PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 914 Updates (Still not running, @$%^*@$...)

Egg Nog
11-05-2003, 11:16 PM
Okay, I finally took a digital camera to the shop today for some pictures. Unfrotunately, Motorer1 is going to be upset because he still doesn't get to see a show car :)

Right now I'm getting it ready for a bit 'o primer before we paint over the repaired previously-rusty areas. That, of course, is the reason for the newspaper :). Sorry about the quality... they were talken in low light and I adjusted them in photoshop (hence the graininess). Anyway, enough talk, here they are:

Front end shot

Egg Nog
11-05-2003, 11:17 PM
Rear Quarter Shot

Egg Nog
11-05-2003, 11:18 PM
Rear End and the Pacesettter Monza dual exhaust :D

Egg Nog
11-05-2003, 11:20 PM
My Buddy Nigel's 1985 Toyota MR2 (Also in the shop, I'm doing rust repair on his rear quarter panels)

Motorer1
11-07-2003, 12:42 PM
I could see your 914 and his MR2 in a race. Who would win?

Egg Nog
11-08-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Motorer1
I could see your 914 and his MR2 in a race. Who would win? Well, it really depends on the type of race.

The MR2 is a faster car in a straight line, o doubt about that. However, according to the CACC autocrossing guidebook, 914s (1.7, 1.8, and 2.0) are considered to be superior (two divisions higher) to the MR2 N/A (both MK1 and MK2). So, before I can accurately tell you anything, I'll need to get my car fully prepared and on the road. My hypothesis is that my 914 could outhandle the MR2.

Right now, Nigel's MR2 is completely stock minus about 400 grams of ugly side trim ;)

My 914 has 160lb progressive auto-X springs, aftermarket performance headers, and the Pacesetter dual exhaust.

I guess I'll let you know in good time, because (assuming Nigel doesn't wreck his car by the time mine is ready :P), we'll definately be taking them up to our favoriite massive parking lot for a photoshoot and a little racing. Oh yeah :) Actually, a friend of ours might actually be buying a Pontiac Fiero. If you understand what I mean, that would be an appropriate addition to the fleet :)

Motorer1
11-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Egg Nog

Actually, a friend of ours might actually be buying a Pontiac Fiero. If you understand what I mean, that would be an appropriate addition to the fleet :)

Yeah, that sounds like a great addition. Maybe also a Miata?

NoOne
11-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Yeah, that sounds like a great addition. Maybe also a Miata?

I think you missed the connection, the 914, MR2 and Fiero are all small mid-engine cars ... if any car was needed to complete the group it would be a Fiat X19.

Egg Nog
11-14-2003, 10:49 PM
Thanks for clearing that up before I had to :)

I think that the Fiat X1/9 would be barred from being part of the fleet though. IO though about it, but its just too ugly :). Hideous.

Another update, all the engine work is finished as of yesterday, save for an oil change. As of today (Nov 14th) the rebuild brakes are finally completely installed and functioning. Woohoo!

NoOne
11-15-2003, 07:42 AM
No problem, it was actually a pleasure :D

As far as the X19 is concerned they are definitely ugly, but a friend of mine had one about 17 or 18 years ago, he was madly in love with the idea of having an italian sports car, while repairing the body and doing some mechanical work we decided to take it out and beat on it a bit, just to see if it was as bad as we kept teasing him,(we really had no idea, we were just breaking the guys balls over it :D ), anyways, even back then it was a fairly rare car to see on the roads, and having practically no exhaust left on it, my friend trying to drive manual shift for the first or second time, revving the shit outta it to impress the rest of the guys, it did sound somewhat exotic to our inexperienced ears. Hell of a lot of fun though, I can almost hear him now exclaiming to us all, "now thats an Italian sports car for ya !!!! "
:cool: :D :cool:

Motorer1
11-20-2003, 12:55 PM
Dude, thats hilarious!
What does an X19 look like?

<----American

Egg Nog
11-22-2003, 03:41 PM
Ew. :)

http://www.irata.com/x19/gifs/x19medd.jpg

NoOne
11-24-2003, 07:48 AM
Ugly .... and not just because of its odd proportions

NoOne
11-24-2003, 07:49 AM

NoOne
11-24-2003, 07:49 AM

NoOne
11-24-2003, 07:51 AM
...and even shitty italian "sportscars" are not immune from being "riced" ....

Motorer1
11-24-2003, 11:13 AM
Glad that isn't here in the USA. :p

NoOne
11-24-2003, 05:41 PM
Glad that isn't here in the USA. :p

It probably was !!! .... Though I haven't seen one up here in years..... maybe 12-15 years ago.

Egg Nog
11-24-2003, 07:45 PM
Actually, it was brought into the USA and Canada... I've never seen one either though. :(

Good thing, I suppose, else I might've turned to stone :) The medusa-mobile...

Motorer1
11-26-2003, 12:49 PM
seriously, I am glad that I didn't see one. I wonder if anyone still owns one.....

NoOne
11-27-2003, 07:22 AM
Strange as it sounds there are Fiat owners clubs all over Canada and the U.S. .... imagine hundreds (?) of people gathering together to celebrate (or console each other) the ownership of these shit cars. :)

Egg Nog
12-02-2003, 01:40 AM
Quick update:

Since my last update, I have...

Bought a new made-by-Porsche-for-Porsche gas pedal to replace my floppy old one.

Bought a new clutch pedal cover

Bought and installed 8 new fuel injector seals

All new vacuum hoses (very difficult to find nice braided hoses, but its waaay nicer now!)

Rebuilt the entire rusted-out passenger-side door latch frame. (Had to custom fabricate... such a pain in the ass ;))

New battery, with 2 year warranty. Thank you, Canadian Tire :)

I think that's all for now, I'll keep you update when enough more happens to warrant me making another post about it all ;)

Motorer1
12-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Keep up the good work.

Egg Nog
12-11-2003, 10:01 PM
Woah... I finally got to drive my car today, after more than a year of working on it :)

It was awesome. It was only a quick 2-minute spin, but now I'm totally excited about getting it fully completed and liscenced. Just thought that I'd let you guys know. It could be on the road as early as next week.

By the way, it sounded totally awesome, and attracted tons of attention. Yessssssss...

NoOne
12-12-2003, 06:21 AM
That is awesome!! more pix and a video clip would be cool

Motorer1
12-12-2003, 11:27 AM
You know, i want to congratulate you for putting so much work into what could be considered the ugliest Porsche. But its obvious that you care for your car so much, and now I realize that the 914 is a really great car. Good on ya, mate!

Egg Nog
12-14-2003, 03:52 PM
You know, i want to congratulate you for putting so much work into what could be considered the ugliest Porsche. But its obvious that you care for your car so much, and now I realize that the 914 is a really great car. Good on ya, mate!

Thank you. I truly appreciate hearing comments like that one.

It's also my opinion that the 914 is one of the ugliest Porsches, besides for a couple. What appealed to me, though, is that it was the "$450est" Porsche. ;)

I've heard from a couple of other forums that the 914 is actually one of the greatest hadling cars ever, and its weight allows for hadling much better than even most modern sports cars. That's probably why its been constantly rated among the top cars for autocrossing, bar none.

I'm really happy with it so far, and I think that's only going to get better as more days go by. I defintely think that the 914 is highly under-rated.

Boxster17
01-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Well I guess that answers my question as to how you decided on the 914 :)

I've never really been too fond of that model, but I guess it all depends on what you do to it. But being a Porsche lover myself, I'd take just about any of them...

And I haven't seen this anywhere, so I'll ask it again. Do you know when abouts you think you'll get this car restored to the point that you think it to be complete? What I'm wondering is how far along your plan you are for this car...

Egg Nog
01-10-2004, 06:36 PM
Well I guess that answers my question as to how you decided on the 914 :)

I've never really been too fond of that model, but I guess it all depends on what you do to it. But being a Porsche lover myself, I'd take just about any of them...

And I haven't seen this anywhere, so I'll ask it again. Do you know when abouts you think you'll get this car restored to the point that you think it to be complete? What I'm wondering is how far along your plan you are for this car...

Well, I think I've pretty much given up on the whole "restoration" aspect of it, and I'm starting to look at it as more of my daily driver type of car. Right now I'm going to get a little bit of touch of painting done, install a few n.o.s. parts that I got over the holidays, and get the heater fixed :)

The 914 seems to be quite a reliable This car so far has been very good to me, despite the one time I accidentally almost lit it on fire welding near some fuel lines ;)

Without a doubt the best thing about the 914 is its handling. As you probably read above, it's got some progressive AutoX springs in the back of it, which only make it that much better. ;) It's got a heavy feel to it, (no power steering, brakes, etc....nothing) but the weight balance and the center of gravity is just incredible. I don't even think I can name another similar car with such a low center of gravity...

Misho
01-10-2004, 08:06 PM
I don't even think I can name another similar car with such a low center of gravity...

u really love saying "center of gravity" !! i noticed it in a number of different threads so far !!

anyways man, keep up the good work. update with pics nd if possible with a video like the one u sent to me a couple of weeks back.

Egg Nog
01-11-2004, 12:40 AM
u really love saying "center of gravity" !! i noticed it in a number of different threads so far !!

If anyone else knows another term for "center of gravity", then I'd love to know it. That way, I don't need to keep embarassingly repeating myself :)

It is an extremely important factor in defining a sports car. Shouldn't it have another term? Maybe we can invent a new term for it, or maybe just call it the CoG :)

mechanixfetch
01-11-2004, 03:46 PM
Doesn't Brim (Physics 12 teacher at WVSS) call it the center of mass. you can alternate that with CoG. Then if we're really lucky in a year visitors to the site will have no idea what we're saying because we'll be talking in TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms) :D

Egg Nog
01-11-2004, 04:48 PM
New 914 update:

After sitting in the snow for 3 weeks or so, the goddamn peice of crap won't start!#>!&! I'm so angry. I'm getting a spark at all of the leads, got fuel, and the starter will turn it over just fine. Zero firing, though. Nothing.

I'll keep you posted as time passes, but it will probably be fairly boring anyway...

mechanixfetch
01-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Cracked fuel line? Frozen Pump? just a suggestion

Egg Nog
01-12-2004, 12:41 AM
Cracked fuel line? Frozen Pump? just a suggestion

Actually, I'm thinking it's probably either that there's something wrong with the spark plugs or that the engine is flooded (general smell of gas). I tried the ol' chemically-assisted start by spraying some ether in the throttle body, but it was unfortunately to no avail.

I'll take a serious look at it tomorrow.