PDA

View Full Version : Ford XR6 Turbo vs Nissan Skyline R34 4 Door GTS-T

Blue Supra
11-04-2004, 12:04 AM
What do you guys think? Its an interesting comparison...
I personally would get the Skyline as its better value over the XR6T with the same amount of Bling thrown at it as a XR6T would cost. Plus im just a sucker for Japanese cars:p

fpv_gtho
11-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Both cars have their merits, but i rather the XR6T. The engine isnt as proven as the RB as far as modifications go, but its stood up to a million kays from the base models.

Both cars also have their hero models i suppose with the GT-R and F6 Typhoon

DattoRB26DETT
11-04-2004, 12:15 AM
Both cars have their merits, but i rather the XR6T. The engine isnt as proven as the RB as far as modifications go, but its stood up to a million kays from the base models.

Both cars also have their hero models i suppose with the GT-R and F6 Typhoon
there is no r34 gtst its the gtr and the gtt mullet man!

fpv_gtho
11-04-2004, 12:23 AM
Found this on a simple Goodle search: http://www.gibspeed.com/cars/index.php?view=car&id=48

Leave the technical crap to me Bass :p

and is not a mullet you tool!

holdens
11-04-2004, 02:20 AM
is the xr6 turbo limited like the one in production or is it the free running engine because thats a freaking awsome engine when it isnt limited.
so imo xr6 limited then i would go skyline but non limited xr6 turbo then i'd go the ford

fpv_gtho
11-04-2004, 02:24 AM
well if your talking about the 230km/h speed limiter, i think in all fairness it should be considered with it left on, i know APS have taken one to 307km/h though, luckily on a runway :D

Sweeney921
11-04-2004, 07:54 AM
oh snap, I just tied it up

Esperante
11-04-2004, 08:33 AM
I just tied it up too. XR6 for me.

Blue Supra
11-04-2004, 07:22 PM
more opinions guys? Both have got their merits... XR6T is an Aussie "muscle" icon nowadays that has started it own cult like groups.. bit like the VL turbo did back in the 80s... Whereas the Skyline is just massively popular everywhere you go...

jcp123
11-05-2004, 01:43 AM
Probably the Ford. I'm tired of hearing about Skylines.

fpv_gtho
11-05-2004, 03:30 AM
well i guess heres some facts, The Skyline would be pushing about 1500kg whilst the Falcons easily got 1700kg, although the RB engine is punching out just over 200kw whilst the Falcon has a solid 240kw. Im not sure on torque figures with the Skyline, but the Falcon puts 450nm to the ground from 2000-4500rpm.

motorsportnerd
11-06-2004, 03:37 AM
Not really a fair comparison guys. You're comparing an out of production car (the Skyline) with a current production car. Also, the two don't compete directly in the market place. The only two markets where you could find both cars are NZ and Australia. And in both cases, the Skyline would be a second hand import.

You really need to compare the current R35 Skyline (see http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/4_02_nis.htm) with the Falcon. The match up would be more appropriate with the non-turbo XR6 since there is no turbo Skyline in the R35 lineup - top engine is a 3.5 litre V6 - similar to the engine in the 350Z, but detuned. Even then, it is not possible to buy both cars brand new - for the same reasons as above.

Of course, Nissan is missing the boat by not importing the Skyline into Australia as a new car - priced right it could take sales off the Commodore and Falcon.
Given all that, I'd take the Falcon - mainly because I prefer the styling...

holdens
11-06-2004, 04:20 AM
call me crazy if u will but i am really dissapointed about the looks of the r35 skyline it just doesn't strike me like the r32 r33 n r34. i no they were aaiming for a totally new direction for the skyline but imo its the wrong direction at this stage

SlickHolden
11-06-2004, 02:48 PM
I lean towards the Skyline i think it's a great car it always has been, But as some have said you get sick and tired of the dam thing, They are everywhere and they havent changed in looks a great deal going on what i have seen i could be wrong.
But then i lean towrds the XR it's Aussie it's big it's fast it's got handling but only RWD which is good but the Skyline can come AWD.
Both can be worked a great deal, So now i lean back towards the Skyline again parts are as easy to get as rice:p And cheap.
But i'll go with the XR6 if it was the GTR coupe i would have picked that.
If the VL Turbo was here i would say that would kick both there buts:p

fpv_gtho
11-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Ive been told its only the GT-R thats AWD so that rules it out here i guess

Luciferous
11-06-2004, 10:37 PM
call me crazy if u will but i am really dissapointed about the looks of the r35 skyline it just doesn't strike me like the r32 r33 n r34. i no they were aaiming for a totally new direction for the skyline but imo its the wrong direction at this stage

Its a product of Nissan gettiong their asses saved by the French, now all their styling is sposed to be european, hence the 350Z and Maxima

jetpow
01-09-2005, 02:55 AM
Ive been told its only the GT-R thats AWD so that rules it out here i guess

This may solve the debate here, but again it may not. I currently have a 93 model R32 GTS4 (yes 4WD) turbo, the car has been modified with a change of engine to the RB26. I have just recently changed occupations which has caused me to purchase a ute, more specifically an XR6 Turbo. I have always been a skyline fan and have never dreamt of owning any other car until this day. Both cars in standard form, the XR6 Turbo smashes the skyline all over the road. I have always hated fords and holdens, but the XR6 turbo really surprised me. A mate of mine has an XR6 Turbo that has been modified APS stage 3. This modification cost less than A$10000 and has produced 328rwkw. I have spent over $15000 on mods for the skyline and it has only produced a$297rwkw. More would be needed. As for the weight factor, the XR6 Turbo weighs 1694kg in a sedan form (i have the ute so a little lighter). The skyline on the other hand weighs 1532kg (remember this is a R32 so the lightest model and in 4wd). I am sorry to say and yes it breaks my heart but the XR6 Turbo has this debate hands down. Best way of deciding would be to have a brand new skyline (stopped making) with a single turbo, up against a brand new XR6 Turbo and either run both standard or whatever mod you do to one you must make to the other. This way the comparison remains the same.

fpv_gtho
01-09-2005, 03:11 AM
The Falcon utes are actually about 30-50kg heavier than the sedans believe it or not. Other than that, it'd be the torque of the XR6T doing that, same as the 60nm extra a standard Falcon has over the standard Commodore despite the Falcon having the worse power/weight ratio, its the quicker of the duo