PDA

View Full Version : Bmw 120d

McLareN
10-12-2004, 11:35 AM
A few days ago someone requested pics of the Bmw 120d.
Here they are :).
Bmw 120d #1:

McLareN
10-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Bmw 120d #2:

McLareN
10-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Bmw 120d #3:

McLareN
10-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Bmw 120d #4:

McLareN
10-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Bmw 120d #5:

cuntukimushroom
10-12-2004, 12:28 PM
0-60 11scs lol (top gear) fat mans curve

henk4
10-12-2004, 01:19 PM
0-60 11scs lol (top gear) fat mans curve

who drove? The car is supposed to have 163 BHP, it is the most powerful of the range. The 120i has only 150 and does 0-100 kph in 9 seconds (SportAuto).

r1ckst4
10-12-2004, 05:21 PM
hmm... nice car :)

RedWingsFanG
10-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Yep...the 120d (my next car :) has 163 hp and does 0-100 in 8,6 (BMW claims 8.0 sec though).
In autumn 2005 the 6-cylinders will be released.

BTW: Thx for the great pics!

henk4
10-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Yep...the 120d (my next car :) has 163 hp and does 0-100 in 8,6 (BMW claims 8.0 sec though).
In autumn 2005 the 6-cylinders will be released.

BTW: Thx for the great pics!

Have you established what extra's you would want above the base price? You can easily add as much to the car so that you could have a 3 series and with a little bit more it becomes as expensive as the 5.
I also hope you will not need the rear seats very often. They are a bit cramped, price to pay for RWD.

RedWingsFanG
10-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Have you established what extra's you would want above the base price? You can easily add as much to the car so that you could have a 3 series and with a little bit more it becomes as expensive as the 5.
I also hope you will not need the rear seats very often. They are a bit cramped, price to pay for RWD.

Yep, I already studied the price list intensively.
And it amazes me that you can add about the price of the car itself in extras... :eek:
But I personally want only the advantage packet, light packet and light and rain sensor, sport suspension and few other things.
No navi (don't need that), no leather...

And we are only 2 now...no kids (planned), the rear seats are almost never used.
In my A3 the rear seats were used about 5-6 times in 5 years...

What is important for me is a good handling, and the BMW for sure has it.
I drove it for only 15 min yet, but on Friday there's a 1 1/2 hour drive.
Besides, I am also interested in the VW Golf GTI. But it's no diesel and has excessive fuel consumption with its turbo engine, and I drive enough km to make a diesel the better choice...

But I am still not fully convinced yet, the A3 2.0 TDI is still in the race. My brother for example prefers the Audi.
But at the moment the 120d is my favourite choice.

henk4
10-13-2004, 11:40 AM
for those who did not study the pricelist I quote from Auto Motor Und sport, issue 19, where under the title Kasse statt Masse BMW's pricing policy was critisised:
The guy describes what he wants
Basic price 19800 EURO (cheapest base model)
for the 120 D :Plus 4600
the cheapest of the 2 navaid options. This is only available in combination with airco, multifunctional steering wheel and armrest Plus 4470
Metallic paint: Plus 620 (only red and white are available as non-metallics)
17 inch alu wheels: Plus 1250

Intermediate balance 30740 Euro, which is 940 more expensive than a 320i sixcylinder.

Then he continues:
Leather seats, professional audio and autobox: Plus 4820 Euro

Next price: 35560 Euro, or 60 Euro more than a 520i.

But he continues:
Open roof: 950 euro
fog lights: 200 euro
Xenon headlights : 790 Euro.

All extras included could see you more than 50000 euro poorer.

Is that sort of money worth the : Freude am Fahren?

BTW what happened to the Golf TDI 150 BHP? Is no longer available in Golf V shape?

Coventrysucks
10-13-2004, 12:24 PM
In a straw poll taken in a room full of automotive design students (about 70- 80), when asked "Who likes the new 1 series?" about 5 people were in favour.

I've seen a few in the flesh - slightly better than the photos, but still ugly as sin.

BMW325
10-13-2004, 07:17 PM
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8431

not exactly what i was looking for

jcp123
10-13-2004, 07:24 PM
for those who did not study the pricelist I quote from Auto Motor Und sport, issue 19, where under the title Kasse statt Masse BMW's pricing policy was critisised:
The guy describes what he wants
Basic price 19800 EURO (cheapest base model)
for the 120 D :Plus 4600
the cheapest of the 2 navaid options. This is only available in combination with airco, multifunctional steering wheel and armrest Plus 4470
Metallic paint: Plus 620 (only red and white are available as non-metallics)
17 inch alu wheels: Plus 1250

Intermediate balance 30740 Euro, which is 940 more expensive than a 320i sixcylinder.

Then he continues:
Leather seats, professional audio and autobox: Plus 4820 Euro

Next price: 35560 Euro, or 60 Euro more than a 520i.

But he continues:
Open roof: 950 euro
fog lights: 200 euro
Xenon headlights : 790 Euro.

All extras included could see you more than 50000 euro poorer.

Is that sort of money worth the : Freude am Fahren?

BTW what happened to the Golf TDI 150 BHP? Is no longer available in Golf V shape?

I did read the article. I honestly think that the success is going to BMW's head, they've been gettin weird lately.

RedWingsFanG
10-15-2004, 10:48 AM
No one is forced to buy the car, esp. not with all extras....
I myself - as stated above- won't do it and I will not spend too much on extras. No navi, no leather and so on.

If you don't want to, you don't need to buy it. Don't get me wrong, I myself think that the BMW is NOT cheap - but what about a Golf and other cars?
It's not much less expensive then the BMW - ALL (european) cars are nowadays way to expensive - you can build Golfs for about € 40.000 as well :eek:

BTW, I read every issue of Auto, Motor und Sport and have read the article myself, and yes, it's true.

I won't buy a 120d for about 40.000 € - but there must be some people who will, otherwise they won't offer it. the salesman said that they have now 4 months waiting time for the car - so there must be alot people who buy it.

So, I myself think that all cars are very expensive nowadays, esp. when considering what is actually happening to the german Opel workers in Bochum!
But if people buy it, why should BMW change the price?

I am still interested in the BMW 120d! I am very interested in cars and like BMW! You can call it stupid to pay so much for a compact car, but others will say it's ok...
Depends on everyone self!

henk4
10-15-2004, 11:41 AM
No one is forced to buy the car, esp. not with all extras....
I myself - as stated above- won't do it and I will not spend too much on extras. No navi, no leather and so on.

If you don't want to, you don't need to buy it. Don't get me wrong, I myself think that the BMW is NOT cheap - but what about a Golf and other cars?
It's not much less expensive then the BMW - ALL (european) cars are nowadays way to expensive - you can build Golfs for about € 40.000 as well :eek:

BTW, I read every issue of Auto, Motor und Sport and have read the article myself, and yes, it's true.

I won't buy a 120d for about 40.000 € - but there must be some people who will, otherwise they won't offer it. the salesman said that they have now 4 months waiting time for the car - so there must be alot people who buy it.

So, I myself think that all cars are very expensive nowadays, esp. when considering what is actually happening to the german Opel workers in Bochum!
But if people buy it, why should BMW change the price?

I am still interested in the BMW 120d! I am very interested in cars and like BMW! You can call it stupid to pay so much for a compact car, but others will say it's ok...
Depends on everyone self!

I respect your interest in the 120d with the type and quality of engine our American and Australian friends can only dream about :D I hope you will buy a particle filter, if it is not yet standard.

Interesting that you bring up Opel, just saw the news here and it was that Opel saw its market share go down from 17 to a mere 10% in Germany. Opel simply does not have the status of a premium brand and has to compete with cheap imports from anywhere. In that respect the BMW has a much better chance, in spite of its price. The Golf V seems to have also passed a barrier where the consumer would accept the high price just to have a Golf. This is no longer valid. It of course does not help VW that salaries in Wolfsburg are considerably higher than the average metal worker. In such cases the provision of a free airco is not a sustainable way to go.

I buy AMS reguarly during travels, it always strikes me how positive they are about VW. From the same issue as the BMW story I refer to the comparison between the VW Polo Fun and the Citroen C3 X-TR where they say about the Polo that the sport suspension may be a little too much for those looking for comfort. About the Citroen they mention sometihng about "Savoir vivre" and relax!. Then look at the scoring for ride comfort: Polo 22, Citroen 18.

RedWingsFanG
10-15-2004, 12:57 PM
First of all, Henk, I appreciate your comments - nice to "chat" with you :)

Yep, the Particle Filter - I definitely want one, even though it seems as if you will have to refit it after some time :( - but there has been enough said about this now. Not very satisfying for the customer though...but at least it has Euro 4 Standards.

Then, you are for sure right about AMS. It is a german magazine and german cars almost ever "win". That's because they are humans, and every test contains their personal opinion as germans :p
Sure, tests are helpful, but everyone has to know what is important for him. The point system is interesting, but for example if you don't need much space or prefer another topic - e.g. suspension or whatever - the points won't relly help you.

And Opel...I live very close to the Opel facility in Bochum, and even though I have nothing to do with it and don't own a Opel, it makes me sad!
Actually, I was in Bochum today and saw the strike - another example for mismanagement.
It's not the fault of the workers that they lost market shares - it's because of the decisions the managers make - but who pays for it?
Not Forster, but the worker at Opel.

And finally, I totally agree with you on VW.
Nowadays (most) cars in Germany are sold over the price, and the Golf V is waaay to expensive for a "normal" family.
A 105 PS TDI with some nice extras goes for € 23.000 - € 25.000.
With people who don't know what the future will bring for their life and jobs, that's too much...

Currently I am visiting a lot of car dealers, and you immediately notice that they treat you totally different then before - with respect, 'cause ya are really important to them now. You even get cars from one day to another, without any problem.
They didn't do that when I bought my last car a few years ago, not at all... :rolleyes:

kongen2076
06-29-2006, 05:30 AM
wtf.... what do yoy mean??? what is going to their head.... they make fine cars.. open your eyes...

henk4
06-29-2006, 05:33 AM
wtf.... what do yoy mean??? what is going to their head.... they make fine cars.. open your eyes...

welcome to UCP. This might not be the luckiest first post, but anyway, can you explain who you are addressing?

I was planning to have another look at this thread, as a good place to mention that a 120d just claimed 5th place overall in the 24 Hours at the Ring.

CAS
06-29-2006, 07:21 AM
If you're willing to pay the amount of money for a 1 series, then you should do it. Once you bought the car, you'll just have a lot of fun with it. First I was a bit sceptic on the 1 series, that it really wasn't a BMW, but once you drove one, you know what it's all about.

It sure is a quite expensive car, but a car is something you need every day and you need to feel good in, not just something to get from A to B (otherwise you buy a Citroën :p).

I did the car configurator on the 1 series and came out to almost 40d euro's, but is really had all the gadgets then... If I had the money, I would probably buy it, however I'm kinda fund of the coupé's.

Hope to see some pics when you have the car.

henk4
06-29-2006, 07:27 AM
Well, this thread was dead for a long time, so I assume he might already have his second 1-series....

Ferrer
06-29-2006, 03:33 PM
It sure is a quite expensive car, but a car is something you need every day and you need to feel good in, not just something to get from A to B (otherwise you buy a Citroën :p).
Citroens can also offer the feel-good factor, it's maybe not as obvious as a BMW, but it's there alright.

6'bore
06-30-2006, 06:42 AM

Open YOUR eyes, this thread almost 2 years old.

henk4
06-30-2006, 06:44 AM
Open YOUR eyes, this thread almost 2 years old.

as already mentioned 2 posts earlier.....