PDA

View Full Version : Thought

mechanixfetch
10-22-2004, 02:11 PM
For those of us who miss the rep system that I think I've accepted will never come back I've got an idea. On another car fourm I visit (www.vwdov.ca) we use a "bump" system. When some one says something you like or find funny, etc, something you would've given rep for before you Bump them by posting "Bump for that" or something to the like under their post.

Egg Nog
10-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Care to expand? How exacly does the system work? Or is it a system at all?

It sounds just like people giving praise for a post, which is exactly what you should do anyway... :) We do that on UCP, except we say "nice post" or something more original, rather than a lame future-cliche like "bump that" ;) :D

r1ckst4
10-22-2004, 07:47 PM
i can't believe i'm saying this but... i think that it's a good thing that the admins decided to remove the rep system... we dont have to worry about those "numbers" whether we have little or a lot or worrying that someone is going to give us a neg rep...

i think we should keep the rep system or other similar systems away from UCP

mechanixfetch
10-22-2004, 09:36 PM
It's not a real system just a way of praising posts. But since in my experience most positive feed back came with rep points I think the bump idea is cool.

sandwich
10-22-2004, 09:48 PM
no, you bump a thread to bring it to the top.

Let's say you ask a question and two weeks go by but nobody answers it. Rather than reposting, you reply by saying, "bump" or "to the top" and the thread is brought back from the dead to the top of the forum, where somebody else can read it.

If everybody were to adopt it, you'd find useless threads with 30 Bumps every time matra said something smart or a rice boy got dissed by coventry. No rep seems to be working fine, and I get to make drunk posts without any remorse for whether or not the terrible thread I'm posting in will become more terrible!

mechanixfetch
10-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Well do I ever feel silly

sandwich
10-23-2004, 08:52 PM
didn't mean it as any form of insult...but that's how a "bump" is conducted on other forums. It was a good suggestion.

xDRAN0x
10-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Sc.net had karma and it was the worts idea ever, and worst name ever too.

Karrmann
10-24-2004, 12:31 PM
yes, cause you have to rate threads to get it, which many people never care to do.

Supercarfreak123
10-26-2004, 09:27 PM
the rep system sounds ok, but stay away from karma, it was completly and utterly stupid !