PDA

View Full Version : The Jetta

manicmechanic
11-08-2003, 02:18 AM
Hey guys, in your opinion what do you think is the best engine option that you could have in a 1992 VW Jetta?

henk4
11-08-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by manicmechanic
Hey guys, in your opinion what do you think is the best engine option that you could have in a 1992 VW Jetta?

TDI if that's available in Canada.

Egg Nog
11-08-2003, 01:17 PM
Well, I love my parent's 2000 TDi because you can pay 28 bucks and go for around 1000km on one tank. Of course, it really depends on what you're looking for. The Jetta VR6 was the fastest and most powerful.

manicmechanic
11-08-2003, 01:58 PM
Well, i was thiking for overall usage- i.e. gas millage, and power.

I mean the TDI is a good choice for it but if the turbo goes it the car doesnt and the turbo is not the cheapest thing ot replace.

henk4
11-08-2003, 02:41 PM

I mean the TDI is a good choice for it but if the turbo goes it the car doesnt and the turbo is not the cheapest thing ot replace.

The turbos are very reliable, would not worry about that. The other potential hazard is the fuel pump, but again, it's a very proven technology.

Egg Nog
11-09-2003, 06:02 PM

Turbo replacement could probably be done for less than 600$ Canadian with the right parts.

But trust us, they're extremely reliable. There's a Diesel '94 Golf around my area with 329,000 kms (!) on the original stock engine. No problems with the engine whatsoever.

manicmechanic
11-09-2003, 10:14 PM
That's insane the trubo has lasted that long!

I guess that isn't too much of a worrie for me then, thanx