PDA

View Full Version : What game has the best graphics?

Luciferous
11-21-2004, 05:34 AM
Just to see what game made you last stand back and say "Wow."
There are very few games out there that not only have good graphics, but they actually blow you away.
I remember probably the first game I ever saw which made me do that was Turok 2 on the N64. Not a very good game, and I often wished nothing more than to meet the level designer so I could beat him to a pulp, but damn it had some sweet visuals and plenty of OTT gore. The next game that stepped up to the challenge was Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast, I remember just sitting there for about 5 minutes just watching the game. The next one was GT3, I remember seeing the previews of the replays and I was just blown away, it looked so realistic, and it still does.

The most recent game which has made me reassess what I think is good isn't Half Life 2, nor Doom 3, but a humble little offering from Relic (I think) called Dawn of War, which is based off the Warhammer 40,000 franchise. I remember the other game FireWarrior was total crap but Dawn of War is just something else as far as graphics go, just because of the sheer scale of detail on it. You can have about 30 or 40 units on screen battling it out among each other and the animation and detail is fantastic, especially when you zoom in on the action and pan the camera across. My main regret about the game (and so many RTS's) is the lack of a Dungeon Keeper style possession ability to fully take advantage of showing off these awesome visuals, but I suppose you can't have everything.

So what do you guys think of which games not only have good graphics, but excellent graphics?

lambo GT
11-21-2004, 05:35 AM
it has to be nfsu 2. its got a poor game play but the graphics are exellent

Matra et Alpine
11-21-2004, 05:45 AM
Problem with this on the PC is how much has been spent on the graphics.

Just had a few goes on mates sons PC with $400 vid card.

Absolutely AWSOME.
Richard Burns looked lije you were IN ther real stage.
CMR4 looked impressive too.
Half-life 2 is superb VERY life like.

So I think it gets hard trying to compare ''bets' because few can see it at BEST :(
Except on the fixed formats like PS2 and Xbox which are a year behind the state of the art hardware :)

So far, Richard Burns and HalfLife2 are the best EVER seen for me.

I found NFSU2 nice and glitzy on the cars and car reflectsion but a poor second for the terrain and buildings

McLareN
11-21-2004, 05:46 AM
Project Gotham Racing 2 has superb graphics

Blitz_
11-21-2004, 05:50 AM
id have to say Half life 2, makes nfsu:2 look like a atari launch game, then afta doom3, then s.t.a.l.k.e.r then halo2

lambo GT
11-21-2004, 05:52 AM
Midnight club 2 has quite good graphics aswell

Mustang
11-21-2004, 05:52 AM
the physics on half life 2 are exactly perfect to real life :)

Blitz_
11-21-2004, 05:55 AM
i wouldnt go that far, alot of occasions i found the ai to be, well homer simpson dumb, i mean wtf do u do when a combine soldier is runng into a wall. Anyhow, they are very realistic, not exactly perfect.

Matra et Alpine
11-21-2004, 06:05 AM
i wouldnt go that far, alot of occasions i found the ai to be, well homer simpson dumb, i mean wtf do u do when a combine soldier is runng into a wall. Anyhow, they are very realistic, not exactly perfect.
You need to turn off the "American Marine" mode for the AI :)

"special forces" mode is better but you'll find it even more realistic to turn on "Britsh Army" aka "Australian Army", for the real challenge turn it on to "SAS" :)

However none of these change the GRAPHICS which is the question at this time !!!!

Luciferous
11-21-2004, 06:21 AM
Nicely said, especially the bit about the SAS, keep both parties happy....

Actually the last Colin McRae game has some damn good graphics, it had really particular attention to detail, like the rain effect on the windscreen and the way the red tape tore and stretched went you went off course (I saw that quite a lot).

What I'm trying to get at is games that not only are the best at their field, but genuinely make you stop and look at it for the sheer beauty of it. Kind of like the effect for me from seeing a Z4 in a carpark, you just have to stop and watch, you don't even need to play the game to apprectiate the graphics.

SlickHolden
11-21-2004, 06:24 AM
I remeber a game on Playstation years back called metal gear solid, That was unreal graphics for a game on that consol back then, Even today it's not that bad,

Todays games i think PC makes for better graphics but as for which game?............................................. Enter the matrix was very good, As is Underground2, Hitman 2 is also good, LOTR return of the king, Max payne 2.
Then there is a game called x-files that not many people know about was fantastic to play it with real people in the game talk with scully and mulder it was unreal:D

IWantAnAudiRS6
11-21-2004, 07:22 AM
Worms, the original one :D:D:D (joke)

Anyone here played Far Cry? The graphics in that are fabulous. Looks real.

wickedgam
11-21-2004, 07:35 AM
far cry rulzzzzz!!!!:)
but i liked mafia very much

Luciferous
11-21-2004, 07:52 AM
Worms, the original one :D:D:D (joke)

Anyone here played Far Cry? The graphics in that are fabulous. Looks real.

Far Cry is good, but it didn't stand out to me. I'm sure the graphics were really good, but the character design was derivative at best, and nothing cried out originality, the setting was the only thing it had going for it. Far Cry's graphics and looks were basically taken from all different games and put together. Its like the sales pitch went along the lines of "OK you know Doom? Now imagine that on a desert island."

What makes a game stand out is little details and things that noone has. You might say 'Well GT3 is just a car racing game'. Well, it is, but it was the first game to have a television style camera effect, which made the game look all the more realistic. Dawn of War is the first I've seen thats put so much detail onto the screen with good character design and layout which all ends in a game that you can just sit and watch.

TheOne
11-21-2004, 09:59 AM
Half Life 2, just cause yeh, it has graphics.......good graphics.
i played x-files for psx:).....was quite nice and scary(when played at night).

dydzi
11-21-2004, 10:01 AM
half life 2 and doom 3 - you can't compare nothing to it

RacingManiac
11-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Just a list from the last few years:

Ground Control: a real time strategy game with free camera roaming and 3d battle field and full 3d unit. The dust effect, the sunlight, desert, snow and forest in the game absolutely blew my mind away. Graphic wise and game play wise it was superior to all the other 3d RTS at the time.

Splinter Cell(for PC): The use of shadow and lighting and the life like motion of the people, and then Pandora Tomorrow's grass field and forest. Superb graphic.

F1 Challenge 99-02: Pretty old now but the graphic will still blow GT4 away simply due to the fact that the lack of high resolution in any console offering....

Doom III: I don't think I have played any game that even looks this good even on lower resolution(800x600). The shadow and the environment is quite amazing.

PsychoChimp22
11-21-2004, 12:45 PM
FFXI and FFXII

narb
11-21-2004, 12:48 PM
Midnight club 2 has quite good graphics aswell
i agree with you

F1_Master
11-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Half-Life 2 has blown anything else out of the water for me. The Doom 3.

But if GT4 had been released on its very FIRST date, I'd say it has the best graphics for a racer.

IWantAnAudiRS6
11-21-2004, 02:15 PM
far cry rulzzzzz!!!!:)
but i liked mafia very much

MAFIA! MY FAVOURITEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it. Just like Vice City, but older. Have you unlocked the hot rods???

Far Cry- those mutant monkeys scared the sh*t out of me...

Blitz_
11-21-2004, 03:25 PM
" nothing cried out "

pun anyone?? lol

Half Life 2 looks much better than doom3, i was sick of the dark corridors after an hour, hl2 u feel immersed in a small american fishing town, withought the fish

tmnt_ppn
11-21-2004, 04:49 PM
NFSU2 i think. it has so much graphics that the gameplay cant get to it.

Rockefella
11-21-2004, 04:51 PM
NFSU2 i think. it has so much graphics that the gameplay cant get to it.
LMAO, NFSU's graphics are horrendous compared to a game like Gran Turismo 4.

tmnt_ppn
11-21-2004, 04:55 PM
the gran turismo gameplay is better too...

Matra et Alpine
11-21-2004, 05:04 PM
the gran turismo gameplay is better too...
aaaaaaaaaaaaargh, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOm I can't stand GT's "drift" mentality on the handling of a car.

Great fun but best for the arcade than the simulation :)

Blitz_
11-21-2004, 09:17 PM
i agree, and GT gets soooo boring sometimes

RacingManiac
11-22-2004, 12:20 AM
LMAO, NFSU's graphics are horrendous compared to a game like Gran Turismo 4.

GT4 will never look as good as NFSU did on Computer though, high resolution, anti-aliasing, compare to the flat texture and jagged graphic ability of PS2.....

jcp123
11-22-2004, 12:23 AM
Franky, I love GT's gameplay. Then again, it's about the only racing game I've ever played. I dont play video games much.

PerfAdv
11-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Franky, I love GT's gameplay. Then again, it's about the only racing game I've ever played. I dont play video games much.
I like GT3 but if you play it back to back with the NeedForSpeed series it seems boring. Being more of simulator than NFS it's expected but I didn't play them on the same day(s) for this reason. Graphics wise I can't say which is better, I havn't tried NFSU2, NFSU had busier graphics not necessarily better.

jcp123
11-22-2004, 12:48 AM
I play GT2 since it has more normal cars. For some reason, I don't have as much fun in the top of the line kind of cars that GT3 concentrates on. If I could have GT1/2's car selection combined with GT3's graphics, that wouldn't be bad. I'd love more classics though.

Come to think of it, I did used to have a fair amount of fun playing NFSII back in the day. But again, it only had supercars which put me off.