PDA

View Full Version : Squire

Wouter Melissen
10-08-2004, 03:02 AM
For next week's update I've just completed an article about the 'Squire'. It was designed by Adrian Squire, at the age of just 21. Unfortunately the factory went bust after only seven examples were constructed. He died in a 1940 bombing raid at the age of just 30, while working in the Bristol factory. Makes one wonder how much better the Bristol cars could have been, would he had lived.

Comparing the Alfa Romeo 8C 2300, Bugatti Type 55 and Squire, ex-World Champion commented: "I was continually reminded that the Alfa and Bugatti were excellent examples of the automobiles of the times, but the Squire was the car of the future". That's pretty amazing for a car designed by someone my age, especially considering the cars it's compared to.

I for one had never heard of it, until Rob sent over his Pebble Beach pictures. Makes me wonder how many more gems will turn up in the next few years.

Six still survive today and I for one am dying to see one in the metal!

drakkie
10-08-2004, 06:22 AM
what a nice car...never heard of squire before too.these things must cost a fortune these days..

cuntukimushroom
10-08-2004, 09:48 AM
how much did they cost? and how much do they cost now?

Wouter Melissen
10-08-2004, 09:58 AM
They were 1100 pounds new, that's three times as much as the contemporary SS/Jaguar. It was one of the reasons they didn't sell well. Can't say how much they go for now.

PerfAdv
10-08-2004, 10:59 AM
The control arms in the suspension look so modern, impressive. I've wondered about the paint on these concours cars, did the original have such sheen and texture or is this a modern paint job?