PDA

View Full Version : carbon fibre srt neon

KnifeEdge_2K1
10-11-2004, 05:51 PM
wow that thing is fast ... mostly due to the lightened body panels and whatnot but its undeniably fast

any thoughts on this?

Rockefella
10-11-2004, 05:57 PM
any pics?

gregvl52
10-11-2004, 06:06 PM
here's an article I found about it with a quick google...

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0411scc_srt02/

Coventrysucks
10-11-2004, 06:11 PM
wow that thing is fast

What thing?

Is there an Dodge Neon SRT made entirely out of carbon fibre or something?

Google isn't much help with any permutations of the words "Carbon, fibre, SRT, Neon, Dodge" and I'm not a mind reader.

Slicks
10-11-2004, 06:37 PM
The Neon SRT4 "extreme" concept. Weighs around 2400lbs and has like 400hp. Does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds and runs the quarter in 12.5 (dont remember if thats with drag slicks or not). And yes, its FWD.

Sweeney921
10-11-2004, 06:49 PM
in that article it says it was with drag slicks, assuming it's the same car

gregvl52
10-11-2004, 07:28 PM
in that article it says it was with drag slicks, assuming it's the same car

It says that it does the 12.5 on BFGoodrich drag radials, which I don't think are slicks (I don't know much about drag racing), compared to where they say "After our test the SRT-4 Lightweight went back to Michigan, where DaimlerChrysler engineers slapped on drag slicks and ran one 11.83-second pass at 123 mph in 70-degree weather."

more-boost1555
10-13-2004, 11:05 AM
and put in AWD. Now that would be something to talk about.

jcp123
10-13-2004, 02:38 PM
for that kind of power and weight, FWD difinitely doesnt work that well...those numbers are weak for that power/weight ratio

PerfAdv
10-13-2004, 03:35 PM
AWD>RWD>FWD, this is the order when it comes to handling power. But on a dragstrip FWDs can hook up pretty well and deliver sub-10 second ETs. Personally saw a Turboed Integra Type-R do the 1/4 in 11 something @ 130+mph. The problem is putting the power down on a road course.

KnifeEdge_2K1
10-14-2004, 02:02 PM
AWD>RWD>FWD, this is the order when it comes to handling power. But on a dragstrip FWDs can hook up pretty well and deliver sub-10 second ETs. Personally saw a Turboed Integra Type-R do the 1/4 in 11 something @ 130+mph. The problem is putting the power down on a road course.

err .... i think you mean the other way around, rwd is the best setup for acceleration (with some awd exceptions this is true, since awd is infinetly variable it would be very hard to find an optimal setting so for now im excluding it from this comparison)

since on a road course you only start once (unless you wipe out) acceleration out of corners will not really be a great hinderance to a fwd car sine weight transition would be minimal once you're at speed. also much of the disadvantages of the fwd setup like having the drive wheels do most of the braking and steering (using much of the tire's potential grip) would be gained from a compact drivetrain (transaxle) and good suspension geometry

megotmea7
10-14-2004, 02:26 PM
he is correct. ever tried to shuffle a reletivly powerful fwd car around a track? or an autoX? most of the time is spend trying to keep the front wheels with some sembalence of contact to the tarmac. and with a powerful car such as the SRT-4 and its inherent low range grunt, keeping the front end in step would be a handfull in a car as light and powerful as the srt-4 lightweight. i think SCC did a article on it and said they absolutly ravaged the front tires trying to hustle it around the track, fun but not the fastest way to pull a lap time.

PsychoChimp22
10-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Cool car, wicked fast.

Mattg
11-10-2004, 05:56 AM
Heres some info read my signature

tmnt_ppn
11-10-2004, 05:37 PM
My dream car: Srt-4 Extreme Lightweight

400 HP/383 lb-ft of torque
12.5-second e.t. at 119.2 mph. And, yes, that's very, very fast. Porsche Turbo territory. Corvette Z06 territory. And, yes, Viper territory.
Power-to-weight ratio of 6.7 lb/hp, pulls over 1.0g on the skidpad, splits the slalom at an impressive 74.9 mph and stops from 60 mph in 109 feet.
Bye the way, ITS AMERICAN
how much is its curb weight?

Coventrysucks
11-10-2004, 05:52 PM
Bye the way, ITS AMERICAN
By the way, so is this:

http://www.b98fm.com/timages/page/flag_car.jpg

6.7lb per hp
400hp

6.7 x 400 = 2680lb

1215 kg for people who enjoy a more continental style of weights and measures.

Egg Nog
11-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Google isn't much help with any permutations of the words "Carbon, fibre, SRT, Neon, Dodge" and I'm not a mind reader.

Keep in mind that this is an American car, and that Americans spell it (the wrong way ;) :D) fiber, rather than fibre.

A quick search with this spelling results in exactly what we were looking for a few times on the first page :)

Coventrysucks
11-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Keep in mind that this is an American car, and that Americans spell it (the wrong way ;) :D) fiber, rather than fibre.

A quick search with this spelling results in exactly what we were looking for a few times on the first page :)

This is why American English should be banned.

I shall not get my lump of aluminium and paint it a nice colour, whilst eating some doughnuts. ;)

TEXSRT4
11-22-2004, 05:26 PM
thats the aftermarket stage 3 upgrade for the srt4. it will run your $3500. and the car is less than 400lbs less than stock. car is awsome!!!

TEXSRT4
11-22-2004, 05:30 PM
the problem with planting power is that you just cant! way too much! awd is nice, but becomes a hinderance on accelaration once you start moving. way too much drag. coming out of the turns, if your nice with the go-pedal (car makes boost by 2500rpm, even with that bigger turbo, and it makes linear boost - if you want 5psi then put the throttle down 1/4 of the way, 10psi 1/2 way, 20 psi at WOT - so you dont need to dump the pedal and make full power out of the turns) you can plant it somewhat decently. and pull yourself out. then floor it!

ZeTurbo
11-23-2004, 11:38 PM
The Neon SRT4 "extreme" concept. Weighs around 2400lbs and has like 400hp. Does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds and runs the quarter in 12.5 (dont remember if thats with drag slicks or not). And yes, its FWD.
an evo with 400hp would absolutely torch this car. without any carbon fiber parts or weight reduction. its not a DREAM car boys hold your horses.
but i am ahppy to see that there is such a car for that price. neat.

ZeTurbo
11-23-2004, 11:38 PM
By the way, so is this:

http://www.b98fm.com/timages/page/flag_car.jpg

6.7lb per hp
400hp

6.7 x 400 = 2680lb

1215 kg for people who enjoy a more continental style of weights and measures.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA my EYES MY EYES!!!!!
burn it! send it to hell!

jcp123
11-24-2004, 01:11 AM
RWD would help the SRT soooooo much...

TEXSRT4
11-24-2004, 01:04 PM
agreed. you wont get any arguments on that one! now that would be a fun car! and it would be a lot faster! if i could launch higher than 2000rpm, i would easily be in the 12's and im prettymuch stock (13.2is with a 2s. 60' time, trap speed of over 105) if i could launch without roasting them, the car would be a rocket

megotmea7
11-24-2004, 02:57 PM
hint hint dodge, hint hint... altho it is very unlikely there would ever be a rwd neon released, the thought is intriguing... mabe a new platform unsing the srt-4 motor. for competition with the miata and sulstice.

TEXSRT4
11-24-2004, 04:04 PM
dodge has a concept car called the RAZOR, that all us SRT guys are dreaming of. RWD powered by the SRT motor. manual tranny. and minimalist interior, very similar to the new elise set up. moderate HP, no weight!!! heck yeah!

KnifeEdge_2K1
11-24-2004, 06:52 PM
the problem with planting power is that you just cant! way too much! awd is nice, but becomes a hinderance on accelaration once you start moving. way too much drag. coming out of the turns, if your nice with the go-pedal (car makes boost by 2500rpm, even with that bigger turbo, and it makes linear boost - if you want 5psi then put the throttle down 1/4 of the way, 10psi 1/2 way, 20 psi at WOT - so you dont need to dump the pedal and make full power out of the turns) you can plant it somewhat decently. and pull yourself out. then floor it!

that's not how turbo's work man ... thats not how superchargers work either

TEXSRT4
11-24-2004, 07:57 PM
im sorry, i dont understand your comment? i know how it works, based on exhaust flow. what i meant by that comment is that the boost is controllable by throttle. most turbo cars are all or nothing. but the boost in the srt is totally linear, its actually controlled by the computer, through a solenoid. the vacume line runs from the turbo(vacume source) through a 3way solenoid(controlled by the computer, and a very complicated boost system) then back to the integral wastegate. the computer bases the boost level on the actual throttle position sensor. its really a cool setup!

Slicks
11-24-2004, 10:54 PM
an evo with 400hp would absolutely torch this car. without any carbon fiber parts or weight reduction. its not a DREAM car boys hold your horses.
but i am ahppy to see that there is such a car for that price. neat.
Of course it would, im not bragging about the car at all. Actually i dislike it more that i like it...

megotmea7
11-28-2004, 04:48 AM
dodge has a concept car called the RAZOR, that all us SRT guys are dreaming of. RWD powered by the SRT motor. manual tranny. and minimalist interior, very similar to the new elise set up. moderate HP, no weight!!! heck yeah!
very good to hear, and it looks promising, i like its overall shape, it could use a little(read: alot) of work on the front and mabe back but i would consider buying this just based on its out of the box performance, potential, price, and great concept. hope they make it. and at $14k i'll take 3 ;)

p.s. i seem to remember this car when its photo's were first released, i just didnt give it much thought. porobly because it just looked like another cheap econobox from dodge, i think what spured my interest is the performance potential of the srt motor mated to a rwd chassis... still hope it is made

jcp123
11-28-2004, 01:23 PM
Nice idea, the RWD will definitely help out the image of the SRT a TON. As a RWD fan myself, that makes me happy.