PDA

View Full Version : GTR Official Demo Release

Alastor
10-15-2004, 10:02 AM
On Wednesday the official GTR demo was released, it has more functionality than the press release demo, and definitely worth the download.

http://www.gtr-game.com/popup.php?page=downloads

For those not familiar with the game, it is a racing simulator of the FIA GT racing series by Simbin development. When it is released later this year it will probably become the greatest simulator yet developed. The sound alone is worth the download in my opinion. Requires a wheel and peddle set to get the most of the game, although it is possible(not fun) to get around the track with just the keyboard.

http://www.simbin.se/index_simbin.html
http://www.gtr-game.com/

Overview:

GTR is the most authentic racing simulation ever
Based on the real FIA GT Championship
All the real tracks and cars are included
Car physics based on real race car telemetry data
Tracks are built from actual GPS and CAD data
Sounds are sampled from the real race cars
Cockpits have original team specific design
Ultra realistic damage physics and graphics

GTR features up to 56 cars on track simultaneously

The attention to detail puts you right in the car
Adjustable seats
Head movements of the drivers that simulates G-Forces
Autopilot: Don't stop the race the AI keeps your pace
Humanlike AI - blocks, passes and makes mistakes
Live Track Technology: Dynamic track layout that changes the track conditions graphically and physically during the race
Dynamic weather changes during the race
MOTEC race analyzation software included - GTR uses the same race analyzing software like real racing teams
GTR supports TrackIR Technology (accessory)

GTR is developed by real life race drivers
Simbin is managed by a professional race driver
Car handling has been validated by the actual FIA GT drivers

GTR offers various difficulty levels
so your skills can grow with the game
4 different levels of arcade mode

CdocZ
10-15-2004, 01:17 PM
niiiiiice

CdocZ
10-15-2004, 01:40 PM
question....im trying to download it, in english, cause i no speaka germanese, and boomtown is being retarded cause you have to register, and it says i dont have an account, after it spammed out 10 registration emails to me all saying to finish the registration.........and the other site only allows FIFTY DOWNLOADS of ANYTHING at ANY time!!!!!!!anywhere else i can get it in english?

Matra et Alpine
10-15-2004, 03:06 PM
List of d/l sites at http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/gtr/gtr_demo.exe.html# including bittorrent :)

CdocZ
10-15-2004, 03:25 PM
thanx, that worked. (woohoo! race time in a gts-r viper!)

Esperante
10-15-2004, 04:09 PM
wots in the demo? wot cars, tracks and such?

I have an xBox, so this is the only peak I'll ever get of it :(

The other dissapointment is the fact that in production they dropped the DeLorean and Panoz Roadster and Esperante (cabrio) from the game :(

Alastor
10-15-2004, 04:36 PM
wots in the demo? wot cars, tracks and such?

I have an xBox, so this is the only peak I'll ever get of it :(

The other dissapointment is the fact that in production they dropped the DeLorean and Panoz Roadster and Esperante (cabrio) from the game :(

Demo only contains the Lister Storm and Morgan Areo 8, and the only track is the Spa circuit. You can race against 19 other cars I think (either Lister or Morgans). Limited in variety of cars and tracks but most of the functionality is there I think. There are a lot more interface options available than were in the press release demo. Also, simulation mode isn’t available as it was in the press release demo.

CdocZ
10-15-2004, 06:18 PM
i just played it......so incredibly realistic but so hard. it really does need a wheel but i cant keep from spinning out. any help on how to drive the dam things?

Alastor
10-15-2004, 08:13 PM
i just played it......so incredibly realistic but so hard. it really does need a wheel but i cant keep from spinning out. any help on how to drive the dam things?

You can adjust the key sensitivity by going to the controller tab, and then selecting the advanced button on the right side of the screen. Personally I set the throttle to 100 and the steering to around 30, higher numbers have more rapid response and vice versa. I prefer instant throttle response because I think it is easier to predict what is going to happen, and the lower steering response helps to prevent steering constantly such as down the straights.

When I first started playing simulators I found it was easier to use a higher gear than was necessary during low speed corners. That way you can get on the throttle and you don’t have to worry about wheel spin. As you get better at controlling the throttle this becomes unnecessary.

If you are using a keyboard you have to tap the keys and not just hold the buttons down. It is very difficult to do well and impossible to get decent lap times. Also you have to wait till you get the car pointed in the right direction before getting on the throttle.

I am not sure about semi-pro or arcade but it simulation mode the tires don’t develop full grip until they are up to temperature. So after a lap or two you can be more aggressive.

Esperante
10-15-2004, 09:04 PM
is there any chance of this coming to xBox?

Alastor
10-16-2004, 06:43 AM
is there any chance of this coming to xBox?

Couldn’t find a definitive answer but over at game spot they show GTR info under the PC and Xbox platform so maybe it will hit Xbox.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/driving/gtr/

CdocZ
10-16-2004, 07:53 AM
no, its not the key sensitivity......its that if i do a small turn, it wont really turn....itll spin out.......but when i need to do a hard turn, it barely turns at all!

Matra et Alpine
10-16-2004, 07:58 AM
no, its not the key sensitivity......its that if i do a small turn, it wont really turn....itll spin out.......but when i need to do a hard turn, it barely turns at all!
Only tried it with a wheel - I dont' do keys :)

but it's handling is quite good and especially the feedback.
With a wheel you can 'feel' the rear pushing the front wheels into losing grip.
It's maybe worse on a keybaord trying to modulate the throttle with the steering :(

Only minor niggle is that when it's understeering - which you can feel through the wheel - it is difficult to get the weight transfer to make the front's grip better. It might be it IS gripping but the FF doesn't show it. But now we're REALLY nit-picking :)

I think I'll be tempted to get the full sim to be abel to run in pro-sim mode and see if it's better/closer. So theyre demo has done it's job !!!!

Alastor
10-16-2004, 08:15 AM
Only minor niggle is that when it's understeering - which you can feel through the wheel - it is difficult to get the weight transfer to make the front's grip better. It might be it IS gripping but the FF doesn't show it. But now we're REALLY nit-picking :)

Did you try doing any tuning, there are quite a few suspension and tire options. There is also the MoTec telemetry data that can help with car setup, but one has to damn-near be a race engineer to analyze it ;-).

If you are sure it is not a controller input issue then you should also try changing the car setup. One suggestion I might make is lowering the amount of differetial lock (I think default is around 60) to around 20. The car should turn in better and although it might be a little loose it will be less prone to power-oversteer.

Esperante
10-16-2004, 08:17 AM
It's really good, but you have to use a racing wheel ;)

I enjoy Project Gotham 1 and 2 more, but the sheer amount of cars in GTR4 will make up for it:)

Matra et Alpine
10-16-2004, 08:19 AM
Did you try doing any tuning, there are quite a few suspension and tire options.
No, not yet.
What I was trying was at the crudest weight-transfer test which is one of the first things I try to seek out about how good a sim model is.
Gross trasnfer didn't make ANY change on the loose wheel in understeer, so it may be a limit of the game, the feedback or the sim. Until I can try pro-sim I'll not know :(

There is also the MoTec telemetry data that can help with car setup, but one has to damn-near be a race engineer to analyze it ;-).
:)
Working on precisly that tonight !! Mates son has his first pro race tomorrow. We're going over his telemetry tonight to see if we can improve his setups for tomrrows race
:)

CdocZ
10-16-2004, 08:21 AM
gt4.........supposedly 650+ cars. thats sickeningly awesome

Wouter Melissen
10-16-2004, 08:24 AM
Downloading it now. Might need to dust off my old steering wheel and hook it up.

DasModell
10-16-2004, 08:47 AM
i'm gonna have my head full with sims . GPL/RBR/GTR .. to many :D

Blue Supra
10-16-2004, 06:43 PM
well im dl it now so we'll see how it goes...

Wouter Melissen
10-27-2004, 08:26 AM
Does anyone have some proper setups?

Alastor
10-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Does anyone have some proper setups?

There are not very many available online as of yet, but here are a few links:

http://www.setup-guru.com/showthread.php?t=7298

http://www.bhmotorsports.com/GTR/downloads