PDA

View Full Version : Who has the more feminine (entry level) roadster?

Luciferous
10-27-2004, 06:29 AM
Just to see what you guys think looks girly, the new Merc SLK or Beemer Z4

I started this because while the Z4 is always going to divide opinion, the SLK hasn't exactly had a smooth reception.
Personally I don't like it, it isnt exactly cohesive design in my eyes, and I find it pretty feminine, and the old one screamed high powered female executive. But some people find it tough, so I wanna know, how many people?

BMW's previous entry level roadster (the Z3) was easily a chicks car, especially the 4 cylinder version. As the engine got bigger it got a bit manlier, but my reasoning is every women I've met who has a vague interest in cars admits that they love the Z3's looks. So if you drive one at least its got a pretty big pull factor. The new Z4 (as opposed to the old one, of course) has been muscled up, but is it still a feminine car?

If you find the Boxster to be an obvious conclusion, its because its from Porsche, who only (until recently) do sports cars, so I'm not including them simply because I can respect their design philosophy (the Cayenne's stretching the friendship), as its part of their overall company philosophy.
No Audi TT, both the cars up the top are in a different league, plain and simple. And even though the prices are different, at least where I am, the entry level roadsters from Beemer and Benz are always going to compete on some level.

Remember we're talking about looks here.

QuattroMan
10-27-2004, 06:45 AM
Yes Sir!!! MBZ all the way it is the most feminine car I have ever seen,

ruim20
10-27-2004, 10:26 AM
I think the SLK is the more feminine, although i wouldn't even buy the Z4, the Z3 M Coupe is one of my dream cars and i wouldn't trade it for a Z4. I don't have money for an M Coupe so i'm aiming for 2nd best, an s2000, a mans car for sure hehe IMHO.

xDRAN0x
10-27-2004, 01:24 PM
I know the new bettle isn't a roadster, but what a girl car it is.

PerfAdv
10-27-2004, 11:11 PM
With E-type like proportions of the new Z4 it is easily the more manly of the two. The old SLK, I didn't care for much as it didn't look completely sorted out, IMO. The new SLK is more aggressive looking and like the Z4 has its own phalic design elements, for the masculine look. Of the two I prefer the SLK for being a more cohesive shape and for not having the huge gouge taken out of the side.

RS6
10-28-2004, 03:36 AM
The Z4 may be more manly but I would take the SLK any day. I hate the Z4 design and I don't want mt bones to break everytime I run over a stone. Although, If I had the money for either, I would go out and get myself an Austin Healey 3000 MkIII. That is a manly car with a great engine note to boot.

Luciferous
10-28-2004, 04:36 AM
The Z4's engine bay may be a little long, which is the reason for the Zorro style 'Z' on the side, but to me the SLK a bit awkward all over. I understand the 'mini SLR' front end, but why would you want to mimic what (i think) is the ugliest face in the Merc range? Why not a new age CLS style front? And the back lights are bit lazy from a company who usually put so much time into them

PerfAdv
10-28-2004, 06:24 AM
True the SLR has the catfish wisker look but, IMO, the look is better suited to the SLK. The SLK is intended to have a pugnacious yet classy character, what better than to borrow an SLR element. The CLS though beautiful is too sophisticated and plain for a SLK. The nose treatment is definitely a statement and many will not like it. I haven't sat in one yet but the turret-like bulge must instill a real sense of power. Yes, the rear view is a little uninspired. Again not having see the car in person, I hope that the scale will counter some of the blandness of the rear treatment. As even the old, boxy-SLK looks decent from the rear because it has a wide, planted stance.

Luciferous
10-28-2004, 07:21 AM
Pity about the hideous back lights in that model too. I think that the CLS (as much as I dont really like it, but thats mainly the proportions) shows off Benz new design direction, and it would look like a real standout in a roadster. But I suppose they didn't want the baby roadster to show up the big daddy SL in looks. The nose is a real sticking point for me because it seems a contradiction in aethletics. It shows the connections to F1, easy to pick. But the crucial element that the designers forgot was that F1's don't need to look good. Roadsters do.

PerfAdv
10-28-2004, 07:36 AM
I see your point. Like the discussions on the new E60, the main sticking point there too is design. In trying so hard for a different look, manufacturers sometimes stray a little too far. I may like the look but being objective the new SLK is far too radical for a Benz.

audivwmeister
10-28-2004, 08:02 PM
Yes Sir!!! MBZ all the way it is the most feminine car I have ever seen,

only when you and frank are driving around in a metalic bright blue one! :D

tmnt_ppn
11-07-2004, 04:40 PM
i think SLK is more feminine. it has a smother design and more simple, unlike the Z4 with its radical styling.

KnifeEdge_2K1
11-07-2004, 05:22 PM
they're both girly

mx5 and s2000 is a "man"'s roadster

only thign seperating you between the road is a seat and 4 wheels

Coventrysucks
11-07-2004, 05:36 PM
mx5 and s2000 is a "man"'s roadster

:D Funny :D

Luciferous
11-07-2004, 07:44 PM
I agree with a Conventry on this one, the MX5 is called the Miata in the states....'Nuff said. The S2000...nah I'd rather a Z4 2.5. How can a 4 be manlier than a 6?

jcp123
11-07-2004, 08:12 PM
ive always thought of miatas as womens cars...strange...but i still kinda like em (as much as i like new cars).

KnifeEdge_2K1
11-07-2004, 09:21 PM
I agree with a Conventry on this one, the MX5 is called the Miata in the states....'Nuff said. The S2000...nah I'd rather a Z4 2.5. How can a 4 be manlier than a 6?

by revving 1000 rpm more :D and having more specific output per litre

newayz, its only called miata in the states and its not even a word so it cant have a femine connotation

i think we all have to agree the that mx5 is the best handlign car of all the examples cited so far, AND its the most user focused, it doesnt have climate control and a folding metal roof and what not

nothing to distract you from driving

everythign is bare bones essentials thats it and in my mind thats what a roadster should be

if price wasnt an option id opt for the 355 f1 spider but thats a) too expensive, and b) no longer sold the 360 spider is good choice too but i dont remmeber if it came with a stick shift

Luciferous
11-07-2004, 09:27 PM
by revving 1000 rpm more :D and having more specific output per litre

newayz, its only called miata in the states and its not even a word so it cant have a femine connotation

i think we all have to agree the that mx5 is the best handlign car of all the examples cited so far, AND its the most user focused, it doesnt have climate control and a folding metal roof and what not

nothing to distract you from driving

everythign is bare bones essentials thats it and in my mind thats what a roadster should be

if price wasnt an option id opt for the 355 f1 spider but thats a) too expensive, and b) no longer sold the 360 spider is good choice too but i dont remmeber if it came with a stick shift

It also has a tourqueless engine. But as for defining what a roadster is, the Porsche Boxster is the seminal roadster. The Z4 comes close, but its cheaper so I see it as a good deal. Plus its one of my favourite looking cars. But of course we're discussing looks and the S2000 is a bit uninspired to say the least and the MX5's back lights rule it out immediately. Both look old so they don't count.

jcp123
11-07-2004, 09:43 PM
ouf of all of these, the miata's the only one id consider. even though it's 2 seats short of a full car :D

Radoman
11-11-2004, 11:48 PM
**** 'em all. the Boxter rules.

Luciferous
11-12-2004, 01:47 AM
**** 'em all. the Boxter rules.

I'm sure this 'boxter' you may be talking about may be quite good, but I'm afraid I have no idea what youre on about. If maybe you are talking about Porsche's Boxster, then yes it is quite good. However its looks, while classic they may be, aren't as focussed as the Z4's and SLK's. So it's ruled out, as said before.

Matra et Alpine
11-12-2004, 02:51 AM
Lotus Elan Sprint will forever be THE roadster.

And my award goes to the MX-5 for it's exceleltn handling and balance.
AND it's heritage.

heritage you ask ? Yep, when Mazda set out to design the MX-5 they bought half a dozen exmaples of the BEST Elans and drove them, studied them, stripped them and rebuilt them and set the goal of equalling it. So an MX-5 is what Lotus SHOULD have done rather than that FWD version :)

Luciferous
11-12-2004, 03:06 AM
People the MX-5 and S2000 and Boxster aren't on the list, the SLK and Z4 are. I think everyone can agree that the MX-5 is the modern interpretation of the classic brit roadsters of old.

Just as a side note, has anyone else noticed the amount of people who spell the word Boxster wrong? I was shocked, as the worst offenders seem to be owners trying to sell them and (worst of all) Porsche dealerships....

KnifeEdge_2K1
11-14-2004, 11:45 AM
People the MX-5 and S2000 and Boxster aren't on the list, the SLK and Z4 are. I think everyone can agree that the MX-5 is the modern interpretation of the classic brit roadsters of old.

Just as a side note, has anyone else noticed the amount of people who spell the word Boxster wrong? I was shocked, as the worst offenders seem to be owners trying to sell them and (worst of all) Porsche dealerships....

lmfao lol

if you gave me an slk or a z4 ill say thanks very much give you lots of hugs and kisses and the second you turn ur back ill sell it to buy a couple of mx5s

DasModell
11-14-2004, 01:15 PM

how about 9000rpm for a road car ??