EvilPaladin
05-19-2004, 07:46 AM
Sweet,... :D

Sweeney921
05-19-2004, 07:48 AM
I don't like it

Slicks
05-19-2004, 08:57 AM
I saw that on another forum just the other day! I love it!

<<CAR EXPERT>>
05-19-2004, 09:17 AM
I think the same as jones.dk:

It looooks totaly like a lambo gallardo

DB9Vantage
05-19-2004, 10:24 AM
That pic is really really old .... if the issue of Autocar wasn't in the attic then I'd tell you the exact date it appeared. I hope you all know that is just a computer generated image that Autocar made to show what they thought it will loke like.

porscayen
05-19-2004, 10:54 AM
finally a radical change.
Who the owner of Lotus now? :confused:

Dino Scuderia
05-19-2004, 12:22 PM
I wish Lotus had made the M250 the next Esprit instead of killing the project.

Coventrysucks
05-19-2004, 01:44 PM
That pic is really really old .... if the issue of Autocar wasn't in the attic then I'd tell you the exact date it appeared. I hope you all know that is just a computer generated image that Autocar made to show what they thought it will loke like.

I you can manage to dust off your copy of the Feburary Autocar, you will find in the article that they have a few of the designers sketches, and photos of Steve Cropley sitting in the seating buck, and being shown various bits of info on the new car at Lotus.

I don't really think they made it up, I would say that it is a very educated estiamte. ;)

It also talks of how they are considering front engined varients of the chassis to allow them to build front mid engined and 4 seater cars :)

Edit: Lotus is owned by Proton.

NAZCA C2
05-19-2004, 04:02 PM
How come every month pictures of a new concept sportscar come out and they all look like the Lamborghini Gallardo?? I hate the styling of all these cars (Gallardo, Lotus Esprit, Toyota also has a concept car this styling). The current Esprit looks great there is no reason to drastically change the looks. Lotus should just upgrade the current Espirt with new engine, suspension, ect.

werty
05-19-2004, 04:55 PM
i think overall it looks like a gallardo, but the side windows looks like the enzo's

Niko_Fx
05-19-2004, 05:47 PM
Small picture, sorry.

Sweeney921
05-19-2004, 08:01 PM
i actually like it from the side, but the front looks terrible (like a gallardo)

Nigel
05-20-2004, 10:17 PM
the 2003 lotus esprit is one of my favourite cars, and I dont really think that this does it justice. The exige, on the other hand, *drool*
http://www.btinternet.com/~tjthompson/Gallery/exigeside.jpg

Suka
05-20-2004, 11:33 PM
I wish Lotus had made the M250 the next Esprit instead of killing the project.
That is more of an Elise size, not Esprit.
Just out of curiosity, i guess everyone has realised that all the Lotus range starts with an E, the Elite, Esprit, Elan, Elise etc. Does anyone know which was the first Lotus to have a name starting with an E?

Egg Nog
05-21-2004, 12:23 AM
That is more of an Elise size, not Esprit.
Just out of curiosity, i guess everyone has realised that all the Lotus range starts with an E, the Elite, Esprit, Elan, Elise etc. Does anyone know which was the first Lotus to have a name starting with an E?

I suppose the first would've been the Lotus Eleven, though the name was hardly intentional ;)

There's been loads of them over the past decades... the Elite, Europa, Éclat, Elan, Excel, Elise, Exige, Esprit...

A few exceptions to the "E" theme (as far as production models go) would be the 340R, the Carlton, the Six, and the Seven.

Suka
05-21-2004, 08:41 AM
I suppose the first would've been the Lotus Eleven, though the name was hardly intentional ;)
Darn i was hoping for the mystery to go unsolved for a little while longer! My Dad asked me that the other day.

Suka
05-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Ha! I got a rep point for that..........quote name replacement I supose! Who gave that?

Coventrysucks
05-22-2004, 01:44 PM
More pictures from the Autocar article :)

Suka
06-03-2004, 05:15 AM

There's been loads of them over the past decades... the Elite, Europa, Éclat, Elan, Excel, Elise, Exige, Esprit...

A few exceptions to the "E" theme (as far as production models go) would be the 340R, the Carlton, the Six, and the Seven.
Can you tell me why it was called the Eleven instead of the 11.

deffenbaugh03
06-08-2004, 08:43 AM
I am a fan of the current Esprit but its looking kind of old now i think this would be a good replacement

Matra et Alpine
06-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Can you tell me why it was called the Eleven instead of the 11.
From the Autosport magazine of the day when it launched ....

The new model is called the “Eleven”, meaning that it is both Mark XI and 1,100 cc. in capacity.

However, it was regularly called the "XI" in the race entries and articles of the day.

The Eleven was the first Lotus built in such numbers, and it firmly established the company as a serious maker of competition cars. It held such a place in Chapman's heart that future Lotus were given names that recalled it, like Elite and Elan.

and the 'tradition' has continued :)

PsychoChimp22
06-08-2004, 10:28 AM
AHHHH its a Bangled-Lotus :D !!!

Fowler
06-08-2004, 12:29 PM
its a decent design, but i think the early 90's styling its kept all these years did it more justice. alot of the new age styling just doesnt do much justice to cars.

Suka
06-08-2004, 11:50 PM
From the Autosport magazine of the day when it launched ....

The new model is called the “Eleven”, meaning that it is both Mark XI and 1,100 cc. in capacity.

However, it was regularly called the "XI" in the race entries and articles of the day.

The Eleven was the first Lotus built in such numbers, and it firmly established the company as a serious maker of competition cars. It held such a place in Chapman's heart that future Lotus were given names that recalled it, like Elite and Elan.

and the 'tradition' has continued :)

Thats not the real reason i don't think.

Matra et Alpine
06-09-2004, 02:52 AM
Thats not the real reason i don't think.
Well I was quoting journos, so yep it might be wrong :)

But I've never seen ANY other reason put forward for the 'E' being preferred by Chapman.

Koenigsegg_CC
06-09-2004, 09:15 AM
Wow, what a beautuful looking car! Bring on 2006!

Suka
06-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Well I was quoting journos, so yep it might be wrong :)

But I've never seen ANY other reason put forward for the 'E' being preferred by Chapman.
Well the real reason was so that it didn't look like it was a Lotus Mk II, see.
To show it was a new design hence Lotus Eleven. I'm quite pleased that i was the only one to know that.

Matra et Alpine
06-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Well the real reason was so that it didn't look like it was a Lotus Mk II, see.
To show it was a new design hence Lotus Eleven. I'm quite pleased that i was the only one to know that.
But it could have stayed as XI which it was often referred to :)
Is there a quotable reference on that fact ?

A picture of Colin Chapman with a piece of paper over his head saying SUKA is right, UCP rocks will do fine :)

McLareN
10-08-2004, 10:28 AM
I dunno if this is how the next Esprit is gonna be :confused: (those pics could be a photoshop), but anyways would you like that this would be the next Esprit?

taz_rocks_miami
10-08-2004, 10:37 AM
I dunno if this is how the next Esprit is gonna be :confused: (those pics could be a photoshop), but anyways would you like that this would be the next Esprit?

I like it, the current Esprit has had the same look for way to long.

taz_rocks_miami
10-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Check out this thread

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4099

I didn't remember that thread, thanks Niko:)

McLareN
10-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Check out this thread

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4099

What, i've searched :( (2005 lotus Esprit), i feel stupid.
On the other hand, my pic isen't a repost.

SPHFerrari
10-08-2004, 12:07 PM
gallardo copy anyone?

McLareN
10-08-2004, 12:23 PM
gallardo copy anyone?

I think it is very similar to the Gallardo.
Its a cheaper Gallardo :D, ahhhh, i think :confused:.

SPHFerrari
10-08-2004, 02:30 PM
if it looks like that in real life i may like it more

Esperante
10-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Being a HUGE guigario and Esprit fan, I'd have to say the front end does justice to the legacy. The back however, is absolutely terrible and MUST be redone before (and if) it goes into production. And yes, they'd have to make it less similar to the Gallardo if it does.

I have a pic of an orange one (same dimensions, so I bet it's a photoshop) in my Car & Driver magazine from a few months ago.

QuattroMan
10-08-2004, 05:14 PM
nice car but the rear no go............looks to much like cad...

r1ckst4
10-08-2004, 06:05 PM
What?! that car looks so much like a Gallardo!

Lotus should be ashamed of themselves! :mad:

SPHFerrari
10-08-2004, 07:13 PM
you absolutely right about the rear end. its not so much the shape tho, but the lack of any details, its just so bland.

Esperante
10-08-2004, 07:16 PM
I think the reason it looks so much like a Gallardo is because....

IT IS A PHOTOSHOPPED GALLARDO!!!

This is only the concept design, it will be MUCH different when (and if) it gets built.

16-4Veyron
10-08-2004, 09:20 PM
no.... it looks to much not like a lotus. if I had the money Id buy the old one have have money to spare.

Matt
10-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Lotus is currently owned by Proton. You say these drawings look like a Gallardo. Now, check this out and tell me that's not interesting...

Journal: VW May Want Proton Slice

Volkswagen has approached Malaysian automaker Proton about a business arrangement that could give the German manufacturer a leg up in Southeast Asia, the Wall Street Journal reports. VW is reported to be in discussions to effectively take on a role similar to that of Mitsubishi, which gave up its eight-percent stake in Proton in April of this year to focus on its own financial turmoil. Proton shares have increased in value since Thursday, the Journal notes, when VW first disclosed that it was in discussions with Proton. Adding Southeast Asia into its network would complement VW's extensive operations in mainland China, and could give Proton access to a huge distribution channel it now lacks. Proton officials say they are in discussions with at least one other automaker as well.

-www.thecarconnection.com

Matt
10-08-2004, 09:56 PM
I merged the two threads.

ballack
10-09-2004, 12:50 AM
likes Lambo's style, not pure Lotus

Esperante
10-09-2004, 06:22 AM
no.... it looks to much not like a lotus. if I had the money Id buy the old one have have money to spare.

Of course it's a photoshopped Gallardo. Look at this pic, and look right above the tailight on the left side, you can see a small bit of the Gallardo tailights. Not to mention the vent that goes above the Gallardo tailight. Not to mention the vents at the bottom are Gallardo and half-covered and they added some more pipes. Also notice that the tailight is off, the rightside is sticking off the body a bit.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25462