PDA

View Full Version : Evo vs STi ... with a twist

KnifeEdge_2K1
10-31-2004, 11:59 AM
ok we all know that these two cars have a couple of the most advanced awd systems availble on road cars. But how do they fare on real roads in the wet and in the snow?

Now since the sti only got really popular here in canada in the last year it hasnt faced an actual winter yet. Now to anyone in the UK who've either owned one of these cars or driven one of these in the snow/ice/wet/rain, how do they handle and do they live up to their hype?

KnifeEdge_2K1
10-31-2004, 12:00 PM
against everything i believe in I think the sti SHOULD have better handling in the snow because it as we all know has quite a bit of understeer dialed into it, although the evo with it's ACD have 3 settings (tarmac gravel and snow) i'm not sure how the snow setting works so i can't give it the thumbs up

Hell_Unleashed
10-31-2004, 12:02 PM
I remember in Top Gear they compared both cars and Jeremy concluded by just saying they are basicallly the same in every way... I love both of those cars equally...

Cotterik
10-31-2004, 12:34 PM
The Evo is more technologically advanced than the Sti; Its AWD system is one of the most concentrated there is. For example you can choose whever you want the Evo to adjust to either Tarmac, gravel, or snow, on the dashboard (see below)

http://www.r-jay.co.uk/evo7_aluminium_dash_panel.jpg

The cars are very closely compared and there isnt much between them, both are rally legends and both would get you through the snow better than almost any other car. They are made for tough terrains and tough weather so even questioning if they perform well in rain etc is somewhat of an insult.

If there was to be one car that would work best in winter however, it would be the Evo as it can be manually adjusted to suit its surroundings.

KnifeEdge_2K1
10-31-2004, 01:06 PM
yeah but with the power these two cars have it'll be very easy to loose traction, the sti has quite a bit of understeer dialed in which is much easier to control compared to oversteer

Spastik_Roach
10-31-2004, 08:11 PM
But you see Cotterik, you're biased towards the EVO so we can't really trust you! lol

RacingManiac
11-01-2004, 05:06 PM
I'd imagine with the limited slip front diff on the STi it probably can put the power down better, but then again on the gravel test C&D did before with Evo and STi Steve Millen said STi is unpredictable on loose surface...