PDA

View Full Version : ferrari enzo vs ford gt

narb
11-21-2004, 12:16 PM
-ferrari enzo
-ford gt

from Ferrari) The race track has always been the testing ground for the advanced technological research that later went into Ferrari's road cars. The very first Ferrari, built in 1947, was a 12-cylinder racing car. From that first 12-cylinder, 126 more were born, destined for both track and road. The Enzo Ferrari is not only the marque's latest V12, it is also a pinnacle of excellence drawing on the experience of victories in the last four years of the Formula 1 World Championship, thus endowed with the very latest automotive technology.
Company founder Enzo Ferrari always felt that design of the road cars should stem from the racers. Therefore, it was entirely logical that the company's latest creation should bear his name. The Enzo, built in a limited run of 399, is an outstanding expression of the concept of extreme sportiness, developed for road use, yet epitomizing the most advanced concepts of Formula 1 racing technology
Ferrari set out to develop the Enzo as an integrated system designed for extreme performance, in which even the limits of the performance achievable by the driver were enhanced, thanks to a man-machine interface typical of Formula 1.
Never before has style been derived so directly from function as in this model. Pininfarina wanted to create an uncompromising car that would break away from the approach used for the GTO, F40 and F50 that preceded it, to develop a new formal language that looked to the future. The engineers tried to create visual links with the world of Formula 1, to which the Enzo owes its technology, while highlighting its compactness and lightness. The result is a complex, sculpted form.
The use of advanced composite materials for the bodywork, with parts made of sandwich panels of carbon fibre and Nomex, allowed the designer to structure the bodyshell while keeping the weight to a minimum, and creating "extreme" stylistic forms.
The front, with its two air intakes for the radiators and a raised central section, is an interpretation of the Formula 1 front section with a small pointed, raised nose and air-intakes under the spoilers in a gull-wing effect. The sides, also benefit from the use of composites, shaped to optimise air-flow with respect to internal fluid dynamics. The large spoiler has been eliminated from the car's rear section which now boasts small aerodynamic appendages and very efficient ground effects.

narb
11-21-2004, 12:19 PM
ferrari enzo #2

dydzi
11-21-2004, 12:23 PM
i think its a little bit unfair
in my opinion ferrari is technologically more advanced

narb
11-21-2004, 12:23 PM
ford gt
from Ford Press Release) It was in France, in the mid-1960s, that the great American supercar came to life. A low-slung, muscular racing car built to win on the legendary Le Mans race circuit, the Ford GT project was spearheaded by no less a powerhouse than company Chairman and CEO Henry Ford II. His goal was to change performance car history. And he did. The Ford GT race car beat the world’s best in endurance racing, placing 1-2-3 at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966 and winning the next three consecutive years.

Today, the all-new 2005 Ford GT supercar comes to life in the form of three production road cars that honor the classic race cars in design and engineering ingenuity. Ford’s “Centennial Supercar” builds on the company’s product-led transformation and will be the flagship of Ford Division’s 2004 “Year of the Car” that will include the launches of the Ford Five Hundred sedan, Freestyle crossover and legendary Mustang – and then the Ford Futura mid-size sedan in 2005.

“The Ford GT is our Centennial Supercar because it reaches into great moments from our past, while casting a light into the future,” said Chris Theodore, vice president, Ford Advance Product Creation. “As we celebrate our centennial, the Ford GT represents many of the technologies, processes and people that will help drive our next 100 years.”

narb
11-21-2004, 12:25 PM
ford gt

narb
11-21-2004, 12:28 PM
i think its a little bit unfair
in my opinion ferrari is technologically more advanced
if you think ferrari is better why you dont vote ;)

PerfAdv
11-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Saleen S7 might have been a better match. I'd probably still vote Enzo.
automobile magazine S7 review (http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/SaleenS7/)

McLareN
11-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Enzo for me although i love the Ford GT

F1_Master
11-21-2004, 12:58 PM
Enzo. No doubt. That car is Formula 1 Racing Inspired. The GT is more inspired from the GT40. Now, if Ford have never taken the "bring back cars and make them retro" route, then GT may not be here.

However, I think the S7 puts up a fight. It is America's Fastest Representing Supercar.

illusionest
11-21-2004, 12:59 PM
um.. wtf
enzo VS ford GT??!?!
enzo, definitely, no comparison

lambo GT
11-21-2004, 01:12 PM
enzo without a doubt. there is no comparison

tmnt_ppn
11-21-2004, 02:10 PM
Ford GT is no match for the Enzo!

360_challenge
11-21-2004, 02:10 PM
i agree, you can't compare the two, its like comparing Brazil with Spain , in soccer(football terms),brazil being the enzo,both great teams but the former is just in a league of its own...

Sweeney921
11-21-2004, 02:32 PM
enzo, no questions asked

Chinky_boi
11-21-2004, 03:15 PM
but comparing the price... then thats a different factor. Ford GT has almost performance of a Enzo for 1/4 of the price.

jcp123
11-21-2004, 04:09 PM
I guess the GT40. I don't like the Enzo at all and paying 600k for a car I don't want makes less sense than payin 150K for a car I don't want.

Sweeney921
11-21-2004, 04:24 PM
I guess the GT40. I don't like the Enzo at all and paying 600k for a car I don't want makes less sense than payin 150K for a car I don't want.
this isnt the GT40. we're talking about the GT

jcp123
11-21-2004, 04:25 PM
wait...im confused...we ARE talking about the new Ford GT40 sportscar, right? Inspired by the original GT40 from the 60's? Or is there something I'm missing...?

Matra et Alpine
11-21-2004, 04:37 PM
wait...im confused...we ARE talking about the new Ford GT40 sportscar, right? Inspired by the original GT40 from the 60's? Or is there something I'm missing...?
Only that Ford for some marketing or copyright reason are calling it the Ford GT.

So the GT and the GT40 are 2 different cars seperated by 40 years :)

jcp123
11-21-2004, 04:38 PM
oh, ok...I just thought they called the new one the GT40, too. That's kinda weird. Freakin' Ford, they're startin to tick me off.

Matra et Alpine
11-21-2004, 04:46 PM
See they're looking to put a $100,000 markup on already.

one for sale at $250,000. Anyone stupid enough to pay that ?????
http://www.gt40club.clara.net/gt40conceptsale.htm

PsychoChimp22
11-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Those two cars are the two boundries of the supercar world..... you cant compare them. Price doesnt even matter seeing as both cars are quite unobtainable..... Im not even going to vote.

cmcpokey
11-21-2004, 06:34 PM
the enzo is a car built with cutting edge technology with the goal to be the most advanced car in the world. the ford gt is recycled tech that ford has been using for 40 years

jcp123
11-21-2004, 06:44 PM
the enzo is a car built with cutting edge technology with the goal to be the most advanced car in the world. the ford gt is recycled tech that ford has been using for 40 years

I'm no fan of the GT or new Fords...but that is pretty far from the truth...

Radoman
11-21-2004, 10:06 PM
The Enzo eats the GT for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Mid-afternoon snack, Dinner, and the Midnight snack. and it STILL doesn't put on weight.

jcp123
11-21-2004, 10:07 PM
Yeah it does. At 600K it had dang well better. But seeing as how that much performance is pretty soporific on the street anyway...

Radoman
11-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Only that Ford for some marketing or copyright reason are calling it the Ford GT.

So the GT and the GT40 are 2 different cars seperated by 40 years :)

I would also like to make note that the original GT wasn't actually going to be called the GT40. that name was added on by a second party, and the name stuck. similarly, Ford does not own the copyrights to the name "GT40", so that is why it's simply called the GT.

PerfAdv
11-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Yeah it does. At 600K it had dang well better. But seeing as how that much performance is pretty soporific on the street anyway...
Nobody told Ford to make a car for 150K. Why is higher cost always seen as a crutch for a car? The Saleen S7 costs 400K and doesn't fair much better against the Enzo. :)

jcp123
11-21-2004, 10:32 PM
I guess nobody would buy a 600k Ford. 150k is pushing it. I think it does well for the price, the Enzo less so. Plus there's the looks of the Enzo, which I find jsut hideous. Even if they looked as they do, but the performance and prices were reversed, I'd find some excuse to like the Ford better :D

PerfAdv
11-22-2004, 01:18 AM
I guess nobody would buy a 600k Ford. 150k is pushing it. I think it does well for the price, the Enzo less so. Plus there's the looks of the Enzo, which I find jsut hideous. Even if they looked as they do, but the performance and prices were reversed, I'd find some excuse to like the Ford better:D

Some people buy furcoats for tens of thousands, in that respect the Ford GT is much faster than any mink or lynx. Sry, I just don't see the connection between speed and price. So maybe other than Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Bugatti (soon), and some of the more expensive Porsches, most cars are budget sportscars. They could've been much faster if they had exotic materials, better engines, and better designed suspensions from better paid engineers. Does an Enzo need to be 4 times faster than the GT to be worth 600K? Does a Ford GT need to be thrice as fast as a Porsche Boxster S? No, because speed is not the currency.

Enzo Ferrari refused to sell to Ford for any price if he couldn't call the shots as to the direction of the company, didn't matter what the price. Same way if Ford built a $1.5 million exotic, Ferrari fans would seem funny crying foul. Saying, "Of course, the Ford exotic is faster, look at its price."

Speed is its own virtue. If the Ultima GTR can outrun an Enzo for 1/6th the price, its not six times plus some change better. It's better by the number of seconds it bettered its competition. :)

jcp123
11-22-2004, 01:35 AM
I guess you and i think differently. I always do a cost/benefit analysis on everything I buy...from a pair of pants to my cars. When it comes to price, it's all part of the bigger picure. To me, the Enzo's performance is definitely not worth the price, but to others it may be.

Here's how I assess it:

Par of that picture is aesthetics. I don't find the Enzo to be attractive at all. So that's out.

Part of that picture is quality. Well, we all know what I think of the "quality" in new cars, nobody wins there. If anything, the Ford gets some advantage here because Italians typically sacrifice overall quality and durability for flair.

Part of that is sex appeal. The Ferrari owns. You'd get 8420938409 times the poon in the Enzo, lets face it.

Part of it is raw performance numbers. Advantage Enzo.

Part of it is the attitude with which it performs. The Ford appeals more to me here with its low-revving supercharged V8. Too bad it's not pushrod.

Part of it is price. At 4x the price of the Ford GT, the Enzo had better be worth it.

Overall, the Ford wins for me because of its price advantage and the way it drives. Most of these criteria are subjective, but then any car at this level is bought as much on passions as on raw hard data and logical thought. The Enzo's styling and price just leave me cold.

PerfAdv
11-22-2004, 01:46 AM
I appreciate your take on this comparo. It's not that I don't see your side/POV. Certainly, in a cost analysis the Ford does come out ahead. I think your statement where you say, "these cars are as much on passions as on raw hard data and logical thought," is the clincher. There's no debating set beliefs but only room enough for understanding the other POV.

I can hope but probably will never own an Enzo but I like the concept. Maybe snobby but its price and exclusivity is part of the appeal. If you can afford it that makes its, inaccessible for most, price an additional bonus.

jcp123
11-22-2004, 01:49 AM
You nailed it, the snobby exclusivity is probably the biggest draw of the Enzo, rather than its performance. It has loads of that...and I have to admit that does appeal to me quite a bit. That same snobby flamboyance is why I like Cadillacs with their foot high fins.

Mattg
11-22-2004, 05:33 AM
you cant compare these cars the enzo is way out of the gt's league

ashes2ashes
11-23-2004, 10:00 AM
enzo is the MUCH better supercar, BUT it costs 4 1/2 times as much...and it is NOT 4 times better than the GT.

Esperante
11-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Well, I'd say that seeing about how biased this forum is, the average users will vote Ferrari just because it's a Ferrari.

I like the Ford. America has been waiting for a Porsche beater for YEARS. After all, the GT was desigend to beat the 360, not the Enzo. And it did just that.

ScionDriver
11-23-2004, 11:54 AM
I see what you're saying but come on, really, the cars are completely different when you break it down. Enzo is F1 inspiried while the GT is more LeMans inspiried. Then you have the fact that the materials used are completely different as well which affects price. Maybe I could agree with you if they were both built out of Carbon Fiber and had big brand new V12s.

taz_rocks_miami
11-23-2004, 03:40 PM
you cant compare these cars the enzo is way out of the gt's league

One thing we've all forgotten on this thread is that the Ford GT was made to compete with the Ferrari 360 not the Enzo. Ford even had a 360 on hand while designing the GT to make sure it out performed the 360. Since the 360 is no more, it's closest Ferrari competitor is the F430. I'd love to see the Ford GT and the F430 go head to head on a track.

Esperante
11-23-2004, 04:56 PM
I second that, seeing as the GT blew the doors of a 360, it would be interesting to see what would come of the F430.

250 GTO
06-03-2005, 04:26 PM
The Ferrari Enzo is a way more stylish and better performing car than the GT

Quiggs
06-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Stop. Seriously.

Matra et Alpine
06-03-2005, 04:34 PM
The Ferrari Enzo is a way more stylish and better performing car than the GT
You've been guided on behaviour via PM

You've been warned in threads.

Take this as a LAST warning. Resurrect old threads with inane comments and you will be banned for a day to cool your ardour !!

Godlaus
06-03-2005, 05:30 PM
One thing we've all forgotten on this thread is that the Ford GT was made to compete with the Ferrari 360 not the Enzo. Ford even had a 360 on hand while designing the GT to make sure it out performed the 360. Since the 360 is no more, it's closest Ferrari competitor is the F430. I'd love to see the Ford GT and the F430 go head to head on a track.

BTT everyone.

Motor trend reviewed the GT and the F430, and proclaimed the GT the winner.

Besides, I've heard rumours of changing the SC pulley on the GT and fetching a 3.0 0-60 time.

Although stock, I'd go with the enzo....again.

capone
03-26-2006, 03:59 AM
IMO, the Ford GT was never directed towards 360. The GT came a few years after the 360 was already launched. I've read in motor mags that the F430 is the car that they would choose when compared with the Ford GT even though the Ford GT is slightly faster. That is understandable as we are comparing 4.3 litre V8 against a 5.4 litre V8 with Supercharging. It is a matter of preferences and opinions. I think the Ford GT is a closer competitor to the Enzo than the F430. I would pick the Enzo by a country mile. I find the Ford GT very ugly and "backward" looking but that is just my opionion. I sure other people had other opinions.

GT40
03-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Hah! this is just an unfair comparison!
But anyway my choice would be Ford GT (Definetly!)

F1_Master
03-26-2006, 01:37 PM
The post regarding Italians sacrificing quality is only partially true.

The 612 China tests showed that Ferrari quality and reliability has come very far.

Guibo
03-26-2006, 04:19 PM
IMO, the Ford GT was never directed towards 360. The GT came a few years after the 360 was already launched.
It's not really a matter of opinion. It's a fact that Ford benchmarked the 360. The F430 wasn't even out yet when Ford's test mules were being put through their paces. I think the first production Ford GT rolled out even several months after the 360 Challenge Stradale was released.

Between the Enzo and GT, I'd take the Enzo, but the GT isn't that far off.