Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 24 Hours of Le Mans, LMS and ALMS news

Quote Originally Posted by KFA-R View Post
    They are letting the Japanese Lambo Owners Club team in again? they would want to have a better showing than last year, personally I thought that would/should have been a nail in their racing career coffin.
    They received an automatic entry for winning the Asian Le Mans Series... Otherwise I doubt they'd be in.

Oreca fastest at the Paul Ricard track tests, but with the AIM engine and not with the Pug, which was 1.6 seconds slower....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I call sandbagging....lol
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I call sandbagging....lol
    well, the Pug broke down this afternoon...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

In that case just typical french car then....lol
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

And the weird gets weirder....R15 Plus:
    Mulsanne's Corner News, March/April 2010
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I love it also, but not denying its weird looking...lol

unfortunate comparison can be drawn to the 2004 Williams though....

I also like the spin they put on the press release that it was to "improve aero efficiency". While thats true(and needed), a huge chunk was required by the rule...

The debut will be the Ricard race? Is Factory Peugeot in that one?
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Also whats with the Aluminum wing struts? Even Peugeot moved to the carbon ones now....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I don't think Peugeot will be at Le Castellet. They will be at Spa though, so that could be a true classic.

As for the materials used. This looks like a very crude version and perhaps the actual racing cars will use carbon struts.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

have to find a way to stream that race.....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

lol...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

And it seems that Audi went with a single piece front diffuser for the '10 R15. I can think of 4 reasons:

1-Peugeot's whining.

2-Useful design exercise for the R15's 2011 replacement.

3-Front end areo efficency in straight line blasts wasn't the orignial R15's fort, as it was originaly designed for the ALMS. The rear section of the channels worked as intended, but the front sections(from behind the front diffuser and down the first half of the sidepods) caused too much drag. Yes, at Sebring and PLM, the R15 was competive with the 908 in straigtline speed, but how much of that was down to the R15's cornering in high speed corners(most of the passes that Audis made on Peugeots at those events was in braking for or coming out of corners). At LM, though, the channels allowed Audi to eventually run laptimes competitive with the fastest Peugeots, but a 5-10mph speed gap equaled being 1-3 seconds a lap slower early on.

And 4-Gives them one less thing to worry about. Back to point 3, some of the front end areo difficulties could've been attrubuted to the front flap. How many times do drivers use the adjustable front wings on F1 cars? Probably not often. It's just a distraction and on of marginal effectiveness and would probably be better replaced with true ballast. And when you have something like that that's adjustable, it's just one more thing to work on-and risk getting wrong, and isn't something that's easy to fix as dive planes or more conventional areo aides are.

It may be butt-ugly, but I though the same of the original R15 and the R10, but they grew on me. It may be that Audi designers were reading a little too much vampire literature(Twilight Saga novels(though Twilight vampires don't have fangs), True Blood, Vampire Kisses, or they had teenage daughters who own all kinds of Twilight and VK stuff). And it may be butt-ugly, but if it works better for Audi, especially at LM, then I'm for it.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

I think its mainly point 1.....the R15 as it was can probably be trimmed out eventually, but they simply did not test enough time to get the car worked out as well as it could've been. And then with the "rule clarification", basically means they have to redo it any way, might as well get it all redesigned....

All things considered though, I did not expect this much of an redesign....looks like most of the rear channels are gone, which I though was one really clever part and was used widely by Lola since forever(though not to the extend of the R15), and now it looks to be much more conventional....

The picture looks kinda strange though with that bright spot right under the nose, I can't quite figure out why the light will be reflected off that...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The bright spot you are seeing is straight through the car. There looks to be a splitter in front of the cockpit, and some of the air coming in the nose is being shoved out the side, with little in the way to slow it down.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Thread Information