

Matra et Alpine
12-24-2003, 08:48 AM
Would have to be the Matra bagheera U8.

Take the 3-abreast seating of the bagheera and double the engine, power and brakes to produce THE Ferrari beater of the seventies.

Story goes that the oil crisis hit just about the same time as the MPG figures were calculated and it was terminated.

Mind you, just as with Lotus' achilles heels, the French have a penchant for doing crazy things. The engine was two 4's combining output from each crank to a single drive. ( As VW did with the U12 - but 30 years further on !! )

The other still-born Matra was the M25 from 1987.
Pre-dated the Lotus Elise/VX220 by a bit and had performance to show them up even today.
But Matra were consigned by Renault to only build Espace and NOT compete with their attempts at fast road cars - pah !!

henk4
12-24-2003, 09:22 AM
here's a better picture of the U8 engine, it was shown at Retromobile not so long ago. impressive engine

MrVette83
02-19-2004, 04:24 PM

They are building the 16/4, in very limited numbers. The sticker price is 1.2million and as happened with the Enzo, you can predict that to be less than what they sell for. The initial production run is to be 50, but from what i understand they may build more if the demand is there.

Rijoh
02-20-2004, 07:16 AM
The Jaguar XK180/F-type should have been built.
Ford cancelled it, bastards :mad:

Spastik_Roach
02-28-2004, 02:12 PM
Yeah I totally agree with you Rijoh, Jaguar needed the F-type like a duckie needs water. Heres my contribution, the Plymouth Pronto Spyder. Great looking car! And least we forget the Volkswagen W12, so close but no pie.

MyRx7
03-01-2004, 07:54 PM
They are building the 16/4, in very limited numbers. The sticker price is 1.2million and as happened with the Enzo, you can predict that to be less than what they sell for. The initial production run is to be 50, but from what i understand they may build more if the demand is there.
r u talking in euros?
cause i heard in some newspaper that the sticker price was apporx. 3 mill Australian.

Doza
03-03-2004, 08:07 PM
The concept of the Chevrolet SST truck. The production SS has an automatic transmission :( and only 345hp, while the SST had a 6 speed and 480 hp and 475 ft-lbs of torque.

Spastik_Roach
03-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Emissions.... Wait... America made the Ford Excursion....

Doza
03-06-2004, 08:41 AM
Emissions.... Wait... America made the Ford Excursion....
Right. Emissions, the reason you should always hate hippies.