PDA

View Full Version : Bhp

Batmobile_Turbo
10-19-2003, 10:15 AM
is BHP the same as HP or something different? for example: a certaincar has 500 BHP doesthis mean it has 500 horsepower?

Egg Nog
10-19-2003, 03:09 PM
I know that it means "brake horse power"... I suppose maybe it's measured at the brakes somehow? Other than what it stands for, I'm actually not really sure :)

Red line
10-19-2003, 03:35 PM
I found this info. at a site but it is a little complicated, hope it helps...

brake horsepower:
(bhp) A measurement of the actual usable power (not calculated power) measured at the output shaft (usually the crankshaft)
rather than at the driveshaft or the wheels. Thus none of the auxiliaries (gearbox, generator, alternator, differential, water pump, etc.) are attached.

It is called the brake horsepower because the shaft power is usually measured by an absorption dynamometer or "brake."
This is not the brake on the vehicle's wheels but a testing device applied to the shaft. This instrument is applied to stop or absorb the rotation of the output shaft and returns a value.

Batmobile_Turbo
10-19-2003, 08:42 PM
i think that, from what i've heard that BHP is different than HP. but now i understand how BHP is measured though

Egg Nog
10-20-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Batmobile_Turbo
i think that, from what i've heard that BHP is different than HP. but now i understand how BHP is measured though

Well, HP at the crank, BHP, and RWHP will all be different on the same car. Naturally, the most effective measurement is RWHP, because its what gets to the ground that counts; Imagine a 500hp car with 350 RWHP... that's a hell of a lot of drivetrain loss, but the manufacturer will surely call it a 500hp car.

Batmobile_Turbo
10-21-2003, 08:14 PM
what does RWHP stand for?

Misho
10-21-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Batmobile_Turbo
what does RWHP stand for?

Rear Wheel Horse Power

is it called FWHP for front drivers ?

Egg Nog
10-22-2003, 09:43 PM
Sure is...

I don't think I've ever heard "AWHP" before :) but I suppose you could use it as well :)

megotmea7
10-24-2003, 12:47 AM
why not just say "whp"? pretty much covers everything

Prowl
10-24-2003, 08:05 PM
yeah, bhp to the wheels, on a dyno. what the enigine makes is measured in net horses