PDA

View Full Version : Excalibur

PsychoChimp22
10-08-2004, 03:39 PM
I know this is going to sound kind of weird because I know absolutly nothing about the car other than that its old and cool looking. It looks like a design from Mercedes or Rools Royce or something like that from a long time ago. I was just wondering if anybody here knows about it, concidering that this is a clasic car forum. All I remember about the car, I saw it like a year ago, is that the hoody was a down facing sword (hance the name excalibur) in a circle. Sorry I dont have any pics, i went back home to get my camera, road back and it was gone. :mad:

McLareN
10-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Imo the car looks great, i dunno much about it m8.
Heres a pic for you (sorry about the res) :):

PsychoChimp22
10-08-2004, 04:06 PM
wow - that was quick. lol
Thanks, that was it. Accept it was all white, no grey, the top was down exposing sweeet leather seats, and the sun was shining. :)
And maybe its just that pic, but I would like to point out that all teh metal surfaces on the one I saw were more shiney than that one, almost chrome.

Bear87G
10-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I am almost positive that is a replica of a Mercedes 500k from around '34 or its a '29 SSK. Both cars look fairly alike so not quite sure since the picture does not really show exact details. The 500K is one of the most popular replica's for Mercedes. That Excalibur there is a replica as I can tell just by the paint work. If it wasn't it would be worth quite a lot!

Bear

F1_Master
10-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Ugly. Eww...
Sry, almost any car that looks like is butt ugly.

PsychoChimp22
10-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Im not at all a fan of most clasics, but I do like this one.

junaman
10-09-2004, 09:20 PM
Here are some more Excaliburs

PerfAdv
10-09-2004, 09:38 PM
What type of engine does the Excalibur have? Where is it made and is it still in production?

jcp123
10-10-2004, 01:15 AM
Excaliburs were made in the lade 70's and the 80's, based on the 30's Mercedes. You could usually get just about any engine you wanted, but most ran on Ford 302/5.0's. Never thought they were terribly good replicas, but hey, they sold pretty well, so who am I to argue with that.

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:15 AM
The Exalibur was built right here in Milwaukee, and I have to say with a tear that just about a month ago the old factory on the south side where they were built has been torn down to be replaced by a warehouse. :(

Designed by Milwaukee native Brook Stevens, my ultimate idol, famous for the Hiawatha Trains, the Wiener Mobile, the Briggs & Stratton 6-wheel car concept (also a Milwaukee company), the original Jeepster, and countless more. I believe the Excalibur is powered by a Mustang engine in their late years. if you are interested in Excaliburs, also look up Zimmers, which I believe came later and are heavily based off the Mustang.

The first one, maroon, is a Zimmer, and the Zimmer you should notice, features Mustang body panels. the rest are Excalibur.

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:18 AM
More Excalibur

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:24 AM
Even More Excalibur

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:26 AM
*pant* Even MORE Excalibur

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:28 AM
If I give you any more Excalibur you'll BLOW UP!!!!

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:31 AM
Ka-BLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:33 AM
So much Excalibur I'm singing 'Give Peace a Chance'

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:36 AM
'All we are saying, is give peace a chance!'

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:39 AM
More Excalibur? How'd you guess, Sherlock?

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:42 AM
Holy Shit! More Excalibur!!

And a bit of some history-
The name EXCALBUR comes from the legend about King Arthur's sword, and means the INVINCIBLE . This magnificent sport car’s history dates back to 1964, when it was created by the American industrial designer Brooks Stevens, he was at that time employed as a consultant with Studebaker. The car was developed on bases of Studebaker Lark Daytona to a modern classic, and had the Mercedes SSK from 1927 as a role model, it was shown the first time on the car exhibition New York Motor Show 1964 with the name Mercebaker. Studebaker didn’t show any interest in producing the car. Stevens wasn’t beaten and presented the car on his own behalf at the exhibition, it turned out to be a great success amongst car enthusiasts. Stevens got so many orders that his two son’s David and William started a business SS-Automobiles and they called the car the legendary name EXCALIBUR. In the mean time Studebaker has stopped production and moved to Canada. So in 1966. David and William Stevens built a Chevy V8 engine with 286 HP for the EXCALIBUR. The EXCALIBUR models series II III and IV got in the seventies and eighties more comfortable but at the same time heavier ( app. 1.800 kg. ) and also more expensive in the eighties a hardtop came on the market but it never became very popular, and didn’t sell as well as the other models. In Denmark 1981 the approximate price was 1.500.000 DK. kr. on the road. In 1991 SS-Automobiles went out of business, no interest in these cars anymore and also because of the high prices.

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:44 AM
Guess What? More Excalibur!

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:47 AM
I think I've posted more pix of a single car than anyone else here.......

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Note the Hummer Limo in the back. Oh yeah, and MORE EXCALIBUR!!!!!!!!!!!

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:51 AM
I'm running out of things to say with MORE EXCALIBUR!

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:54 AM
This one was designed for Gearge Foreman, but Tim Burton, drector of Beavis and Butthead, bought it for his wife (the white one).

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:56 AM
Posted so many Excaliburs I need Prozac...

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:58 AM
I'm downing pain relievers like Rush Limbaugh

Esperante
10-10-2004, 08:59 AM
And now I'm confessing on air

Esperante
10-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Alright, that's it for now, no more....*pant pant*

TIM
10-17-2004, 03:45 PM
If anyone of you is a real Excalibur fan, this page is a must. You'll find almost every answer to any question you have on this marque. Somebody invested a lot of work in this site, that's for sure:

http://www.excaliburautomobile.com

My favourite is the Michelotti-built Excalibur 35X:

http://www.excaliburautomobile.com/Image/35XP1.jpg :)

jcp123
10-17-2004, 10:19 PM
If anyone of you is a real Excalibur fan, this page is a must. You'll find almost every answer to any question you have on this marque. Somebody invested a lot of work in this site, that's for sure:

http://www.excaliburautomobile.com

My favourite is the Michelotti-built Excalibur 35X:

http://www.excaliburautomobile.com/Image/35XP1.jpg :)

Wow, normally I don'f like Excaliburs, but I have to admit that 35X is sweet

crisis
10-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Im not at all a fan of most clasics, but I do like this one.
I am UCP no1 classic car unenthusiast but this is a pretty cool ride.

henk4
10-18-2004, 01:20 AM
I am UCP no1 classic car unenthusiast but this is a pretty cool ride.

probably because it is not a classic

PsychoChimp22
10-18-2004, 12:09 PM
How can you not like them?? theyre awsome!!! And thats coming from a guy who doesnt tend to like classics!!

henk4
10-18-2004, 12:15 PM
How can you not like them?? theyre awsome!!! And thats coming from a guy who doesnt tend to like classics!!

Talking to me?

crisis
10-18-2004, 06:52 PM
probably because it is not a classic
Really, why?

henk4
10-19-2004, 12:26 AM
Really, why?

It is just a plain american chassis with a body that had to look like a Mercedes SSK. produced 35 years before that.

PsychoChimp22
10-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Talking to me?

nope.

PsychoChimp22
10-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the pics Esperante, gj.

crisis
10-19-2004, 05:26 PM
It is just a plain american chassis with a body that had to look like a Mercedes SSK. produced 35 years before that.
I feel better now. :)

Blue Supra
10-19-2004, 11:43 PM
Thats soooo nice, i love old school cars with that kinda platform/design. :) good work Esperante on getting all those pics up... anyone know how much one of those sells for now?

henk4
10-19-2004, 11:54 PM
I feel better now. :)

Just imagine that you would really were going to be a classics fanboy :)

Esperante
10-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Thats soooo nice, i love old school cars with that kinda platform/design. :) good work Esperante on getting all those pics up... anyone know how much one of those sells for now?

depends. The older ones (the 60's version roadsters) can go for 50k up (USD) and the latter coupes (the bigger ones, that looked more fake) (condition dependent, of course) can run anywhere from 20k to 120k.

Sei cilindri
10-25-2004, 12:19 AM
Have to agree with Henk on this
They're vulgair imitations of the splendid original
They're not classics, nor will they ever be. Just ugly looking pimp rides with horrible handling :eek:
High prices don't make a car good. It just means that there are a lot of people with bad taste out there.

Nevertheless if anybody here likes them you're most welcome but post about them in the american car section, not in the classics......... ;)

Just my two cents (did I manage to offend just about everyone ? :D
)

henk4
10-25-2004, 12:23 AM
They're not classics, nor will they ever be. Just ugly looking pimp rides with horrible handling :eek:
High prices don't make a car good. It just means that there are a lot of people with bad taste out there.

Nevertheless if anybody here likes them you're most welcome but post about them in the american car section, not in the classics......... ;)

)

Not me but on another matter there is currently a poll going to nominate the best car any forum member may have. The Grifo might surely qualify.

Sei cilindri
10-25-2004, 06:37 AM
Not me but on another matter there is currently a poll going to nominate the best car any forum member may have. The Grifo might surely qualify.

Thanks for the nomination Henk but my other cars wouldn't like it if I prefered the Grifo over them........ ;)

Esperante
10-25-2004, 07:54 AM

)

Wow, what a stupid post. Have you ever been in one of these? They are not meant to be design classics, never were. They were designed by design legend Brook Stevens to be a more affordable luxury car, namely a more affordable Mercedes. They are good performers for their size and weight, are very comfortable and when produced they were fairly inexpensive. This is no way a 'pimp ride' this was a luxury car (HAND BUILT) that wasn't designed for the masses, and WAS ORIGINALLY DESIGNED AS 1 (ONE) FOR 1 (ONE) PERSON, AN ENTREPENEUR IN MILWAUKEE, HIS HOMETOWN. God I hate it when people are stupid.

Wouter Melissen
10-25-2004, 08:03 AM
I would call these cars 'designed', they were more of an 'adaptation'.

Sei cilindri
10-25-2004, 11:25 AM
Wow, what a stupid post. Have you ever been in one of these? They are not meant to be design classics, never were. They were designed by design legend Brook Stevens to be a more affordable luxury car, namely a more affordable Mercedes. They are good performers for their size and weight, are very comfortable and when produced they were fairly inexpensive. This is no way a 'pimp ride' this was a luxury car (HAND BUILT) that wasn't designed for the masses, and WAS ORIGINALLY DESIGNED AS 1 (ONE) FOR 1 (ONE) PERSON, AN ENTREPENEUR IN MILWAUKEE, HIS HOMETOWN. God I hate it when people are stupid.

hehe : "did I manage to offend just about everyone ;) ?"
mission accomplised I would say !

Give me some credit though,I know what I am talking about .
I HAVE driven two Excalibers over the years , and the handling IS horrible .
But aside from that I do not think you will disagree with me on the fact that it isn't a classic and it isn't a design as Wouter pointed out
It is a copy or adeptation if you will .

And to put the record straight: It was never designed as an affordable Mercedes .
He originally did it as a showcar for Studebaker at the time (called Mercebaker) and not for one person. From there on it evolved and his sons made it into a business
Ofcourse everyone is entitled to his opinion but to me and many others it is revolting
Having said that I have to say that, over the years I have had people enquiring about wanting to hire a Excalibur with me.
Fortunatly I can reply I do only classics........ :D

QuattroMan
10-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Here are some more Excaliburs

OH BOY!! that is a nice looking pic....I love classic cars there is something about this cars you just cant get enough of it..

Esperante
10-26-2004, 05:53 AM
hehe : "did I manage to offend just about everyone ;) ?"
mission accomplised I would say !

Give me some credit though,I know what I am talking about .
I HAVE driven two Excalibers over the years , and the handling IS horrible .
But aside from that I do not think you will disagree with me on the fact that it isn't a classic and it isn't a design as Wouter pointed out
It is a copy or adeptation if you will .

And to put the record straight: It was never designed as an affordable Mercedes .
He originally did it as a showcar for Studebaker at the time (called Mercebaker) and not for one person. From there on it evolved and his sons made it into a business
Ofcourse everyone is entitled to his opinion but to me and many others it is revolting
Having said that I have to say that, over the years I have had people enquiring about wanting to hire a Excalibur with me.
Fortunatly I can reply I do only classics........ :D
No. The first Excalibur was designed in 1952, the Excalibur J. It was based off the Kaizer-Frazer J chassis. 3 were built, 2 using Willys engines and the other using a Kaizer-Frazer engine. It was designed for and with James Floria. The task was to create the frist midwestern racing team/club. For under a thousand dollars for each car, it raced 25 and placed 1st 9 times. Against Porsches, Ferraris.......Stevens intentoins was to develop the race car and then be able to mass produce them as an economical people's car.
http://www.excaliburautomobile.com/Image/ExcaliburJ/IMG0070.jpg
http://www.excaliburautomobile.com/Image/ExcaliburJ/IMG0069.jpg

crisis
10-26-2004, 05:38 PM
I would call these cars 'designed', they were more of an 'adaptation'.
Is a Caterham classed as a classic?

Matra et Alpine
10-26-2004, 06:04 PM
No, but the Lotus is :)

crisis
10-26-2004, 06:27 PM
No, but the Lotus is :)
That was my guess.

Esperante
10-26-2004, 07:27 PM

when was the Lotus 7 built? This was 1951/2. (design began in 51, completed in 52).

The_Canuck
10-11-2006, 07:39 PM
From Montreal...