PDA

View Full Version : And now for something completely different...

Revo
10-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Hello fellow car enenthusiast!

As long as I've visited Asian car forum here in UCP there are endless discussions a la "which one is better Supra/Skyline/RX/NSX/EVO/WRX". Do not get me wrong, they all are extremely intriguing cars, but I think there is so much more in Asian (especially in Japanese) car culture.

So here are few less known (but very characteristically Japanese) automobiles I would like to share with all of you.

1987 Nissan Pao. Hmm.. Bentley grille meets Kubelwagen meets Mini ;) Does anyone have more info for this little gem? Very utilitarian looking vehicle IMHO.

2001 Mitsuoka Ryoga. What a hell :confused: Sounds like Mitsubishi but those doors are definitely from contemporary Nissan Sunny (or Sentra for you in US).And nose... I guess we all do recognise that nose. And those wheels... More conservative looking than Amish in the Reeperbahn. But I do like those wheels, great change for those compulsory 24 inch spinning-shining-hideous wheels which are more expensive than car itself.

So, what do you think of those two underdogs? Or maybe is my taste to kinky :D

Cheers!
(or should I say whatever thise japanese say... Sake is closest word that comes to mind) :)

deffenbaugh03
10-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Interesting, i've never heard of either of these cars. I have heard of the Mitsuoka Orochi though. Mitsuoka is very little talked about on these forums, actually i can't recall ever hearing that name on these forums. do you have any other information of pics of any other mitsuoka models?

Revo
10-16-2004, 06:05 AM
Thanks for your reply deffenbaugh03. It inspired me to do some research about Mitsuoka Motor Co Ltd and instead of discussing various Japanese oddities lets concentrate on that fascinating car company.

"A small factory with a big dream" That is their logo and oh boy isn't it heart moving one? Maximum points for their PR company, hearts of millions of car fanatics are instantly overwhelmed. Mitsuoka story begins at the 1980'es when they concentrated on coach buliding and replica models. 1994 was a major breaking point as Mitsuoka was recognized as the 10th Japanese passenger car manufacturer by the local authorities. In general it seems to me that Mitsuoka uses Nissan products as base for their models. What's Mitsuoka relation to Nissan is unknown to me but definitely we are not talking about badge engineering here.
Now I'm going to present few Mitsuoka models in more-or-less chronological order. So please accept my little contribution to UCP forums and I must thank deffenbaugh03 again for motivating me on the subject. Today is the day I learned great deal about Japanese car culuture and I'm more than happy to share with you. Enough mumbling and down to business! :)

Revo
10-16-2004, 06:14 AM
The Viewt was released in 1993 and it is IMHO very stylish mix between Nissan Micra and Jaguar Mk II. Now you can forget X-type as a baby Jag, mini Jag has existed more than a decade! This car must be ultimate clash between east and west, modern cars and classic cars, you can continue list of contrast on and on. Since 2002 Nissan Micra / March was replaced by newer generation, Viewt seems to be discontinued.

Matra et Alpine
10-16-2004, 06:35 AM
The Viewt was released in 1993 and it is IMHO very stylish mix between Nissan Micra and Jaguar Mk II.
ha-ha, it looks more than 'mix'.

That is a blatant chopped front of a MkII stuck on some horrible box.
urgh, an insult to Lyons memory.

10 years ago, you say, so hoepfully they've all been crushed by now.

Revo
10-16-2004, 08:54 AM
No, I haven't gone completely mad and mixed up Asian forum with European one.
Please allow me to familiarize all of you with Mitsuoka Zero 1, yet another derivate of legendary Lotus 7 series. However, Mitsuoka claims that it is full of originality. Well, it has air bag on driver side. Now, how many Caterham/Westland etc. owners can brag with that? :D
Launched in 1994, it had 1,8 litre engine with 130PS. Model is discontinued.

fpv_gtho
10-16-2004, 09:02 AM
i think those first couple are quite frankly, hideous. I saw something about cars like these a while ago and the whol concept seems to be the front and back of an older styled car, strapped onto the centre of a new car...

Revo
10-16-2004, 10:04 AM
That is a blatant chopped front of a MkII stuck on some horrible box....hoepfully they've all been crushed by now.

i think those first couple are quite frankly, hideous...
Mkmm it feels good to do little provoking around here! :)
These cars may be lots of things but certainly they are not boring or uninspiring. Which is main fault of so many Japanese cars.
Many thanks both of you for your thoughts and lets continue our little journey in the wonders of East.

Cheers!

Revo
10-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Launched in 1996. It equiped 2,0 litre inline-4 engine with 130 PS.
A certain Bentley has obviously big influence on this car. Nissan Primera's dashboard is recognizable.
More details are scarce, model is discontinued.

Revo
10-16-2004, 11:01 AM
I must say, this little gem's styling is complete success IMHO. Have you ever seen another sub-mini that just oozes so much class and prestige? BTW base price of this little beauty is about 9500 EUR, sounds unbelievably cheap! But then again, only one engine is available, 0,6 litre. Well, looking at oil prices these days this engine sound too rubbish anymore, now does it.:rolleyes:
Launch date 1996, still available through Mitsuoka dealers near you. :)

Matra et Alpine
10-16-2004, 03:02 PM
I must say, this little gem's styling is complete success IMHO. Have you ever seen another sub-mini that just oozes so much class and prestige?
This one is an almost perfect copy of a Vanden Plass 1300 from the 1960s !!

Sorry Revo, they ARE interesting cars, but from design persepctive this guy has nothing original going for him. The 'interesting' is only because he's using shapes most younger folks have never seen.

BTW, the Lotus 7 copy is standard 7-esque. No FWD there ( or if there is it's using the new invisible front driveshafts ) and certainly has rear drive.

:)

PS: Don't stop posting they ARE intriguing and insightful into resurrected design - I just hope this guy doesn't get paid lots for copying others works :)

Blue Supra
10-16-2004, 03:44 PM
Im likin this thread mate, very interesting and eye opening, some of the designs look like theyve been ripped off like matra said but nevertheless i find it fascinating, good work Revo! keep it up mate:)

deffenbaugh03
10-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Thank you Revo for sharing these.

Revo
10-17-2004, 01:33 AM
This one is an almost perfect copy of a Vanden Plass 1300 from the 1960s !!
I'm pretty sure that most of us who hang around here in UCPF can instantly recognize Mitsuoka's...mmm....how should I put it... paragons? :rolleyes:
However, lets say your name is Kenji,you live in Japan, you know nothing about automotive history, and for your hard earned yens you can afford either Suzuki Alto (or any other horrible box ;) ) or Mitsuoka Ray? I'd say that Mitsuoka is mighty tempting choice. :)

Lotus 7 copy is standard 7-esque. No FWD there...
Of course you are right. Dumb me :o . "drive system FR" means Front-engined, Rear wheel drive, not Front something... And I didn't even bother to look at chassis photo :mad: . There you go, I'm just a average bonehead who can't tell difference between FWD and RWD chassis :rolleyes: I'll just edit my post.

Blue Supra and deffenbaugh03, thanks for your support! :)

Cheers!

Revo
10-17-2004, 01:53 AM
Not too much info about this model. It is based on Nissan Cube (Japan only model) from late 1990's so I'm going to label it as 1998 model. 1,3 litre engine, front wheel drive or with optional 4WD.
It would be interesting to see London Taxi alongside with Mitsuoka Yuga in flesh, difference in size must be massive. Model is discontinued.

Revo
10-17-2004, 01:59 AM
Launched in 1998, this model takes khmm...flirting :rolleyes: with Jag to a new level. That is some striking coctail indeed: take Fiat 125 wheels, add some Jaguar features, spice it all up with local Nissan Sunny and voila!: you have booze only for the brave ones. It makes me wonder, how come car tuning companies don't have such lunatic ideas? Lack of imagination would be my bet.
One thing I find absolutely fascinating about this models is it's bumpers. Looks like real hardcore steel. Total time warp. US federals must have some strong opinions abot these bumpers!
Only engine choice is 1,5 litre 109PS, 4WD is optional. Prices start from 16,500 EUR.
BTW, as we all konw, UK (or Australia) is full of eccentrics and importing cars from Japan is fairly common practise. Maybe there are some Mitsuokas driving around but then again, most of us wouldn't be able to tell difference between Jags and Mitsuokas in our rear view mirros. :)

Revo
10-18-2004, 10:35 AM
This is further development of Zero 1 and in 1997 it won Good Design Award from MITI (Ministry of International Trade and Industry). :confused: :confused:
Sounds incredible! Really, I guess it doesn't take too much effort to be a susuccessful designer in Japan. Fortunately I know I'm wrong. :)

Revo
10-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Mitsuoka Galue II uses Nissan Gloria/Cedric's (or Infiniti M45) underpinnings therefore it dates somewhere between 2000 or 2001. Now this is truly awful, unbalanced design... It ignores just about every basic rule in car designing. Those gaps between bonnet and rest of body look so wide that I'm almost believing it's some sort of neat engineering trick. :confused:
Prices starting at 30,000 EUR it is far too cheap for ritch and mentally disabled, can't think anyone else as a potential buyer (my apologises if I've hurted someones feelings!).

Revo
10-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Oh dear, Excalibur is back with revenge. Why ruin perfectly good sports car and build something so dreadful is beyond me. Only engine choice is 2,0 litre with 160 PS. Prices start at 38,500 EUR if anyone is interested.

Revo
10-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Enough of torturing my (and yours of course :) ) sence of beauty, final model we're going to look at is a concept car from 2003. Whale theme looks quite interesting and eye pleasing, of course those waterdrops on bonnet are bit of exaggeration. Strangely, this concept seems somehow outdated to me, it could very well date somewhere between late 1980s or early 1990s. Sorry, didn't bother to look up any technical specs but then again, it's only a concept and so far beyond Mitsuoka's usual theme that most likely it will never reach production (well, I hope I'm wrong because I quite like it).

Revo
10-18-2004, 10:52 AM
All right, this concludes our little journey into mysteries from East. While some of Mitsuoka's models are quite pretty and some butt-ugly, undeniably they are interesting insight to Japanese taste of automobiles. Those of you who seek more detailed info about Mitsuoka, here is my source of infinite :rolleyes: wisdom:
http://www.mitsuoka-motor.com/english/lineup/index.html

Thank you all for your time and enduring my blabbering! :)

Cheers!

Matra et Alpine
10-18-2004, 01:18 PM
One thing I find absolutely fascinating about this models is it's bumpers. Looks like real hardcore steel. Total time warp. US federals must have some strong opinions abot these bumpers!
Yeah, those are identical to the original UK bumpers.
With US rules, they all had to be redesigned and monstrosoties like the MG and the Fiat X1/9 were created :(

Blue Supra
10-18-2004, 05:50 PM
That was highly interesting revo, thanks for that insight, i actually dont mind the look of the Le-Syde, you could make a nice hot-rod outta that thing:D
*mental +2*